• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I think you're missing the point my guy.

They got content. New content. Look at their movesets, among other things.

Luigi isn't a fill on clone of Mario anymore. Dude's final smash changed in Sm4sh compared to Brawl's, has a tether grab, and can do combos that Mario can't do. Likewise, being the unique lightweight fighter he is, Yoshi's FS changed completely in Ultimate compared to Sm4sh and Brawl. Both Luigi's and Yoshi's current FS's represent their spinoff series quite well.

Now let's move away from the movesets and look at the other factors:
We have a Luigi's Mansion stage in Ultimate and even though it never returned (to my knowledge) Sm4sh got a Yoshi's Wooly World stage.

Additionally, games from Brawl up to Ultimate had Luigi's Mansion content.

Finally, Yoshi's got 4 stages for his series in the game. That's a great number of stages for a series with 1 fighter.

Other than MAYBE lacking Poochy, and/or Kamek and or Birdo as fighters, the Yoshi series is repped just fine.
As is the Luigi's Mansion side series, even though keep in mind Luigi's classified as a Mario character because in the end, he mainly is just that.
i guess. That’s fair

Theguy123

Smash Lord
So next week's not gonna have a Direct due to Gamescon.

Place your bets.

1st or 2nd week of September.

I dunno why, but I'm kinda inclined to think 2nd week, with a Sakurai Presents the week after, meaning that CP11 would drop anywhere between the 13th-18th.
hoping it’s on the 9th and announced on the 7th or 8th so I can have a day or 2 to potentially pray to god and ask that the 4chan leak that said curious village is coming to the switch is real.

the world needs to witness curious village

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Place your bets.

I dunno why, but I'm kinda inclined to think 2nd week, with a Sakurai Presents the week after, meaning that CP11 would drop anywhere between the 13th-18th.
As I said earlier, I’m not ready for DLC to end. Which is why it isn’t.

Thats right, I’ve talked to Mr. Sakurai himself and hes agreed to put off CP11 till October. Currently negotiating for FP3 rn :troll:

On a more serious note, I still have a gut feeling we get CP11 in October. Call me crazy, but I’m sticking with it.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Place your bets.

I think we will get a direct in September

With no smash just a vague "Stay Tuned" :troll:

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
As I said earlier, I’m not ready for DLC to end. Which is why it isn’t.

Thats right, I’ve talked to Mr. Sakurai himself and hes agreed to put off CP11 till October. Currently negotiating for FP3 rn :troll:

On a more serious note, I still have a gut feeling we get CP11 in October. Call me crazy, but I’m sticking with it.
make sure you tell sakurai that sonic needs more representation and whilst you’re on it tell him we’re ready for the next Pokémon.

SKX31

Smash Master
I think we will get a direct in September

With no smash just a vague "Stay Tuned" :troll:
Now that you mention it...

Well, should prepare for the worst (best?):

A guessing game. That lasts until December.

:4dedede:

Sorry, turns out I made him mad and now the entirety of Pass 3 is Corrin.
So the pass could be apply nicknamed #Pin2Win? Hope y'all are ready for Smash 4 Release Corrin who could OHKO charged Smashes with his / her counter. :roll:

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Place your bets.

You fool
We’ll get a Nintendo Direct starring Geoff Keighley

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I’m also rooting for second week of september, like 8/9. Next direct will be like 1 month prior to OLED launch, so I hoped it will be packed with “hype” 2022 titles. I feel very confident in getting more info of Splatoon 3 and Triangle Strategy, in addition to 1/2 of these rumoured/speculative titles -> Fire Emblem 4 Remake, Xenoblade 3, next Kirby or Resident Evil Outrage.

Don’t think we will get Zelda BOTW2 or M+R2 info.

Of course we will get a final marketing push for end year games like Wario Ware, Metroid Dread, MP Superstars, Advance Wars 1+2 or SMTV.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Place your bets.

I will vote first week. I feel like going for a bold claim.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Place your bets.

I’m betting second week. Technically the first full week. The 8th or the 9th, specifically.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

Place your bets.

Definitely somewhere in the first half of September. And I think the last fighter is going to be from the West.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

Place your bets.

Imma' be bold and say a Smash Direct next week.

Welp, it was nice knowin' ya'll.

See ya in prediction hell. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
What confuses me about the whole “skipping a week of news due to Gamescom” is that Nintendo themselves aren’t participating at the event this year, so I’m not sure if I believe that, though it’s hard to say either way.

EDIT: For last year’s gamescom, we got a Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase the day prior to it’s opening night livestream, so I don’t think the folks at Nintendo are all that concerned about the event

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What confuses me about the whole “skipping a week of news due to Gamescom” is that Nintendo themselves aren’t participating at the event this year, so I’m not sure if I believe that, though it’s hard to say either way.
It's not about the fact that they're not participating in it, it's that they're savvy enough to know not to split the attention from the average consumer between both Gamescom and Nintendo news. They're smart enough to carve out a time period where they alone are the highlight of the week and mostly not much else.

blackghost

Smash Champion
LOL people still think importance matters in smash inclusions

"whether the character is fun to play is more important than whether the character is new or old or recognizable to everyone"
more important is what the quote says not "no importance at all"

Considering you told me yourself that Pyra/Mythra were viewed less than Min Min in Japan, I doubt the ballot had anything to do with a Xenoblade characters inclusion. Banjo & Kazooie were commonly requested on the ballot and their trailer has nearly 6 million views. Compare that to the 300k that Pyra/Mythra official trailer got.

Trailer counts are an interesting metric but its not only Nintendo people watching these things. smash dlc is gaming news everywhere. its on the front page everywhere and spits out nearly an entire week of reaction videos on youtube. 3rd parties have more reach than nintendo franchises. poeple at large still are just learning what xenoblade even is. its in the same place FE was 25 years ago.

With waluigi, personally i dont even consider him geno level. Starring in one game>being a side piece for your entire lifetime and creation. And i dont think geno is big enough to warrant real consideration either. A modern geno example is someone like midna she made a hige impact on many players gaming lives and is one of the three best companions ive ever had in a game (elizabeth and garrus surpassing her) but ultimately she didnt make it in as a big character in a legendary franchise.

3rd party dlc in smash are icons. they are not fringe chaarcters with small fanbases they are characters that coporate nintendo will view as worth the investment becuase people will buy becuase they already know the character and trust sakurai will make them fun to play and be faithfully recreated. nintendo first party inclusions are promotional point blank the end.

i wanted dante for the spot hes now out (i'd expect him to be SUPER high on the list for the next game. im firmly on team ahri. star chaarcter form one of the 5 biggest games in the world and we have no CPU rep. my second place is master chief. not a huge fan of the character but i think this has a rather large chance of happening as well.

also why were people using or talking about flacon's inclusion at all? sakurai made up falcons moveset for smash and smash originally wasnt gonna use nintnedo characters but an oroginal roster and falcon was used to pitch the idea.

Shroob

Sup?

Trailer counts are an interesting metric but its not only Nintendo people watching these things. smash dlc is gaming news everywhere. its on the front page everywhere and spits out nearly an entire week of reaction videos on youtube. 3rd parties have more reach than nintendo franchises. poeple at large still are just learning what xenoblade even is. its in the same place FE was 25 years ago.

With waluigi, personally i dont even consider him geno level. Starring in one game>being a side piece for your entire lifetime and creation. And i dont think geno is big enough to warrant real consideration either. A modern geno example is someone like midna she made a hige impact on many players gaming lives and is one of the three best companions ive ever had in a game (elizabeth and garrus surpassing her) but ultimately she didnt make it in as a big character in a legendary franchise.

3rd party dlc in smash are icons. they are not fringe chaarcters with small fanbases they are characters that coporate nintendo will view as worth the investment becuase people will buy becuase they already know the character and trust sakurai will make them fun to play and be faithfully recreated. nintendo first party inclusions are promotional point blank the end.

i wanted dante for the spot hes now out (i'd expect him to be SUPER high on the list for the next game. im firmly on team ahri. star chaarcter form one of the 5 biggest games in the world and we have no CPU rep. my second place is master chief. not a huge fan of the character but i think this has a rather large chance of happening as well.

also why were people using or talking about flacon's inclusion at all? sakurai made up falcons moveset for smash and smash originally wasnt gonna use nintnedo characters but an oroginal roster and falcon was used to pitch the idea.
Steve?

Minecraft may be multi-plat now but it started in PC.

Hell, so did Snake.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

>Waluigi
>Smaller than Geno’s level
big bruh moment.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
big bruh moment.
In what way? I explained my logic on that. Starring in one game > being a side piece. being a meme doesn't change what you are as a character, and utimately that is what gets you in the door. Sepiroth is a huge meme in the FF community about how he is perpetually stalking cloud. but that was never expected to be discussed by sakurai for why he was chosen.

Steve?

Minecraft may be multi-plat now but it started in PC.

Hell, so did Snake.
where you started doesnt really matter. its how you are viewed. PC gaming is mobas, competitive shooters, mmorpgs, and strategy games like starcraft. PC gaming as it is viewed today has no representative in smash, thats really what im trying to get across. when you look at those genres a few character can rep them well but they are also genres that are tricky to show off in smash due to huge mehcnical differences in gameplay. like no one thinks a starcraft soldier or ship will be in or a countertsrike soldier. ahri is a plausible choice.

tracer from overwatch would in theory work but implementing tracer into smash is a character design nightmare. shed be the fastest character in the game while wielding guns, having health regen, sticky bombs, and more.

Shroob

Sup?
In what way? I explained my logic on that. Starring in one game > being a side piece. being a meme doesn't change what you are as a character, and utimately that is what gets you in the door. Sepiroth is a huge meme in the FF community about how he is perpetually stalking cloud. but that was never expected to be discussed by sakurai for why he was chosen.

where you started doesnt really matter. its how you are viewed. PC gaming is mobas, competitive shooters, mmorpgs, and strategy games like starcraft. PC gaming as it is viewed today has no representative in smash, thats really what im trying to get across. when you look at those genres a few character can rep them well but they are also genres that are tricky to show off in smash due to huge mehcnical differences in gameplay. like no one thinks a starcraft soldier or ship will be in or a countertsrike soldier. ahri is a plausible choice.

tracer from overwatch would in theory work but implementing tracer into smash is a character design nightmare. shed be the fastest character in the game while wielding guns, having health regen, sticky bombs, and more.
That seems needless pedantic. Steve's just as much a PC gaming icon as he is a multi-plat one. Hell, I'd argue just as many people recognize Minecraft as a PC game as they do a console game.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Waluigi has gotten some roles in the spin-offs that were at least somewhat major. And I don’t see how him being a meme matters when he’s a popular meme because he himself is popular. The “put Waluigi in Smash” stuff is a genuine request, not just a meme, and the memes were very likely based on that since he kept being an AT only and since people like him and think he’s funny.

Tbh I never understood people acting like character requests aren’t genuine just because of funny stuff; very many people genuinely like or want things they joke about due to not taking things that seriously, not expecting them, or just thinking of funny stuff with them :/

I’m a Geno fan, but I really do not see how a spin-off RPG role is any better than what Waluigi has gotten if we’re following the logic that spin-offs somehow don’t matter despite what they’ve gotten in Smash and Nintendo clearly caring for them (and I’m not even sure if they care that much about the spin-off distinction).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Geno is only bigger than Waluigi in the dark recesses of the Smash bubble.

If Geno didn't have popularity no one would be trying to argue he was bigger than Waluigi because the prospect that a one-off character from a twenty-five year old game being bigger than any of the recurring Mario staples is ridiculous.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Uhh... no, I actually have never heard of this factoid. Could you elaborate?
Sakurai said he didn't like it when people made memes of people with influence, such as the ones about him with 'never ask me for anything ever again' or editting his face to make him pog, Theif seems to think it's memes as a whole he dislikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom