• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I honestly doubt were only getting 2 more characters. There's a fighter pack that has the 4 DLC characters currently in the game so it only makes sense that their would be at least another 4 characters released for another fighter pack especially considering that the bundle is labelled "Fighter Pack #1" as opposed to just "Fighter Pack" meaning were in for at least another 4 characters.

I personally believe that we will receive 3 characters from the Ballot and Wolf whom I personally believe is being saved for around the release of Star Fox Zero (Lucas was near completion at his reveal and was only released 2 and a half months later showing that Nintendo will hold off releasing characters if that's what they want to do).
That's my thought exactly.

*desperately tries to think of something to talk about by grasping at the thinnest of straws* So... lot of characters are turning up in Super Mario Maker. Think it could mean big things for some of them in the future?
Probably not. I don't think it means a whole lot overall. Most of the "side" characters had some role in Smash anyway. Arguably, even Slippy does, since he talks on some of the stages.

The only one I'm interested in atm is seeing if K. Rool makes it, since that's another game he was considered for without being back in DK yet. (I still think he'd be in it eventually, though, because I'm positive we're getting a DKC Amiibo line.)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
This. Honestly, I'd much rather have Donbe and/or Hikari as a representative of the Famicom Fairy Tales.

We might as well go with the original protagonists, as well as the only one to get a sequel... in a three game series. They're referenced more, music in Brawl reused in For , heck already were a trophy in Melee, yet are brushed aside for some sort of name "coincidence?"

Honestly, I'd much rather take them over Goku. Is it really that hard to do research on characters?
I actually want both if you can't tell (I own both character support threads lol). I don't know why no one does research on possible characters. Its not that difficult.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Gematsu discussions be like this.

We need more bears in Smash and those Mii Fighter outfits aren't going to cut it.
So in other words Brash the bear
maybe...Banjo-Kazooie? Would that cut it?

:troll:
So much Chrom posts...

If Fire Emblem gets another character need to be something original (We already have a Semi-Clon and a filler)... Someone that doesn't use a sword.

We have some options, Azura would be cool with her lance, my personal option is Micaiah using light magic, staffs and be the first (probably the only viable) non-weapon user Fire Emblem Character (well, this looks a little bit obvious xD)
*Sigh* Well since I can't have Chrom, and Lyn is even more out of the question, I would want Micaiah. But then I'm torn between wanting Anna, or Tiki….or Hector, or Literally every Fire Emblem character.!
See, this is why we need a game like Fire Emblem Warriors in similar vein to Hyrule Warriors. C'mon Nintendo!

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
We don't need more Awakening representation, let other FE games have a chance. I'm not even necessarily talking about Fates. A Genealogy of the Holy War, Sacred Stones, or a Gaiden character would also be very interesting. Julia from FEIV especially.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We don't need more Awakening representation, let other FE games have a chance. I'm not even necessarily talking about Fates. A Genealogy of the Holy War, Sacred Stones, or a Gaiden character would also be very interesting. Julia from FEIV especially.
You DO know why Jgdral is probably never happening, right? Especially the incest part, not to mention Gaiden and Sacred Stones are kind of the black sheep of the series, especially Gaiden

D

Deleted member

We have no evidence he was "meant" to be his own character, its all speculation. The only evidence we have is he was briefly considered and quickly turned down. And please don't cite Source Gaming, that's a pure speculation piece and means jack crap.
I'm referring to the concept that he wasn't meant to be a costume/clone like Lucina was. :facepalm:
If I had said he "was evaluated as a standard newcomer", would that have made my point clearer?

Last edited by a moderator:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Ugh, they should really translate those games, or remake them. Nintendo probably won't do that though. If I was a translator working at Nintendo Treehouse, I'd totally just translate Japan only Nintendo games in my spare time.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ugh, westerners apparently can't handle weird ****. Magypsies would probably be hated for the exact same reason Tingle is.
To be fair...

The biggest thing is probably the **** joke.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I literally have no idea. I'm not joking. I know no curse words that start with R.
There is a joke where it is implied that a magypsy has forced intercourse with Lucas.

Granted, that's not the case but it's a joke that's there.

D

Deleted member

It's not a swear.
However, it's a very heated subject to where it's worth avoiding the word at all costs.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I literally have no idea. I'm not joking. I know no curse words that start with R.
There's a scene with a Magypsie and Lucas before Lucas awakens more PSI powers. It could easily be assumed as sex without consent
Ugh, westerners apparently can't handle weird ****. Magypsies would probably be hated for the exact same reason Tingle is.
I can handle it, but a decade ago, that **** would be so stupidly controversial and still is a bit

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So here's a thought I'm thinking.

I think we'll get a new series. But only one.

Why do I think that?

Because that series would have to have a new stage with it.

You people agree? Maybe not one, but very few.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be surprised to see Chibi Robo or a Rythm Heaven character. Hell, I expect them more than Isaac or K. Rool. I would also not be surprised to see more third parties or an indy.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Why do I think that?

I'd bet GS if anything.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chibi Robo or a Rythm Heaven character. Hell, I expect them more than Isaac or K. Rool. I would also not be surprised to see more third parties or an indy.
It seems that I never agree with anything you say.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
You don't have to agree. But my concerns about Isaac and K. Rool are thus:
K. Rool is done. There was no reason to make him a costume other than his popularity. If you ask me, it's a ****ty bone being thrown. Being put alongside the likes of Chrom who has about as much chance as Shrek does not augur well either. If I'm wrong, I will jubilantly eat my words.

Isaac is far more likely, but if for all his popularity and potential, K. Rool was still deemed unworthy, I think Isaac may suffer the same treatment, despite having similar positive qualities. It's not definite, but if K. Rool MIA for the past few years was truly a factor in keeping him out, then I'm afraid Isaac also shares that negative quality. Though I still think his chances are passable right now.

Don't misunderstand me, I want both and they would make fine additions. But I just can't see it.

As for more third parties and indies, I don't think their chances are tremendously high, but I think people underestimate them. Fighting with a shovel could easily press Sakurai's "unique" button, as could Shantae's skillset. They may not have Japanese support, but Sonic was added in Brawl mainly because of western fans.

For third parties, I really should have said third party. The only one who I think has a decent shot is Banjo. Yeah, I'm aware Microsoft is a competitor, but if he makes enough money as DLC, who cares? Nintendo still gets some of it. The Phil Spencer tweet should also not be ignored. I don't think his chances are terrific per say, but I also think he shouldn't be written off so early.

Forgive me if this whole thing is written sloppily or poorly. It's 3AM and I'm tired AF. In the end, it all comes down to a roll of the dice either way. I'm just not feeling too optimistic about fan favorites right now.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
You don't have to agree. But my concerns about Isaac and K. Rool are thus:
K. Rool is done. There was no reason to make him a costume other than his popularity. If you ask me, it's a ****ty bone being thrown. Being put alongside the likes of Chrom who has about as much chance as Shrek does not augur well either. If I'm wrong, I will jubilantly eat my words.

Isaac is far more likely, but if for all his popularity and potential, K. Rool was still deemed unworthy, I think Isaac may suffer the same treatment, despite having similar positive qualities. It's not definite, but if K. Rool MIA for the past few years was truly a factor in keeping him out, then I'm afraid Isaac also shares that negative quality. Though I still think his chances are passable right now.

Don't misunderstand me, I want both and they would make fine additions. But I just can't see it.
I still don't understand how it is that being a Mii costume automatically equates no longer being a valid choice for the ballot. Semantics of why he was made into a Mii Costume aside, considering we haven't gotten official word on how Mii Costume choices are even made or what affect they have on the roster, we've gotten costumes of all of Samus, Link and Mega Man, as well as headgear of various other playable characters, meaning that it is feasible for a K. Rool character to exist alongside Miis appearing in his likeness.

Notice my emphasis on the word feasible. Regardless of whatever interpretation one makes of a character being a costume, the fact remains that being a Mii Fighter costume does not conflict with being a playable character. Until there is evidence to prove otherwise, either in the form of an official source stating that characters that inspired Mii Fighter Costumes are no longer eligible to be playable ballot DLC or none of King K. Rool, Inkling, or Lloyd Irving being any of the playable DLC characters after the wave of ballot DLC ends, Mii Fighters affecting the ballot candidates in any way is conjecture. I can't emphasize this point enough. This is exactly why I think "K. Rool was still deemed unworthy" is a baseless claim, regardless of my stance on the character or his actual chances. Likewise for Lloyd, Black Knight, Zero and the Inklings. Unlike Chrom and Dunban who are already a key parts of playable characters' Final Smashes, as well as Isabelle for already being an Assist Trophy, none of these characters already have existing roles in Smash. I'm not saying any of them are likely in the first place, only that they aren't counted out through mere Mii Costumes.

Is there anything I'm missing to suggest a direct correlation between being a mii costume and not being playable? I really would like to see if it's possible to reach a consensus on this, or at the very least, agree on a Schrödinger's cat scenario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

we've gotten costumes of all of Samus, Link and Mega Man, as well as headgear of various other playable characters
I really hate when people try to use this point.

While a costume isn't necessarily a disconfirmation for K. Rool, let me ask this: did those costumes of Link and Samus come first, or did the characters come first?
Answer: The characters. Hell, they've been here since 1999.

Same with the headgear of the various other playable characters. (I swear to God, if anyone legitimately tries to use "but Meta Knight's hat was shown before Meta Knight!" as a counterpoint, I will find a way to punch them through their computer screen).
Even more important to note about the headgear is that they existed before Smash. All pre-DLC headgear comes from the 3DS Mii Plaza. Some are visually updated to reflect Smash appearances like Zelda's and Sheik's, but they are still taken from the Plaza.
NONE of the headgear from DLC are selectable in Mii Plaza; they are new to Smash. Not even Link's (Mii Plaza uses Toon Link's design).

Oh, and as an fyi, Mega Man doesn't have a costume (as of yet). Mega Man.exe and X, who are unplayable characters featured in Mega Man's Final Smash, are the ones with costumes.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I really hate when people try to use this point.

While a costume isn't necessarily a disconfirmation for K. Rool, let me ask this: did those costumes of Link and Samus come first, or did the characters come first?
Does it matter?

The point is, a playable character exists along side a Mii costume...Whether or not it comes first makes absolutely no difference in hindsight...K Rool's costume is most likely pre-determined, meaning the addition of the Mii costume had nothing to do with his popularity on the Ballot...same can be said for Chrom and Lloyd Irving who were both obviously topping polls (sarcasm), and Inklings were most likely an easy to make promotion for Splatoon since full-fledged fighters would've taken too long...

K Rool's costume is most likely going to sell, but a playable character will sell also...BUT, If both are going to be added, which one do you think makes more sense to be added first as DLC?

People need to stop jumping to conclusions...

D

Deleted member

Does it matter?
Yes. Yes it does.

K Rool's costume is most likely pre-determined, meaning the addition of the Mii costume had nothing to do with his popularity on the Ballot...same can be said for Chrom and Lloyd Irving who were both obviously topping polls (sarcasm), and Inklings were most likely an easy to make promotion for Splatoon since full-fledged fighters would've taken too long...
Follow your own advice.

K Rool's costume is most likely going to sell, but a playable character will sell also...BUT, If both are going to be added, which one do you think makes more sense to be added first as DLC?
The character.
What kind of question is that?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yes. Yes it does.
If it does then elaborate...because...
The point is, a playable character exists along side a Mii costume...
Follow your own advice.
I'm not jumping to any conclusions...The ballot hasn't even finished yet so it is unreasonable to assume Sakurai's going to start taking characters from there now then not do anything with them afterwards...

The character.
What kind of question is that?
Once again elaborate...
I wonder how many people bought the costume thinking K Rool isn't going to happen otherwise, If the character was added first most of those sales wouldn't have happened (considering most people don't really care for Mii fighters)...
Sakurai isn't stupid, doesn't make the best decisions sometimes *looks at Ridley* but not stupid...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Does it matter?
Nope. The costumes are purely fanservice for the sake of it, nothing more.

The point is, a playable character exists along side a Mii costume...Whether or not it comes first makes absolutely no difference in hindsight...K Rool's costume is most likely pre-determined, meaning the addition of the Mii costume had nothing to do with his popularity on the Ballot...same can be said for Chrom and Lloyd Irving who were both obviously topping polls (sarcasm), and Inklings were most likely an easy to make promotion for Splatoon since full-fledged fighters would've taken too long...
Honestly, all the current Mii Costumes were probably just for the sake of it, as they were all fun characters in video game history that are cool to show off.

The costume. Gives people a taste of things to come. It's also cheaper, and it also gives an idea of what people think of costumes VS full characters. Clearly the costume being first didn't work out in this case. But they had no idea. Characters have to be very notable to sell at this point. Making sure people can recognize them helps. So a costume gives them an idea of the character is so they can do research to see if the full version is worth paying for. The fact people responded horribly was due to severe conclusion jumping, nothing more.

Yes, yes they do. But it'll never happen as people like to think they fully understand the thought process around development, without doing far more critical thinking. Too many assumptions.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

Why do I think that?

Well technically we have a new series by the name of Street Fighter in already.

:4ryu:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the whole Mii Costume deal, I think that "no news is good news". If even a single character was made as a costume because it was discarded as a playable character, Sakurai would have already told us so, like when Chrom was shown as a mere Final Smash helper. There is no way how Sakurai couldn't have noticed the uproar that followed the reveal of the last line of costumes, and the fact he hasn't given any word about what these costumes mean is probably positive for every character that got one.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Regarding the whole Mii Costume deal, I think that "no news is good news". If even a single character was made as a costume because it was discarded as a playable character, Sakurai would have already told us so, like when Chrom was shown as a mere Final Smash helper. There is no way how Sakurai couldn't have noticed the uproar that followed the reveal of the last line of costumes, and the fact he hasn't given any word about what these costumes mean is probably positive for every character that got one.
It's due to how it was with the Inklings. They got a Mii Costume and people went back and forth (including me) over whether this hurts their chances at being playable when really, the Inklings wasn't gonna be a fighter due maybe Nintendo wants to save them for Smash 5/NX.

I do see the thought of Mii Costumes will not hold back a character but certain characters that we expect to get one will. Like Chrom and the other Megamans

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
People who deconfirm characters based on a costume CLEARLY have not learned ANYTHING. As a community, we are the WORST because we always make up assumptions that characters are automatically deconfirmed.

-Mewtwo and Lucas DECONFIRMED because they have trophies in the game. Clearly a character can't be DLC if they have a trophy in the game.
-Lucas and Wolf DECONFIRMED because Ness and Fox took their specials and used them as customs.
-Toon Link DECONFIRMED because you can't have a fighter in the background of the stage at the same time.
-Villager DECONFIRMED because the villagers appear in Smashville.
-Villager DECONFIRMED because Sakurai said Smash is too violent for the series.

-Duck Hunt DECONFIRMED because dogs are not plausible to fight
-Ness DECONFIRMED because Sakurai said "Up unitl now"
-R.O.B. DECONFIRMED because hes already an enemy in SSE. You can't have a fighter and an enemy at the same time.
-All Clones DECONFIRMED because clearly Sakurai wants to get rid of them this time around.
-Little Mac DECONFIRMED because Villagers uses boxing gloves.
-Little Mac DECONFIRMED because the Boxing Ring reveal is generic and not Punch Out Themed.
-Lucario and Ike DECONFIRMED because Sakurai cut Mewtwo and Roy last time, meaning Pokemon and Fire Emblem are "flavor of the month series"
-Roy DECONFIRMED because we already have another Roy in the game, and characters can't share the same name.
-Ryu DECONFIRMED because Sakurai said no fighting game characters.
-Wario DECONFIRMED because Mario always has Wario colors.
-Roy DECONFIRMED because Marth has Roy's colors. DLC can't happen if another character has their colors.
-Mewtwo, Roy and Dr Mario DECONFIRMED because they were already cut once, and characters cant come back.
-Dark Pit DECONFIRMED because he didn't have a newcomer banner at the end of his trailer.
-Bowser Jr DECONFIRMED because a series can't get two new unique reps.
-Rosalina DECONFIRMED because she'd just be a clone of Peach.
-Palutena DECONFIRMED because a statue of her is on her stage.
-Robin DECONFIRMED because only the main characters are playable.
-Miis DECONFIRMED because they are already avatars in online menus.
-Ryu DECONFIRMED because a third party company can't get two reps.
-Wolf and ROY DECONFIRMED because you can't have three characters based around a similar moveset.
-Palutena DECONFIRMED because she was part of Pits Final Smash, and you can't change final smashes
-Little Mac and Charizard DECONFIRMED because they were assist characters and thus they weren't important enough, and characters can't be promoted.
-New Fire Emblem characters DECONFIRMED because the series only warrants two reps.

-Ice Climbers CONFIRMED because characters that appear at least twice are a lock forever.
-Rayman CONFIRMED because third party characters can't have trophies in the game without being playable.
-Sceptile CONFIRMED because Sakurai replaced Squirtle with another water starter, so clearly he is replacing Ivysaur with another grass starter.
-Villager and Tom Nook CONFIRMED because their stage has a logo.
Dixie Kong CONFIRMED because she almost made it last time.
-Krystal CONFIRMED because her voice actress confirmed work on the game.

Original 12 CONFIRMED forever, since clearly they are prioritized and can never almost get the axe.

Question: In “Subspace Emissary, why weren’t Wolf or Jigglypuff involved with the story?

Sakurai: Toon Link is also included in this, but these three characters were really on the brink of being cut.
-Shulk leak is FAKE because he clearly photoshopped Robin
-Shulk leak is FAKE because that blurry image looks like it says DISABLAD
-Roster leak is FAKE because Wario is missing his pupil
-Roster leak is FAKE because Bowser Jr is in a clown car, and clearly characters can't fight in vehicles.

Literally all of you who deconfirm a character because of a costume have learned NOTHING.

As it stands, characters can be fighters and have mii costumes at the same time. If you think a character is instantly out the race because a costume appeared TWO MONTHS before the ballot is even over, you seriously have no grasp on the situation. The costumes are released in waves, meaning they are preplanned and not made over night. Costumes like these were in plannings well before they were released, even well before the ballot started. If we get a character from the ballot, it could be several months before they EVEN DECIDE who is worthy....and even then, it will be MANY MONTHS after that until we see the character released.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If it does then elaborate...because...
Oni said it best.
Because its all about the details that drastically change the situation.
You cannot make a comparison when said comparison doesn't exist.

Link and Samus having costumes never has and never will be a good counterpoint to K. Rool having a costume. I shouldn't have to explain why considering I've explained what makes them different from K. Rool. You either grasp it or you don't.
The only legitimate counter would be if someone who currently has a costume (such as Inkling) is later added as a fighter or if we get a new costume with that character being a fighter later and K. Rool still isn't a fighter at that time.

If K. Rool does end up becoming a fighter beforehand, then he becomes the counterpoint for other costume based characters.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions...The ballot hasn't even finished yet so it is unreasonable to assume Sakurai's going to start taking characters from there now then not do anything with them afterwards...
Out of all possible characters, why K. Rool?
Dunban, Chrom, Flying Man, Isabelle, K.K. Slider, Mega Man.exe, X? Non-playable characters that already had roles to play in Smash 4.
Link and Samus? Already featured in the game as fighters.
Lloyd, Heihachi, Akira, Jacky, Proto Man, Zero? Guest costumes from the three 3rd Party companies that have characters in Smash that are unlikely to be fighters.
Inkling? Promotion for Splatoon.

K. Rool and Black Knight are the only two that have no reasonable explanation, but at least Black Knight wasn't a heavily requested fighter both before Smash 4's release and after.
By jumping to the conclusion that K. Rool's costume was pre-determined, it raises the question in why.

Once again elaborate...
I wonder how many people bought the costume thinking K Rool isn't going to happen otherwise, If the character was added first most of those sales wouldn't have happened (considering most people don't really care for Mii fighters)...
Sakurai isn't stupid, doesn't make the best decisions sometimes *looks at Ridley* but not stupid...
If "most people don't really care for Mii Fighters", then how does it make any sense to try to sell people a K. Rool costume before K. Rool himself, expecting people to care?
You said it yourself, Sakurai isn't stupid.
He also isn't sly enough to try to make profit on people's fears over a character's exclusion, essentially duping them into caring about something they supposedly don't care about then squeezing more money out of them for the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom