• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
That, too.

Does the same apply to the Samuses, since they're covered in electronic armor?
Chozo technology probably don't use electricity of any kind or anything because sufficiently advanced alien technology yadda yadda also Samus has canonically walked through water and lava just fíne.
And Dark Samus's "armor" is more of an exoskeleton than actual armor.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
That, too.

Does the same apply to the Samuses, since they're covered in electronic armor?
It might apply to Samus, but I thought Dark Samus’ “armor” was just phazon, so it wouldn’t have an effect. Could be wrong though, dunno much about Metroid.

Bowser Jr. and the Koopaling’s Clown Car dies.
Incineroar dies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Imagine how ****ing funny it would be if the smash logo shows up and all you hear is a Taiko Drum
Just for that alone, I will like this entire thread worth of 1425 pages (as of this comment)

The ultimate trolling move and would make it funnier of the last character is Sakurai himself

MattX20

Smash Hero
I absolutely 'want' a dual reveal as a way to rip the band-aide off and end speculation here and now.

But the question is will they? This is the first time we've ever had the chance to 'end' the DLC at E3, and while it'd be fitting to do so, considering Ultimate was first really shown off at E3 3 years ago, the question is, will they 'end' it there, or will they drag it out for longer to keep players invested?

It really comes down to how hard they'll do in on BotW2 and other big reveals I think. If the Smash announcement is super early on, then I'll definitely be looking out for a CP11 reveal, but if the Smash announcement is super late into the show? It may just be CP10.
Smash reveals have usually been always a first thing to show off. While BOTW 2 will shown off, I don't think it will take up that much of a chunk of the E3 catalog considering there will be other titles that were held back due to last year.

Shroob

Sup?
Smash reveals have usually been always a first thing to show off. While BOTW 2 will shown off, I don't think it will take up that much of a chunk of the E3 catalog considering there will be other titles that were held back due to last year.
I don't disagree, but it remains to be seen if Nintendo pulls a 2018 and puts all their eggs in one basket or not, in regards to BotW2 that is.

I'd love speculation to be effectively done come 12 days from now, but I think it's definitely a good idea to remain somewhat skeptical.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its an interesting irresistible force vs. immovable object with as far as E3 fighters. On one hand the event has had a history of more than one Smash character shown off, but on the other the second pass has had a tendency of greatly reducing time between reveal and release, so seeing Fighter 11 and them not coming out for three months would make it the outlier as far as characters in the last 12 months.

I suppose the golden scenario would be getting 10 a few days after E3, and perhaps 11 the next month, but that too would be fairly unusual for Smash to release fighters that close to each other.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Its an interesting irresistible force vs. immovable object with as far as E3 fighters. On one hand the event has had a history of more than one Smash character shown off, but on the other the second pass has had a tendency of greatly reducing time between reveal and release, so seeing Fighter 11 and them not coming out for three months would make it the outlier as far as characters in the last 12 months.

I suppose the golden scenario would be getting 10 a few days after E3, and perhaps 11 the next month, but that too would be fairly unusual for Smash to release fighters that close to each other.
My personal opinion and observations on FP10 leads me to believe that FP10 is assuredly a June release without question if not the day/week of E3. FP11 at the latest would be a September release. All the fighters released in this fighter pass were usually no more than 3 months or so apart in both reveals and release dates at the latest. Two months is the bare minimum going by the reveal/release date gaps between Steve, Sephiroth, and Pyra and Mythra.

Technomage

Smash Champion

True, but it still would make sense, since with only two fighters left (considering they were working on three characters at a time), they could easily do more work on each of them, thereby releasing them both sooner.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Whatever it is, the final call of either a single or double reveal happens will be next week. As to prepare everyone for the conclusion of FP2.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
True, but it still would make sense, since with only two fighters left (considering they were working on three characters at a time), they could easily do more work on each of them, thereby releasing them both sooner.
That could also hypothetically play into plans about promoting both complete passes (and perhaps a combination deal that includes both). Releasing Fighter 11 in July/early August does give Nintendo a very long period for the rest of the year and well ahead of the holidays to market such a package.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
One thing to keep in mind about Nintendo's Direct this year is the circumstances behind why they always did it when they did it in the past.

In past events, E3 conferences happen before the event itself starts because the event is at a physical location with booths and demo kiosks. Can't really reveal things properly if everyone can just walk in on the show floor and see everything that's gonna get announced early, no?

Nintendo's MO was always to go before the event started because of this, especially when the stream would lead in to Tree House Live. With E3 being a Digital event this year, however, the field's changed: The conferences are no longer the lead up to the event, they are the event, and as such, I don't think using previous instances for predicting air dates for these streams can really apply. This E3 is gonna be a way different beast than the one we're used to, and depending on how well it works, could be what we see in the years to follow.

Basically, I wouldn't overthink the airdate: It's gonna be somewhere in-between the 12th and the 15th. Anything earlier or later, and it isn't in the event's scheduling anymore, which wouldn't work if Nintendo is, as we've already seen, scheduled for the event as a major headliner.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm a bit tired of the circular "how many characters at E3" discussion so I'll tangent to something slightly related - if we do only get one character at E3 after all, how do you think your expectations would change moving forward into the final character? It's probably important to keep that in mind looking ahead as a backup if we're still in this.

Obviously it depends on who is revealed, but let's just assume for the sake of discussion it doesn't directly disqualify or hurt any of the characters you currently have on your radar... but it wasn't one of your predictions. My perspective is likely a pretty common one, but I'd probably give up on western third parties if they fail to appear at E3 seeing how it's the prime time for a character like that to appear... Steve being a notable exception, but after all there was no E3 to speak of last year. Like, I think Chief has a great chance of appearing at E3, but if he doesn't show up there of all places I heavily doubt he'd be coming.

At large I suspect a lot of discussion would revolve around smaller third party picks and more dominantly trying to crack the code of which Nintendo character could close things out. That discussion already exists, but I anticipate that it would completely dominate speculation until we get an answer. Personally I'd still hold onto my speculation about an additional SEGA character.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It also being interesting to see if (and in what fashion) there will be a Treehouse equivalent in some fashion, especially given how much those have become a staple of E3's in the past.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I personally think the Nintendo stuff will be earlier rather than later for two reasons:
1. The treehouse equivalent (if there is one) is always for multiple days after the E3 presentation during normal E3 times.
2. This year there is a award show for most anticipated games from the event.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
View attachment 317409

Does this mean we could have a character who reps the union of Bandai and Namco by having Tamer and Digimon fight as one?
I feel like whoever decided to include Lili in that Digimon game was not a huge fan of hers, considering that they gave her a Digimon that evolves into this:

...which the wiki describes as "resembl[ing] a yellow blob of typical animal excrement". (in other words, poop, or at least how Digimon depicts it) Numemon also lives in sewers and throws junk at people.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm a bit tired of the circular "how many characters at E3" discussion so I'll tangent to something slightly related - if we do only get one character at E3 after all, how do you think your expectations would change moving forward into the final character? It's probably important to keep that in mind looking ahead as a backup if we're still in this.

Obviously it depends on who is revealed, but let's just assume for the sake of discussion it doesn't directly disqualify or hurt any of the characters you currently have on your radar... but it wasn't one of your predictions. My perspective is likely a pretty common one, but I'd probably give up on western third parties if they fail to appear at E3 seeing how it's the prime time for a character like that to appear... Steve being a notable exception, but after all there was no E3 to speak of last year. Like, I think Chief has a great chance of appearing at E3, but if he doesn't show up there of all places I heavily doubt he'd be coming.

At large I suspect a lot of discussion would revolve around smaller third party picks and more dominantly trying to crack the code of which Nintendo character could close things out. That discussion already exists, but I anticipate that it would completely dominate speculation until we get an answer. Personally I'd still hold onto my speculation about an additional SEGA character.
Assuming there's only one character at E3, I'd imagine they'd be pretty big. For the last character, I'd lower expectations just a little. More than anything, I'd be happy with the fact that there's more precedence with smaller/mid-tier characters (Re: All my most-wanteds).

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

I feel like I'm expecting someone more low-key as the last fighter anyway, so if the E3 reveal was 3rd party, I'd expect a first party character. But if the E3 reveal is 1st party, then I feel like there's a chance for a third party character as the last one, just not a major series.

Either way, the Demi-Fiend isn't making it, I really doubt they'd end on him of all characters.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
They usually do it the Tuesday after everyone does. I'd expect the 15th.
Well sure but traditionally that Tuesday marks the start of E3 which is not the case this year. They usually do it on the first convention day of E3 which traditionally falls on a Tuesday and ends on Thursday. That’s not how this E3 is going tho so it could ALSO be on the first day of E3 which is Saturday the 12th.

So basically, who ****ing knows?

Edit: also I wouldn’t expect Nintendo to do it on that Tuesday because they and Xbox are the only two “Pinnacle” presenters this year. With only Square, Ubisoft, and uh... Verizon? Being the only Premier Presenters since Bethesda is sharing the stage with Xbox. It seems like Square and Ubi could be the same day and Xbox and Nintendo could be the same day. So it could also fall on the 13th for all we know.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
I feel like whoever decided to include Lili in that Digimon game was not a huge fan of hers, considering that they gave her a Digimon that evolves into this:

...which the wiki describes as "resembl[ing] a yellow blob of typical animal excrement". (in other words, poop, or at least how Digimon depicts it) Numemon also lives in sewers and throws junk at people.
To be fair from there it evolves into a giant fluffy care-bear that spreads love...

And then into a character literally called Lillithmon in most translations, based on the most evil female character in all of Judo-Christian mysticism, and one of The Seven Great Demon Lords of the Digital World.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
For personal reasons, I hope the direct isn't on the 15th lol
I want to be able to watch the Nintendo direct along with other E3 shows like the Xbox/Bethesda presentation on the 13th with friends.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

No matter what happens with Fighter #10, im 99% sure that the last fighter will be a low-key reveal, regardless if it is a announced at E3 or not.

Personally i hope they announce both so that we can get this reveals over with, but the more i think about it i can see them just holding a bit longer for FP11 just to Torture Us hold onto that Smash Hype. Plus if FP10 is supposed to be a big gang, it would weird to go from a Hype character at the beggining of the Direct to.............a much less exciting one at the end of that same Direct at E3.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Speaking of E3, what non-Nintendo presentations are y'all looking forward to?
You can answer Summer Fest if you want.
That's on the 10th 👀

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
To be fair from there it evolves into a giant fluffy care-bear that spreads love...

And then into a character literally called Lillithmon in most translations, based on the most evil female character in all of Judo-Christian mysticism, and one of The Seven Great Demon Lords of the Digital World.
Digimon sure is weird...

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Speaking of E3, what non-Nintendo presentations are y'all looking forward to?
You can answer Summer Fest if you want.
That's on the 10th 👀
Im more hyped on the idea of seeing the ahem........................."Cringe" that this E3 gives us. Seeing the akward moments of E3s always bring a smile to my face.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I would say that the E3 character will most likely be a relatively big deal. Someone like Chief or Crash tier if I were a betting man.

As for post E3, I think my expectations ironically are not going to move. I was always expecting either a smaller third party or a first party last. Right now I think that due to the spirit events we got, I lean towards the former. Some smaller choices that I think you could easily do would be a Falcom rep, be it Rean, Estelle, or Adol, Sol Badguy, Demi Fiend, SMTV shill stuff, that level of content if that makes sense.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Im more hyped on the idea of seeing the ahem........................."Cringe" that this E3 gives us. Seeing the akward moments of E3s always bring a smile to my face.
Unfortunately it looks like the majority of this E3 is going to be Pre-Recorded so there likely won’t be a lot of opportunity for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom