• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The problem with certain characters could even lay in the amiibo production. Microsoft is a direct competitor, and making an amiibo for them (while awesome) would print money for a direct competitor. That would be the case for Konami, but they aren't a direct competitor.
Yeah, since Konami isn't in the console industry and they just make software, I can't imagine a Snake amiibo would be even comparable to the assistance to a direct competitor a Banjo amiibo would be. If anything, it may encourage Konami to make a game that utilizes the amiibo, sort of like how IS made Fire Emblem amiibo functionality for Codename: STEAM. I realize IS is basically a Nintendo company unlike Konami, but there could be a better future with Konami games on Nintendo consoles if it encourages amiibo use, and thus sales of both game and an amiibo.

I realize a full game over an amiibo may be a bit of a stretch, but who knows. Konami could just port stuff from other consoles and add amiibo functionality as a Nintendo-exclusive feature or something like that. It would definitely create incentive to purchase the games, as I'm sure a Snake amiibo would sell like crazy.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
A story mode would be horribly counter-productive for effort or cost as it's one of the largest time sinks into Brawl.
Break the targets is something people in general miss and would be a neat bonus for say a $5 thing you pay for that someone just strung up in their spare time.
Offline Tournament mode.... I don't know.
Not necessarily. Subspace Emissary took up a lot of time in part due to all of the cinematics. I assume that when most people say "Story" Mode, they really mean an "Adventure Mode 3" (the SSE being Adventure Mode 2, obviously); most of us wouldn't be asking for cutscenes at this point, since as we know that's what the character reveal trailers were for. Plus, if they decided to make something akin to this, it wouldn't have to be as long as the SSE was.

I myself am holding out for additional single-player content through DLC, because everything else is just so lacking. Especially in comparison to Brawl which had the best single-player content in the series. It's just a hope, though.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not necessarily. Subspace Emissary took up a lot of time in part due to all of the cinematics. I assume that when most people say "Story" Mode, they really mean an "Adventure Mode 3" (the SSE being Adventure Mode 2, obviously); most of us wouldn't be asking for cutscenes at this point, since as we know that's what the character reveal trailers were for. Plus, if they decided to make something akin to this, it wouldn't have to be as long as the SSE was.

I myself am holding out for additional single-player content through DLC, because everything else is just so lacking. Especially in comparison to Brawl which managed overall content the best out of the series. It's just a hope, though.
I went to the negative, without clarification. The distinction between "Adventure mode" and "Story" is fairly thick to me, the latter leaning to the side of SSE.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, it's weird that they would have a private video up now, or why have it in the first place. Maybe there will be a direct soon.
Even though that specific video was debunked, the fact that they were updating the Youtube at all is a surprise. They may very well have something planned and they were just managing the videos in preparation for that.

I went to the negative, without clarification. The distinction between "Adventure mode" and "Story" is fairly thick to me, the latter leaning to the side of SSE.
The funny thing is that "Adventure Mode" applies perfectly well to both.

Personally, I'd like to see something that's kind of a cross between Adventure Mode (Melee) and SSE. It'd be Adventure Mode closer to Melee, but I'd like to see additional platforming segments, perhaps a single segment based on the franchise the character belongs to, and ending by fighting that character's main foe (or a similar related character) instead of just Bowser every time in Melee.

This could add new bosses where applicable and make existing bosses into proper boss battles (Ridley for Samus/ZSS, maybe Andross for Star Fox).

Naturally, this would also allow us to see the enemy characters that appear in Smash Run.

Not a full-fledged Story Mode, but something with a tad bit more substance than Melee.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Even though that specific video was debunked, the fact that they were updating the Youtube at all is a surprise. They may very well have something planned and they were just managing the videos in preparation for that.

The funny thing is that "Adventure Mode" applies perfectly well to both.

Personally, I'd like to see something that's kind of a cross between Adventure Mode (Melee) and SSE. It'd be Adventure Mode closer to Melee, but I'd like to see additional platforming segments, perhaps a single segment based on the franchise the character belongs to, and ending by fighting that character's main foe (or a similar related character) instead of just Bowser every time in Melee.

This could add new bosses where applicable and make existing bosses into proper boss battles (Ridley for Samus/ZSS, maybe Andross for Star Fox).

Naturally, this would also allow us to see the enemy characters that appear in Smash Run.

Not a full-fledged Story Mode, but something with a tad bit more substance than Melee.
I'd be totally in for that.
Granted that mode by itself could easily end up charging a fair bit.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
If I were making a smash game, I'd include a story mode that is light on dev time by telling the stories through event matches interspersed with FE style dialogue.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Did you watch treehouse of E3 14? They showed the game so much that I decided not to buy it. The TH showed me how repetitive and boring it was by showing over an hour of it at E3.
Terrible, terrible E3. Its clear that Nintendo has all but jumped ship on the Wii U. They'd better hope the NX does better.

As for a story mode, I think something like the SSE could work if it wasn't so needlessly melodramatic and had familiar Nintendo characters and locations. Make the story something simple, like the villains (You know, all three of them with some non-playable ones like Eggman or Ghirahim) teaming up to try and rule...Smash World or whatever, and everyone else heads out to stop them, meeting each other and teaming up. Along the way, there'd be familiar boss fights with larger characters (Petey Piranha, Kraid, Krow, Biolizard etc.) as well as an enemy selection similar to that of Smash Run. There could be scenarios where you fight a large group of enemies or a playable villain with a permanent Assist Trophy of a villain team member assailing you to give the non-playable villains something to do besides plot. Finally, this all takes place across areas like the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Brinstar, or DK Island instead of just generic locales.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

So this is a roster of gaming icons I threw together. Notice where a lot of these choices come from. By gaming icons, I refer to characters that any gamer could recognize. Not to mention there are others around that would also be considered.

So who gets eliminated from this list? That would be...Master Chief, Nathan Drake, Kratos, Marcus Fenix, Gordon Freeman, Niko Bellic and Sackboy. The rest? Depends. Duke Nukem probably wouldn't happen, nor would Tetris blocks. Banjo is in limbo with Microsoft, technically Ezio has never appeared on a Nintendo console, Lara Croft didn't originate from a video game...

So we have left: Mario, Link, DK, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, Snake, Ryu, Kirby, Luigi, Bomberman, Cloud, Crash, Spyro, Commander Shepard, Heihachi, Simon Belmont, Scorpion, Rayman, Black Mage, Leon... and I think Minecraft Steve? I think that's it.

There's some interesting results here. Clearly, some of these characters might have better perceived chances than others. There's more filters to put these characters through, but these are "icons". Plenty of characters brought up here don't necessarily...stack up.

Granted, for all I know, some of these characters could get shot down by Sakurai. I don't mean to speak for him. But these are just some prospects. Even then, plenty of these games have hardly made an "impact". Just some food for thought.
Wait, what do you mean Lara Croft didn't originate from a video game? Ezio actually has been on a Nintendo system, Assassins Creed II was on the DS. Oh, and Commander Shepard and Steve never appeared on a Nintendo system, in fact Minecraft is now owned by Microsoft.

Last edited:

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Those characters are still skins of the blank model of Steve, also I doubt such an iconic character wouldn't make it in somehow (Although, did TellTale put Rick Grimes in the TellTale Walking Dead games? Idk)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Might as well leave this here.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Those characters are still skins of the blank model of Steve, also I doubt such an iconic character wouldn't make it in somehow (Although, did TellTale put Rick Grimes in the TellTale Walking Dead games? Idk)
No, Glenn and Hershal had cameos though.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Maybe they could pull what almost happened with Heihachi, and add in the Creeper instead of Steve.
Also ROGER YOU SLICK DOG YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT: HOW IS THIS NOT GETTING PUBLICITY IN THIS THREAD

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
HOLY CRAP. TOO MANY PAGES TO GO THROUGH. JEEZ.

Anyway, yeah, while everyone is talking about what characters could be for DLC, Dark Pit sheananigans, Chibi Robo's deal, importance of gaming history and 'WHO'S SHOVEL KNIGHT...?'

I'm just here, waiting for any possible new game mode to be added to the game, after Sakurai said HIMSELF that he's looking to put new modes into it.

:bowser:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Anyway, yeah, while everyone is talking about what characters could be for DLC, Dark Pit sheananigans, Chibi Robo's deal, importance of gaming history and 'WHO'S SHOVEL KNIGHT...?'

I'm just here, waiting for any possible new game mode to be added to the game, after Sakurai said HIMSELF that he's looking to put new modes into it.

Do you have a proper source for that? I don't remember it.

here is a source
http://nintendonews.com/2015/04/super-smash-bros-dlc-modes-sakurai/
Given the different types of content we’re producing, it wouldn’t be surprising for the planning of one item to coincide with the development, balancing, and finalization of several others. We also have version updates, online features, and additional modes to worry about. It can be quite overwhelming, but it’s all about making players happy.
however this was before Tournament mode was released so he very well could have been referring to that.

EDIT dammit kalimdori appearing out of nowhere JUST to greninja me. . .

btw im playing Other M, the game you reviewed. fun times. (not sarcasm)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
here is a source

however this was before Tournament mode was released so he very well could have been referring to that.

EDIT dammit kalimdori appearing out of nowhere JUST to greninja me. . .

btw im playing Other M, the game you reviewed. fun times. (not sarcasm)
I genuinely enjoy Other M more than Prime 2 or 3.

I also like Skyward Sword more than Majora or Twilight Princess.

Come at me, elitists.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Kalimdori Kalimdori Already answer that for me, props dude. But yeah, I was talking about that article, in fact. Even if it was pre-tourny mode I'd like to see other modes added to
the game itself, and could be a nice treat aside from characters alone. A Proper Target Smash mode, an Adventure-esque mode, etc could be nice.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Reading all the Shovel Knight comments...man does it feel like i'm the only one who wants to genuinely see him.
No, I'm with you- I think he'd be a great addition to the roster. I love so much about his character, and he encompasses so much of that good retro Nintendo feel. Plus, I really badly want to hear the game's music in Smash.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Etika tweeted at Roger with an image from Nintendo's SMASH YT page. It has a private video.

Roger said the news should be public in the next few weeks.
Uhh..
That wasn't Etika, it was a parody account.
The private video was shown to be an old Smash Bros. commercial.
Rogers information has nothing to do with that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

This was before Tournament Mode was finished though, he may have just been referring to that
Yeah, but we already knew about Tournament Mode. Sorry, I disagree, I do think he meant new modes all-together. Besides, he said MODES, not "a game mode." Wouldn't it be great to have new game modes released alongside new characters for the 1-year anniversary? (Also to help sell more copies of the game.)

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I liked Smash Tour V_V. Screw its challenges with a rake though. RNG as frick without other players.

Honestly with the Mario Maker stage out of freaking nowhere I could see a new mode popping out of nowhere at some point.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I genuinely enjoy Other M more than Prime 3.
We aren't friends anymore
Maybe they could pull what almost happened with Heihachi, and add in the Creeper instead of Steve.
Also ROGER YOU SLICK DOG YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT: HOW IS THIS NOT GETTING PUBLICITY IN THIS THREAD
Because it most likely isn't Smash

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Disney owns Sora
I know. I actually find that somewhat interesting too. Assuming Disney and Square play nice and something happened to let him in, would it act as a proxy to see more of Disney's video game affairs eligible for some nods through him?

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Don't know if this has been discussed, but apparently the official Smash Bros page on youtube has a private video uploaded

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Don't know if this has been discussed, but apparently the official Smash Bros page on youtube has a private video uploaded
We've been discussing, and debunking, the fact that this is anything meaningful. Its only a 2014 ad for the game and isn't anything new or special.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Just something I'd like to point out, Japanese doesn't have plurals, and since the article was translated before the tournament mode was revealed, he could have been referring to that only.

Though I would much rather get more modes *cough cough* target test and board the platforms *cough cough*

Last edited:

So this is a roster of gaming icons I threw together. Notice where a lot of these choices come from. By gaming icons, I refer to characters that any gamer could recognize. Not to mention there are others around that would also be considered.

So who gets eliminated from this list? That would be...Master Chief, Nathan Drake, Kratos, Marcus Fenix, Gordon Freeman, Niko Bellic and Sackboy. The rest? Depends. Duke Nukem probably wouldn't happen, nor would Tetris blocks. Banjo is in limbo with Microsoft, technically Ezio has never appeared on a Nintendo console, Lara Croft didn't originate from a video game...

So we have left: Mario, Link, DK, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, Snake, Ryu, Kirby, Luigi, Bomberman, Cloud, Crash, Spyro, Commander Shepard, Heihachi, Simon Belmont, Scorpion, Rayman, Black Mage, Leon... and I think Minecraft Steve? I think that's it.

There's some interesting results here. Clearly, some of these characters might have better perceived chances than others. There's more filters to put these characters through, but these are "icons". Plenty of characters brought up here don't necessarily...stack up.

Granted, for all I know, some of these characters could get shot down by Sakurai. I don't mean to speak for him. But these are just some prospects. Even then, plenty of these games have hardly made an "impact". Just some food for thought.
A little off-topic, but I think it's sad that Jak (& Daxter) is the only notable Naughty Dog protagonist (not counting Last of Us, since it's protagonists are too recent to be called gaming icons yet) that doesn't count as gaming icon...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If I had to make an Adventure mode, it'd be a cross between Melee's one and Smash Run. And few short CGs at the end of levels.

That, imo, is the perfect mix.

:231:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom