• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Even with my biases...really? You clearly aren't paying attention to Smash's oh-so-grand finales. Even Bayonetta, while she's no Corrin, is from a less well-known franchise than Dark Souls.
I mean, sure that's been a pattern, doesn't mean it'll be perpetually consistent. We'll see.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Interesting…so any other musical exclusions (for 3rd party series, anyways) was moreso due to copyright.
See, that's interesting, cause while I knew about this approach being used for Ultimate, I never really got that vibe from Smash 4. The remix selection still had its fair share of interesting choices (Bob-Omb Battlefield, the actual Onett theme finally getting in, the Murasame Castle medley, and so on), but there was a pretty noticeable amount of weird repetition and "hey let's just do the same old super big tracks over and over again!". The most famous example is probably the Jungle Level apocalypse, but my personal favorite is there being two separate brand-new SMB1 medleys but one of them has the extended ending theme so technically it's a Lost Levels medley. Out of all the Smash games, it definitely feels like Smash 4 has the highest amount of remixes that don't have a reason to exist. It just feels like it plays it a bit too safe, it feels like there was a quota in some areas, whereas I feel like the "eh just do whatever tracks you like" approach shines through a lot more with Ultimate's OST.

So basically either this wasn't actually quite like that or the Smash 4 sound team were a bunch of basic *******

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
From what Ive been hearing, the test very low. Idk how they are doin jow but all I know is people in Japan want the Olympics cancelled now
Most people in Japan (70 % according to polls that BBC cited, with the Guardian citing a poll that showed 80 %) oppose hosting the Olympics this year, yes. Considering the fact that the Olympic Village would be in danger of becoming a covid hotspot, yeah I don't blame 'em.

The issues surrounding that stem from the fact that it's IOC's call to make (not the Tokyo prefecture's), and the IOC likely does not want to pull the plug on that when they've already delayed a major money-maker for a year. Considering IOC's infamous association with corruption, I wouldn't be surprised. I also strongly suspect that Japan's government might want to avoid losing face - especially since the 2022 Winter Olympics is in Beijing. You know the joke Cosmic77 Cosmic77 made? That's the kind of stuff IOC really wants to avoid at all costs, especially since a Mario & Sonic game and other related Tokyo 2020 merchandise was released.

Dark Souls has always felt like an interesting concept for a fighter.

I just question how fun they'd be to play/be as.

I don't question Sakurai's ability to give a Dark Souls character a moveset, but knowing Sakurai, he'd try to encapsulate the essence of Dark Souls gameplay in the character itself.... which would mean brutal difficulty. A character with insanely slow attacks that deal considerable damage, but is fairly frail sounds.... unique, to say the least.
We do have similarily defensive characters in the game: :ulthero: might be the best comparision to CU as I talked about previously. Hero has similarily slow sword swings (whether start up or end lag) and specials that encourage playing a zoning game. Those swings and spells are extremely potent though, with the crits and explosive spells, so there may be reason to go a slightly different route:

Forwarning: I have no experience with Dark Souls, so the below might be a tad inaccurate.

• Building him somewhat akin to Hero might be a solution. Of course, no Crits or spells that blow people up at 30 %, but the ability to stay in the fray and parry could encourage people to try him out. As for armor (see previous post): not talking armor as in resistance to flinching, but some damage reduction could go a long way.
  • The defensive focused characters already in the game: :ultrosalina: , :ultkrool: , :ultminmin, :ulthero: and one can add :ultlink: - all have arguably something in common. They have some potent burst outside of their Smash attacks. CU could certainly have some burst behind him - sure oftentimes he might only do like 20-30 % - but damage is not the only source in Smash, knockback is too. I'm pretty sure that CU could work with some relatively high knockback moves.
  • I'm also pretty sure that Dark Souls' magic could work partly as zoning tools, partly as enhancers. Nothing as crazy as Hero's, but it doesn't need to be. Both the Soul Arrow and the Magic Weapon-related spells for example could be ways to introduce commital and perhaps fun elements to CU's moveset by introducing a risk-reward system.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Honestly on my end, and I assume everyone else’s, it’s just to finally “win”. The localization of Mother 3, flawed or otherwise, would be the final chapter of a battle that the Mother community has been fighting for years on years. It’s definitely more about the sentiment than anything else.

And yeah, for the people who weren’t in the know they can finally experience the game to some extent, so long as Nintendo markets it properly.
so long as Nintendo markets it properly.
“This Game Stinks Even More”™️

Technomage

Smash Champion
Wouldn’t it be hilarious if RE Village got a Spirit Event simply for being Capcom even though it’s not on the Switch? Just being hypothetical.
Fine by me, just as long as it doesn't bring in its scariest monster (you don't wanna know what it is, by the way). 😨

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I don't really find that all that scary.

It's shocking on the first encounter sure, but it just feels... really out of place? Like, I get it's symbolic and all that, but the thing feels like it'd be a better fit for Silent Hill than Resident Evil.... That, and the scene that follows after it, with the dolls, is frankly hilarious to me for some reason, which kinda diminishes the fear.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I too am terrified by a 9 foot tall milf. :4pacman:

Yes I know that one you're talking about goo goo gaa gaa
I mean, I'm not familiar with RE8 at all beyond the aforementioned 9-foot-tall milf, but she definitely turns into a horrifying monster at the end of the game. It's Resident Evil.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My only complaint with Ultimate's soundtrack is that they didn't balance out their new compositions very well. Some franchises (Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Wario, Sonic, Bayonetta, etc.) didn't get squat while others sort of just randomly raked in ten or more remixes. It's even more bizarre when you realize stuff like Wii Fit somehow got more remixes (2) than the ones previously listed.

Going forward, I'd like to see them try squeezing in at least one new remix for every franchise. I don't feel like that's asking for a lot, especially if these franchises aren't getting a new stage or character. That single remix might be one of the only pieces of new content these franchises get.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My only complaint with Ultimate's soundtrack is that they didn't balance out their new compositions very well.
To expand on this a bit into series that were fortunate enough to get something, what baffles me further is that they decided to do two new Mother arrangements and out of all the fantastic songs they could have chosen... they remix Magicant and Fourside again.

They’re fine arrangements on their own (not as good as the originals IMO) but man it really feels like a poor use of resources when you could have introduced something brand new instead.

I suppose it was just that important to them that all the chill sounding songs got a more upbeat variation, I guess. Which is a philosophy I also completely disagree with - being able to fight to stuff like say, Bath Time just adds to the charm and chaos of Smash - but I digress.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My only complaint with Ultimate's soundtrack is that they didn't balance out their new compositions very well. Some franchises (Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Wario, Sonic, Bayonetta, etc.) didn't get squat while others sort of just randomly raked in ten or more remixes. It's even more bizarre when you realize stuff like Wii Fit somehow got more remixes (2) than the ones previously listed.

Going forward, I'd like to see them try squeezing in at least one new remix for every franchise. I don't feel like that's asking for a lot, especially if these franchises aren't getting a new stage or character. That single remix might be one of the only pieces of new content these franchises get.
I honestly wish F-Zero had less SNES remixes and more X/GX songs especially the latter

and ESPECIALLY the vocal pilot themes

forever he will be my hero

SKX31

Smash Master
I too am terrified by a 9 foot tall milf. :4pacman:

:4pacman:

To expand on this a bit into series that were fortunate enough to get something, what baffles me further is that they decided to do two new Mother arrangements and out of all the fantastic songs they could have chosen... they remix Magicant and Fourside again.
That if anything sounds like the musicians Nintendo employs simply didn't communicate with each other a lot. That and they might not have cross-checked with each other. To writ:

• The new Magicant and Fourside remixes were done by Motoi Sakuraba, who might've not consulted Yokoi Shimomura (Magicant Smash 4) or Hirokazu Ando (Fourside Melee).
  • The four Jungle Level remixes have four different composers: Ando (64), Shogo Sakai (Melee Japes), Sakuraba (Brawl), and Hiroyuki Kawada (4). Then you have the OG DKC Jungle level theme and now Tropical Freeze's Swinger Flinger (another remix!), each with their own composer as well. Jeez.
  • The SMB ground theme... oh boy. You have the original 1-1 (Kondo), 64's theme (done by Ando), Melee Princess Peach castle (Sakai), Brawl's 1-1 (Kondo returns!), Odyssey's band performance, the 1-1 / 1-2 combination done by Tetsuya Shibata.
Edit: That and a lot of people will default to what's known as a very simple reference point. Probably why Sakuraba went with Magicant / Fourside instead of Bath Time, although it does leave a lot of music unexplored when those tracks might need the spotlight more.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

That’s kinda why I made this.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Let’s have a bit of fun
Pick 3 fighting game characters that you would want smash and why
Okay, I'll begin:

Morrigan Aensland: Could make for a fresher take on the FG character moveset, since she'd have more emphasis on aerial combat; plus, she's hot.

Heihachi Mishima: He could have gotten into Smash 4's roster if he wasn't so complicated to add faithfully.

Bad Mr. Frosty: He'd be repping a hilarious fighting game parody.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Let’s have a bit of fun
Scorpion - Ryu vs Scorpion can finally happen in an officially licensed game, and he could bring in cool moves such as his teleportation gimmick, and his iconic spear. GET OVER HERE! Also the MK theme is SUPER Iconic

Sol Badguy - Love his design. Guilty Gear has, imo, amazing animations, and Sol's bring in the heat and while I'm not too knowledgable on Sol's GG movesets, I've seen gameplay and it looks great. GG's soundtrack is great too.

Jin Kazama - I'd love for 3D Fighting games to get a bit more content somehow. Since Heihachi got Mii'd, guess we should go for the Tekken frontrunner, eh? Also, love his design.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
Let’s have a bit of fun
Elena (Street Fighter): her attire not being CERO friendly aside she is an African fighter who only uses kicks because of her Capoeira style. An all kick moveset would be a first in Smash and Elena vs Little Mac matches would be fun to play and watch lol

Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear): frantic airdasher anime style sets him apart from the likes of Terry and Ryu/Ken. Plus GG has a dope soundtrack.

Nightmare (Soul Calibur): heavy armored swordsman with a different approach to 3D mechanics from Tekken. His appearance in Smash returns the favor to Link's appearance in SCII.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, I'll begin:

Morrigan Aensland: Could make for a fresher take on the FG character moveset, since she'd have more emphasis on aerial combat; plus, she's hot.

Heihachi Mishima: He could have gotten into Smash 4's roster if he wasn't so complicated to add faithfully.

Bad Mr. Frosty: He'd be repping a hilarious fighting game parody.
What’s Bad Mr. Frosty from?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Honestly, I don't really find that all that scary.

It's shocking on the first encounter sure, but it just feels... really out of place? Like, I get it's symbolic and all that, but the thing feels like it'd be a better fit for Silent Hill than Resident Evil.... That, and the scene that follows after it, with the dolls, is frankly hilarious to me for some reason, which kinda diminishes the fear.
I think it makes sense when you are paying attention to the first bit and it's not necessarily symbolic. The dollmaster Donna is using hallucinations of Ethan's family to mess with Ethan, using the doll of Mia, her voice and her appearances and a "very twisted" version of Rose. And besides the visions of Mia early on, the dolls also show that it's not quite reality when you see them hanging, because when you kill Donna and go back the same way, all the dolls were actually dead bodies that start coming back to life. There is also the one house with the letter about a person who was friends with Donna and it was shown that Donna was using some kind of flowers or whatnot to do hallucinations when the person saw their dead family member.

Anyway, it made sense to me because it's Donna trying to drive Ethan insane due to her "jealousy" of Miranda "favoring" him and Rose. Remember earlier, she said she'd make a much better daughter than Rose. She uses Mia and a doll of her to mess with Ethan and the baby fetus thing is meant to be Rose, whether it's because that's how Donna actually views Rose or is using a very twisted version of a baby Rose to try and kill Ethan.

That said, one, I don't deny that that part really reminded me more of Silent Hill, especially PT. You are going through the same rooms, albeit in a very pseudo-manner compared to PT, cause the room layout actually remains the same and you aren't constantly going through a doorway that changes the area, and when I first saw the baby, I was pretty much like, "Good lord, the fetus from PT got much bigger!"
Two, as much as that part was still very good, I think Donna and Angie were very underutilised. I've always enjoyed ventriloquists like Edgar Bergen and early Jeff Dunham with the actor and the doll interacting with each other. So to hardly hear Donna talk or for her and Angie to never really interact with each other made me feel sad that she and Angie were very underutilised.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Let’s have a bit of fun
Fulgore - Killer Instinct has been my favorite pure Fighting game series since the SNES. Fulgore is also an awesome character with a really unique look. Killer Instinct also has a very strong connection to Nintendo despite now being X-Box exclusive. Finally, Killer Instinct for the X-Box has one of the best soundtracks ever.

Sub-Zero - Mortal Kombat is a huge and iconic franchise and it would be awesome to finally see it crossed over with Street Fighter. While Scorpion is also cool and probably a bit more recognizable but I’ve always preferred Sub-Zero. I love ice elemental users and Smash is currently lacking in that department. Steve Blum is also one of my favorite voice actors ever.

Nightmare - Soul Calibur is another favorite of mine and Nightmare has an awesome design that really stands out from other fighting game characters and the rest of the roster. While we may have a lot of sword users already, no one fights quite like Nightmare with his stances.

Shroob

Sup?
I think it makes sense when you are paying attention to the first bit and it's not necessarily symbolic. The dollmaster Donna is using hallucinations of Ethan's family to mess with Ethan, using the doll of Mia, her voice and her appearances and a "very twisted" version of Rose. And besides the visions of Mia early on, the dolls also show that it's not quite reality when you see them hanging, because when you kill Donna and go back the same way, all the dolls were actually dead bodies that start coming back to life. There is also the one house with the letter about a person who was friends with Donna and it was shown that Donna was using some kind of flowers or whatnot to do hallucinations when the person saw their dead family member.

Anyway, it made sense to me because it's Donna trying to drive Ethan insane due to her "jealousy" of Miranda "favoring" him and Rose. Remember earlier, she said she'd make a much better daughter than Rose. She uses Mia and a doll of her to mess with Ethan and the baby fetus thing is meant to be Rose, whether it's because that's how Donna actually views Rose or is using a very twisted version of a baby Rose to try and kill Ethan.

That said, one, I don't deny that that part really reminded me more of Silent Hill, especially PT. You are going through the same rooms, albeit in a very pseudo-manner compared to PT, cause the room layout actually remains the same and you aren't constantly going through a doorway that changes the area, and when I first saw the baby, I was pretty much like, "Good lord, the fetus from PT got much bigger!"
Two, as much as that part was still very good, I think Donna and Angie were very underutilised. I've always enjoyed ventriloquists like Edgar Bergen and early Jeff Dunham with the actor and the doll interacting with each other. So to hardly hear Donna talk or for her and Angie to never really interact with each other made me feel sad that she and Angie were very underutilised.
Nah, it's definitely symbolic. The scene kinda gives off a vibe of Ethan being worried about his daughter's future, considering you know, she's basically a monster, and what could become of her, see, big, mutant baby monster.

But yeah, the issue for me is... I dunno if you've ever played it with Japanese voices, but Japanese Angie is just..... funny. Her voice makes me laugh soo damn hard that any tension of the prior scene just kinda washes away.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Super cheesy lore, but he's a fan favorite DLC boss from the first game, and for a reason. Knight Artorias is considered one of the best bosses in the series by many, and canonically, he is super strong. When you fight him, his dominant arm is broken, and he's ill. Even still, he can kick your a** repeatedly.
Also, he's like a super-direct Guts from Berserk reference in a series filled with Berserk references.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
How do you guys add little things/comments/emotes underneath each of your posts, which also show up every time you post or comment?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How do you guys add little things/comments/emotes underneath each of your posts, which also show up every time you post or comment?
I assume you're talking about signatures? Click on your username in the top-right corner of the page, and "Signature" should be towards the bottom on the left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom