• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I can save you some time and effort by correcting you: Byleth and Min Min don't have figures, thus figure theory was bunk from the beginning.

The fact that it's still discussed is exactly why I said figure theory was one of my most disliked parts of Ultimate speculation.
How is it that when Sakurai states something as a matter of fact people still dispute it? I would understand if you had a gripe with people who insist it has to be an officially produced figure, but I think it's short sighted to say that a given character doesn't have a figure and as such the "theory" is bunk.

We live in an age where in about a day's time you can literally print a figure with basic articulation. If Sakurai and his team want a physical reference that can be posed, I bet you they can get one.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
How is it that when Sakurai states something as a matter of fact people still dispute it? I would understand if you had a gripe with people who insist it has to be an officially produced figure, but I think it's short sighted to say that a given character doesn't have a figure and as such the "theory" is bunk.

We live in an age where in about a day's time you can literally print a figure with basic articulation. If Sakurai and his team want a physical reference that can be posed, I bet you they can get one.
If Sakurai's team does use their own 3D printed figures, that still wouldn't help us narrow down who CP11 could be because we seem to be listing every character with an official figure. Either way, I'm convinced it doesn't matter.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I can save you some time and effort by correcting you: Byleth and Min Min don't have figures, thus figure theory was bunk from the beginning.

The fact that it's still discussed is exactly why I said figure theory was one of my most disliked parts of Ultimate speculation.
He said it after Pyra/Mythra released and he specefically said "a figure for the last 2 fighters" thus is still could be true.

Although like I said in my other posts, it doesn't really help speculation because pretty much every video game characters that are at least a little bit popular got a figure eventually.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
He said it after Pyra/Mythra released and he specefically said "a figure for the last 2 fighters" thus is still could be true.

Although like I said in my other posts, it doesn't really help speculation because pretty much every video game characters that are at least a little bit popular got a figure eventually.
Poor Rogue Galaxy ☹. I’m not sure that Magus from Chrono Trigger ever got a figure either. I might actually break down and spend big money if I ever saw a high quality Zegram or Magus figure. At least the Battletoads had rubber figures we bought as kids but our dog at the time chewed them up.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
To be fair I don't think Sakurai would bring attention to whether one of the last two fighters didn't have a figure or not. He's not one to lie, but he also tries to avoid saying things that would be misinterpreted or looked into too much. I can't see him saying "The figure for the last fighter is in the drawer because the other remaining fighter doesn't have a figure", that's opening two cans of worms.

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209

Please may I have a source for this?

I'm going by Mr. Sakurai Presents Pyra/Mythra, where he says:
After it's been decided that a character will join this game as a fighter, I often purchase 3D figures like these and share them with our modelling team as reference material. [...] I have a lot of figures at my desk in the office. I actually hide figures of unreleased fighters in a locked drawer. Not that we can go into the office right now.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The more you tease the crowd, the more fuel you are adding to the fire. Sakurai and Nintendo are doing a great job to keep the fans off the trail to maintain the surprise. At this point, all of us knows ONLY one will make it while the others are going to wait for another game if they want another shot for the fighter status.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
You seem to ignore the fact that they're just not going to add a third party plug a month before the game releases. IDK man, like why are you so fixated on the idea of Nahobino? If it's a blend of you being an actual fan and partially to just troll people who don't like blatant promo, I seriously don't get why you wouldn't just do Demi-Fiend. Nocturne is actually out and could feasibly be plugged even if smash rarely plugs remakes and due to said remake, not only is there existent attachment, but it's renewed by virtue of a remake. It's weird to me unless you just like SMT and want to troll with the one SMT character who one could think the smash fandom would react with a sizeable amount of hate towards.
You ignore the fact that SMT V is only not out in Japan yet because of things like the English dub that was just revealed(Nahobino STILL is a mute btw LOL), it is not some game that was announced two years ago and is just now being touched up to completion. Thinking that the main characters of a game revealed in 2017 wouldn’t be finalized by 2019 is foolish.

Nocturne stopped being relevant almost 20 years ago(SMT V has probably outsold Nocturne HD already), putting in Demi-Fiend just means Smash Ultimate dies immediately after his reveal and SMT gets little to no added recognition.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
doomguy has a figure
Yeah and so does Arle, Adol Christin, Pyramid head, Master chief, Raiden, Alucard, Lara Croft, Ezio Auditore, Jill Valentine, Frisk, Cadence, Natsuno from 13 sentinels aegis rim, that girl from Lollipop chainsaw, Earthworm Jim and so on.

Please may I have a source for this?

I'm going by Mr. Sakurai Presents Pyra/Mythra, where he says:
Oh sorry it seems I was wrong, I thought he said that it was the remaining fighters. But, wouldn't "unreleased fighters" imply that he had one for the last 2?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Wrong dub, the Netflix dub replaced Spike Spencer with Casey Mongillo, which is funny as they got a nonbinary actor for Nahobino, the peak of androgeny
I didn’t realize they redubbed the show. How does Casey’s performance compare with Spike’s?

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Oh sorry it seems I was wrong, I thought he said that it was the remaining fighters. But, wouldn't "unreleased fighters" imply that he had one for the last 2?
It doesn't necessarily imply anything for CP11. This is talking about the general development cycle. For example, if Kazuya has a figure (he probably does), Sakurai would've bought it, showed it to the modelling team, locked it in his drawer then taken it out once he was revealed.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alrighty, Byleth thoughts time.

I've said this before, but I really think they could and should have gone in a more interesting direction than just "give him ALL the weapons even though that doesn't entirely make sense!", but the execution of the idea is at least very good. Sure he's a standard swordfighter (which is ironically the thing they were trying to avoid), but the speed he lost for power makes most of his hits feel really satisfying to land. I say most of because for some reason they made his forward aerial a slap attack so it doesn't sound nearly as satisfying as everything else since you're expecting a chronchy stab.

As for Gerreg Mach Monastary, it's pretty fun, and that's an accomplishment considering it's just four walk-off stages in a trenchcoat. The little nuances really keep things fresh, and say what you will about the songs they didn't add, the songs they did add are all bangers.

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai's team does use their own 3D printed figures, that still wouldn't help us narrow down who CP11 could be because we seem to be listing every character with an official figure. Either way, I'm convinced it doesn't matter.
It only matters if there's other limitations involved, but when you include non-official figures, those "limitations" may as well be for nothing, so you're right that it doesn't matter, I just think it's goofy to call the figure thing a theory when it's the gospel straight from the horse's mouth.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
You ignore the fact that SMT V is only not out in Japan yet because of things like the English dub that was just revealed(Nahobino STILL is a mute btw LOL), it is not some game that was announced two years ago and is just now being touched up to completion. Thinking that the main characters of a game revealed in 2017 wouldn’t be finalized by 2019 is foolish.

Nocturne stopped being relevant almost 20 years ago(SMT V has probably outsold Nocturne HD already), putting in Demi-Fiend just means Smash Ultimate dies immediately after his reveal and SMT gets little to no added recognition.
Just because his English voice actor got revealed doesn't mean he is mute.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I can't decide if wearing a belt without anything that could be described as pants is a whole new level of silly or just par for the course...

EDIT: OK I've decided. The fact that the belt is there is par for the course, but the fact that it's held up solely by the power of "dem thighs" is a whole new level of silly belt shenanigans.
That’s her swimsuit costume, Jun Kazama’s default outfit looks like this in the latest game she appeared in.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You do realize that the belt still does nothing, right? It's still just hovering there on her hips, the only difference is that it's not a swimsuit.
...No.

I was too busy looking at the oil painting looking birds. And here it actually serves to break up the outfit visually rather than being a belt on a leotard with no tights. So...still a bit silly when you think about it, but it looks nicer with the full getup, and it's not super loose like it is on the swimsuit, which gives it less of a "clothes that defy gravity because reasons" look.

kylexv

Smash Master
Day 6: Byleth :ultbyleth:

There is a whole lot to unpack with this character for me.

I woke up early on the morning of January 16th, 2020 anticipating the final reveal for the first Fighter's Pass. I had a lot of ideas on who it could be, but I was fairly certain that it would be a third-party character. After all, the other four characters were third-party, and they wouldn't suddenly end the Fighter's Pass with a first party. Right?

Wrong. The character that greeted me that fateful morning was none other than the Ashen Demon themself: Byleth. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. The exact moment I thought we wouldn't get a Fire Emblem character as DLC (face it, everybody expected either Byleth or Edelgard before Joker was revealed), there was one staring me right in the face. His moveset turned out to be one of the most unique of the now more bloated Fire Emblem cast, using not only the Sword of the Creator but the three relics of the House Leaders: Amyr, Areadbhar, and Failnaught. It was nice that Fire Emblem's weapons triangle was finally fully represented in Smash, even if it doesn't make much sense canonically for Byleth.

Byleth was set to release 12 days after the Sakurai Presents that revealed them. I didn't have much to say when playing as Byleth for the first time either, although trying to beat Byleth's 9.9 Classic Mode gave me a very hard time. It was a playstyle I didn't really jive with at the time so shortly after launch I wasn't touching Byleth much anymore.

Then, I played Fire Emblem: Three Houses on the Nintendo Switch...

It’s crazy how much playing a character’s game can make you change your opinion of them. After playing Three Houses for the first time in the Winter of 2020 (and playing another route this past Summer), I now appreciate their inclusion way more than I ever did. Three Houses ended up being one of my favorite experiences on the Switch, and I managed to clock in over 100 hours between the two routes I completed. I also started playing as Byleth a lot more in Smash as well, eventually even adding them to my list of secondaries (I main Bowser; my other secondaries are Mewtwo, Roy, Chrom, and Sephiroth).

However, despite my newfound love for the series, I still can’t deny that Byleth’s reveal was very lackluster in retrospect. His reveal trailer was one of the worst we ever got since it was immediately obvious who the character was and the trailer was four minutes long. I also feel that Byleth should have been switched with Terry in placement, and I can’t deny that Fire Emblem is overrepresented in Smash Bros. at this current moment, and Byleth adds to that problem. Byleth has caused so much animosity in the greater Smash community because of this, but I personally think that all started with Corrin. Overall, I feel this was a good character inclusion that got ruined by circumstances that were not the character’s fault (stares angrily at Corrin).

No seriously, play Fire Emblem: Three Houses. You won't regret it.
Also pick Blue Lions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom