• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I was playing RE8, and something dumb came to mind:

Who would survive an impossible game of SAW longer?
1621525915212_compress74.jpg

The writers of these games hate these characters, lmao

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
That's possible sure.

But I'm really not convinced at all that E3 won't be at the very least a semi-big drop.

Everyone is here+Daisy+Ridley 2018

Hero+Banjo 2019

Had 2020 had one, probably Min Min and Steve, in fact, considering Steve was likely to be released in September due to the blog post shuffling, I'd say that'd almost be a guaranteed thing, again had E32020 been a thing.

Even if I'm only banking on one reveal, I have faith in the team that whoever they show off in E3 will at the very least make me exclaim "Oh wow."
I'm also pretty certain that Steve was at least meant to be teased at E3, the same way Joker, Banjo and Terry were. Steve's tournament was supposed to happen at least a month earlier. Instead, they used the "Stay light on your feet" tournament to replace it since, of course, he wasn't released.

And the DLC was always meant to be finished in 2021. They already knew they would have two E3 presentations. I really doubt, while ordering their reveals, that they decided to throw a character that's not extremely pleasing or surprising in a good way.

A double reveal would be hard to pull off, since they apparently decided to change their plans and reveal their characters close to the release now, but if they do I'm certain it would be a surprise for most of us, and a good one.

Frankly, assumption and logic would be to only reveal one character and release it two weeks later, but the two final characters both revealed at E3? Now that would be awesome to finish the DLC like that.

Except if the final characters are Cat Mario and Pikachu Without A Tail.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Can’t see why people continue to bring up why Sora needs Disney characters to remain faithful to the series.
Sure Sakurai tries following source material, but it’s not always 100% accurate..... Ganandorf or Cloud for example.
He takes liberties with some aspects of the characters and their series for sure.
Mai is a huge staple for KofF, yet nowhere to be seen.

Sure , Disney is a big part of Kingdom Hearts, but it doesn’t define the story. Sora has appeared without Donald and Goofy a few times before, and has plenty of other source material to pull from. Not only that, whose to say they aren’t mentioned or reference via text or by other characters? It’s not like every rpg character in this game has their supporting cast mentioned.

Also unpopular opinion, but he is a 3rd party character. No idea why him being owned by a bigger company changes that. Disney literally have/had their own gaming division for awhile. No different from Amazon or Google coming out with their own original video game characters.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Can’t see why people continue to bring up why Sora needs Disney characters to remain faithful to the series.
Sure Sakurai tries following source material, but it’s not always 100% accurate..... Ganandorf or Cloud for example.
He takes liberties with some aspects of the characters and their series for sure.
Mai is a huge staple for KofF, yet nowhere to be seen.

Sure , Disney is a big part of Kingdom Hearts, but it doesn’t define the story. Sora has appeared without Donald and Goofy a few times before, and has plenty of other source material to pull from. Not only that, whose to say they aren’t mentioned or reference via text or by other characters? It’s not like every rpg character in this game has their supporting cast mentioned.

Also unpopular opinion, but he is a 3rd party character. No idea why him being owned by a bigger company changes that. Disney literally have/had their own gaming division for awhile. No different from Amazon or Google coming out with their own original video game characters.
You cannot have Sora playable and be unable to scream at Donald for not healing you.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I do wonder if Sora would be seen as a "waste" without the Disney stuff. Half of Kingdom Heart's appeal is the Disney content, right?

(I don't play Kingdom Hearts or really know anything about it depiste being a huge Disney fan).
KH is in a weird grey area with Disney. It was created with that in mind and you'd be taking g away its identity if you stripped away from the series by itself, but it's not necessarily required for its original characters to make appearances outside the series.

D

Deleted member

You cannot have Sora playable and be unable to scream at Donald for not healing you.
Everyone always makes that joke, but I was never in that situation. Donald was always pretty good with healing for me. Probably because I managed his settings so he'd be more conservative with his MP. I think if you left it alone in the games and didn't monitor his settings, he'd blow all his MP immediately like every battle, which is why he could never heal when the time came.

If you don't modify what is naturally set up for him, he runs out of MP quickly and in the middle of a boss battle when you need it most, he'll be out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Everyone always makes that joke, but I was never in that situation. Donald was always pretty good with healing for me. Probably because I managed his settings so he'd be more conservative with his MP. I think if you left it alone in the games and didn't monitor his settings, he'd blow all his MP immediately like every battle, which is why he could never heal when the time came.
Found the Donald Duck.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Joker, Banjo and Terry
Don't you just mean Hero and Banjo? Joker was revealed/released beforehand, and Terry wasn't revealed until September.

And wouldn't Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo tier hype still be "hype", but not the same way Steve was?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Don't you just mean Hero and Banjo? Joker was revealed/released beforehand, and Terry wasn't revealed until September.

And wouldn't Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo tier hype still be "hype", but not the same way Steve was?
I meant how they were teased but not revealed immediately, though I can understand my post making it sound like I was focusing on E3.
Joker was revealed at the VGA 2018 but only released five months later, and Terry was briefly teased in a September direct only to be released two months later.
My bad for the wording.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Something I'm wondering about: If Smash Bros. could get another summoning item (similar to Pokeballs and Assist Trophies), what would be great candidates for it?

I'm thinking something like a trading card game item (as in a card that summons something), but I'm not sure what (my first thought is Yu-Gi-Oh!, but that didn't start as a video game, which would make it ineligible for Smash); any help there?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Something I'm wondering about: If Smash Bros. could get another summoning item (similar to Pokeballs and Assist Trophies), what would be great candidates for it?

I'm thinking something like a trading card game item (as in a card that summons something), but I'm not sure what (my first thought is Yu-Gi-Oh!, but that didn't start as a video game, which would make it ineligible for Smash); any help there?
Once I had an idea for summoning the Blades from XC2 to help you out. Then again, given how they had to ditch a Rex/Pyra tag-team to avoid overloading the Switch...

Paraster

Smash Lord

The Smash Infinite thread added something like that exclusively for Fire Emblem characters (based on a thing from Heroes, apparently).

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Two examples come to mind.
Core crystals from Xenoblade 2 to summon Blade characters, or something more niche...

Billy Hatcher's eggs. I recall these having tons of weird animals and I loved the concept when I first played it.
Really should try playing it again someday.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Core crystals from Xenoblade 2 to summon Blade characters, or something more niche...

Billy Hatcher's eggs. I recall these having tons of weird animals and I loved the concept when I first played it.
Hooray for Billy Hatcher acknowledgment!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I’ve always wanted to see a summon item for various Punch Out fighters to emerge and do a unique attack. Make Glass Joe the Goldeen equivalent (with what damage he does do being pitifully small) and we’d be set.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Since Sakurai loves Fire Emblem so damn much, he missed a great opportunity to have FE characters summonable by that kind of item instead of ATs.
Sakurai preparing to add dozens of new Fire Emblem characters as summons to the game after they get their own Poke Ball category of summoning, colorized.

Sakurai Knows Smash Bros. Has Too Many Fire Emblem Characters, But It's  Nintendo's Fault - Nintendo Life

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
  • There is the Breidablik weapon from Fire Emblem Heroes that is used to summon the Fire Emblem characters.
  • Xenoblade 2 has the Core Crystals that can summon the Blades.
  • In Kirby Star Allies, there is the Heart Spear that hit Kirby and allowed him to create Friend Hearts, which allowed him to befriend enemies. You could use the Heart Spear or Friend Heart as an item to summon Kirby allies like Knuckle Joe or Bonkers.
  • Monster Hunter has the Hunting Horn Item, not the Weapon, the Item, which is used to attract monsters in-game, but could be used in Smash to summon monsters like Rathalos.
  • Custom Robo has the Robo Cube which holds the Robos.
  • There's Culdcept and it's list of cards, not to mention it's card design stands out well. Most of them tend to be generic monsters like Goblins, Minotaurs, Griffons, etc, but there are some cool unique-looking monsters like the Armored Dragon, Rahab, Dark Master, Armed Princess and Gearion.
That said, the most likely candidates would probably be Breidablik and the Core Crystals. Sakurai would probably make something unique for the Kirby allies rather than use something from a modern Kirby game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I’ve always wanted to see a summon item for various Punch Out fighters to emerge and do a unique attack. Make Glass Joe the Goldeen equivalent (with what damage he does do being pitifully small) and we’d be set.
To be fair, Goldeen can't do that much. Actually, is there any Pokemon who is just plain weak among the Pokeballs? Not 0 damage weak, but bad output. I feel like it might be one of the various 1st form starters?

Anyway, now I want to see Glass Joe fall into water and suddenly erupt with power(since that's the whole joke behind Goldeen. It sucks on land, but is badass in water).

Technomage

Smash Champion
Another idea I have for new summoning item: Since Bandai-Namco is developing the game, the Digivices from Digimon could have been a great idea for a summoning item, as well as an idea that wouldn't be that much of a hassle to add despite B-N being third-party.

Now I'm starting to like the idea of Digimon content getting in the game and Agumon getting into the roster (the latter of which could open the floodgates for Digimon summons). That's leading me to make up a list of Digimon (and other digital entities in the series) I would love to see if that idea were to be implemented; here it is:

Agumon (if Digimon does NOT get a playable rep)
Greymon
Guilmon
Impmon
Renamon
Gabumon
Angewomon (though with a little bit of censorship so she could get in)
Gatomon
Veemon
Omnimon
Puppetmon
Eaters from Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Arata Sanada (in his human-Eater fusion form)
Kyoko Kuremi (appearing in both her human form and her Alphamon form)
Takumi/Ami Aiba (maybe he/she could use his/her Connect Jump ability in a similar vein to Abra's Teleport ability?)

Anyone else got a list of Digimon summons?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Let me ask y'all:

Fighters Pass 1 ended on a first party most didn't receive well, right?
Do you guys think Nintendo will end Fighters Pass 2 on a similar note or no? Notice I said will because they COULD but I personally hope they don't.
Yes. Keep in mind the characters were locked in when the devs could blissfully assume the general reaction to Byleth was "at least they have axe and spear moves".

Technomage

Smash Champion
Sakurai preparing to add dozens of new Fire Emblem characters as summons to the game after they get their own Poke Ball category of summoning, colorized.

Sakurai Knows Smash Bros. Has Too Many Fire Emblem Characters, But It's  Nintendo's Fault - Nintendo Life's  Nintendo's Fault - Nintendo Life
I'd personally, unironically be okay with that compared to yet another FE guy on the roster (could also reduce the chances of having to add MORE FE fighters to the playable roster).

Let me ask y'all:

Do you guys think Nintendo will end Fighters Pass 2 on a similar note or no? Notice I said will because they COULD but I personally hope they don't.
There's a small chance they might, but they'd have to be dumber than Patrick Star to repeat that mistake again.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Let me ask y'all:

I think the character will not be someone completely unexpected, and with a sizeable fanbase. Maybe even extremely popular.

No matter who it is, he won't be received well, though. Because this character, whoever it is, will bring the end of the roster for Ultimate.
And just for that you'll have poor reception, so it's almost impossible for Nintendo to get a positively seen final character simply due to all the salt that will be produced.

You all know that I'm right. There'll be a ton of people pissed no matter who it is. Because it'll be the end of the roster.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Yes. Keep in mind the characters were locked in when the devs could blissfully assume the general reaction to Byleth was "at least they have axe and spear moves".
Interesting take. I think that depending on the final moves design for FP11, the general public may or may not be satisfied with the character, which aligns with what you said the devs went in thinking as Byleth was developed.

There's a small chance they might, but they'd have to be dumber than Patrick Star to repeat that mistake again.
I'm gonna have to personally agree with you on that, UNLESS the marketing reason makes a lot of sense...

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

You could also hatch Sonic himself from an egg which was rather disturbing looking back

Technomage

Smash Champion
I think the character will not be someone completely unexpected, and with a sizeable fanbase. Maybe even extremely popular.

No matter who it is, he won't be received well, though. Because this character, whoever it is, will bring the end of the roster for Ultimate.
And just for that you'll have poor reception, so it's almost impossible for Nintendo to get a positively seen final character simply due to all the salt that will be produced.

You all know that I'm right. There'll be a ton of people pissed no matter who it is. Because it'll be the end of the roster.
You bring up a good argument, though that does bring up a question: What characters would generate the least amount of salt in that situation?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

This makes a lot of sense, can't lie. After all, most Smash fans may want "more".

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
You bring up a good argument, though that does bring up a question: What characters would generate the least amount of salt in that situation?
Honestly dude, only a few stick out in my head:

Sora
Kratos
Master Chief

Y'all are welcome to argue for or against these three concerning Technomage Technomage 's comment, or even add characters of your own who could fit this bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom