• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Assuming we got a Tales character, do y’all think Yuri or Lloyd would make it in? I’m leaning Yuri just because they’d be able to resell the Lloyd Mii & Yuri has more overall popularity, plus Vesperia DE is on Switch. It could easily go the other way around though.
Speaking seriously, I'm leaning Lloyd. Tales of Symphonia made the series big, he was the sole representation of the series in Smash 4 with the Mii, and most importantly, he's been a popular request for a while. Minus the Mii Costume, obviously, it feels pretty similar to Cloud.
Yuri is very much the champion of the dedicated Tales fanbase, but I feel like Nintendo would want to appeal to the wider audience. Even if Vesperia and Berseria has the recency, Symphonia is still considered the archetypal Tales game (Even if it's a bit dated compared to the newer installments) and is more recognizable to the general public. And again, Lloyd is a popular Smash request, so he would appeal more to the fans of Nintendo's own games.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
In fairness, for the first time since Incineroar - Sephiroth's counter is actually kind of unique, even if not quite as cool as Incin's.
True, but Akuma's counter isn't really unique. Unless the fact that you can select one of two attacks once is activated is enough for you. Personally I'd hate that in his moveset.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
There is a difference between buying skins for the only customizable characters in the game or completely updating old/creating new stages and featuring them by themselves and trying to get people to buy a character made from reusing assets from a character that is already in the game and that at best ends up like Ken and at worst ends up like Daisy.
Mii character costumes are literally reusing all animation assets. Echoes require MORE unique assets than Mii costumes. I don't know wtf this argument even is.

What do you mean she’d be another shoto?
She literally is.

Not that it matters. Because being a shoto is kinda irrelevant in Smash. A projectile and a rising physical attack? That's like 90% of the roster.

Mai "Smash is for good boys and girls" Shiranui needs to point you no further to see why.
The issue with Mai is the upskirting. An issue Morrigan doesn't suffer from.

Morrigan is much closer to Bayonetta than she is to Mai.

.....But Smash is also E+10, and Morrighan's design would need to be altered heavily for two very BIG reasons, and if Mai wasn't afforded that luxury, I doubt Morrighan would either.
If Mai wasn't worth the effort, despite her basically being SNK's poster girl, I just don't see Morrighan getting lucky.
You're comparing what would have been a background character to a potential playable character. One is worth putting work into, the other isn't.

Am I the only one who would rather have Demitri over Morrigan? I know Morrigan is the breakout character for the series, but Demitri is the MC after all.
He's really not after the first game.

Any chance Smash has to actually include a female protag, they should take. Because they aren't common.

Kinda think they'd not want Midnight Bliss because then they'd have to make an official Bowsette.
They'd have to make Everyonesettes. At that point, might as well add the Super Crown too.

Morrigan, despite being a succubus, is still fairly tame for the most part.
Especially for a video game succunus. Compare her to, say, Symphony of the Night's, or Diablo's.

Bandana Dee isnt important. Hes nowhere near the level of those you mentioned. Hes a D- tier character. He would be disliked more than byleth.
More than Byleth? No ****ing way. Kirby is a more beloved franchise with much less representation.

I highly doubt you'd think Smash really needed the Ice Climbers if they didn't already join.
I mean... I wouldn't either.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So whose everyone's most wanted Capcom rep?

I ask given the recent leak of Chun-Li.
Semi-realistically I'd have to go with Chunners herself. On top of just loving the character, it would just be really satisfying to see her there and I would really enjoy some additional Street Fighter content from Alpha and SFIII series. I'd genuinely be very happy to have just about anyone from Capcom.

My pipe dream pick would be Morrigan because I absolutely love Darkstalkers. Its distinct vibe would mesh perfectly with Smash and I'd get so much joy out of seeing how much love Sakurai can pour into celebrating such a special game. Maybe it could be the push necessary to give the series a breath of new life, too.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Assuming we got a Tales character, do y’all think Yuri or Lloyd would make it in? I’m leaning Yuri just because they’d be able to resell the Lloyd Mii & Yuri has more overall popularity, plus Vesperia DE is on Switch. It could easily go the other way around though.
Yuri becuase I think hes neat

SKX31

Smash Master

For me it'd be Amaterasu/Phoenix Wright (Can't choose).
Still with Dante as most wanted Capcom character (if only because he'd be bonkers to play as hell and I love that), with Amaterasu and Phoenix in close contention. Although I'm not going to mind any Capcom choice really.

Also, I've been thinking of creating a new support thread for:

piano.png

:4pacman: [Source (Smash Remix) here.]

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Still with Dante as most wanted Capcom character (if only because he'd be bonkers to play as hell and I love that), with Amaterasu and Phoenix in close contention. Although I'm not going to mind any Capcom choice really.

Also, I've been thinking of creating a new support thread for:

View attachment 297046

:4pacman: [Source (Smash Remix) here.]
I mean, why not? It's a character for all intents and purposes. Not sure it'd get any real support, but, hey, it's a hilarious addition~

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Ammy, Okami is an amazing game with so much love put into it and Ammy would be a fun character to have due to her different weapons and abilities. She does fall short of some of the other candidates like Dante due to being more niche, but if they were ever going to dig a little deep into Capcom's roster I'd want them to go for her.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

After Megaman and Ryu, I don't have a clear favorite, but I'd have to say Nathan Spencer.

Would be a character that's all about grabbing from afar, with a few projectile weapons like a short range rifle. Grenades, lasers, spreadshots. But his main gimmick would have to be his bionic arm.

Most likely would be bad at returning to the stage, but he'd be a master at navigating around it, being able to swing a few times underneath it.

Think of the best tethers in the game, he'd probably have them all too.

(And he'd have at least 2 costumes to choose from, NES/remake, and modern dreadlocks).

Chances for him don't look too hot, even though he's been in 2 MvC games, they'd go for a RE, MH, or another SF character. Maybe Arthur or Amaterasu if we're Lucky. Oh and of course Dante is likely too imo.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Capcom and Sega have the same damn problem: too many good candidates for characters

Why did they have to be so good at their jobs
Same goes for Square Enix too. Between 2B, Lara Croft, Neku, Tiz, Agnès, many other possible FF reps since there's so many choices, and even Sora if you count him, they just have too much choices.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Same goes for Square Enix too. Between 2B, Lara Croft, Neku, Tiz, Agnès, many other possible FF reps since there's so many choices, and even Sora if you count him, they just have too much choices.
if we get a fourth S-E rep in a hypothetical pass 3 im hella hoping its Neku

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In terms of the Bandanna Dee discussion earlier: I will start by saying that I have played a handful of newer Kirby games, enjoy them, and look forward to new ones. I have played more Kirby games than I have played older ones.

That said, when it comes to Smash, Bandanna Dee just...does basically nothing for me. The moveset options I’ve heard are “he stabs things” or “kitchen sink waddle Dee” and neither of those things excite me. Other options I am interested, or options I hadn’t considered before that have different unique traits are far more exciting to me as a concept, especially if it’s a $5.99 pack (although I myself have already purchased the season pass).

That said I understand why people might have a connection with the character, whether it’s because of the presence it has in newer games (though in Robobot he kinda just stands there and gives power ups). I’m not gonna say the character is an objectively bad pick when it’s not an objective matter.

I just think people are looking for characters , and when you hear stuff like Sephiroth, Steve Minecraft, or the prospect of Chun-Li, that gets people excited. Some characters bring things with them, such as Sephiroth being...Sephiroth, among the iconic villains in gaming, while Steve is the icon of a generation, I would say. Now, this doesn’t mean BWD can’t or shouldn’t get in, I’m just looking at the perspective of why people are excited about picks that those compared to BWD, including myself.

I wouldn’t say I’m anti-Bandanna Waddle Dee as much as I am far more pro other characters because they are far more interesting to me.

I don’t agree with the smack talking on social media, even if I hold that opinion.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Speaking seriously, I'm leaning Lloyd. Tales of Symphonia made the series big, he was the sole representation of the series in Smash 4 with the Mii, and most importantly, he's been a popular request for a while. Minus the Mii Costume, obviously, it feels pretty similar to Cloud.
Yuri is very much the champion of the dedicated Tales fanbase, but I feel like Nintendo would want to appeal to the wider audience. Even if Vesperia and Berseria has the recency, Symphonia is still considered the archetypal Tales game (Even if it's a bit dated compared to the newer installments) and is more recognizable to the general public. And again, Lloyd is a popular Smash request, so he would appeal more to the fans of Nintendo's own games.
To add on to this point, I believe it's prudent to reference the Sakurai interview where he talked about Lloyd's Mii Costume (also the same interview as the Geno comment, so take it with a grain of salt I guess).
The Tales series has 20 years of history, how did you decide on Lloyd for the costume?

Sakurai: I’m not sure if there was any other appropriate choice?
It seems that Lloyd is THE Tales of character pick when it comes to Smash Bros. Now, whether Sakurai thinks that the costume is enough for his representation is another question altogether, but when it comes to a Tales of rep I definitely think Lloyd is the most likely pick.

Last edited:

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Capcom and considering Monster Hunter Rise coming for the Switch, I`m wondering how people on here would feel about getting a Monster Hunter character as a rep. It`s something that a lot of people think might be likely, but I haven`t seen overwhelming support the same way it exists for Dante, Pheonix Wright, and now Chun-Li.

Ivander

Smash Legend

1. Monster Hunter
2. Amaterasu
3. Ryu from Breath of Fire
4. Viewtiful Joe
5. Arthur
Honorable Mention: G-Red
Capcom and Sega have the same damn problem: too many good candidates for characters

Why did they have to be so good at their jobs
Sega and Konami would be in the same boat if they actually used their other IPs...grumble grumble...
Speaking of Capcom and considering Monster Hunter Rise coming for the Switch, I`m wondering how people on here would feel about getting a Monster Hunter character as a rep. It`s something that a lot of people think might be likely, but I haven`t seen overwhelming support the same way it exists for Dante, Pheonix Wright, and now Chun-Li.
Should've seen the support when Monster Hunter Rise was first announced.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Probably Lloyd, largely due to his connection with the Smash fan base on top of Sakurai's prior statement. Between the two I would definitely prefer Yuri having completed his game back on the 360, and I very much like his character. I did try to give Symphonia a go back in the gamecube days, but I was surprised when I didn't really enjoy it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sega and Konami would be in the same boat if they actually used their other IPs...grumble grumble...
Wait, SEGA IS using their ips.
I realise the thought is a knee jerk for all these years of doing mostly just Sonic and Yakuza, but hey, Panzer Dragon, Sakura Wars, Streets of Rage, Wonder Boy / Monster World are back, and next year we're getting a new Virtua Fighter and Alex Kidd.
Didn't Shenmue and PSO2 come back also?

I think SEGA is in a good place when it comes to their ips.
...regarding Smash though? If we don't count Joker and Bayo, then it's a completely different story. :(

ZelDan

Smash Master
As a huge fan of Kirby, Bandana Waddle Dee is a character I'm largely neutral on. Wouldn't be upset at him getting included, but there are a good number of other characters I would rather see included.

Also, while the 3DS Kirby games are indeed great, Return to Dreamland on the Wii was also great.

Also, while Robobot is great, I have a hard time calling it the best Kirby game just because of the **** move the game pulls at the end of its true arena. Maybe comes across as petty, but that stunt really goddamn sucked.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
In regards to a Capcom rep my highest want is Arthur but the odds are slim. Wouldn't mind Captain Commando, Bionic Commando or another Mega Man rep of some sort (A robot master would be neat but would be less likely than Protoman, Roll or Sigma). If it turns out Chun-Li is next I wouldn't even be all that mad. She's rad. Though an RE rep is sorely needed imo.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
As for Morrigan,

literal terminology aside, Shoto is just FGC term for any character who's special moves involve a hadouken like move, a shoryuken like, and a tatsumaki senpuukyaku. Inputs and all.

Morrigan has at least 2 of these. That's half the special moves.

However, her side+b could be that move where she hovers forward and command grabs opponent. Though would be fantastic to see her Morricide with the opponent when doing it offstage.

Don't let me rain on your parade if you're excited for her, maybe similarities stop on those two moves.

I would love most of these characters, but for the reasons I listed, their sweet reveals would have a pinch of sour for me, personally.
Yes I know I play games other than smash and I play lots of fighting games :)

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As a Kirby diehard fan, Bandana Dee is tricky for me. I love the little guy and would be ecstatic to see him make it in, but I'll also admit that I would take several other Kirby choices over him. Most notably Susie from Robobot: Here's a trailer Nintendo made for her Star Allies moveset for those curious about what she can do. She's also, in my personal opinion, one of the more interesting Kirby characters we've gotten in a while due to the different lore surrounding her and Haltmann. Robobot is also just an incredible game, and I'd love to see more content make it in to Smash.

At the end of the day, though, I just want literally anything modern Kirby. Sakurai kinda acts like nothing past Air Ride exists, and I'm honestly kind of sick of it. :drsad:

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Arthur. It's always been Arthur. Or at least, it's been Arthur since Mega Man was added.

I just posted this yesterday, but:
1. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
2. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
3. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
4. Dante [Devil May Cry]
5. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
6. Amaterasu [Okami]
7. Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
8. Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
9. Strider Hiryu [Strider]
10. Mike Haggar [Final Fight]
11. Zero [Mega Man X]
12. Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People who dunk on Tales of Symphonia and praise the later entries are kind of like the people who dunk on Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII.

Even if they aren't the objective best games, they are among the franchise's most important and have a lot of historical significance.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
People who dunk on Tales of Symphonia and praise the later entries are kind of like the people who dunk on Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII.

Even if they aren't the objective best games, they are among the franchise's most important.
From what I can gather, it's like Tales' Ys VI. It solidified the series' formula and broke it into the third dimension (Though Ys VI still used sprites in some cases), but due to being the beginning of the modern games it's fairly clunky in some spots.

Granted I haven't played either games and a lot of people here don't know about Ys VI so I probably sound like a rambling loon right now :drshrug:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wait, SEGA IS using their ips.
I realise the thought is a knee jerk for all these years of doing mostly just Sonic and Yakuza, but hey, Panzer Dragon, Sakura Wars, Streets of Rage, Wonder Boy / Monster World are back, and next year we're getting a new Virtua Fighter and Alex Kidd.
Didn't Shenmue and PSO2 come back also?
True. It's just more that when it comes to their advertising, Sonic and Yakuza are mostly the ones they advertise. But it's true that lately, they have released more games for more of their IPs than just Sonic and Yakuza. I guess it's a me thing because aside from Streets of Rage and Panzer Dragoon, there's still no attention for Jet Set Radio(seriously, why has Future not gotten a re-release?), Shining Force, Gunstar/Guardian Heroes, Shinobi, Billy Hatcher, Skies of Arcadia....yeah.

And yeah, Phantasy Star is getting New Genesis....and I'm still waiting for them to fix the storage issues.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Even if they aren't the objective best games, they are among the franchise's most important and have a lot of historical significance.
As someone who still needs to play Symphonia, I'm not trying to "dunk" on Symphonia: I think the game is great! I just personally like Yuri more and would like to see him more because Vesperia is my favorite Tales.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I think Lloyd is more likely after seeing all the other replies to your comment.

I would like to ask, however, is which of the two has higher potential for a unique moveset?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As someone who still needs to play Symphonia, I'm not trying to "dunk" on Symphonia: I think the game is great! I just personally like Yuri more and would like to see him more because Vesperia is my favorite Tales.
Then I wasn't talking about you. :p

Shroob

Sup?
I'm gonna be the dark horse and say Yuri, JUST because I don't expect any of the Mii outfits to be upgraded and nothing more. I 100% expect the MonHun costumes in March, leaving only Lloyd left. :drshrug:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So in terms of translating fighting game mechanics, it seems that the devs have taken slightly different approaches:
  • Ryu, Ken, and Terry face their opponent in 1v1s, but Min Min does not even though that is a mechanic in ARMS as well.
  • Ryu, Ken, and Terry can cancel certain normal moves into Special Moves, though the shotos have more cancelable attacks than Terry does.
  • Terry has a dodge attack which seems to be taken from one of the King of Fighters games.
  • Terry has Super Special Moves, allowing him to use his supers in normal gameplay. I wonder if this is because Fatal Fury or King of Fighters has more emphasis on supers than Street Fighter does.
  • Min Min has a lot of buttons that do the same thing, giving her versatile punch attacks in order to emulate ARMS.
ARMS is the odd one out, so obviously Min Min is going to be handled differently, but I wonder if Terry's Super Special Moves are a result of trying to get him to stand out or if they are a nod to the series he comes from. The other thing I'd like to ask is what mechanics would other fighting game characters bring? I'm including all types of fighting games, so arena fighters, platform fighters, traditional fighters, etc. are all eligible for this discussion.

Chun-Ali Fabulous she Ali Ababwa!

I'm sorry, I had to.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Frankly I just like Dee

I know he wouldn't set the world on fire with his inclusion, nor would he necessarily bring the most unique moveset to the table, nor would he bring a whole new world of content with him, but

I just like him

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think Lloyd is more likely after seeing all the other replies to your comment.

I would like to ask, however, is which of the two has higher potential for a unique moveset?
Lloyd, I think. He has two swords, something that's only really been tried once, while Yuri only has one. Granted, Yuri has some martial arts and acrobatics, but Lloyd I think has more room for uniqueness. Yuri can also use an axe, but it doesn't have much gameplay changes and he's as much of an axe fighter as Ike. At best he'd probably just trade out his sword for an axe in an alt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom