• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So you don't think that Sony (a big company in the west) releasing FF7 as an exclusive on the PS1 (a console that is also heavily popular in the west) had anything to do with FF7's heavy popularity in the west?
You're absolutely backwards considering it was games like FF7 that turned the PS1 into a success. The PlayStation brand didn't just start out successful, no brand does.

But honestly I think you already know this and this is one of those situations where you don't like a game and can't stand that it was historically significant, so you grasp at straws to make it so that actually it doesn't have any merits and anyone who says they like it is pretending. You're just lying to yourself mate, accept that people have different tastes.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Did someone here mention that FF7 got a big universe all for itself? All the while other FF only get maybe 1 sequel or 2 if they're lucky? Let alone a huge ass remake?

If FF7 really wasn't that big of a deal, then I guess we all hallucinated Advent Children, Crisis Core, etc..
So you don't think that Sony (a big company in the west) releasing FF7 as an exclusive on the PS1 (a console that is also heavily popular in the west) had anything to do with FF7's heavy popularity in the west?
No, i'm sayin' it ain't the only thing as to why FF7 is that popular.

You're making it like FF7 was a one time game that got hugely popular for a bit then got forgotten by all until Cloud & Sephi inclusion in Smash.

Maybe it's not your intention, but your take is definitly not the one & only truth.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I can't believe Super Mario Bros was popular because the NES was popular.

And here I thought it was because it was good.

Man do I feel foolish.
It was popular because it was a huge breakthrough in gaming, the NES was the first big home console system and Mario Bros was one of the first big video games ever created.

The NES didn't solely contribute to the success of Mario Bros, both the game and the system had to do with it.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Please refer to the link I posted above. Pictures are worth a billion words, you know.
Yes I know that Smash fans were excited for Sephioth. It doesn't prove anything. Smash fans are excited over everything which was one of my main points to begin with.

ZelDan

Smash Master
That's not what I said, all I was saying was that I doubt Smash's audience had nostalgia for FF7 or knew who Sephiroth was.
MegaBruh.jpg

Smash's audience has a humongous amount of nolstalgic 20 and 30 year olds behind it. Why do you think characters like K. Rool and Banjo were such heavily requested characters from this audience?

Now what type of people do you think were huge fans of FFVII? A game that released in the 90's, similar to the first Smash game?

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Smash fans do not live under a rock.
Literally all I said was that Smash fans are probably too young to remember Sephiroth or FF7 since the game is so old. Yes there are a lot of adults in the Smash fandom, but the game is still rated E10+. I doubt everyone saying that Sephiroth was hype actually cared that much about Sephiroth.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Don’t give up on your MW character, although Ultimate is finishing soon, new games will appear on the future and don’t think the newest additions will just be future switch game characters.

But its true that a remake/revival lf your long dead IP series helps their chance on a future smash game, like Punch Out got a revival on 2009 and probably that helped for Little Mac getting in Smash 4.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
So all of the people that were acting like Sephiroth was the best character in the world, somehow actually knew who he was, liked the game he was in, and saw him as a cool inclusion.

You do realize smash's demographic right? I think it's fair to say plenty of people pretended to be excited about Sephiroth.
A super recognizable character from a game generally considered by audiences to be one of the best of its kind who's appeared in various Final Fantasy media, games like Kingdom Hearts, and just made an appearance in a highly anticipated remake put into one of the best selling fighting games of all time?

Nobody could POSSIBLY be excited for something like that!

Shroob

Sup?
Literally all I said was that Smash fans are probably too young to remember Sephiroth or FF7 since the game is so old. Yes there are a lot of adults in the Smash fandom, but the game is still rated E10+. I doubt everyone saying that Sephiroth was hype actually cared that much about Sephiroth.
If Smash fans are too young for Seph, they're way too young for Banjo and K.Rool, and yet here we are.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
You don't seem to be grasping what they're saying. I may not enjoy his presence, but whether people want Sephiroth and whether or not they recognize him are two different matters that can but don't always correlate.

Let me put it to you this way: I knew nothing about Cloud when he was announced. Smash had not ever made reference to that franchise beforehand. However, that was 5 years before Sephiroth was announced; plenty of time for Final Fantasy 7 to sink in and spread its memes. By the time Sephiroth was added, do you honestly believe the Smash fans wouldn't have heard of him and/or the big twist in 7? In a span of half a decade?

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
"You're Nintendo fans, how do you know who Master Chief is?! Answer carefully now."
I never made this argument at all and I don't know why people act like I did. All I said was a good number of people excited for Sephiroth don't know who he is and are pretending to be excited for him. FF7 is a very old game and Smash's core audience is young.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If anything, Sephiroth make a lot of people excited not just because of how iconic he was, but also partly because he proved third party villains can join Smash, and that there can be more than one third party character per franchise who aren’t echos, aka have original move sets and plus breaking fan made rules.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wasn't that excited for Sephiroth and a good portion of the people who say they were weren't either.

That's it. There's no bait, it's just true.
You can say that for yourself.

But what gives you the right to say you know other people's thoughts?

Especially when their actions imply the opposite?

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
If anything, Sephiroth make a lot of people excited not just because of how iconic he was, but also partly because he proved third party villains can join Smash, and that there can be more than one third party character per franchise who aren’t echos, aka have original move sets and plus breaking fan made rules.
Those are the best kinds of characters, if you ask me. Always there to knock know-it-alls with their heads in the mud off their high horses.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Wow, thanks everyone for sharing who their MWs were! It’s nice to see such diversity : )

Sephiroth isn't even that popular of a character though. He was the main villain of one final fantasy game. Literally nobody ever talked about him in speculation.
Have you not seen Smash reactions to Sephiroth??????
Sakurai’s first tweet about him had over 110K likes.
Don’t argue something if you don’t have the physicals evidence my guy.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
You can say that for yourself.

But what gives you the right to say you know other people's thoughts?

Especially when their actions imply the opposite?

I already said it. Nobody talked about Sephiroth and Smash's core audience doesn't care about FF7. When you look at the millions of views that Sephiroth's reveal had and think about Smash's audience, it is highly unlikely that all of these people actually cared about the character.

Most people who look at the reveal trailers are just children who say "oh wow, a new character was added to Smash" and then act like it's the best thing in the world even if they don't really care about the character because "daddy Sakurai" is a genius and always picks the right DLC characters and makes them work.

You can't say that isn't true. The Smash fandom has always been like this.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Those are the best kinds of characters, if you ask me. Always there to knock know-it-alls with their heads in the mud off their high horses.
You can say that again! Those guys don’t realize they made the “rules”, not Sakurai, who is in charge of the game while those fans who make things up do not.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wow, thanks everyone for sharing who their MWs were! It’s nice to see such diversity : )

Have you not seen Smash reactions to Sephiroth??????
Sakurai’s first tweet about him had over 110K likes.
Don’t argue something if you don’t have the physicals evidence my guy.
The logic is that they're pretending to be excited about one of the most downloaded games on the eshop for the entire year when FF7 dropped on the Switch, don't waste your effort

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
So also
Has anyone else mentioned that if you look up peoples personal lists of biggest gaming villains, Sephiroth’s on almost all of them?
Also, isn’t reporting him a bit too much? Dude only gave an opinion (which I believe is wrong ofc) but he’s not doing anything crazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom