• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I don't think Reimu's reception would be that bad. Besides the Smash fans built like Discord moderators that hate everything anyway, I can't see anyone really being disappointed about it? I've loved Touhou since I was eleven, haha.
You'll have people who insist it has to be "Two huge" characters simply because its E3 and I imagine if she is one of the two characters or is even revealed on E3, people will get angry.

Of course, people will get angry if you give them anyone, even if they requested it. So.... Who knows.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With E3 specifically part of the issue is that the game industry is still trying to recover from the pandemic and that with various other showcases (including the Summer Games Fest) a lot of the announcements have been spread among various presentations rather than concentrated at this one.

Throw in the fact that many of the news are on games people already new about or have controversial time emphasis (see today's antipathy about the focus on GotG in the Square Enix event) and that explains a great deal of the E3 grumbling. Part of the reason people are hoping for Nintendo to elevate things is the prospect of new games being shown off and that the company has a decent record of at least packing a bunch of notable news in a short amount of time.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
People here have an irrational need to fearmonger a whole host of characters across the board, even ones that would be "massively hype"
It's just thinly veiled **** flinging towards anyone that isn't their most wanteds at the end of the day
I've said it before but while there's only a few characters I actively want, there are also very few characters I actively don't. The only DLC fighter so far that I wanted beforehand was Steve, and yet I've really liked most of the choices they made otherwise, especially Terry. I do like to consider myself relatively hard to disappoint. A new Smash character is cool on account of being a new Smash character.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So people here are both convinced the current frontrunners aren’t likely and bemoan talking about them.

Soooo. Why is the most common talking point some self-aware jab about how miserable speculation is for being based on perceived liklehood. Let’s make a change, let’s do the last speculation two days without frontrunners. Just vibes.

I’ll start: I think Dynasty Warriors could fit in the pattern of characters bringing their home game’s control scheme with them. Let‘s give Lu Bu a Neutral B that changes by the amount of regular attacks you perform in a row before pressing the button.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The very long version:
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-4404#post-24156152

The short version:
Adol is the main protagonist of Ys, which is a very old action RPG and made by Falcom, who are some of the oldest game developers still around and had a lot of influence in action-RPGs, JRPGs, and computer games. It also took over my life for a good couple of months, during which I plugged the %$#@ out of him and made him a popular prediction via SNK parallels.
You could throw that render in Granblue Fantasy and no one would know the difference. :nifty: I'd give it a chuckle and revive Hoes Mad for him.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The negative feelings towards E3 this year are far too widespread across multiple platforms to just be "lol Nintendo good, anything else bad". /v/ and Twitter wouldn't be agreeing the show is bad for the same reasons if it was just a bubble of fanboys causing a ruckus. Plus, I think the critiques being brought up this year are relatively fair and consistent. Complaints about misleading trailers have been present for the better part of a decade but filler really has been a major issue this year. It's tough to get excited about cool announcements when you have to shift through uninspired products and dozens of miniature Ted Talks from developers you've never heard of.

I agree with you that Microsoft's show is getting more grief than it deserves, but that's the Internet for ya. The only acceptable opinions online are "This is life-changing in an amazing way" and "This is life-changing in a terrible way" with everything else just being converted to whichever of these two extremes they are closer to. Microsoft is underwhelming, so people act like Bill Gates came on stage and personally deleted Halo Infinite's development info before the crowd's eyes.
Yeah this year wasn't the best but I already said presentations seemed to get slammed regardless of quality, MS making that clear for the last 2 E3s, loads of games, different genres, big and small, but then it gets treate like an absolute ****storm because it had the audacity to exist and now suddenly every game shown has magically turned into a gritty shooter. I get the feeling this wouldn't happen if a specific Rare game got announced though

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think the issue is that the Gaming Industry is just making games that people don't care about. There is nothing new or novel with these games.

The only game that I have any desire to buy so far is the Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope and maybe Halo Infinity (The Trailers were not that strong IMO).

Shroob

Sup?
You could throw that render in Granblue Fantasy and no one would know the difference. :nifty: I'd give it a chuckle and revive Hoes Mad for him.
Uhhh Ackshually that art style is more Rage of Bahamut?

Pushes up nerd glasses and wipes mouth free of slobber

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I know for a fact that if any of my Most wanted characters end up being one of the final two(Reimu, Sol Badguy, Kazuma Kiryu) then I know people will riot on the streets.
Actually, thinking about it I think Badguy and Kiryu at least would bring in some hype. I haven't played much of either series, but Guilty Gear is quite flashy and Badguy has a cool design so he might get points for that. As for Kiryu, Yakuza has steadily grown in popularity and I think people will be accepting of him since he is someone who is unique (Yakuza member, from a beat em up game, etc). Unfortunately I can't say the same about Reimu. Personally I think she would be a really good choice but you know how Smash players and western audiences feel about anime.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think the issue is that the Gaming Industry is just making games that people don't care about. There is nothing new or novel with these games.

The only game that I have any desire to buy so far is the Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope and maybe Halo Infinity (The Trailers were not that strong IMO).
Nothing new, huh? That is a problem with any media, including movies. Still, it sucks that this is the case for video games.

Especially since they do not have to be the same thing over and over. From what I see, there are too many First Person Shooters, even, and realistic looking games, too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So people here are both convinced the current frontrunners aren’t likely and bemoan talking about them.

Soooo. Why is the most common talking point some self-aware jab about how miserable speculation is for being based on perceived liklehood. Let’s make a change, let’s do the last speculation two days without frontrunners. Just vibes.

I’ll start: I think Dynasty Warriors could fit in the pattern of characters bringing their home game’s control scheme with them. Let‘s give Lu Bu a Neutral B that changes by the amount of regular attacks you perform in a row before pressing the button.
Dynasty Warriors is very interesting in Smash discussions as that means we'd get a character outright focused on crowd control, something that can't really be said for any character who benefits from FFAs like what the balance team tries to take into account

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
No it was pretty ****ed, dude.
Sadly, it's not a funny story in the slightest, but let's leave it at that, because it delves into a very not-funny topic.
As I'm gathering.... I just wanted to use the meme really. I don't know or care what this unfunny story is. It was just reaction meme time.

Moving on...

I've said it before but while there's only a few characters I actively want, there are also very few characters I actively don't. The only DLC fighter so far that I wanted beforehand was Steve, and yet I've really liked most of the choices they made otherwise, especially Terry. I do like to consider myself relatively hard to disappoint. A new Smash character is cool on account of being a new Smash character.
Same honestly. There are only TWO characters I DO NOT want and those would be Classic Sonic and anything to do with Sonic Boom, and even THAT has more to do with my raging Sonic fandom than anything else.

Just about any other character, even one from a series I care nothing for like Fortnite or LoL or whatever, I'd be at least ok with, we've had such a good roster so far.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
The very long version:
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-4404#post-24156152

The short version:
Adol is the main protagonist of Ys, which is a very old action RPG and made by Falcom, who are some of the oldest game developers still around and had a lot of influence in action-RPGs, JRPGs, and computer games. It also took over my life for a good couple of months, during which I plugged the %$#@ out of him and made him a popular prediction via SNK parallels.
I don't think we're getting Adol. There's a fine line between characters that mostly appeal to Japan like Pyra/Mythra and Joker and characters that appeal ONLY to Japan like Adol.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
t it I think Badguy and Kiryu at least would bring in some hype. I haven't played much of either series, but Guilty Gear is quite flashy and Badguy has a cool design so he might get points for that. As for Kiryu, Yakuza has steadily grown in popularity and I think people will be accepting of him since he is someone who is unique (Yakuza member, from a beat em up game, etc). Unfortunately I can't say the same about Reimu. Personally I think she would be a really good choice but you know how Smash players and western audiences feel about anime.
I imagine some of those people will hate Sol and to a lesser extent Kiryu because of the "anime" stigma, even if Kiryu is realistic. I guess the only difference is that Touhou can be seen as more anime than Guilty Gear and whatnot. Or at least can pass off as someone who can kick your ass just by looking at him.

Still. Having any of those three would make me happy.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I dunno about you guys, but while I want Crash, I am expecting the last two characters to be unexpected picks, or picks nobody wanted, even if that is just me being pessimistic.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Nothing new, huh? That is a problem with any media, including movies. Still, it sucks that this is the case for video games.

Especially since they do not have to be the same thing over and over. From what I see, there are too many First Person Shooters, even, and realistic looking games, too.
To be honest, they are not even good FPS. They are not open world like original Dooms (not the new ones) that had you exploring rooms, etc. They are just hold your hand adventure titles which started with Call of Duty and has been a cancer on the FPS genre.

What was great about the original FPS including Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, Goldeneye, and Duke Nukem is that they didn't hold your hand and you had to explore. Halo does that to a degree as well although the newer Halos seem to be moving away from that.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

IT'S TIME TO TALK ABOUT MOTHER****ING OPA OP-gets shot

OK, how about uhhhhhhhhhhh Strider Hiryu? He's badass. There might be some licensing mumbo jumbo to go through but he'd honestly be one of the coolest possible Capcom reps to me - and that's saying a lot.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Dynasty Warriors is very interesting in Smash discussions as that means we'd get a character outright focused on crowd control, something that can't really be said for any character who benefits from FFAs like what the balance team tries to take into account
Yes, though I imagine they’d turn the crowd control into a bit more of Bayonetta-like combo moves as to not make fighting in Smash as tedious as fighting the single generals in the Dynasty Warriors games as I played, Y’know, have some hitstun behind the set-up moves.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To be honest, they are not even good FPS. They are not open world like original Dooms (not the new ones) that had you exploring rooms, etc. They are just hold your hand adventure titles which started with Call of Duty and has been a cancer on the FPS genre.

What was great about the original FPS including Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, Goldeneye, and Duke Nukem is that they didn't hold your hand and you had to explore. Halo does that to a degree as well although the newer Halos seem to be moving away from that.
I don't play much FPS games, but I did play both the original Goldeneye and its remake. I can see where you are coming from in terms of FPS still, since the remake of Goldeneye pales in comparison to the original. And all this hand holding is just...unnecessary.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

OK, how about uhhhhhhhhhhh Strider Hiryu? He's badass. There might be some licensing mumbo jumbo to go through but he'd honestly be one of the coolest possible Capcom reps to me - and that's saying a lot.
Oh he nails the rule of cool, would have a lovely flashy moveset!

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Uhhh Ackshually that art style is more Rage of Bahamut?

Pushes up nerd glasses and wipes mouth free of slobber
354px-Bahamutt_SMRPG.png

Look at him... so much RAGE... that thing is so full or rage! Probably because everyone keeps spelling his name wrong... it's BahamutT, not Bahamut. One T!

HE'S SO MAYUD, SO MAYUD, SO INCREDIBLY MAYUD! RAGE OF BAHAMUTT!

Hehehehehehehehehe

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't play much FPS games, but I did play both the original Goldeneye and its remake. I can see where you are coming from in terms of FPS still, since the remake of Goldeneye pales in comparison to the original. And all this hand holding is just...unnecessary.
Yeah, the maps are small and linear. Go play Doom 2 and then play some modern FPS and you will see exactly what I am talking about. Doom 2 has more creativity with regard to level design despite the fact it was made in 1995. It is just ridiculous.

This is why I am not that big of a fan of the new Dooms. They are linear and just put you in rooms where enemies spawn on top of you. The old Dooms are still my goto FPS game. That is sad since they are 20 years old now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 319000

Look at him... so much RAGE... that thing is so full or rage! Probably because everyone keeps spelling his name wrong... it's BahamutT, not Bahamut. One T!

HE'S SO MAYUD, SO MAYUD, SO INCREDIBLY MAYUD! RAGE OF BAHAMUTT!

Hehehehehehehehehe
Untitled.png

Jesse what the **** are you talking about

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, the maps are small and linear. Go play Doom 2 and then play some modern FPS and you will see exactly what I am talking about. Doom 2 has more creativity with regard to level design despite the fact it was made in 1995. It is just ridiculous.

This is why I am not that big of a fan of the new Dooms. They are linear and just put you in rooms where enemies spawn on top of you. The old Dooms are still my goto FPS game. That is sad since they are 20 years old now.
They don't even have to be like that. Not to mention they shouldn't.

Anyway, about trying something new in game genres like First Person Shooters, the sad part is that even if someone tries something new, that will lead to others copying whatever is done new by that company rather than do something new as well. That is how human nature, or businesses seem to work. Sad, isn't it?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

God, I played Strider 2014 about a year or two ago and it was so goddamn fun that I'm pretty upset it didn't seem to do well enough to warrant a sequel, even ended up having a dream where Hiryu got in and I was sad it was merely a dream

I ignored this conversation as I have very little experience with FPS games but modern Doom isn't as linear as you make it out to be and it encourages a ****ton of exploration by finding all sorts of goodies, being lore, upgrades, early weapons or power ups. The only way those games are linear is if you put the pointmarker on and exclusively follow that, ignoring literally everything else.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

For the longest time I'd look at footage of Strider for the Genesis and found myself swearing that I played it, but not understanding why it seemed so different from what I recalled.

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize I was actually remembering Run Saber for the SNES (which in my defense was fairly similar):

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I imagine some of those people will hate Sol and to a lesser extent Kiryu because of the "anime" stigma, even if Kiryu is realistic.
I’d wager Sol would be exempt from this. He’s extremely “anime” but not in the way a lot of Smash fans hate - like, definitely more in the Captain Falcon school of over the top anime flash. That kind of thing is popular within the community.

And Kiryu is just a beloved character across the board, I can’t see him sparking any real controversy.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
God, I played Strider 2014 about a year or two ago and it was so goddamn fun that I'm pretty upset it didn't seem to do well enough to warrant a sequel, even ended up having a dream where Hiryu got in and I was sad it was merely a dream

I ignored this conversation as I have very little experience with FPS games but modern Doom isn't as linear as you make it out to be and it encourages a ****ton of exploration by finding all sorts of goodies, being lore, upgrades, early weapons or power ups. The only way those games are linear is if you put the pointmarker on and exclusively follow that, ignoring literally everything else.
To a degree but not like the old Dooms. They also don't put the enemies throughout the level like the old Dooms. Granted even the old Dooms had linear levels but then they through in crazy levels as well. Play Level 13 Downtown or Level 15 The Industrial Zone on Doom 2. They are like open world urban areas and you can easily get lost in them.

Shroob

Sup?
I’d wager Sol would be exempt from this. He’s extremely “anime” but not in the way a lot of Smash fans hate - like, definitely more in the Captain Falcon school of over the top anime flash. That kind of thing is popular within the community.

And Kiryu is just a beloved character across the board, I can’t see him sparking any real controversy.
Sol using a sword though would 100% make the vocal part of the fanbase who hates anime swords even louder than usual though. 5 sword users in a row would be a little much.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To a degree but not like the old Dooms. They also don't put the enemies throughout the level like the old Dooms. Granted even the old Dooms had linear levels but then they through in crazy levels as well. Play Level 13 Downtown or Level 15 The Industrial Zone on Doom 2. They are like open world urban areas and you can easily get lost in them.
Man, I do miss more openly mapped areas. They shouldn't even be saved for Multiplayer even, they can work in Single player, too.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah this year wasn't the best but I already said presentations seemed to get slammed regardless of quality, MS making that clear for the last 2 E3s, loads of games, different genres, big and small, but then it gets treate like an absolute ****storm because it had the audacity to exist and now suddenly every game shown has magically turned into a gritty shooter. I get the feeling this wouldn't happen if a specific Rare game got announced though
Yeah they needed a new Killer Instinct so it could be a 10/10 instead of a 9/10:4pacman:

Strider's one of the coolest characters they could add, he's fun as **** in MvC and I'd love to see Max pop off again.

Sol using a sword though would 100% make the vocal part of the fanbase who hates anime swords even louder than usual though. 5 sword users in a row would be a little much.
Sol would just further prove those people are full of **** because of how he uses it tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom