• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the same ******* that said we weren't gonna get more than two 3rd parties for Smash 4.

Let that sink in.

Smooth Criminal
So because I made a wrong prediction that magically makes Shovel Knight a worthy character for Smash?? How does that even make sense?

The Mighty Smashchu

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the same that said we weren't gonna get more than two 3rd parties for Smash 4.

Let that sink in.

Smooth Criminal
Let's not take shots at people.

Shovel Knight is a terrible choice. Indie characters have no place in Smash.

The Great Smashchu
If an Indie Character is a good character, and is family friendly (or has the possibility to be family freindly, then it has a place in smash. I don't care if a character was made by Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, Namco, Wayforward, Yacht Club, Microsoft, Sony or even NC Soft! As long as the character has a unique moveset, and is an awesome character in his/her/its own game. It works in smash. To me, companies are only a hurdle a character has to jump, not what decides eligibility.

Let me put it this way. If Shovel Knight was made by Nintendo, would you be so adamant on him not being in smash?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Shovel Knight is a terrible choice. Indie characters have no place in Smash.

The Great Smashchu
So? There's a place for any character as long as they follow the standards Sakurai placed. Shovel Knight isn't a bad choice just because he's not made by some huge dev. Even then, consider that this game isn't just a indie game, it's gotten HUGE. Name any other indie game that's getting physical releases, merchandise, NFC figures, free DLC, 10/10 reviews, and cameo appearances like Shovel Knight has. Commander Video may be the Mario of indies, but Shovel Knight is the Sonic.

Shovel Knight isn't bad because he's indie, he's eh because he has little to offer that other characters lack. Step off your "third-parties and indies suck" throne, because like it or not, a huge percent will want them.

-APC

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Let's not take shots at people.

If an Indie Character is a good character, and is family friendly (or has the possibility to be family freindly, then it has a place in smash. I don't care if a character was made by Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, Namco, Wayforward, Yacht Club, Microsoft, Sony or even NC Soft! As long as the character has a unique moveset, and is an awesome character in his/her/its own game. It works in smash. To me, companies are only a hurdle a character has to jump, not what decides eligibility.

Let me put it this way. If Shovel Knight was made by Nintendo, would you be so adamant on him not being in smash?
So? There's a place for any character as long as they follow the standards Sakurai placed. Shovel Knight isn't a bad choice just because he's not made by some huge dev. Even then, consider that this game isn't just a indie game, it's gotten HUGE. Name any other indie game that's getting physical releases, merchandise, NFC figures, free DLC, 10/10 reviews, and cameo appearances like Shovel Knight has. Commander Video may be the Mario of indies, but Shovel Knight is the Sonic.

Shovel Knight isn't bad because he's indie, he's eh because he has little to offer that other characters lack. Step off your "third-parties and indies suck" throne, because like it or not, a huge percent will want them.
The fact of the matter is the company ABSOLUTELY matters what characters get in because Super Smash Brothers is a celebration of Nintendo. The current third party characters work because of their longevity and they (usually) have a strong relation to Nintendo. The reason fans have been fine with the characters included is they have these qualities. Why did fans ask for Sonic? Because he was seen as Mario's "rival." Why does Megaman work? Because fans associate Megaman with Nintendo, despite Megaman games being on competitors consoles. Why does Ryu work? Because Street Fighter 2's console debut was almost exclusively Nintendo (it should be no surprise that Street Fighter 2 was the style Sakurai was emulating which he specifically says in the "New Content Approaching."). Pac-Man, while not specifically Nintendo, at least has the longevity factor, and was more a result of Namco Bandia making the game.

Super Smash Brothers is not celebrating gaming. Its celebrating Nintendo. But fans have forgotten this obvious fact because they want their dream roster. They want to see any and every character in there even if it ultimatly doesn't work. This is nothing new because people have asked for Mickey Mouse, Goku and the like before. But now fans assume any character should be added. You can't add tons of outside characters and think the game will work. Assuming you can add anyone and that Smash Brothers should do that will result in a soulless roster. It wont have meaning because it wont have have a parameters for the characters in the game. No longer will the game be about something and more and more the characters will begin to clash with each other. Not to mention the legal mess it causes. Smash Bros works because it is focused and that give the game soul.

So you ask if I would be fine with Shovel Knight were he a Nintendo character. I would say yes because Super Smash Brothers is a Nintendo fighting game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Ryu are characters from other companies. So are Snake, Shovel Knight and Rayman.

Each of them to some extent have an amazing impact on gaming. If you stick to guest characters that ONLY have some sort of connection to Nintendo, you're going to have a major drop in quality of 3rd parties.

Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu and Snake have had monumental impacts on the gaming industry. Each of those series have been around for decades. Mario, Metal Gear and Street Fighter still churn out great installments to this day. Not to use that against Sonic or Mega Man, but the others series have provided amazing things for the gaming industry and continue to do so.

3rd Parties are not Nintendo characters, and frankly should not be held to the same standards. The only requirement, which was STATED BT SAKURAI HIMSELF, is that they've APPEARED ON A NINTENDO CONSOLE. ONCE. NOT 16 TIMES. ONCE.

Nothing against fans of Professor Layton or smaller characters, but I would rather have a character with a lot of legacy to the industry and fits the "All-Star" moniker better than a 3rd party who fits into the "Nintendo" category. That doesn't mean they couldn't be a character. But Solid Snake is leagues ahead of quite a few characters...not to mention he's been in Smash already.

Shovel Knight...yeah, he's new. He doesn't really have an established legacy. However, he's become famous and recognizable. That really can't be denied. Otherwise, why would he have skyrocketed through the ballot and had a ton of hype from the supposed leak? Is he as deserving as others? Not necessarily. Would he be bad? I don't think so. It's a subjective choice.

I might think that Sheriff is a bad choice. Doesn't mean he is to everybody.

Also, SmashChu SmashChu I noticed out of nowhere that you happened to start copying Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal with his signature at the end of each post. Not really sure why you decided to do that...but I can't help but feel as if that's a jab. Just an observation.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
So you ask if I would be fine with Shovel Knight were he a Nintendo character. I would say yes because Super Smash Brothers is a Nintendo fighting game.
Agreed with everything you said (and is thus the reason why I'm not big on any indie third-parties) except for that last part. Shovel Knight is probably one of the most Nintendeqsue third-party characters out there at the moment. His game is styled after something on the NES, and he was originally exclusive to Wii U and 3DS (alongside Steam) before coming out on Xbox and PlayStation months later.

Not to say he's a Nintendo character, but that like Mega Man, he fits in as a Nintendo-type character.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
The fact of the matter is the company ABSOLUTELY matters what characters get in because Super Smash Brothers is a celebration of Nintendo. The current third party characters work because of their longevity and they (usually) have a strong relation to Nintendo. The reason fans have been fine with the characters included is they have these qualities. Why did fans ask for Sonic? Because he was seen as Mario's "rival." Why does Megaman work? Because fans associate Megaman with Nintendo, despite Megaman games being on competitors consoles. Why does Ryu work? Because Street Fighter 2's console debut was almost exclusively Nintendo (it should be no surprise that Street Fighter 2 was the style Sakurai was emulating which he specifically says in the "New Content Approaching."). Pac-Man, while not specifically Nintendo, at least has the longevity factor, and was more a result of Namco Bandia making the game.

Super Smash Brothers is not celebrating gaming. Its celebrating Nintendo. But fans have forgotten this obvious fact because they want their dream roster. They want to see any and every character in there even if it ultimatly doesn't work. This is nothing new because people have asked for Mickey Mouse, Goku and the like before. But now fans assume any character should be added. You can't add tons of outside characters and think the game will work. Assuming you can add anyone and that Smash Brothers should do that will result in a soulless roster. It wont have meaning because it wont have have a parameters for the characters in the game. No longer will the game be about something and more and more the characters will begin to clash with each other. Not to mention the legal mess it causes. Smash Bros works because it is focused and that give the game soul.

The point was that Shovel Knight isn't some random indie character, he's a huge indie icon who's started out as a Nintendo exclusive, before moving to other consoles and getting even more popular, almost like both of the Capcom boys.

It's not a matter of "dreaming". Shovel Knight has more reasons to be in Smash than, say, Master Chief or Lara Croft, two iconic video game characters. He started with Nintendo, has roots from Nintendo (the game isn't exactly something Sony and Microsoft make or promote) and is extremely popular. He's a new IP making an impact on gaming, and what do you know, he doesn't stray too far from the Wii U and 3DS. That's what decides the limited amount of third-parties: Are they icons who aren't just some has-been? Are they still important today? Have they been with Nintendo enough for it not to be super left-wing? So far, all third parties fit that. Shovel Knight has beaten the "indie" stereotype and rose to stardom within the community.He's still very young, however, and doesn't have the same legacy as the others yet, but the point is he has the potential to. That's the problem with characters like Geno or (dare I say) anyone from Rare, they don't seem as likely to continue appearing in other games, they're fairly dead. This is coming from a guy who would probably lose control of his rectum if Banjo and Kazooie got into Smash.

Tl;dr: Shovel Knight's got potential to be a huge star in gaming. He just overlaps with Nintendo enough to be in the realm of possibility. Yadda yadda yadda, he's just lacking in moveset potential, jet fuel can't melt steel beams, etc. etc.

D

Deleted member

I really don't understand why some people hate 3rd parties so much. I understand everyone having different tastes, but do they really need to be so aggressive about it?

This may break the heart of some people, but i would prefer some 3rd parties like Simon Belmont and Bomberman over tons of obscure Nintendo characters just because they are Nintendo.

It's true that Smash Bros is a Nintendo game, but remember guys, it's a GAME. If you don't enjoy it, then why **** are you even talking about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

You forget that the main objective of this game, of any game, is to be fun for everyone. Obviously Shovel Knight is not going to make the game any less fun, as you say it would be fine if he was a Nintendo character. The company behind the game does not change the character, nor does the series, or any other arbitrary reason for not wanting a character.
My point is, when it all boils down to it, you should want a character because you like the character, or think it would be a great addition to the roster. The reason for not wanting a character? Well, not liking that character of course.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I agree with Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones I think a character should be a gaming icon in some form.

Do I think Shovel Knight is a bad choice? Like Scoliosis said not at all, but he's brand new and only popular in America and Europe so he isn't likely to begin with.

BUT I also agree with SmashChu SmashChu . This is a celebration of Nintendo. No character without a decent background on Nintendo consoles should be allowed. The one game thing makes everyone hopeful but I don't think it's a set standard. Snake is the dead minimum of how relevant a character should be on Nintendo platforms in my opinion.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Honestly, I don't really get why there's so much negativity. "THIS CHARACTER CAN'T HAPPEN. BAD CHOICE. FEEL BAD FOR IT." What?

You know, I don't agree with every choice brought up. However, I'm not the authority on what good and bad ideas are. Nobody here is. We're all a bunch of mooks on the internet talking about a video game. Good times, good times.

I love Smash as much as the next guy, but why do people get so cutthroat about it? It's like it's a matter of life and death.

I would argue that on the topic of 3rd parties...Smash isn't JUST about Nintendo anymore. It's not about Sony or Microsoft, but it's not just Nintendo. Mega Man and Ryu are Capcom. Sonic is SEGA. Pac-Man is Namco. The reason THEY got in is likely because they're GAMING ICONS.

Of course, we could go on making up reasons like we know exactly why certain characters got added. But the fact of the matter is, the one thing that is currently consistent with all the 3rd Parties we currently have, is that they're all gaming legends. They've created most of their legacy (except for Mega Man) on multiple consoles, not just Nintendo consoles. If they hadn't created their legacy elsewhere, they wouldn't be where they are in the industry. Nintendo didn't make Sonic who he is. SEGA did. Pac-Man didn't make his name on the NES. SF2 may be an important game in the history of Street Fighter, but if Street Fighter bombed afterward on other consoles, we probably wouldn't have had Ryu in the first place.

Are we assuming that Nintendo fans who play Smash only play Nintendo games and aren't interested in other characters? Why is it suddenly bad to want a character who maybe hasn't shown up as much on Nintendo consoles? Are they popular? Do they offer something new? If the answer is yes, what's the problem? Let's talk about it.

Smash speculation is filled with people who think they've got all the answers, and that takes some fun out of it imo. Of course I'm sure people think that of me. I simply post what I think.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones

Sakurai said quite clearly in the developer direct after e3 2014 he wasn't letting just anyone into smash bros. Which means a character has to be special in some form.

As for impact, here are the synonyms for the word:
effect, influence, significance, meaning; consequences, repercussions, ramifications, reverberations.

Now, I think we both believe that a character who is legendary is one with impact correct?

If thats the case, then we need to understand that the character has changed something in the industry.

Sonic. Was rivals with Mario. Was strongly tied with console wars which was huge for the gaming industry because it was a major deciding factor on which console to buy.

Snake: Stealth genere.

Megaman: Is essentially the face of 8-bit. When people think back on retro games, mega man is what is usually thought of. Really pushed the 8bit graphics and 8bit sound.

Ryu: Revolutionized fighting games and made the standards we see today.

Pac-man: One of the most recognizable face in gaming.

So that leaves us with Shovel Knight. True, I'm pretty sure Shovel Knight has inspired people, but is it noticeable right now? Thats why I want to wait a couple of years. To see the effects before we come to a decision of how much of an impact Shovel Knight had.

Lastly, the big important question is why do we need him? There a plenty of Nintendo characters with bright and beautiful movesets just waiting to be unearthed. So why Shovel Knight?
I really don't understand why some people hate 3rd parties so much. I understand everyone having different tastes, but do they really need to be so aggressive about it?

This may break the heart of some people, but i would prefer some 3rd parties like Simon Belmont and Bomberman over tons of obscure Nintendo characters just because they are Nintendo.

It's true that Smash Bros is a Nintendo game, but remember guys, it's a GAME. If you don't enjoy it, then why **** are you even talking about it?
I'm pretty sure people would also rather see Freddy, Steve from Minecraft and Goku as well over obscure Nintendo characters.

Now, Shovel Knight is certainly a far far better choice than those 3 ever will be, but the point isn't that people hate 3rd parties, (I don't think that many people actually do), rather, there needs to be a line drawn somewhere.

D

Deleted member

The reason i wanted to speculate on Sm4sh was because i wanted to do something that could entrertain me while i waited for the game to be released. I speculate on Sm4sh DLC because of that same reason. I speculate to do something while i wait for the DLC to be released.

Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
I'm pretty sure people would also rather see Freddy, Steve from Minecraft and Goku as well over obscure Nintendo characters.

Now, Shovel Knight is certainly a far far better choice than those 3 ever will be, but the point isn't that people hate 3rd parties, (I don't think that many people actually do), rather, there needs to be a line drawn somewhere.
I understand that people don't want lots of 3rd parties in this game, but people are acting as if this was Lavos's second coming or something.

Second, the 3rd parties you pointed are completely different to the ones i mentioned.

Freddy Fazbear and Goku are only requests done by people who don't know how the ballot works (1.YOU MUST BE A VIDEO GAME CHARACTER, which means Goku is out of the question and 2.THAT IF THE CHARACTER IS 3RD PARTY IT MUST HAVE APPEARED ON A NINTENDO CONSOLE, which leaves Freddy and Steve out)

Now, i must ask you, do Freddy and Steve even have a game on Nintendo?

Keep in mind Sakurai said that you only NEED TO HAVE 1 GAME ON NINTENDO TO BE CONSIDERED.ONLY 1.

And the fact that you compared Shovel Knight to an ANIME CHARACTER is just ridiculous. ¿Why are comparing them? ¿because people want them? ¿do you realize the differences between them?

Shovel Knight might oppen more bad floodgates than good ones, but please compare him to someone more reasonable like Shantae, NOT Goku. I don't want Shovel Knight, but comparing him to THOSE characters is just silly

And yes i have seen a fair amount of people complaining about all these 3rd parties. You will be surprise on how many people were angry with Pac-Man before his confirmation or Ryu when the sound files were leaked.

Smash will stop adding 3rd parties when Sakurai says so, NOT when the fanboys become angry.

EDIT: Sorry if i sound mad, im just tired of people acting as if SK was something really that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The reason i wanted to speculate on Sm4sh was because i wanted to do something that could entrertain me while i waited for the game to be released. I speculate on Sm4sh DLC because of that same reason. I speculate to do something while i wait for the DLC to be released.

I understand that people don't want lots of 3rd parties in this game, but people are acting as if this was Lavos's second coming or something.

Second, the 3rd parties you pointed are completely different to the ones i mentioned.

Freddy Fazbear and Goku are only requests done by people who don't know how the ballot works (1.YOU MUST BE A VIDEO GAME CHARACTER, which means Goku is out of the question and 2.THAT IF THE CHARACTER IS 3RD PARTY IT MUST HAVE APPEARED ON A NINTENDO CONSOLE, which leaves Freddy and Steve out)

Now, i must ask you, do Freddy and Steve even have a game on Nintendo?

Keep in mind Sakurai said that you only NEED TO HAVE 1 GAME ON NINTENDO TO BE CONSIDERED.ONLY 1.

And the fact that you compared Shovel Knight to an ANIME CHARACTER is just ridiculous. ¿Why are comparing them? ¿because people want them? ¿do you realize the differences between them?

Shovel Knight might oppen more bad floodgates than good ones, but please compare him to someone more reasonable like Shantae, NOT Goku. I don't want Shovel Knight, but comparing him to THOSE characters is just silly

And yes i have seen a fair amount of people complaining about all these 3rd parties. You will be surprise on how many people were angry with Pac-Man before his confirmation or Ryu when the sound files were leaked.

Smash will stop adding 3rd parties when Sakurai says so, NOT when the fanboys become angry.
I was using those characters as an extreme example to show characters that clearly people think shouldn't be in the game at all.

The problem with using Shantae as an example is that people think she can still be in smash, which ruins the point.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
My opinion is if the 3rd party has had history with Nintendo, history with video games in general, or both, then they are deserving of being next to Nintendo all stars. All the 3rd parties so far have been this. I guess this is why I'm not fazed by the idea of Shovel Knight, Professor Latyton, Rayman, Bomberman, and the like: They were a part of Nintendo history and also gaming, and I think that's enough to warrant a spot.

Sakurai most likely thinks otherwise though, so I can't say my opinion is actually correct. At this point, I want to see the newcomers, be happy, and be done with it. This DLC speculation has caused many debates and discussion, but that's not to say it's never happened before DLC was announced. It just gets tiring trying to argue a Character's chance now to me personally.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Well, Quote's in 74, could be worse.

Wolf is definitely coming back with poll rankings like this. I'm not sure if I really want the Inklings in Smash 4, but I guess they are pretty fitting for the game.
And I suppose the Ice Climber votes are going to be considered null and void if Nintendo can't find a way to get them to work on the 3DS, right?

Overall, the top 10 looks pretty good. I'm surprised Rayman and Shantae are below Bomberman though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Shovel Knight isn't that special though.

Sure he's extremely popular, but I don't see Sakurai acknowledging him as a Nintendo All-Star at this stage. He's a kid compared to Ryu, Snake, Mega Man, Sonic, and PAC-MAN.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Shovel Knight isn't that special though.

Sure he's extremely popular, but I don't see Sakurai acknowledging him as a Nintendo All-Star at this stage. He's a kid compared to Ryu, Snake, Mega Man, Sonic,PAC-MAN. and Layton, and Phoenix Wright, and Shantae, and Haruka Amami, and essentially any third party that has some time of relevance in Japan.

I don't want Shovel Knight at all to be honest, especially with so many better choices for a 3rd party.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You forget that the main objective of this game, of any game, is to be fun for everyone. Obviously Shovel Knight is not going to make the game any less fun, as you say it would be fine if he was a Nintendo character. The company behind the game does not change the character, nor does the series, or any other arbitrary reason for not wanting a character.
My point is, when it all boils down to it, you should want a character because you like the character, or think it would be a great addition to the roster. The reason for not wanting a character? Well, not liking that character of course.
The character does change when the company changes, if that company is Nintendo. Again, Smash is about celebrating Nintendo. That is what makes Smash "Smash."Adding a ton of third party characters moves further and further from this because, even if they have a relation with Nintendo, they are not Nintendo and are not as much a part of their history. If Shovel Knight was owned by Nintendo, he would be a part of their history.

Fun is objective, but fans had fun with Smash 64 and Melee when there was no third party characters. If third parties were gone, I think fans would eventually be fine.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
I think one of the big problems is that the roster, it seems, is getting more and more advertisement driven.

Compare the newcomers of Brawl compared to For.

:diddy::dedede::metaknight::pt::wario::wolf::zerosuitsamus: - "Eternal" characters, they had existed before Melee and had made many continuous appearances after their debt , and thus make an extreme amount of sense that need little to no justification.

:pit::rob: - "Retro" characters that existed even before Smash started. They were remembered nostalgically, kept the feeling that the game was a big crossover by adding folks people had nearly forgotten about, and in general can be seen as picks based on the qualities of the characters above all.

Note that if you discount the third parties, (and counting Trainer as a whole instead of each Pokemon individually), we're already over half way past the number of newcomers, talking 9/14ths. In fact, we're already over 2/3rds over!

Of the remaining characters, (:toonlink::ike::lucas::olimar::lucario:), the characters (:lucas::lucario:) didn't appear until 2 years before Brawl's 2008 in 2006, and that was last generation of consoles, with :ike: close in 2005. :toonlink: was 2002, and :olimar: was 2001.

Most of the characters were fairly old by video game standards, so the roster felt more "timeless." The three newest characters were from pre-established franchises already, the rest being over half a decade old. :lucas: was the definitive closing act and was already planed in Melee before being delayed. :ike: already had his second game, something only previously done with the other FE lord, :marth:, so there was a clear and important theme going on. This leaves :lucario: something of the odd man out, though given he was easily the most popular 'mon of the most recent gen AND being the only one not to be from gen I, he served as a decent reminder that there are still new likable 'mon being made.

Compare the numbers using the same restrictions to For's roster, and there are clearly much more emphasis on more recent appearances, despite their being a still-large collection of characters left. Only 5 characters (:4villager::4palutena::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4bowserjr:) were pre-Wii era, of which two (:4palutena::4littlemac:) were recently revived. It's a lot easier to see the advertiser's hands in this game, especially because we have word that when development started, one character (:4greninja:) was chosen based on concept art alone, as the game they debted in wasn't even released yet! Counting the different Mii classes as one and again leaving third parties out, only 5/13 are really old, or about 38% of newcomers, or discounting the ones coming in from revivals, only 3/13, or less than quarter! Or, heck, look at the Pokeball selection. Allot of older Pokemon were replaced by the newer folks, many of which act identical to the old ones.

While smash always had a bit of a promotional edge to it, For took it to new heights. Admittedly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if people are starting to feel as if it's less than a celebration, and more of a glorified advertisement. Many fans are starting to feel the cooperation's grip, and it's chocking out the older characters for franchises yet to be introduced and fans of the older ones who may be getting the shaft just because they aren't "advertisable" enough. That's why fans are starting to get more worried and defensive about spots, as now it's really starting to feel like there is a timer, "now or never," mentality.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
While smash always had a bit of a promotional edge to it, For took it to new heights. Admittedly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if people are starting to feel as if it's less than a celebration, and more of a glorified advertisement. Many fans are starting to feel the cooperation's grip, and it's chocking out the older characters for franchises yet to be introduced and fans of the older ones who may be getting the shaft just because they aren't "advertisable" enough. That's why fans are starting to get more worried and defensive about spots, as now it's really starting to feel like there is a timer, "now or never," mentality.
That's pretty much how I feel when it comes to both Midna and Dark Samus as of now, their best opportunity was in Brawl when their relevancy was at it's peak, and they only got trophies. For this game, sure, they've been upgraded to Assist Trophies but personally that's not good enough especially since the way Zelda cycles through characters not named Link, Zelda and Ganon (and Impa or Tingle) and Dark Samus's seemingly non-existent future, I may never get the chance to play as them later on...Smash 5 will probably come around and chances are either no-one will care about either of them due to Nintendo not bothering to do anything with their fandoms or I may not even be playing video games by then to be interested...

Not that I'm saying certain characters shouldn't get in due to 'taking up spots' but seeing some of the top picks out there (discounting veterans) my interests and expectations are not very high at the moment...

As a Zelda and a Metroid fan it'd be nice to have something to look forward to...that's all I have to say....Perhaps they can start by actually giving us a new character, period, because I can play For Glory for so long before my interest in Smash declines completely...Mario Maker Stage is cool but not really hype worthy at all for me...

ralph458

Smash Cadet
NNID
larosawiiu
Here's My idea.

Bowser's Troops (BEWARE! LOTS OF DETAIL). 5 of Bowser's main troops: Goomba; Koopa Troopa; Lakitu throwing Spinies in Ball form; and Magikoopa, All on screen at once (Except Spinies). Magikoopa is the main man and the rest are under his command. Magikoopa has the Neutral attacks, Neutral Special and a few aerials using his wand, the orb being the sweet-spot.

Regular Attacks

Neutral Attack: Magikoopa Smacks with his wand twice then does a "magic flurry"
Down Tilt: Similar To Peach and Falco's: meteors opponent with a wand sweep if sweet-spotted or knocks them behind the wand if sour-spotted.
Side Tilt: Casts a very short range Magic Spell
Up Tilt: Lobs opponent upwards with wand. Can juggle.

Aerials

Neutral Air: All the Troops extend their arms and legs (Except Goomba, but he is still part of the attack) on all four sides. Most damage and knock-back at the start.
Down Air: Magikoopa strikes downwards with his wand. Meteors opponent if sweet-spotted.
Forward Air: Magikoopa Grabs Goomba and swings the poor guy in front of him downward. Fast and weak. A hit right in the middle can cause a mid-strength meteor smash.
Back Air: Koopa Troopa in shell form Jerks back from the group, then comes back. Similar to Mario, Dr Mario and Luigi's Back Air (Sweet-spot at the start)
Up Air: Magikoopa swings his wand upward in an arch from left to right, trapping the opponent with magic, then Lakitu follows suit with a Spiny ball, knocking the opponent upwards. Damage by Magikoopa boosted if sweet-spotted

Smash Attacks

Down Smash: Koopa Troopa turns into a shell and travels around the group in a full circle.
Forward Smash: Magikoopa shakes Goomba violently in front of him.
Up Smash: Lakitu lobs up a Spiny ball and catches it.

Specials

Neutral Special: Magikoopa Casts a chargeable mid-speed long ranged homing shot that can either Damage, Freeze, Shield-Break or Put to Sleep an opponent, not in that order depending on how long charged, a la Robin's thunder (In a way)
Down Special: Sends out Goomba that has mid-low speed, high damage but low knock-back.
Side Special: Sends out a Koopa Troopa in shell form that has high speed, high knock-back but low damage. Can be Sent off stage to edge-guard.
Up Special: All troops ride Lakitu's Cloud High for 4 seconds, then all the troops except Lakitu jump up off the cloud into a helpless state Whilst Lakitu throws 4 or 5 Spiny balls down at the opponent(s), before rejoining the Troop.

Final Smash

Magikoopa fires purple magic, and the opponent(s) get trapped. They enter a stage based on their costumes (More detail on that later) and every thing from Bloopers to Thwomps to Chain chomps comes in and Rampages the victim(s) whilst it shows the Troop playing that game on a Gamepad (for the Wii U version) or a 3DS (for the 3DS version) and them laughing when it happens at the end. P.S. Don't ask how you can play NSMB Wii/U on a 3DS (Again, more detail later)

Taunts

Down Taunt: The Troop lay down and rest
Side Taunt: The Troop poses with their arms spread out in joy
Up Taunt: Magikoopa juggles the Spiny, Goomba and Koopa Troopa with magic, whilst Lakitu flies through the loop

Properties

• The Troop is tethered to Magikoopa, but magikoopa isn't tethered to the group, a la Rosalina and Luma or Olimar and Pikmin
  • The Tether begins to noticeably weaken at about 50% of damage
  • Only Magikoopa and Lakitu can receive damage until 70%, then the Troop as a whole can gain damage
  • If Magikoopa dies, the troop loses a Stock
  • If Anyone else dies, from being into the blast zone, they Respawn after 9-10 (14-15 for Lakitu) seconds from a pipe that appears
  • If Lakitu dies, The cloud is faster, thus bringing them higher, but also meaning there are no Spiny Balls to cover their fall
  • The specials that utilize Goomba and Koopa Troopa will almost always cause them to go off into the blast zone so, if they fall from a special, their respawn time is reduced to 4-5 seconds to stop spams but not make missing so punishable. If they don't fall off, after 10 seconds of being sent out or 25% damage (Whichever comes first) they will return to the Troop.
  • If a smash or air attack uses only one of the Troops who has died, the move will be executed by Magikoopa with his wand, albeit weaker, even if sweet-spotted
  • If Lakitu is gone, the Up air's second hit will also use Magikoopa's wand instead again, weaker than with a spiny
  • When the Troop jumps, they are all in the cloud. If the Troop is meteor smashed, the cloud dissipates and then reappears when they jump. This is purely aesthetic.
  • Costumes are from Super Mario Bros 1+3, Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U to fit in with the Super Mario Maker stage announcement. There are 2 colours per style and each style has a different default and recolour.
  • Victory Theme: Rock Remix of Super Mario Bros. End of Level Fanfare (Bowser and Bowser Jr's)
Do I think this will Happen?
Hell No!
Do I want this to happen?
Hell Yes!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So today I wanted to share something from PushDustIn PushDustIn of Source Gaming. A few days ago I was given a list that he compiled using various requests across the internet and logibility. I finished the list, which compiled the most likely characters for Smash DLC. So without further ado, here's the list.

Pre-ballot:
Wolf
Shovel Knight

Post-ballot:
Dixie Kong
Waddle Dee (aka: Bandana Dee)
Professor Layton
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) (Second SEGA rep)

These results are obviously unexpected, so if there are any questions or thoughts feel free to share.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Puyo Puyo? Really?

The amount of stock I put in what you've said is zero because of that alone.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Puyo Puyo? Really?

The amount of stock I put in what you've said is zero because of that alone.
She's a Japanese rep. Also, she does have moveset potential.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
She's a Japanese rep.
I had to Google what it even was, which is a pretty bad sign for a 3rd party.

I stand by my belief that SEGA isn't getting another character unless it's someone else from Sonic.

Otherwise Dixie > King K Rool is another I have difficulty believing, but is much less ridiculous.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Knuckles would be a cool Character but Young Link should gain a place because you can change his moveset up Ex:Neutral b like shulk but with the masks

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Something told me people would react like this.
What did you expect? You've made some pretty sweeping statements with regards to that being the "most likely" list, with some quite left field choices and no mention of the methodology behind it. Moreover your choices seem to contradict the Sourcegaming articles, particularly excluding K Rool when the sites research indicates K Rool is ridiculously popular everywhere.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Here's an image

The fact that I had to look her up doesn't bode well for her.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah. Gracias.

So yeah, NintenZ NintenZ , I don't think what you're saying matches up with his research specifically. If you're gonna cite his work, make sure that what you're saying aligns with the source.

Smooth Criminal
Let me explain. It's a bit different from what you thunk, what happened was that I asked for the characters he thinks may be likely and he gave me a list of 12 possible outcomes, I then preceded to edit the list and the result is what you see. Also, remember, it's more suggestion than popularity. And there's a reason I didn't include K. Rool.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Let me explain. It's a bit different from what you thunk, what happened was that I asked for the characters he thinks may be likely and he gave me a list of 12 possible outcomes, I then preceded to edit the list and the result is what you see. Also, remember, it's more suggestion than popularity.
...Edit how? What's your basis for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom