• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's also possible some people had a bit of insider information... and made up the rest to have fun/troll. It's a common thing, really.

Especially as no more characters are coming. That, and some stuff are pretty damn hard to guess anyway. XD
Interesting thought there, Wyvy.

Still, DLC for Smash Bros. Ultimate, especially the second pass, has been hard to get information on or leak, so that is another reason why I would not be surprised if the Mario Rapper leaker would be wrong on CP11 and the stuff after it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Interesting thought there, Wyvy.

Still, DLC for Smash Bros. Ultimate, especially the second pass, has been hard to get information on or leak, so that is another reason why I would not be surprised if the Mario Rapper leaker would be wrong on CP11 and the stuff after it.
Same. Minecraft was more of a special case, and only, what, Min Min had a proper leak(and it was just a last second thing, so not useful for us)? Sephiroth was on a list with the Square Seven, but that was probably unrelated anyway(and at most related to Hero).

Would you believe that was actually a Square-Enix joke, and not about the shape?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Same. Minecraft was more of a special case, and only, what, Min Min had a proper leak(and it was just a last second thing, so not useful for us)? Sephiroth was on a list with the Square Seven, but that was probably unrelated anyway(and at most related to Hero).
Yeah, I see what you mean. So, what was the leak for Min Min, may I ask? I am curious.

I thought SEGA already stuck that one down...
If you mean Sonic, Joker and if you count Bayonetta, I believe that is still three characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I see what you mean. So, what was the leak for Min Min, may I ask? I am curious.
I forgot his name, but via Twitter, they put 6 small sentences, that spelled out Min Min with the first letter of each one.

A hint that was very difficult to see. One of those fun puzzles. Might've been Imran Kahn?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
At this point of time 60% of me is thinking the last Character will indeed come from the 40 name list leak. I know the leak was missing pyra and myphra, kazuya and min min but sakurai did say that

heihachi was chosen first but swapped for kazuya,

And rex was chosen first but swapped because he couldn’t make him work

that’s the only leak I’m willing to have some sort of faith in at the moment because of how accurate it has been and not vague like the rapper Mario leak was

plus some of the choices on that list were literally out there picks which came true. I don’t think anyone had down byleth to be announced or terry after jokers announcement.

Especially byleth when reggie’s statement at TGA made it sound as if franchises represented in smash at that time wasn’t getting new content .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They would if they had an ACTUAL source.

Inconsistent information is the sign of someone with NO information that's okay at guessing.
And Verge did, so I don't see your point as legit here.

Reality is, he had actual real information as well as was given fake information.

If you actually think a real leaker can never get wrong information, boy do I have a bridge to sell you.

Especially when Verge had 100% base game information correct. Even his Minecraft information turned out to be true, and it was noted he just knows it'll be in the game in some way, including possibly DLC, but also noted it may not be a character. Funny how that worked out. That's how information is actually given. In scraps. Sometimes extremely vague. That's why he only got stuff wrong for DLC, when it was known that Nintendo is massively cracking down on leaks at that point(and hilariously leaking their own content in an ironic fashion).

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
I saw someone say Sakurai didn’t actually say “a while” in Japanese, but I don’t speak the language so not sure if that’s true or not…
I am merely an intermediate learner of the language - and thus far from a native speaker - so please do apply salt to this post:
After listening to his words during the "a while" portion of the video a good amount of times, and doing my best to put what I'm pretty sure I'm hearing into writing (plus looking up the words I didn't recognise), I cannot identify any Japanese word or phrase that is equivalent to "a while". I believe what he says is as follows, more or less: "We'll see you next time until we announce [the next character], but as promised, we will release it by the end of this year, so please wait." Or, in Japanese: "hirō suru made ojikai itadakimasu ga, yakusoku doori, kotoshijū ni wa hatsubai shimasu no de, omachi kudasai." (「披露するまでお次回いただきますが、やくそく通り、今年中には発売しますので、お待ちください」)

However, him saying this is quickly accompanied by subtitles in the Japanese version saying "披露の時まで、もう少しお待ちください" - "hirō suru no toki made, mō sukoshi omachi kudasai", meaning "Until the time of announcement, please wait a bit more." So, in conclusion, Sakurai did indeed never say "a while" in Japanese himself, but subtitles in the Japanese version of the Presents did communicate a similar message. Maybe it was something he realised he wanted to add post-recording, so he told the Japanese editors to do so, and the English translators followed suit, if they weren't explicitly told to make that point clear as well. Or maybe it wasn't on Sakurai's urging. We may never know the exact motivations, if there is more to it at all.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And Verge did, so I don't see your point as legit here.

Reality is, he had actual real information as well as was given fake information.

Especially when Verge had 100% base game information correct.
And your takeaway from that is that he has inconsistent sources.

My takeaway from that is he HAD a real source during launch(or he's a fantastic guesser), but that source is gone, and he no longer has any information.

If you actually think a real leaker can never get wrong information, boy do I have a bridge to sell you.
I like how you think leakers are like this spy network with tons of sources they have to sift through reports from.

Instead of what they actually are, the ****ty friend of someone who was working on the game. And then that friend stops talking to them, and they got nothing else.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

About time, lol

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
woooow I really didnt expect Mario Golf: Super Rush to get a Spirit Event in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate before Luigi's Mansion 3

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hmm, I wonder if there is any content in the non-JP versions of the 8.8.2018 Smash Direct that isn't in the JP versions, something that warrants taking them all down now. Maybe something they can't legally have now?

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Pic of the Day:

I am really glad to be able to see and play as Ridley. From its small cameo in the original smash, to its hype appearance on the melee opening, to its boss situation back in brawl and its terrible situation and teasing in Wii U/3DS and even worse the comment it received about being too big, It has been a long journey but he is here and hopefully he stays there for future entries.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
My takeaway from that is he HAD a real source during launch(or he's a fantastic guesser), but that source is gone, and he no longer has any information.
I agree with this view. He had a pretty accuracte source back in 2018 that even knew about Minecraft somehow, as well of a Square Enix character, plus managed to mostly know most of the base game additions.
However starting with Piranha Plant he suddenly became unable to correctly give us anything. Banjo's name was only thrown out once Shinobi did mention him first, Terry once the SNK leak happened, and while I do think he did get Byleth right, it was only one hour or less prior to its announcement.

Possibly a Gematsu situation as I mentioned previously; his source had outdated information. Which would explain why Chrom is not in there, or many of the echo fighters, as they were mostly the last additions in the game, how it somehow knew about Minecraft for so long, not exactly that every single character would be back, but only name-dropped Ice Climbers and Snake, etc...
I don't know why, but apparently the moment Smash's information gets the most easily leaked is when they are in the planning stage.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I agree with this view. He had a pretty accuracte source back in 2018 that even knew about Minecraft somehow, as well of a Square Enix character, plus managed to mostly know most of the base game additions.
However starting with Piranha Plant he suddenly became unable to correctly give us anything. Banjo's name was only thrown out once Shinobi did mention him first, Terry once the SNK leak happened, and while I do think he did get Byleth right, it was only one hour or less prior to its announcement.

Possibly a Gematsu situation as I mentioned previously; his source had outdated information. Which would explain why Chrom is not in there, or many of the echo fighters, as they were mostly the last additions in the game, how it somehow knew about Minecraft for so long, not exactly that every single character would be back, but only name-dropped Ice Climbers and Snake, etc...
I don't know why, but apparently the moment Smash's information gets the most easily leaked is when they are in the planning stage.
There is actually an implication about knowing of Piranha Plant. He mentioned 3 characters would be revealed during its last direct before its release. And it makes sense that he wouldnt reveal who it was. The backlash would have been terrible. And piranha plant was leaked beforehand on 4chan but no one put any atention to the leak.

It makes the most sense that his sources stopped working with the situation with virus. No surprise since this even affected Sakurai who began working at home. If anything, the virus ended his reliability.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The Rapper Mario leak, with all of the names it tosses out. Actually forgot Bethesda despite Dragonborn being a mii.

Make of that what you will. I do not buy Rapper Mario for one second.
Ok but it says we'll get a bonus character and I refuse to believe this is the end just because Sakurai keeps saying it is and it's impossible that these overly vague things it claimed were vague on purpose so it can be stretched into saying it's right

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Rapper Mario?

Why do leaks these days have names like mid 2010's Mario 64 Bloopers?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Ok but it says we'll get a bonus character and I refuse to believe this is the end just because Sakurai keeps saying it is and it's impossible that these overly vague things it claimed were vague on purpose so it can be stretched into saying it's right
It's vague on purpose so that weirdos who make typewriter monkey posts part of their life can twist and stretch it to their desire's end while insisting that it's a totally legit leak that deserves attention.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We've been over this, the Direct's getting privated and deleted to remove the Belmonts
All this means is that Nintendo wants to erase the low tier Belmonts after many complaints from scrubs and are erasing all traces that they were in Smash, the next patch will have Shanoa replace the two as a unique newcomer but Nintendo won't make a Presents as they want to trick you into thinking she was always in the base roster

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Double post
Flashback to that Fire Emblem Heroes poll, which Nintendo/Sakurai would surely pull from to determine the FE:H rep in this absolute dream scenario

View attachment 325199

View attachment 325200
Edelgard got almost twice as many votes.

Well that was anti-climactic...

But Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster lives another day. :cool:
The game has been out almost a year in Japan, it would have gotten a spirit event a long time ago if that was happening.

I could potentially see us actually waiting until December at the VGA basically hitting the deadline of December 31st, 2021. Poetic being Joker was our first DLC fighter in Pass 1 and then ending with the final DLC fighter in Pass 2.

Especially if the character turns out to be big or no one actually expects.
A December reveal guarantees Nahobino.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Japanese upload of the 8/8/2018 Smash Direct has now been set to private too. This is getting weirder by the minute.
Ok yeah there’s no way this can be a coincidence now…

also, anyone else get a security certificate expired warning when they try to visit Smashboards this morning?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ok yeah there’s no way this can be a coincidence now…

also, anyone else get a security certificate expired warning when they try to visit Smashboards this morning?
I got that as well.

Also, while Nintendo's posting an abundance of Metrord Dread tweets right now, one of them refers to Smash in a neat little way:

I kinda like this old Ridley look.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Nintendo actually remembered Metroid's anniversary for once.

Also, a new short trailer for Dread. A very intriguing one...

heihachi was chosen first but swapped for kazuya,
There's no evidence for this. Unless you talk about Smash 4 where Heihachi was actually considered even if it only was for a brief moment.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
The lack of a security certificate made me think Smashboards was hacked for a second.

If the 8/8/18 Direct is for anything. It would presumably be announced today or tomorrow at the latest.
I got that as well.

Also, while Nintendo's posting an abundance of Metrord Dread tweets right now, one of them refers to Smash in a neat little way:

I kinda like this old Ridley look.
Same here, Old Ridley actually looks really cool. I think it’d be neat if that was what newborn members of Ridleys species looked like before evolving (I can’t remember the actual word for it) into his current design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom