• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think theirs too much upcoming arguments that are against Rayman, if you aren't going to support the thread, then why bother to even click on this thread. We can say the same things to your most wanted DLC.
Because it's a thread for discussing Rayman, and I was discussing Rayman.
You do realise Rayman was the official mascot of the France World Cup team last World Cup, like Pikachu was for Japan, right?

Yeah, people totally don't care about him outside of Smashboards. He only represented an entire nation in one of the biggest sporting events in the world.

https://www.facebook.com/Uplay.Ubisoft/posts/10152301318878887
Litteraly the fist lines of the article

It’s not even an April Fool’s joke, we promise you

It seems that the idea of having classic animated gaming characters as a football team’s mascot for the 2014 World Cup is starting to get a little out of hand.
Seems like the author doesn't take it too seriously. Interestingly, from my search, I didn't find a lot of articles about this. There was also not on ESPN. The articles I found were all game sites.

To no surprise, no one actually tries to disprove the Law of Diminishing Utility. I am disappointed.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Seems like the author doesn't take it too seriously. Interestingly, from my search, I didn't find a lot of articles about this. There was also not on ESPN. The articles I found were all game sites.

To no surprise, no one actually tries to disprove the Law of Diminishing Utility. I am disappointed.
It wasn't an April Fools Joke, it just was posted on that day. When the World Cup was on, Ubisoft made a lot of Facebook posts (using artwork specially composed of new sprite poses of the Rayman characters, complete with jerseys) keeping track of the France's progress. It's even documented on RayWiki as being genuine. Just because you want it to be sarcastic, doesn't mean it is.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
It wasn't an April Fools Joke, it just was posted on that day. When the World Cup was on, Ubisoft made a lot of Facebook posts (using artwork specially composed of new sprite poses of the Rayman characters, complete with jerseys) keeping track of the France's progress. It's even documented on RayWiki as being genuine. Just because you want it to be sarcastic, doesn't mean it is.

Sorry, didn't mean it that way. I was just unsure. But yeah, it was pretty much legit.

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - DLC Support Thread, Trophies Galore!

Discussing, as in the positives, its a support thread, It's not like Sakurai is going to see any DLC support thread, so whatever you say wont affect it in any way.

Inb4flame

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Alright...because you're apparently itching for an argument:

Let's define the Law of Diminishing Utility from businessdictionary.com.

"A psychological generalization that the perceived value of, or satisfaction gained from, a good to a consumer declines with each additional unit acquired or consumed."

Based on the argument at hand, this can easily be interpreted as:

"Even the most requested characters, for example, will appeal less and less to the player when he or she has had enough, and if development continues, dissatisfaction (disutility) will result. Players deal with this phenomenon by asking for a variety of characters rather than one type of character."

52 characters in Smash 3DS/U counting the Mii Fighters as one and the unreleased Mewtwo, of which exactly 3 are third party. The third parties barely make 1/17th of the roster, which, quite frankly, is nothing. A fourth third party that brings the roster to 53 would still barely be 1/13th of the roster. You are attempting to claim, and I quote you:

I think if there is a line for third party characters, we've kind of hit it. I think after 4 third party characters and three of the most iconic names in video games, I don't think we can really go any further with it without it becoming silly. Rayman is cool and all, but he is not on the same caliber of the other third party characters. There is also the fact that I think his inclusion would be more polarized. In general, I don't think third party characters should be DLC.
...that it would be silly if a fourth third party character joined Smash 3DS/U's roster, based on a) lack of caliber compared to the other 3 we currently have, b) an assumption that his reception would be polarized, and c) your own opinion of it being silly.

All three points have already been addressed by other members of the thread, so I won't needlessly argue if all it will do is trigger a not so subtle insult much like those you have thrown already.

Back to the subject at hand of the Law Of Diminishing Utility. One more third party character will not harm Smash at all. You think that it can't go any further without it becoming silly. Silly how? Silly that a group of characters that would occupy at most 1/13th of the roster would somehow begin to appeal less to Smash players? It would become silly if there were 7-10 third party characters, but the reality is that we only have 3. The same idea you attempt to propose is highly subjective as well. You think that it would become silly. If you can rally at least twelve thousand people that share the exact same sentiment here, then I will by all means change my stance on the matter. And twelve thousand people is not unreasonable due to Smash's massive player base.

Another thing I mean to address is your over-reliance on this Law you propose. If it is the one consistent argument you can propose against the possible inclusion of a fourth third party, then your stance is laughably weak. I don't see you arguing on Snake's support thread with this logic either, which indicates a clear bias against Rayman.

What I'm saying is we don't need Rayman. He's not a Nintendo character, and his inclusion wont sit as well as it did for the other characters.
Snake is not a Nintendo character either. Would his return as DLC sit as well as it did for the other characters? Surely if you think third parties shouldn't be DLC, then Snake also falls under that category. The logical conclusion, again, is an irrational bias against one character and your attempting to justify said bias with a simple economics law applied in a different context.

I welcome your counter argument so long as you are respectful and detailed and you don't resort to foul language like the quote below.

Of course, had you looked at little more into it, you would have foudn this out. You also would have seen your source was bull****.

Last edited:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
This makes me wish that Rayman would be made playable as DLC by now, not only because we all want him, but to prove people like them wrong big time.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
That Law doesn't really apply to
Smash Bros., as people were saying this when it comes to another character:

Before Rosalina was announced- "We don't need another Mario character!"

After Rosalina was announced-
"Oh, ya. Rosalina's a cool character, totally called she would be in though!"

It's not really a matter of NEEDING a character. There are no limits to the roster. If ya don't like him/her, don't play as him/her. The game is supposed to have a lot of options when it comes to playable characters, so if you don't like Rayman, pick another character.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
It's not really a matter of NEEDING a character. There are no limits to the roster. If ya don't like him/her, don't play as him/her. The game is supposed to have a lot of options when it comes to playable characters, so if you don't like Rayman, pick another character.
I still can't excuse Dark Pit.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hey guys! You might want to check this out real quick: http://www.gonintendo.com/s/243635-smash-bros-wii-u-unused-sound-file-discusses-mystery-opponent

It doesn't outright confirm Rayman, but given the chances, it's likely we'll be hearing news on DLC sooner than we think.
This is more likely to be used as Palutena's Guidance for all DLC characters than outright confirming someone.
Though in context, it'd be hilarious for Palutena to not know who Rayman is.

Last edited:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
This is more likely to be used as Palutena's Guidance for all DLC characters than outright confirming someone.
Though in context, it'd be hilarious for Palutena to not know who Rayman is.

I guess you're right. Still, at least it does hint at possible DLC, somewhat. Better for all DLC than just none.
What would be even funnier is that I can imagine Pit mistaking Rayman as some sort of new Eggplant Wizard-type of monster, hence the 'vegetable' bit from Origins.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I guess you're right. Still, at least it does hint at possible DLC, somewhat. Better for all DLC than just none.
What would be even funnier is that I can imagine Pit mistaking Rayman as some sort of new Eggplant Wizard-type of monster, hence the 'vegetable' bit from Origins.
If it's used for Mewtwo, it'll be used for everyone(if anyone) that follows. No chance for special conversations, which does suck.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It really annoys me that Capcom, who aren't supporting the Wii U (RE: Revelations 2 and SFV should have both been on Wii U) have a character in the roster, and Ubisoft who have like 9 games out on the Wii U don't.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
It really annoys me that Capcom, who aren't supporting the Wii U (RE: Revelations 2 and SFV should have both been on Wii U) have a character in the roster, and Ubisoft who have like 9 games out on the Wii U don't.
I know, right?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I have a feeling its going to be a very very very old character that no one remembers, still I don't understand why Duck Hunt Dog came in, no one really wanted nor even like him.
Every character has it's fans. Look at Dark Pit.

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
Every character has it's fans. Look at Dark Pit.
No one ever thought of DHD to ever be in SSB4, Sakurai's own character he wanted in I guess?

EDIT: I seen another thread saying about this but on Gamefaq's some people said it could be for all the DLC characters because the actors don't want to take any more voice clips, would make sense if Lucas from Mother got in and Pit didn't know him.

Last edited:

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Yes. Rayman for DLC

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
DHD made it in because they are a very appealing and adorable concept for a character. I sincerely hope that they make a Banjo-Kazooie kind of adventure game out of the two of them.

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
DHD made it in because they are a very appealing and adorable concept for a character. I sincerely hope that they make a Banjo-Kazooie kind of adventure game out of the two of them.
The audience would go wild if the dead characters got a new experienced game, like the dead characters, that would really bring up the sales for Nintendo and Capcom, a new Megaman game and DHD game, etc.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I have a feeling its going to be a very very very old character that no one remembers, still I don't understand why Duck Hunt Dog came in, no one really wanted nor even like him.
The Duck Hunt Duo are the best newcomers BY FAR. Palutena and Robin are the most uneccessary newcomers ever (not that fun to play as, especially Palutena and from an already over represented series).

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The Duck Hunt Duo are the best newcomers BY FAR. Palutena and Robin are the most uneccessary newcomers ever.
I'm gonna stop you right there and say that Robin is a great newcomer. His gameplay is quite fresh in a series like Smash.

He did crush Gematsu, after all.

Regardless, an opinion is an opinion, so I won't argue about it.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
No hatred against unique characters is needed,they can teach us one thing or two in the future...

I have not much faith on rayman but put me in the support list @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux , I would love to see a fresh face on smash.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't understand why Duck Hunt Dog came in, no one really wanted nor even like him.
As a Duck Hunt main, I feel very put off by this. He and Pac-Man are my favorite new characters in this game...

We all want Rayman here, but there's no need to put down other characters.

Dark Pit is also one of my secondaries. I actually really love the roster as a whole.
Palutena and Robin are the most uneccessary newcomers ever (not that fun to play as, especially Palutena and from an already over represented series).
...And as both a Robin and Palutena main, I feel even worse.

Is it "kick a man while he's down" day?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm gonna stop you right there and say that Robin is a great newcomer. His gameplay is quite fresh in a series like Smash.

He did crush Gematsu, after all.

Regardless, an opinion is an opinion, so I won't argue about it.
I'm not hating on him, but Robin feels very unnecessary (Isaac could have had a fairly similar moveset to him, and bring in franchise diversity, FE already has ample representation). I don't mind him that much, but he's definitely the worst newcomer after Palutena, who is just all kinds of terrible.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm not hating on him, but Robin feels very unnecessary (Isaac could have had a fairly similar moveset to him, and bring in franchise diversity, FE already has ample representation). I don't mind him that much, but he's definitely the worst newcomer after Palutena, who is just all kinds of terrible.
This opinion is considering that Dark Pit is a thing. Robin, a non-clone with an interesting playstyle, is a worse newcomer than a recolor of Pit that is slower and has a different Final Smash.

Alright.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ouch, my poor mains.

The highlighted part is particularly full of irony in this thread. I'd go on about how "representation" is a load of it, but I don't feel like typing up an essay on it for the umpteenth time. Also, Palutena is a far better character than over half of the cast.

Now can we please keep character bashing to a minimum? It's bad enough after having someone bash Rayman earlier.

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
I have to agree a little bit on Palutena, shes not that fun to play with, all of her moves are boring, im not hating on any characters, I understand @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux we all have are own personalities, I don't hate DHD, I just feel like it was a giant surprise and no one even expected him at all, I don't recall, but I heard somewhere that Sakurai was almost about to put Chrom in or do something different than a final smash, but made a liking for Robin instead, its probably just because we really, and I mean REALLY needed some "mage" character.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Now can we please keep character bashing to a minimum? It's bad enough after having someone bash Rayman earlier.
A single person bashing Rayman won't destroy the thread. And if he can't reasonably counter my argument back there and continues bashing, he's lost.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I love playing as Sonic, but I just feel like his moves are bland with spinning and punching with kicks, that's basically all he does, he's fun to win with but not to play with.
I entirely disagree. The purpose of his attacks having a lot of visual similarities is to give him a mind game factor. He doesn't telegraph his movements as much as much of the cast. Not only that, but there is a ton of cool tech involved with his Spin moves.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Since the whole thing is almost getting out of hand, I'll relive the tension by showing off some of my Rayman related artwork that I've done myself, some of them done with Miiverse.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Okay we need a Professional here @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux what does the Trophy Description and Mario Alt. say in Legends? I'm about 99.9% sure they mention Rayman coming from an Alternate Universe! Can you double check?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Okay we need a Professional here @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux what does the Trophy Description and Mario Alt. say in Legends? I'm about 99.9% sure they mention Rayman coming from an Alternate Universe! Can you double check?
Ray Plumber: Always looking for coins, mushrooms and shining stars in the Glade of Dreams, this fellow strongly reminds me of another famous hero!

Glob Plumber: This hero explores the Glade of Dreams looking for green pipes that he believes would lead him to secret chambers full of coins! Hum, I’ve already heard that story somewhere...

No mentions of alternate dimensions, sadly. Trust me, I would have jumped on it if I thought it had any correlation to Rayman.

Honestly, the only thing that came to mind was Palutena being unable to grasp the true form of Giygas' attack.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I haven't got Smash Wii U yet, but here are their respective descriptions:

"Always looking for coins, mushrooms and shining stars in the Glade of Dreams, this fellow strongly reminds me of another famous hero!" - Rayman Legends

The Glade of Dreams is technically an alternate universe that Palutena could be hinting at since Mewtwo is already from a current universe in Smash Bros, so it couldn't be referring him.

Top Bottom