• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Match-up Discussion Thread REMOVE STICKY PLZ

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Defensive Pikachu can be a problem also, as his NeutralB forces you to come in, than his Dsmash is long enough to eat your entire shield leaving only the sweetspot to launch DK. Even worse if he short hops Fair, than follows up with a downB, it's GURANTEED to launch you, I'd even consider it an unblockable.

I need more practice with this one, I just went to grandfinals in a local 25 man toiurney and lost to the most defensive boring but effective play style I've ever faced. If this is "HIGH" level play, than I could just say F-it and take Melty Blood serious over Brawl.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Defensive Pikachu can be a problem also, as his NeutralB forces you to come in, than his Dsmash is long enough to eat your entire shield leaving only the sweetspot to launch DK. Even worse if he short hops Fair, than follows up with a downB, it's GURANTEED to launch you, I'd even consider it an unblockable.

I need more practice with this one, I just went to grandfinals in a local 25 man toiurney and lost to the most defensive boring but effective play style I've ever faced. If this is "HIGH" level play, than I could just say F-it and take Melty Blood serious over Brawl.

NEVER EVER take a Pikachu to Lylat cruise. way too good for them and its probably just me but I think DK has a disadvantage there overall. That's just IMO

BTW if you guys want a certain match-up edited up by tomorrow night I would be happy to do it, otherwise I'll finish peach's and write up Snake's

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble vs. Pit. Specifically arrows and SideB. Since he can change up timing and hold arrows, it makes them hard to avoid/cancel because they're so **** fast. Also, once I get caught in Side-B what's the best way out? I usually DI back, which just resets the stage.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I'm having trouble vs. Pit. Specifically arrows and SideB. Since he can change up timing and hold arrows, it makes them hard to avoid/cancel because they're so **** fast. Also, once I get caught in Side-B what's the best way out? I usually DI back, which just resets the stage.
yeah, if you DI back in time, youll only get hit a few times, but your Fsmash takes priority over his sideb, so thats good for a few hits until he learns not to do it. but if pit wants to be annoying theres nothing you can do to stop him, just try to get into ftilt range and poke him to death.

Also, you can sidestep D3's chain throw (maybe not against really good ones, but I can get out of my friends chaingrab) watch out though, because if you sidestep he can hit you with a fsmash if he sees it coming. but sidestep to downB once or twice to mess with him

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu's dsmash isn't THAT bad to deal with because it's easy to DI out of. Smashing both sticks diagonally up and away from him (sometimes repeatedly) will get you out a lot of the time. It's better to just eat his downsmash and DI out of it and take a bit of damage than to risk shielding against it, I think (though sometimes the first few hits will push you out of range of the rest when shielding).

Thunderjolt isn't hard to powershield/ftilt/dtilt. Once you get in medium range, you can easily follow a powershielded thunderjolt with a down-B. DK is easy to thunder though.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I'm working on a snake strategy that kills around 40% and is very hard to avoid. cargo dtoss to dair will usually work, because the way there recovery works, they'll jump into it, and if they decide to go low, a bair or up b will stage spike them, tapion could get out of it though, so it needs tweaks

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
When IKE is charging his RushingB move sideB? just spam DK's downB, it is very very difficult for IKE to interrupt this and the situation is definitely in your favor.

FluxCapacitor

Smash Rookie
Although most of what I (and the majority of people) have to say is totally anecdotal information, there are a few definite, normative facets to DK's game:

1. Projectiles are hard to counter. Yes, you can hit most of them, or Short Hop Air Dodge in order to approach. These tactics are not only difficult to implement, but also easy to read and counter by the opponent. So, campy characters give DK a larger problem than they give most characters.

2. Bair, Bair, Bair This is, in my very humble opinion, DK's best move. I am willing to purport reversed Bairs as DK's best approach method, and maybe his best tactic overall. Not only does this ability have an insane hitbox(long, and almost above DK's head), it also can scoop opponents off the ground.

3. His Nair kills at low percentages Pretty self-explanatory. Get an enemy high enough in the air, and DK can vertically KO just about anyone that isn't a behemoth (Bowser comes to mind.)

4. Chain grabs Like many people have said, chain grabs destroy DK's large frame. DDD can murder the poor primate with his chain grab. As aforementioned by others, DK seems to be at a severe disadvantage to DDD, ICs, and other chain-grabbers.

5. Spacing An aggregate of Numbers 2 and 4, spacing is absolutely imperative to DK's survival. Although it can be concieved as "cheap", a DK's best bet in many a scenario is b-air camping, with intermittent F-tilts (incredible range) and some D-titls. This is necessary to ensure enough damage to use killing moves, and to deny the opponent the ability to rack up combos on DK's large frame. Characters with large reach (Marth, Ike, Zamus) have several options to mitigate this, so DK's spacing advantage can become all but void.

6. Strength DK's calling card is his propensity for killing at low percentages with his beastly array of muscular moves. His Forward smash is powerful, and his charge punch packs some mean killing potential. This affords our ape-protagonist a serious advantage over light, flimsy characters ranging from Jigglypuff and Kirby to Peach and even Pit.

I hope this helps in everyone's considerations and deliberations regarding specific character match-ups.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Although most of what I (and the majority of people) have to say is totally anecdotal information, there are a few definite, normative facets to DK's game:

1. Projectiles are hard to counter. Yes, you can hit most of them, or Short Hop Air Dodge in order to approach. These tactics are not only difficult to implement, but also easy to read and counter by the opponent. So, campy characters give DK a larger problem than they give most characters.

2. Bair, Bair, Bair This is, in my very humble opinion, DK's best move. I am willing to purport reversed Bairs as DK's best approach method, and maybe his best tactic overall. Not only does this ability have an insane hitbox(long, and almost above DK's head), it also can scoop opponents off the ground.

3. His Nair kills at low percentages Pretty self-explanatory. Get an enemy high enough in the air, and DK can vertically KO just about anyone that isn't a behemoth (Bowser comes to mind.)

4. Chain grabs Like many people have said, chain grabs destroy DK's large frame. DDD can murder the poor primate with his chain grab. As aforementioned by others, DK seems to be at a severe disadvantage to DDD, ICs, and other chain-grabbers.

5. Spacing An aggregate of Numbers 2 and 4, spacing is absolutely imperative to DK's survival. Although it can be concieved as "cheap", a DK's best bet in many a scenario is b-air camping, with intermittent F-tilts (incredible range) and some D-titls. This is necessary to ensure enough damage to use killing moves, and to deny the opponent the ability to rack up combos on DK's large frame. Characters with large reach (Marth, Ike, Zamus) have several options to mitigate this, so DK's spacing advantage can become all but void.

6. Strength DK's calling card is his propensity for killing at low percentages with his beastly array of muscular moves. His Forward smash is powerful, and his charge punch packs some mean killing potential. This affords our ape-protagonist a serious advantage over light, flimsy characters ranging from Jigglypuff and Kirby to Peach and even Pit.

I hope this helps in everyone's considerations and deliberations regarding specific character match-ups.
this should probably be put directly in the DK 101 thread kyle. (you should C&P it in there is what I mean)

this is a good read for anybody that is new

Jais

Smash Rookie
I Agreed, and shall update

UPDATE-
It's Kyle on brothers account.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm sorry to ask but can someone please write up the pit match-up or the Zamus match-up. between me and my friends the only characters we don't play are those 2 and I have no idea what to write for them.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pikachu can also chain grab, thats something to watch for plus thunder kills at 100% when not diminished. and Pikachu can use thunder jolt then an aerial thunder jolt making two come at you at two different angles. Plus thunder jolt will knock you off the ledge if you hold onto it too long.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Pikachu can also chain grab, thats something to watch for plus thunder kills at 100% when not diminished. and Pikachu can use thunder jolt then an aerial thunder jolt making two come at you at two different angles. Plus thunder jolt will knock you off the ledge if you hold onto it too long.
thunder kills at 100% IF not diminished, IF you don't DI, and IF you touch pikachuwhen the thunder hits him, if you air dodge on time you you won't die vs pikachu, also Bpunch, fsmash, and downb always seem to beat out the little yellow rat, probably because pikachu players are used to having more range, and you beat him in range (the super armor on your b helps) stay below pikachu as much as you can though, because it will stack damage on you, and even though you'll live to 180, if hes thunder juggling you, he isnt taking damage

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
LOL at your Peach guide.

How many Peach players have you played against in this game?
that's why I put need more input at the bottem. I didn't know if you still play her the same as in melee except for the float cancel being replaced with no-lag on 2 aerials. my friend stoped playing her so I stoped writing. If you would care to tell me something it would help

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I didnt see it, but I might have missed it. anyways, you can cargo carry a snake over a land mine, and then throw because ofthe super armor frames dks cargo gets

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I didnt see it, but I might have missed it. anyways, you can cargo carry a snake over a land mine, and then throw because ofthe super armor frames dks cargo gets

thank you for that its really helpful.

sorry for not updating this in awhile guys,my computer can't even access smashboards somedays but I'll try to get luigi, zelda, wolf, and possibly someone else but IDK.

btw the best way to approach wolf is a grounded up-b

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
I'm sorry to ask but can someone please write up the pit match-up or the Zamus match-up. between me and my friends the only characters we don't play are those 2 and I have no idea what to write for them.
If I had only seen this post before now I could've played you with mine a few games yesterday :(

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
that's why I put need more input at the bottem. I didn't know if you still play her the same as in melee except for the float cancel being replaced with no-lag on 2 aerials. my friend stoped playing her so I stoped writing. If you would care to tell me something it would help
Peach is played very differently from in melee. More aggressively, and has better tilts, forward smash, and up smash than before. dsmash is considerably worse, and while turnips could still be used to camp with, that's usually not the best strategy against most characters anymore either. Her aerials are still good.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I just played about 5 hours against an AMAZING Lucario, and it's scary oh equal the matches were, the biggest threat is Dair, but while positioning DK for Bair you should not be hit with Dair. Aura ball loses to Ftilt, grounded upB is awesome. he a fun fight.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Against Ike- A guarded sideB is a free sideB for DK. Forget using downB to beat it out, just guard it and punish with a pitfall combo.

Against DK-A guarded Dsmash is a free sideB for DK. Forget using Dsmash out of shield to punish, just guard it and punish with a pitfall combo.

Against Snake- Use Cargo SA frames to retaliate with his own C4's and grenades.

Against DDD- when punishing D3's upB there are two legit options
1= MANLY way, trade SA frames and Donkey Punch him.
2= SAFE way, jump and spot dodge through him, than punish him as you descend with a Donkey punch or an Aeriel. Whatever is not diminished, ya know.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
sorry I haven't been updating this guys I've been really busy lately and couldn't

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
No rush or pressure Ripple, I just wanted to get things IN the thread before I forget.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
I don't know how there's a topic like this and Bum isn't making hefty contributions.

Where you at BUM?

and wuddup Kyle!

we gotta get some games in!

DK vs Ike IMO is even.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Ripple, if you're busy I can write some match ups this weekend. I know how to play against pit, diddy, rob, and pikachu pretty well, so i could do those if you want some help

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
About Snake players like myself, I can state that is what we want you to think. A good Snake will grenade drop it before he throws it so the grenade will blow up in your hand before you get a chance to return it.
Against Snake- Use Cargo SA frames to retaliate with his own C4's and grenades.
Very true. That why most good Snake players will only use the grenades when they are far away.

You also need to be aware of the Nikita too. It is still a threat when above you and Snake can use it to rack up some damge when you are trying to recover.

I would say this match is 35% for DK.

Yes, a reply on this matchup (or the others here)on someone like Bum would be appreciated.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ripple, if you're busy I can write some match ups this weekend. I know how to play against pit, diddy, rob, and pikachu pretty well, so i could do those if you want some help

I would like that. however someone is already making a pit match-up for me so instead could you possibly write fox or falco?

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Sick *** games Kyle. I love fighting you. We had some lag, but it wasn't too bad. Expected for a KY vs NJ fight.

Get aim or MSN or something so we can keep in contact and get more fights in more often..seriously.

You're def in my top 5 favorites to fight.

I don't know if it's been updated, but I'm pretty sure Ike vs DK is either 50/50 or slightly favoring Ike, like a 55/45

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Versa-check the friend code GG thread

Anybody with IKE exp. How the hell do I ledge guard him? I get countered, Fair than he abuses upB on ledge and I got nothin...

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
if he sits back and does the constant up b thing on the ledge, grab the ledge before he does, if you see it coming jump around it and sweetspot the ledge, hard to time right but its worth it

Top Bottom