• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I really don't care who CP11 is to be honest. If it were Sora I'd literally cry, but I gave up any real hope of Sora being in Smash a long time ago. I know that it's a huge shot in the dark, and I'm prepared for the final fighter to be like...Waluigi or Nahobino or Cinderace (Bass Boosted Drifting Soul Begins Playing...) or some character I don't really care for. And that's okay.

I got Joker as the first DLC fighter which was a huge dub for TPC and a legendary Smashboards moment IMO, so I'm content.
I forgot he actually had an account here lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another rep to keep an eye on.

Apex Legends.
Ehhhhhhhhhhh

I’m not so sure about that now

the least I can see it being is an advance negotiation for next smash or Ultimate Deluxe or something

but idk. I’m getting Dante-in-Base/Ryza CP7 vibes from that Apex leak. The game info is right but it just threw in Smash info that’s obviously fake just to get attention

D

Deleted member

View attachment 332341
ACTUAL FOOTAGE of Momo, watching and pretending to know what is going on.
I was ready to write that post off as malding until they called Banjo a Mario semi-clone. You know what you're doing at that point; nice bait.
There are people who have said that post became a /v/ sensation so it might be my magnum opus.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
STEVE!!!! and Alex

Steve is the embodiment of freedom and creativity, I love it. This IS one of, if not the best designed characters in Smash. The amount of ways the character can be played and strategies that come from it are mind boggling. My general strategy is to spend my first stock using wooden equipment to mine and deal damage that way the next stock can be used with diamond/gold equipment. But someone else may not even consider that playstyle. There is no definitive flowchart. I appreciate it when an individual character offers a variety of ways to play them, and Steve does just that. Also the guy is just funny looking. In hindsight it really was stupid to suggest that his stiff animations couldn't make him work as a fighter, cause that's honestly the best part of the guy. Also his Final Smash is "Creeper, aw man", what's not to like.

He came with technically 5 stages and they're all solid.

And while I wasn't familiar with the OST (technically I'm still not), I enjoyed what we got considering that almost all of them were remixes.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I feel like the most popular trending games like Fortnite and Apex Legends. They aren't making it since they do have an impact, but I feel like other characters like Sephiroth, Steve and the other DLC fighters have more Video Game history impact.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
These are both good suggestions, and I'll probably get to them someday! Worth noting that I'm planning on doing this on a game-by-game basis (so for example, even if I did a writeup on OutRun now, I could still do a writeup on, say, Turbo OutRun or OutRun 2 someday), so the classic Phantasy Stars could actually each get their own separate writeups.

Also I get you, tbh. I will say the whole deal with William Hatcherson is far from a Smashboards-specific thing, but I think there is a point where I should pump the brakes a bit and remember that were it not for me constantly having to deal with people treating him as the Greatest Thing SEGA Have Ever Made and basically treating him as a mainstay (when oftentimes there's plenty of big series they're completely ignoring), I'd probably just see him as a funny little chicken man and nothing else. I do very much enjoy dunking on Billy and I still probably won't give him his own writeup, like, ever, but I suppose it's gotten a bit much, hasn't it
Makes sense, especially as each games have kind of an extensive history and weren't even made by the same teams (I and II were made by one team, then III was another and IV was yet another, from what I remember). Could be an interesting series, if a bit long, but I'd love to read it!

Also, I'm just more confused than anything else, mostly because I don't think I've ever seen anyone treat Billy that way. At best I've seen some remember his game as "that janky-but-still-kinda-fun platformer that Sega did once and they played on their GC". And like I said, I've only seen a single user bring him up faily often in this thread. Was it something on another site? I don't frequent Smash Twitter or SmashFAQS, so I wouldn't know.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Was it something on another site? I don't frequent Smash Twitter or SmashFAQS, so I wouldn't know.
It's just kind of a General Internet Thing tbh. I understand the game just having a following, but I think the point I see someone on Discord put together a selection of 6 potential new SEGA reps and Billy is one of them is probably the point where I really gotta acknowledge something ain't right here

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like the most popular trending games like Fortnite and Apex Legends. They aren't making it since they do have an impact, but I feel like other characters like Sephiroth, Steve and the other DLC fighters have more an Video Game history impact.
Jonesy Fortnitetale has a hell of an argument to be someone who made video game history what with that gargantuan prize pool at that Fortnite tournament some years ago. Fortnite's got that swagger of being a game that didn't invent its genre but ended up defining it (for better or worse) and Nintendo and Fortnite have made for strange bedfellows recently in ways that are honest to God frightening. I don't see it happening but not for lack of having tons of reasons to happen, you know?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It's just kind of a General Internet Thing tbh. I understand the game just having a following, but I think the point I see someone on Discord put together a selection of 6 potential new SEGA reps and Billy is one of them is probably the point where I really gotta acknowledge something ain't right here
Oh, Discord, gotcha. I was wondering why my personal experience with Billy being brought up was so different.

Still, I'd just chalk it up to being a Sega game they've played and liked. Like, let's be real, 90% of the time people will just build their predictions around personal wishlists lol. I won't be the one to say you have to like it, just don't let it get to your head. In fact, this is kinda why these writeups can be so cool - maybe share them on these Discords, if you can?

Speaking of, LoLpost part 2 later today.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
This is true, but in a game with Ultimate's online, I'd honestly rather have someone like Tibby with an amalgamation moveset using a ton of tools from various songs. Things like an Up Throw that has the floor from Fruit Basket pop them up, recovery using some Huebirds, maybe a forward tilt using the Frog Hop hip shove. Just so the character embodies that quirky Rhythm Heaven style and I don't have to worry about rhythm gimmicks that give me flashbacks to DK's bongos in laggy online lmao
Yes but at that point having a Rhythm Heaven character without rhythm is…kind of a waste

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Imagine being 30 years old and insulting someone because they like a character that got into Smash... jesus ****ing christ
And I thought I was bad at 17

You quoted that post in your previous post
Yeah, I know, But what is their name?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nice! Regarding stuns and slows, we kind of already have the former in Smash (like ZSS' Paralyzer or Corrin's... dragon projectile thing). It's a matter of balancing.
True but they're both very committal projectiles, and Dragon Fang Shot has to be charged for the stun effect to do anything. I think a garunteed stun effect on attacks that are already pretty strong is highly likely to lead to disaster.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
With four days left, it’s the question that cares:
In the (extremely) unlikely event that it comes to pass, how would you react to Ultimate or the next Smash game going multiplatform? This is purely hypothetical.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Can't wait for Dread Samus to be the new fighter. She can turn invisible on command. All players cry in horror as she stealthily boops you to death and zips zooms across the stage. ""Busted" said anonymous Smasher. "She made my hair grow back" said another.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
True but they're both very committal projectiles, and Dragon Fang Shot has to be charged for the stun effect to do anything. I think a garunteed stun effect on attacks that are already pretty strong is highly likely to lead to disaster.
But then all you need to do is make that stun last very little and the special attacks not that strong (in Annie's case). Which makes sense, on their own they shouldn't be that strong. Think of the stun as a way to extend your combos and kill-confirm at high percents, rather than a tool to be used in neutral.

Additionally, if the stun is dependent on stacks, you coul just make the player lose stacks with time, to prevent stalling until they get enough.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
bruh

I get not liking a character

but insulting their FANS is going too far

welp, another one for the ignore list…
Yeah, if you’re bitter and direct your wrath towards a character’s fans, then you’re not a fan, you’re just an [EXPLETIVE] hellbent on Dragging everybody down into the mud with you.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
In the (extremely) unlikely event that it comes to pass, how would you react to Ultimate or the next Smash game going multiplatform? This is purely hypothetical.
Smash Bros on PC? HELL YEAH! I kind of wish Nintendo would put their foot in the door into the PC space, especially when they could sell their roms on their store front and tackle their piracy problem.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I can understand that Banjo draws some ire as in the current speculation it can feel like seniority is a kingmaker, and that the only era of requests that matters a whole lot is the burrows of the Brawl trenches. The fact there was a war between Banjo and the main character of the best-selling game of all time really shows that the right type of nostalgia is powerful stuff.

EDIT: wait OP is a geno fan so it’s probably not what I’n describing since Geno is kind of the head honcho of that Brawl-or-nothing popularity measurement

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can understand that Banjo draws some ire as in the current speculation it can feel like seniority is a kingmaker, and that the only era of requests that matters a whole lot is the burrows of the Brawl trenches. The fact there was a war between Banjo and the main character of the best-selling game of all time really shows that the right type of nostalgia is powerful stuff.
The fact that a supporting character in a series that creates and casts off supporting characters like a buttefingered teenager with phones still constantly ranks top of fan polls shows how strong nostalgia, and more to the point, second hand nostalgia can be.

Due to the crimes of being born in Europe, and not knowing how to emulate, I wasn't able to play Super Mario RPG until it got a Wii Virtual Console release and the game really sucked me in, even after I'd played it's technically superior follow-ups. Mallow, Geno, all the characters were great. It even set the groundwork for Bowser's modern personality that we all know and love. Geno on an objective level isn't much but he represents something greater.

SKX31

Smash Master
Cautious to say the least, but it'd 100 % depend on how Nintendo would execute a multi-platform move. Such a move is not going to come unless the hardware becomes so unprofitable that they have to abandon it.

On one hand, going multi-plat would give one benefit: being able to buy / play Smash on other platforms would be convienient, and the various platforms could offer their own perks. On the other hand, multi-plat is potentially really wonky if not handled properly and can lead to certain versions being complete afterthoughts. The recent FIFA versions on the Switch come to mind as complete afterthoughts compared to the cashcows on Playstation and Xbox (with PC being a semi-distant third).

Smash Bros on PC? HELL YEAH!
There's an emulator that can run Ultimate called Yuzu...

Hold up, someone's knocking at my doo- OH **** NINTENDO NINJ- :4pacman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom