• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Guide

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
SUP DK FANS

That other thread is basically a DK social thread so I'm not even going to bother.

First thing's first about DK, never use side A. (Dash Attack)

NEVER
except here

DK's dash attack clanks with kirby's uptilt and gets frame advantage to move first
anyways

Grabbing

What DK does have going for him is the Fast grab + Grab RANGE

RANGE IS IMPORTANT

There are two chaingrabs for DK.

First is, cargo grab, (fair), and wait for your opponent to mash and they'll be realeased directly infront of you, where you can easily grab them.

If you recieve this combo, you CAN escape it.
UpA then DownB

Next is the DL, the slamtown, the jimmy jammy Chaingrab.
Starts at about 0:11

The Donkey Punch

yall r scared now huh

Basically there are alot of combos leading up into Donkey Punch, I don't know if this will help any of you, but its way different from the Falcon Punch timing.
Heres a combo now:

Also there is a technique that enables the user to turn around in the air, making for good edge guards while still getting back to the stage. Basically, press b for the Donkey Punch in air, then press the direction on your Analog stick where you want to face. Then press Grab or Shield. This will cancel the Donkey Punch, and make you face the other direction. You can also cancel the Donkey Punch on ground by just pressing Grab or Shield.

You can also stay on the edge by jumping down from ledge, Neutral B Cancel, jump up, repeat.

THE SPOTDODGES
Believe it or not, DK has the most Invincibility attacks in the game.
Here is a list!
Thanks to @ Quote720 Quote720
Ex:
Move: Frames

UpSmash (Hands and Head): 5
Down B: 2
Up B (Starting): 5
Fully charged Neutral B: 2
Up B (After Start) (On his Forearms [DK has no hands]) (While Jumping): 40
Cargo Hold: 17
FThrow: 16
Bthrow: 18

EDGEGUARD TECHNIQUES
You can do a ''combo'' that I like to do.
Basically, cargo hold, walk to edge of stage, fall, throw opponent, and edgeguard with Up b.
Should look like this:

THE DREADED UpTILT UpAIRS
This one is scary, guys.
This is a more or less complex combo system involving DK's Up Airs and Up Tilts.
The whole goal is to keep them up in the air to lead them up into a finisher, like a Fair, Dair, or even USmash.
You would want to set up with an Uptilt, chase them on a platform, shield-drop down and up-air. Keep chasing and doing this combo until you feel the time is right to finish him!

Or you can just use it to rack up damage on light characters, like Jiggs and Samus!
(You can finish them with an uptilt on top plat at low percents)
shh dont tell cobr

COOL-CAT STUFF IN GENERAL
Some really edge Cool-Cat Combos are:
Down Air + Up B
Shorthop + Down Air + Shorthop + Down Air

Kamikaze Cargo Hold!
Basically this should only be used in desperate situations when you have a stock up or are more or less able to get up on stage after this attack.
Just Grab, drag offstage, and hold them as far as you can, you can decide to die, or just come back up by reverse Donkey Punch and an Up B.

STAR KINGS WORDS OF WISDOM
down b has set knockback so works at any %

it works on everybody but puff
short hop for heavier/faster falling characters (dk, fox, falcon, link, yoshi)

double jump for lightest chars (pikachu and kirby)

you can just full hop for samus mario luigi ness (but double jump works for these too if you prefer)

Here are some frame displays for DK: http://framedisplay.supersmashbros64.com/webfd/framedisplay.html
I will add more, if you have suggestions please post below.

Last edited:

Quote720

Smash Cadet
Good to see Donger Konger getting serious.

I noticed that the way you described charge cancel turnaround is weird. Don't you have to hit the direction when you start the charge?

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Good to see Donger Konger getting serious.

I noticed that the way you described charge cancel turnaround is weird. Don't you have to hit the direction when you start the charge?
Oops, messed up, that you do!

Quote720

Smash Cadet
Might be good to have the number of invincibility frames for each spot dodge, yeah? I'll work on it later tonight.

Quote720

Smash Cadet
UpSmash (Hands and Head): 5
Down B: 2
Up B (Starting): 5
Fully charged Neutral B: 2
Up B (After Start) (On his Forearms [DK has no hands]) (While Jumping): 40
Cargo Hold: 17
FThrow: 16
Bthrow: 18

What down B to punch? Do you know good percents to try that maybe? I don't really know how to do it, I'm hoping you do.

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero

you can just full hop for samus mario luigi ness (but double jump works for these too if you prefer)

Last edited:

Quote720

Smash Cadet

you can full hop for samus mario luigi ness (but double jump works for these too if you prefer)
Yes, thank you. I'm gonna start practicing right now.

Please add this to guide.

Quote720

Smash Cadet
I may have found another use for the dash attack, though I think it needs further testing. If you use it as a ledge guard, it positions the enemy behind you so you can pivot grab back throw. I did it twice on a computer Fox, but it was on Sector Z, so it might have been because of the angle of the rocket. I'll try to reproduce on other characters and other stages.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
I may have found another use for the dash attack, though I think it needs further testing. If you use it as a ledge guard, it positions the enemy behind you so you can pivot grab back throw. I did it twice on a computer Fox, but it was on Sector Z, so it might have been because of the angle of the rocket. I'll try to reproduce on other characters and other stages.
since whole scene is DL only this should just put him above the side platform
for any char

Sedda

Smash Champion
DK's dash attack clanks with kirby's uptilt and gets frame advantage to move first
wut

god damn

the combo blaze/stradon should be added on here.

it's when you cargo hold and jump, wait for your opponent to break out and then u air. can lead into short combos at low percent into grab again or platform uair combos at mid %

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWanmsuwsKg

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
i wonder if anybody has figured a way to continue DK's chaingrab, a while ago i tried something but it just didn't make sense

after someone escapes the chaingrab, they pretty much cant be grabbed

and both of you are stuck in ending lag for awhile
so a move from DK needs to come out very fast and follow up into a grab to continue the chaingrab again

thoughts? lads?

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
i wonder if anybody has figured a way to continue DK's chaingrab, a while ago i tried something but it just didn't make sense

after someone escapes the chaingrab, they pretty much cant be grabbed

and both of you are stuck in ending lag for awhile
so a move from DK needs to come out very fast and follow up into a grab to continue the chaingrab again

thoughts? lads?
Short hop falling nair -> grab

Last edited:

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
Hello my Dong brethren, one thing I think you should add to this guide is the giant punch cancel turn around bair or bair to upb edgeguard. Seems like a pretty legit technique vs many characters

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
pivot down + b is good to throw out occasionally against an aggressive grabber.

also you should mention grab to cargo hold to turn-around to dropping them to re-grab to backthrow near the ledge...

of course not too close to the ledge though because of dk moving backwards in between chaingrabs (don't want to fall off by accident but that gives me an idea):

would cargo hold (on the edge of a platform) to dropping them (while falling off the plat) to aerial or up + b work?

you can chain the 'z' of a charge cancel into a grab or plat drop... also maybe mention back air as a good spacing tool... meh that's it I gotta go now. :)

Codecracker

Smash Rookie
So I just started playing 64 again with a few friends and I have decided DK is my man. There's some stuff here I'd like to try out but I need some opinions on the Samus matchup. Most times I rely on gimps and edge guards for my kills, but against Samus I have a really hard time (that up b sucks me in if I d-tilt on stage and I can't beat her fair with my own, etc). Am I just a bad spacer in this game, or should I be focusing on other ways to get the kill on Samus? Also my movement feels clunky so any tips on weaving through charge shots/fireballs/boomerangs would be handy too. Thanks

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
You can down b to giant punch. Also n-air leads to f-air and so does u-air. Up b is pretty good vs. Samuses recovery.
I personally don't like the matchup as Samus. Try using the platforms to move around faster. If you get stuck in shield as DK you kinda deserve to die lolll

Top Bottom