• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I wonder how Crash fans would react if Waluigi fans got the last slot...
Honestly I wouldn't expect that much of a fallout outside of a select group of diehards. The fanbases for Crash and Waluigi have a lot of overlap.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly I wonder how Crash fans would react if Waluigi fans got the last slot...
I don’t understand why Crash and Waluigi fans are so at odds with each other. At least on GameFAQs, I see a ton of fights between fans of each character. It seems like they should appeal to a similar demographic being wacky, colorful characters that are at least somewhat related to platformers (Waluigi hasn’t actually been in a platformer to my knowledge but is a Mario character). Neither are among my most wanted but I don’t really have a problem with either getting in.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Imagine if the final two fighters are a Capcom character and a Namco-Bandai character after everyone thought these companies were disconfirmed because of the Mii Costumes.
Phoenix and KOS-MOS would be a dream come true tbh

the Lloyd costume is still missing tho so I wouldn’t count Bamco out just yet

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
She’d be one of the most highly requested characters easily beating pretty much any newcomer characters and to be honest so would most potential cut characters.
There's no denying that once you've hit the big time of making it in, you'll always have a sizable fanbase of people who miss you that wouldn't be there otherwise and that's why Ultimate exists

Jiggs would probably settle in at "21st most wanted" at best, though - you're considered more disposable when your franchise has many other reps and many other popular candidates

volbound1700

Smash Master
Imagine if the final two fighters are a Capcom character and a Namco-Bandai character after everyone thought these companies were disconfirmed because of the Mii Costumes.
Lloyd Irving has a great chance. I feel like Lloyd, Rayman, and Jonsey are all sitting on the sideline as potential big options that are not being discussed as much. All three might be more likely than Crash or some of the other characters we keep talking about.

Speaking of Rayman, he is probably the #1 character that I am surprised has not made it in with all of the Ubisoft involvement with Nintendo, his high ranking on Smash ballots, and his just overall history with the series. I am wondering if his appearance in Brawlhalla truly was a deconfirmation for Smash.

I saw someone reference KOS-MOS and that Namco character is also very likely.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wanting your favourite character to be acknowledged by a giant corporate crossover is pain

Wanting your chosen sports team to just not get 100 points scored against them for once is torture

For everything else, there's MasterCard
Hotel? Trivago.
Yeah, I don't think it's over until Lloyd comes back. Bandai Namco hasn't even had any new costumes yet, and I think they are the only company left not to.
yeah, since Capcom and Square Enix and Sega (if you count the P3/P4 protags as such) all had new costumes

SKX31

Smash Master
There's no denying that once you've hit the big time of making it in, you'll always have a sizable fanbase of people who miss you that wouldn't be there otherwise and that's why Ultimate exists

Jiggs would probably settle in at "21st most wanted" at best, though - you're considered more disposable when your franchise has many other reps and many other popular candidates
I would've roughly agreed if Jiggs was indeed cut during Brawl's development - it's worth noting that Hungrybox didn't start to become well-known until 2008 / 2009. I'm not going to pretend that HBox is a primary factor in this context - he isn't - but he's heavily identified with Puff for a good reason.

Now though, it's a bit of a different story mostly because Jigglypuff has a whole lot more history behind it and has already survived previous close calls. As such it's arguably more difficult to cut it now (barring situations where they have much less time than they had back in Brawl). Also, Jigglypuff continues to be prominently featured in ads, such as this one a couple months ago.

It has a sizeable casual playerbase - 27th most used online according to ultimategamedata, slightly behind Samus and a bit ahead of Kirby in terms of usage (Puff is 10th out of the 12 64 characters - Fox is actually the least used amongst the Original 12). Quite a lot of casual players choose Jigglypuff not just because it is appealing (although that is a primary factor) but also because it has a strong aerial game + some flashy stuff like Drill -> Rest. On the more Serious Business side, BassMage and Arika are notable Puff players in Ultimate.

It's difficult to judge how much of an impact history actually has - while we do know it plays a part (otherwise Sakurai would've been more open to just reworking characters from the ground up) we don't know if it's going to be a big factor going into Smash 6. Still though, I wouldn't be surprised if the sheer inertia that has been built up at this point helps Jigglypuff from now on.

Bonus points if the trailer opens up with a:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
But yeah. I kinda feel like third party miis are a death knell for them ever being playable?

first parties like K. Rool and Inkling? Safe, for the next game at least. Unless you’re Rex, since Pyra and Mythra do just fine without you

but third party miis? Unless one gets promoted in base in the next game they’re doomed to repeat their fate forever (we’d have gotten Geno, Heihachi, Lloyd, a Monster Hunter or even Gil in base if that was the case... does anyone even want Gil anyway???)

Until we see the likes of Shantae, Reimu or the Knight or Gunvolt becoming playable, Miis may also be the best bet for indies in general, like Sans and Cuphead. That or ATs like Shovel Knight

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Wait that actually makes a lot of sense.

Unless Bamco is the most humble gaming company ever, maybe a 2nd character could coincide with NEW Bamco costumes.

Also, LLoyd trailer idea:
Opens with Dharkon like Hero's trailer did. Pacman boutta die. Lloyd saves Pacman. Bamco buddies.
gg

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait that actually makes a lot of sense.

Unless Bamco is the most humble gaming company ever, maybe a 2nd character could coincide with NEW Bamco costumes.

Also, LLoyd trailer idea:
Opens with Dharkon like Hero's trailer did. Pacman boutta die. Lloyd saves Pacman. Bamco buddies.
gg
My dream final two + bonus individual DLC trailer:

Octoling and KOS-MOS try to take down both Galeem AND Dharkon, until T-elos (KOS-MOS echo) slaughters both cosmic beings and fights everyone. T-elos also teams up with Sephiroth and it’s totally not cuz I ship them what are you talking about HAHAHA... ha...

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Getting to make assertions where the validity won't be proven either way for months or years is the best part of this thread

If the first character revealed for Smash 6 doesn't ride a unicycle, I'll eat my socks

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think when it comes to characters who could have the unfortunate honor of being the final fighter, Waluigi is the one whose overall reception would be the least bad. But I left my crystal ball at a friend's place, so I can't say for sure.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Also y'all I just thought of something that could've gone AGAINST Sora getting in Smash.

If Nintendo and Disney REALLY had a strong relationship:
Why wasn't Mario in the movie Ralph Breaks the Internet?

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I would've roughly agreed if Jiggs was indeed cut during Brawl's development - it's worth noting that Hungrybox didn't start to become well-known until 2008 / 2009. I'm not going to pretend that HBox is a primary factor in this context - he isn't - but he's heavily identified with Puff for a good reason.

Now though, it's a bit of a different story mostly because Jigglypuff has a whole lot more history behind it and has already survived previous close calls. As such it's arguably more difficult to cut it now (barring situations where they have much less time than they had back in Brawl). Also, Jigglypuff continues to be prominently featured in ads, such as this one a couple months ago.

It has a sizeable casual playerbase - 27th most used online according to ultimategamedata, slightly behind Samus and a bit ahead of Kirby in terms of usage (Puff is 10th out of the 12 64 characters - Fox is actually the least used amongst the Original 12). Quite a lot of casual players choose Jigglypuff not just because it is appealing (although that is a primary factor) but also because it has a strong aerial game + some flashy stuff like Drill -> Rest. On the more Serious Business side, BassMage and Arika are notable Puff players in Ultimate.

It's difficult to judge how much of an impact history actually has - while we do know it plays a part (otherwise Sakurai would've been more open to just reworking characters from the ground up) we don't know if it's going to be a big factor going into Smash 6. Still though, I wouldn't be surprised if the sheer inertia that has been built up at this point helps Jigglypuff from now on.

Bonus points if the trailer opens up with a:

Another good candidate for a reveal trailer where the fighter crushes both Galeem and Dharkon; he fought angels too, right?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Also y'all I just thought of something that would've gone AGAINST Sora getting in Smash.

I believe it was mostly just Universal obtaining the Maro film rights as they're working on the animated movie with Illumination

Nintendo and Disney have still been fairly close otherwise (KH have still been releasing on Nintendo platforms as recent as Melody of Memory last year for example), So I don't think it means too much

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Also y'all I just thought of something that could've gone AGAINST Sora getting in Smash.

I mean in fairness not getting one character in film doesn't necessarily suggest an outright bad, or even non-existent relationship, no more so than Sonic being in it suggested a strong one between Disney and Sega.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Sora is one of a very small handful of characters I actively don't want (actually, I'm pretty sure it's just him and Jonesy). I seriously don't like Kingdom Hearts and far more than that, I really, really hate Disney.
I gotta ask, is it petty that I - as somebody who isn't a huge fan of DQ, popped off at Hero's reveal because the he - the long-rumored SE character - wasn't Sora? It was as if I had gotten my MW - the reaction.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Sora is one of a very small handful of characters I actively don't want. I seriously don't like Kingdom Hearts and far more than that, I really, really hate Disney.
I gotta ask, is it petty that I - as somebody who isn't a huge fan of DQ, popped off at Hero's reveal because the he - the long-rumored SE character - wasn't Sora? It was as if I had gotten my MW - the reaction.
I don't think so, since the root of that is Disney itself, and I can see why Disney is hated.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Sora is one of a very small handful of characters I actively don't want. I seriously don't like Kingdom Hearts and far more than that, I really, really hate Disney.
I don't wanna sound mean but kinda? Would you pop off in front of a Sora fan if they were in the same room? I mean face it Disney is everywhere, just because they touch their fingers on Smash doesn't mean they're gonna ruin it by introducing Emperor Palpatine as the final fighter out of nowhere.

I loathe Cinderace with a passion, I absolutely hate that disgusting fire rabbit but when all things are done and over for Smash DLC, publicly popping off in this chat that they didn't get in is like the last thing that'll be on my mind even if I will be at least a bit satisfied. Nobody, and definitely not me, should tell you how to feel. I'd be a massive hypocrite to tell someone to stop disliking a character. Just don't gloat about it I guess. I'm somewhat skeptic but of there's something I bekieve in it's karmas and jinxes lol.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

I think i read somewhere that they wanted to include Mario in some form but the writers couldn't find a proper way for it (i think they said that they didn't want Mario to "steal the spotlight" from the main characters).

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

There was plan to include Mario in both films, time constraint are the reasons for both alongside not knowing how to give him time.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
My dream DS reveal trailer assumes that the Heroes didn't kill Dharkon in their trailer, lol. It takes place right after Sephiroth slices Galeem, and Dharkon has kinda become dominant.

It starts with a blurry ring of light in a dark sky, which is quickly revealed to be Dharkon eclipsing the sun (if you get it, you get it). This is a subtle hint for fans.

The camera pans down from Dharkon, very briefly past a very dark and obscured Anor Londo and Undead Burg, like when you're carried by the crow in DS1, and settles in a very dark Firelink Shrine. The viewer wouldn't be certain yet, though, just like in Steve's trailer.

Some subtle noises and music from DS1 will build up as the shot moves along the ground, eventually revealing a bonfire, which Chosen Undead then lights (splash screen):

077576.jpg

Gameplay, CG, Solaire + other Protag alts, yada yada yada... Smash logo.

https://youtu.be/y4gSshjeNkg

Some version of these songs would probably play:
Epilogue (DS3):
https://youtu.be/D1kvgxgBexU

Gwyn's Theme:
https://youtu.be/uyeIIGSJTZc

What do you think your MW's trailers would be like?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sora is one of a very small handful of characters I actively don't want (actually, I'm pretty sure it's just him and Jonesy). I seriously don't like Kingdom Hearts and far more than that, I really, really hate Disney.
If you want me to be honest, kinda. It would be like if I popped off because we got Yuri because I was sick of people talking about Lloyd or vice versa

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Remember that surprises can come in many forms. Sakurai, Nintendo and other companies did their best to be sure the cat isn't out of the bag.

Speculation is a way to pass the time, just make sure to not get too invested into the character(s). It might set up for one being disappointed. (Depends on the intensity. Not everyone is like that)
Screenshot_20210528-094912_YouTube.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom