• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I like Chunky and Kiddy. I want Chunky to be a DK echo with some of his custom moves from 4.
Chunky might be too big for a Dk echo(their body structures are pretty different from each other) though semi clone could work.

Someone actually made disco Chunky Kong out of Ganondorf through mods in 4.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if the Metroid fandom was big enough to get both Ridley and Dark Samus maybe the DK fandom generated enough votes to get K. Rool in base and Dixie as a semi-clone in DLC.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Well if the Metroid fandom was big enough to get both Ridley and Dark Samus maybe the DK fandom generated enough votes to get K. Rool in base and Dixie as a semi-clone in DLC.
Hopefully, it should be noted that echoes don't take much resources to make compared to semi clone/unique characters so part of me believes that Dark Samus wouldn't have made it if Echoes weren't a thing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hopefully, it should be noted that echoes don't take much resources to make compared to semi clone/unique characters so part of me believes that Dark Samus wouldn't have made it if Echoes weren't a thing.
Yeah.

I'm hoping Dixie at least gets Isabelle levels of difference.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, I believe Dixie Kong had a lot more votes in the Smash Ballot then Dark Samus had, and that's why I have a bit of hope in Dixie's chances for DLC.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Actually yeah, this is a very solid theory. If there isn't a single new arrangement of a Tropical Freeze track in the base game then that might actually be a big hint that she will be playable. If there's even a couple though then I'll probably just move on. At the very least I feel like we'll have some idea of her fate when the game finally releases.
The game's release is a very good time line to know whether Dixie Kong even has a shot to become DLC. We still have a month left of dreaming and hoping. So along with checking for spirits for Bandanna Dee and Elma, we also need to see if there are any new remixes of any tracks from Tropical Freeze (if Dixie Kong is DLC, she most likely will come with a stage based off of Tropical Freeze, and thus some new tracks based off of the game).

Here's an updated version. I do think it looks better!

That is a fantastic drawing and as others have said I like how you incorporated dlc as a hair curl. This is the kind of passion we need from the Dixie Kong fanbase.

DLC= Dixie’s Last Chance
It might very well could be. We have no idea what the future holds. The next game might take a direction that would be very hostile toward Dixie Kong getting in (note, a direction where they simply went with characters that had big cultish fanbases would be bad for Dixie Kong for example, as would a reboot that cut much of the present roster).

Considering everything Ultimate has, I would very much like it if Dixie Kong were to become a newcomer for this title.

Oh, and if not many people take up the task then I will say forget it and move on with my life. This is my last hurrah and once it's done, I'm just gonna make movesets for characters whether they're likely to appear in Smash or not (like Ratchet, Clank or Aloy or Globox) as a side hobby, and post it in a dormant thread. So, my deadline for everyone is December 31st. The goal is to show that Dixie has a large fanbase and that she's more important than some may think. Exemplify why she's not Diddy in Drag and what she offers thanks to her 5th limb. If this fizzles out, then personally I've had a good run, and I will be fine with stepping down.
I know how you feel. I felt the same way after Smash 4's release. I felt very fatigued after how things turned out with Smash 4 as well as events going on personally at the time. I lost much of the passion and interest that I had in Smash Bros. and gaming in general.

I actually can empathize with that. During much of pre-Smash 4, I was doing much of the heavy lifting for Roy's possible return for Smash 4. Towards the end of Smash 4, I was extremely drained (due to personal life situations, the whole drama with Ridley where even my seniority with the Ridley fanbase did not stop Ridley fans from believing those convoluted shadow theories, and things looking truly grim for Roy to return even as DLC).

I wrote this in November 2014 in the Roy support thread:
Well I did not expect this thread to be opened again so soon. My last post in this topic was over two months ago. My how time flies.

Anyway, of course I support Roy's return in Super Smash Bros.

It warms my heart to see that there exists a core of Roy supporters out there who still want to see our boy return. Throughout most of the pre-Smash 4 period, I pretty much had to do a lot of the heavy lifting against the Roy detractors, and much of the time I felt isolated or "own my own". I was able to find out a plethora of things that dissipated some anti-Roy myths. Namely how Roy even got into Melee, the reception of Roy among the Japanese fanbase, and the reception of FE6 among the Japanese fanbase.

In a way I am happy now. There is now a community of Roy supporters who are active and seek Roy's return in Smash Bros.

Unfortunately, I don't see myself being as active for Roy's return as DLC as I was during most of the pre-Smash 4 period. I have been doing character speculation and support since 2001, and at this point I am burnt out. The hard deconfirmation of Ridley ever getting into Smash Bros. by Sakurai recently was also demoralizing.

In terms of speculation, I am virtually done at this point. I honestly don't know what direction Smash 5 is going to take. In terms of DLC, my best guess is that many of the characters will be veterans that were cut (see Mewtwo) and maybe a few newcomers (namely Bandanna Dee or a DK newcomer).

As it stands, Lucina as a clone has much more similarities to Marth than Roy did back in Melee (yet the same people who bashed Roy being a clone, have no problem with her simply being Marth without the tipper). That's it. They share the same speed, weight, and move properties, and fall speed. Not to mention the same idle stances!

Roy can definitely be luigi-fied to an extent that warrants his return. Just look at the existence of Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario in Smash 4.

I provided some videos and inspiration images throughout this thread's history, and maybe I will dig them up again some time. Was the Roy "convenience store" animated video posted in the OP yet? That is a good laugh. :laugh:

Some links to the chapters heavily featuring Roy in Hasha no Tsurigi might also be a good idea.

Lately, my attention has been drawn towards character support for Project M (since that window is closing soon), namely for Ridley and Sami. I feel at this point Project M may be the only opportunity left for a high-quality balanced playable Ridley in Smash Bros. Project M already gave Roy a proper revamp, so I have confidence in them if they decide to also add him.

Keep up the good work Roy fans. Remember ROY'S OUR BOY! :roypm:

You can tell I was drained. I was barely involved with the Roy support topic even after it had been re-opened in light of DLC being announced. What even got me posting at all was seeing other Roy supporters mobilize for once, and actually doing things themselves. Roy had this massive fanbase during pre-Smash 4, yet I (along with Croph) were doing much of the heavy lifting for much of pre-Smash 4. Then when things looked grimmest for Roy (four Fire Emblems characters, one of the four FE characters being a Marth clone, so many popular Brawl veterans being cut with made many view those characters as a higher priority than Roy, another character named Roy also playable in the game), a whole bunch of passionate Roy fans emerge on the scene and do thinks like draw comic strips (Archdan's Lonely Roy), make websites, and make all sorts of fan art and drives. '

A whole bunch of people popped up saying how much they loved Roy in Melee and Project M and he absolutely needed to come back. I think Project M did play a big part in Roy's boost (Project M was at its peak in 2013 and 2014), but it was surreal seeing all these passionate Roy fans come out of the woodwork just when I was ready to retire from speculation.

This is further shown when I made this post in April in the Roy support thread (when the Smash Ballot was announced):

Its strange. I thought that with Smash 4's release, four playable Fire Emblem characters, one of which is a Marth, that things would look more dire than they have ever been. Yet I am looking at this thread and many places elsewhere, and I see Roy enjoying more support than he did during much of the pre-Smash 4 period.

Throughout the years we Roy fans have constantly and consistently attacked by a multitude of FE fanbases and other character fanbases. After seven years though, we still have a lot of support, despite "lol there is already a crappy Marf clone in Smash" and "lol Roy (Koopa) is already in". To see a day where Roy enjoys even more support than Ridley is truly surreal.

As it seems, Roy may even be within the Top 10 (in terms of legitimate support, not counting who is simply the best vote stuffer). On Miiverse and among Japanese fans, Roy support is very strong.

Years ago, I made grandiose promises in this thread to really turn this thread into something more similar to the heavy-weight fanbases (such as Ridley, K. Rool, and Isaac). I never delivered on that promise. I am ashamed that I never lived up to my own expectations on fighting back against the slander against Roy throughout the years (lies such as namely that Roy is hated among FE fans, that FE6 wasn't well-received, that he is not popular among Japanese fans, that his files in Brawl meant nothing). I found definitive evidence against all of those points, yet, ignorance has still prevailed.

However, in spite of the detractors still playing the same broken tune, Roy supporters have been sprouting up everywhere. I am seeing increasingly more Roy fans say, "so what" in response to some joker saying Roy does not deserve to return based on his performance as a unit relative to other lords in the series, or "I'm a Roy fan and I loved FE6" when they say that there are no Roy fans that have played his game and like him.

Despite all odds, I have seen Roy fans voice their support for the character, despite being shouted down with a barrage of insults. The thing is, that these haters are very, very afraid of, is this: there is a lot, lot more of us than they would want to believe, and that deep in the back of their minds, they are legitimately afraid that Roy actually does stand a chance to return.

In terms of Nintendo characters, only Wolf, K. Rool, Isaac, and maybe Inkling enjoy more support. We may not have much in the way of voter-stuffers and mass propaganda on twitter, but we have countless people who enjoyed Roy firsthand. We can never forget the times we enjoyed playing as Roy. Although Roy is a clone, and a Marth clone is already within Smash 4, Roy was truly an unforgettable character within Smash Bros.

All throughout the years I thought that my efforts alone would be enough to salvage the Roy fanbase and galvanize ourselves into a force similar to what see saw with Mewtwo (certainly not in terms of size, but at least in terms of passion and dedication). I fought many lonely battles in arguments over the years against detractors, and in the end I thought it was all a waste of time.

However, in all of the arguments, there is but one, that I never used. It only recently has become evident to me, and that's heart. Look at characters like K. Rool and Isaac who have gone nearly 10 years (over 10 for Isaac) without a major role in their own franchises, yet sit at the top of the mountain in terms of requests. They survived all these years due to the fact that they greatly enjoyed the games these characters were from, and how these characters were portrayed.

Through Melee and Project M (and for a minority of us, FE6) we still cherish the times and memories we had using Roy and the games he was featured in. Of all the arguments that the detractors use. That he is a clone of Marth and there is already a Marth clone in Smash. That there are already four playable FE characters. That there is already a character named Roy playable. That most Roy fans have not played FE6. None of that matters. In the end, there is still many who still love the character and have not forgotten him. In the end, that may be all that matters.

Whether or not Roy gets in as DLC, we still after all these years still enjoy the character. I am very happy to see how Croph has done much for the Roy support here. There is a very long road for us, and we may not win in the end, but at least we are still here.

We should be proud. Even the goliath Ridley fanbase has crumbled in the face of dashed hopes (and an army of detractors), yet even with four FE slots (one of which is a Marth clone) and at least 10 years of bitter detractors running their mouths at us, we somehow find ourselves sitting at the same table as giants like K. Rool, Isaac, and Wolf.

I hope that people who don't even like Roy at least understand that our enjoyment of the character in Melee and Project M is no less legitimate than those who enjoy other Smash characters primarily though Smash (one example,I seriously doubt most people who love Jigglypuff in Smash Bros. use Jiggly as part of their Pokemon lineup in the Pokemon games).

There is little I can do for my fellow Roy fans, I simply don't have the same passion I used to have in regards to Smash Bros. support and speculation. It is simply on all of you, to make the dream of revival be realized. In the end, I can probably say my efforts were basically negligible in terms of affecting anything.

It was all you that have done this.

We are definitely at a disadvantage relative to other fanbases (for one we have much less vote stuffers) , however, despite our smaller size, we are all in this together, regardless of the outcome.

ROY'S OUR BOY!

As fate would have it, less than two weeks later, there was a leak in the DLC update that was posted, that showed Roy and Ryu as possible planned future fighters for Smash DLC.

However, even before this happened, I got to see what I wish had happened during pre-Smash 4, a passionate Roy support base.

With Dixie Kong, there are a few passionate fans, but they are few and far between. Right now, I am not seeing the enthusiasm I saw with other possible newcomers for prospective DLC (Elma and Bandanna Dee fans are optimistic, Geno fans are still hopeful). Dixie Kong has this massive support base just like Roy had, and just like Roy, the Dixie Kong fans do not seem to be speaking up as much as they should.

The question is how to make it manifest. However, a big problem is that those who have spoken most passionately about Dixie Kong are older and do not have much free time. Dixie Kong absolutely can be sold, and moreover, her origin material is easy to get into and accessible. She also has a very clear personality that is endearing.

For myself, I put the deadline at knowing what Ultimate's content is. If Bandanna Dee and Elma are missing as spirits in Ultimate, then it is clear that they are being planned as DLC newcomers, and thus that takes away two of the five DLC slots as well as rules out Dixie Kong as a prospective DLC fighter because she has already been known as a spirit since they were shown off on November 1st. If Tropical Freeze receives multiple new tracks (particularly remixes of tracks) then that is another sign that Dixie Kong has low prospects for DLC.

Until then, I will continue my hope and dreams for Dixie Kong to join Ultimate's roster, or at least for another month. Hopefully the Last Nintendo All-Star will finally be able to step foot on the battlefields of Smash Bros. within the coming year.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Yeah.

I'm hoping Dixie at least gets Isabelle levels of difference.
In a sense she kinda has to be, Echoes pretty much has to have nearly 90% same body shape and no extra body parts to require more polygons and bone frames.

Despite Dixie's body being similar to Diddy's her huge ponytail requires more polygons and bone frames which is why she can't be an echo(most mods on her for Diddy in previous games had her ponytail had improper animation not to mention that Diddy's move set doesn't look good on her at all) also I heard that each dlc characters will be unique so there's no need to worry about her being an echo now at least.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm hopeing that the stage that comes with Dixie either references Tropical Freeze or finally remembers Donkey Kong's minecart levels. Maybe even both.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I don't think the Smash Ballot had all that much of an impact on the roster. Sakurai always obviously wanted to add Chrom but just didn't for whatever reason, Dark Samus was probably one of the most obvious and easy echoes, and everyone else seems not to be Ballot-related except for King K. Rool. Sakurai has always known the demand for Ridley, and Simon Belmont is cool but I don't think he was requested all that much. I truly believe that K. Rool was the real winner of the ballot and everyone else was just circumstantial.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think the Smash Ballot had all that much of an impact on the roster. Sakurai always obviously wanted to add Chrom but just didn't for whatever reason, Dark Samus was probably one of the most obvious and easy echoes, and everyone else seems not to be Ballot-related except for King K. Rool. Sakurai has always known the demand for Ridley, and Simon Belmont is cool but I don't think he was requested all that much. I truly believe that K. Rool was the real winner of the ballot and everyone else was just circumstantial.
The ballot was mostly used for veterans. K. Rool likely won the whole thing and that’s why he’s here.

If someone else won, we still wouldn’t have Dixie and DK would only have two characters still.

A terrifying thought.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Geno and Banjo & Kazooie make it in as DLC, I would be leaning more to believe that they are taking other characters from the Smash Ballot besides K. Rool.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If Geno and Banjo & Kazooie make it in as DLC, I would be leaning more to believe that they are taking other characters from the Smash Ballot besides K. Rool.
Geno was not a big character during pre-Smash 4 and that goes for during the ballot period. His fanbase did not resurrect until the Mii costume and Sakurai's statements regarding Geno.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
The ballot was mostly used for veterans. K. Rool likely won the whole thing and that’s why he’s here.

If someone else won, we still wouldn’t have Dixie and DK would only have two characters still.

A terrifying thought.
Yeah Rool's population was very high, he was the only one that wasn't a veteran that made top five on early ballots, even in Japan.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Everywhere I go it feels like people forget that consistently around that time the people topping the ballot were the vets. Outside of a few outliers like K. Rool and Bandana Dee all the fan polls reflected characters like Lucas, Snake, and the Ice Climbers. Everyone Is Here WAS a response to the ballot, and so were Ridley and K. Rool. I'm not saying you guys are wrong for wanting to support your girl and for being down that she's not in - believe me, after the final reveals I was convinced that Elma was out of the running until other supporters showed me otherwise - but you have to remember what the ballot really showed to Nintendo.

The option now is to pipe up and keep piped up. Clearly, the Big N still likes Dixie. She's playable in the latest game, after all. I hope you all get her for DLC, especially since a Tropical Freeze level would be wonderful. I'll be supporting you all on the sidelines as you let your voices be heard!

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I completely forgot about the veterans, that's a great point. Smash fans really aren't that creative are we?

"Who do you want in Smash more than anyone else?"
"That redhead guy from Melee who copies Marth's moveset!"

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I completely forgot about the veterans, that's a great point. Smash fans really aren't that creative are we?

Well to be honest, some people get really attached to these characters and losing them is a hard thing to swallow, this is coming from me a person who used Wolf as a secondary in Brawl and I really wanted him back when he got cut from 4 more than anything.

For some losing a fav might be worse than not getting their most wanted which is probably why veterans dominated in the ballot.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

One of the people trying hard to go to bat for Dixie in this thread is a Roy fan.

I voted mostly for K. Rool but also tossed a vote to Snake because he’s my favorite video game character.

These potshots are completely unproductive. Dixie had a hard enough time getting traction because of K. Rool vs. Dixie. Let’s not make things harder for her.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well to be honest, some people get really attached to these characters and losing them is a hard thing to swallow, this is coming from me a person who used Wolf as a secondary in Brawl and I really wanted him back when he got cut from 4 more than anything.

For some losing a fav might be worse than not getting their most wanted which is probably why veterans dominated in the ballot.
Sakurai did say that every character is someone's favourite.

I mourned the loss of Ivysaur for example.

But that was then and this is now. All vets are in and we've got 5 unknown characters who have never been playable in Smash coming.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Sakurai did say that every character is someone's favourite.

I mourned the loss of Ivysaur for example.

But that was then and this is now. All vets are in and we've got 5 unknown characters who have never been playable in Smash coming.
True which is why it's not an issue anymore so it was a good idea to bring everyone back and now they could add all new faces for dlc.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
StormC StormC Easy, 'tis only a joke. Roy is actually my favorite Fire Emblem character, and I called Dixie "Diddy in drag" earlier in this thread. I'm an equal-opportunity offender.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One appealing aspect of Dixie is that she is such prime (primate?) candidate as a semi (simian?) clone. Two of Smash 4's seven DLC characters were semi clones so at least one being a semi clone would probably be appealing to the developers. Plus, as others have said, Tropical Freeze offers a ton of great content and it would have been fresh in Sakurai's line of sight when the Fantastic Five were supposedly determined in late 2015. With so many first party characters biting the dust on Thursday, I do honestly think that Bandana Dee, Elma, and Dixie are the only real ones left in the running and I'm confident that we'll get two.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
The absolute bare minimum for Dixie is that they entirely replace Diddy's up+b with something involving the hair and replace the Peanut Popgun with a Bubblegum Popgun or something else.

Obviously she deserves her own moveset and there's more than enough fuel for one, but if they absolutely had to make her an Echo for whatever reason, she could not be less unique than that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One appealing aspect of Dixie is that she is such prime (primate?) candidate as a semi (simian?) clone. Two of Smash 4's seven DLC characters were semi clones so at least one being a semi clone would probably be appealing to the developers. Plus, as others have said, Tropical Freeze offers a ton of great content and it would have been fresh in Sakurai's line of sight when the Fantastic Five were supposedly determined in late 2015. With so many first party characters biting the dust on Thursday, I do honestly think that Bandana Dee, Elma, and Dixie are the only real ones left in the running and I'm confident that we'll get two.
I think the same. I am extremely confident Bandanna Dee is going to happen. For Elma, its very suspicious that there is almost no Xenoblade X content in Ultimate yet a Mii costume, several tracks ans spirits for Xenoblade 2. If Elma is outright lacking a spirit in Ultimate, then I see it no different than the bread crumbs that made it obvious to everyone that Dark Samus was coming.

Dixie Kong is a huge name, but I cannot shake the feeling if she was being planned that they would have held off on showing off her spirits. However, as you said, she is a good candidate for a Lucas/Wolf/Isabelle type character which would lower the burden for the team. I wish I could feel more optimistic on Dixie Kong in general, but right now I already see the five slots as:

1. Microsoft newcomer (likely Banjo-Kazooie)
2. Square-Enix newcomer (likely Geno, could be Sora or a Dragon Quest character though)
3. Namco-Bandai newcomer (likely Heihachi, could be Lloyd)
4. Bandanna Dee
5. Elma or Dixie Kong (right now, I feel Elma is more likely due to the suspicious absence of Xenoblade X content).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
BirthNote BirthNote , you can go ahead and create the Twitter account then give me the password to run it. I don't really any ideas for the username or description or anything, but I have plenty of ideas for content.
Nah, I'll leave it to you; all ya gotta do is name it "Dixie Kong for Super Smash Bros" or some other on-the-nose title and you're good to go.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think the same. I am extremely confident Bandanna Dee is going to happen. For Elma, its very suspicious that there is almost no Xenoblade X content in Ultimate yet a Mii costume, several tracks ans spirits for Xenoblade 2. If Elma is outright lacking a spirit in Ultimate, then I see it no different than the bread crumbs that made it obvious to everyone that Dark Samus was coming.

Dixie Kong is a huge name, but I cannot shake the feeling if she was being planned that they would have held off on showing off her spirits. However, as you said, she is a good candidate for a Lucas/Wolf/Isabelle type character which would lower the burden for the team. I wish I could feel more optimistic on Dixie Kong in general, but right now I already see the five slots as:

2. Square-Enix newcomer (likely Geno, could be Sora or a Dragon Quest character though)
4. Bandanna Dee
5. Elma or Dixie Kong (right now, I feel Elma is more likely due to the suspicious absence of Xenoblade X content).
That'd be a pretty awesome DLC selection. I hope the rumors about a Granblue character are untrue, as that would be the most "what?" DLC possible.

Hoping the first character announcement sheds some light on where this will go. I'm personally not optimistic for Elma or Dixie, though.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I honestly would be surprised if Elma makes it in at all. I think the more likely outcome is just that there won't be that much XCX content period.

I am more optimistic about Dixie's chances. But I'm not optimistic about her for DLC either unless there's more than 1 season of DLC.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That'd be a pretty awesome DLC selection. I hope the rumors about a Granblue character are untrue, as that would be the most "what?" DLC possible.

Hoping the first character announcement sheds some light on where this will go. I'm personally not optimistic for Elma or Dixie, though.
Vergeben has said he thinks the Square-Enix character is going to be the first one to be announced. If Ultimate's DLC follows the same pattern as Smash 4's, then I think the next fighter is going to be announced in March. Then our third one in June. Our fourth one is a mystery, but it could be in September. While the last one gets announced in December or January. The last one is supposed to be released in February 2020.

Regardless, we will be waiting until March, unless we get a January or December Direct that shows off the next fighter after Pirahna Plant. Personally, I think the next unveil is happening in March.

StormC

Smash Hero
Vergeben has said he thinks the Square-Enix character is going to be the first one to be announced. If Ultimate's DLC follows the same pattern as Smash 4's, then I think the next fighter is going to be announced in March. Then our third one in June. Our fourth one is a mystery, but it could be in September. While the last one gets announced in December or January. The last one is supposed to be released in February 2020.

Regardless, we will be waiting until March, unless we get a January or December Direct that shows off the next fighter after Pirahna Plant. Personally, I think the next unveil is happening in March.
There's the rumor that the Square character will be revealed at the VGA Awards the day before Ultimate comes out, if you buy into that.

Otherwise your schedule makes sense. I assume they'll save something big for E3. Banjo-Kazooie, maybe? Could be announced alongside the N64 Mini.

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Dixie has enough to be her own character especially if she's an Isabelle and started off as an echo and became a semi clone but they still didn't have time to get her in.

More development time would allow her to be completely unique. It's weird for Diddy to lose his tail attack for no reason. We were right about the tiny changes to bowser Jr's. Cannonball to make it easier to tell the difference from k. Rools and people thought that was reaching.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

4. Bandanna Dee
Banjo, Geno, Lloyd, Dee and Dixie would be PERFECT for a first season

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I've been trying to reason through why Dixie has such a minimal role in this game.

I have always been and will remain adamantly against Dixie being a clone of Diddy. However, if Sakurai wanted to force her in, I acknowledge that it would be possible, if off-putting. But that didn't happen. Why? It can't be for lack of popularity, because there's no way I'll believe Chrom and Dark Samus were more popular than her. It can't be because there was another DK newcomer already, because Ridley and Dark Samus both got in. My only conclusion is that Sakurai has already decided Dixie Kong won't be an echo fighter.

So then what happened? Too unique to clone but not high priority enough to make it in otherwise? Unfortunate, but I can see it. But then why isn't she even an assist trophy? There are plenty of popular characters who are assist trophies presumably because they just weren't high enough priority to make unique and couldn't realistically be echoes. Krystal, Bomberman, Isaac (returns), Shovel Knight, Midna, Ashley, etc. I can't imagine it would be too tough to make Dixie an assist trophy.

I don't want to get my hopes up. I just want answers to these questions.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think you are right that Dixie would just require more uniqueness and she was not a priority, at least for the base roster. If Dixie really was as easy echo material, if Sakurai really saw her that way, I bet she would be an echo along with the others.

Also they really did do their hw on DKC3 lol.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
MFW Dixie still isn't playable after five Smash titles...

Seeing Peach with expressions is pure gold and about time too

StormC

Smash Hero
I've been trying to reason through why Dixie has such a minimal role in this game.

I have always been and will remain adamantly against Dixie being a clone of Diddy. However, if Sakurai wanted to force her in, I acknowledge that it would be possible, if off-putting. But that didn't happen. Why? It can't be for lack of popularity, because there's no way I'll believe Chrom and Dark Samus were more popular than her. It can't be because there was another DK newcomer already, because Ridley and Dark Samus both got in. My only conclusion is that Sakurai has already decided Dixie Kong won't be an echo fighter.

So then what happened? Too unique to clone but not high priority enough to make it in otherwise? Unfortunate, but I can see it. But then why isn't she even an assist trophy? There are plenty of popular characters who are assist trophies presumably because they just weren't high enough priority to make unique and couldn't realistically be echoes. Krystal, Bomberman, Isaac (returns), Shovel Knight, Midna, Ashley, etc. I can't imagine it would be too tough to make Dixie an assist trophy.

I think it's just his general indifference to the DK series. K. Rool never got more than a standalone trophy after five games (despite other "irrelevant" villains like Mother Brain getting Assist Trophies) until the ballot. We know she was worked on in some form for Brawl, but we don't know what that would have looked like. Heck, the DK series didn't even get an Assist Trophy until now, which is a Klaptrap, another nod to K. Rool.

The question of why Sakurai has been so wishywashy on the DK series is one that would require a team of researchers to answer. His portrayal of K. Rool is nothing short of fantastic, but that is probably because he knew he had to get such a popular character right more than anything.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Okay, I made the Twitter account. Here it is.

As you can see it's very rinky-dink as of right now. I ask that everyone seeing this post follow the account to build up publicity and support. Also, I'd love recommendations for art and tweet material, as right now I only have the profile pic and a rudimentary description. Basically, this is a community-sourced project and I am asking for input from absolutely everyone.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

He may not have a strong interest in DKC but he at least knows how they operate canonically which is why Dixie will not be an echo plus it also relates to how he originally had her as a team mechanic in Brawl.

It also doesn't help that many devs at Nintendo view Dk as a branch of Mario(take a look at Yoshi and Wario who probably be forever alone throughout the series with even less stage/music representation) it might be lucky that Dk gets more than them even if we don't believe it's a lot.

Personally I'm actually grateful that Dixie has never been an assist trophy but they probably never found any way to function as such.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Thoughts on the direct:
-Kencineroar look cool but were unfortunately not especially exciting thanks to Vergeben, Box Theory and the arguing associated with them really dragging down my hype. I honestly just tuned out their trailer and kept working (was watching the live stream at work) and only went back to analyze it later.

-Spirits looks kind of boring to be honest. Basically just an attempt to pick up on the mobile gaming market (which I'm not a fan of) while offering a replacement for trophies and custom characters. Better than Smash Tour at least.

-The AT slaughter was real. I swear I could hear distant cries of agony when Isaac was shown. I actually supported Black Knight and Tiki too, but they at least got promoted I suppose.

-I unironically love Piranha Plant. The fighter I never knew I wanted. DLC in general seems to be about on course to what I expected in terms of content, cost and timeline.

-World of Light could be cool. Hope it has more cinematics than just the one we saw. If it turns out to be how you unlock most of the cast and has branching paths that allow you to choose who to save first, that'd be sweet.

Top Bottom