• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ditto added in SSBB

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I like this idea. Do you think Charade took up a spot of a character in SC2? Or a character like that wooden guy in Tekken (man, I can't remember his name... mokujin or something)?

I think whether or not Nintendo chooses to add Ditto, they won't do it at the expense of another character they were planning to add.

And Ditto's role would be so different from Kirby. We forget that Kirby actually has a moveset unique to himself. If Ditto made it in solely as a clone character, then it would just be as if you were playing a different character at the start of each stock or whatnot. And he would be slightly differently shaded to show he's Ditto (sorta like Twelve in 3rd strike when he uses XCOPY).

Good idea. Suggest it to Sakurai using the stickied thread!

Plus, it would eliminate counterpicking in tournaments. But not only that, the person who picks him would be taking a HUGE risk. You may get Fox/Sheik/Marth for a round, but you could also get Pichu/Bowser/Mewtwo and be out of the tournament.

I quite like this idea. I doubt Nintendo will do it, but it would probably be super easy for them to do, and it wouldn't take up a character they'd otherwise include. It'd just be a neat extra.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
I actually really like the idea of ditto, but I feel that theres a good chance for one of the following problems.

A) If you can choose when to change then this may cause ditto to be broken.

B)If you can't choose when to change then people would fear using him in tournament play as they would be scared of the chance that they might change into "the pichu" of brawl.

Anther

Smash Champion
I love this idea!
This is personally the least annoying new character addition that I've ever heard >_>. It's actually feasible and makes sense, and sounds like a good idea at the same time. I'm sure if a character like this was in Melee, it'd be so much more fun, as I enjoyed playing as Charade in SCII just to show some dominance.

Reading some of the replies here actually made me soooo angry XD. Yall are so ridiculous =P.. Soanevalck... Some reading comprehension please XD.
Number 1, changing at the end of a stock and the sort of luck involved is totally different from the sort of random item thing. I mean.. if you're in a tourney, and you're worried about getting a character you're bad at, then maybe ya shouldn't choose ditto =P. Plus, while training, this can only help you get better with different characters anyway.

Number 2, "Blah blah take up slot *cry cry cry*" Personally I'd prefer a character like this than any other character, and the programming that this game would require (As it'd transform into the actual character model) would probably be something they could create the day before it's released. So the only way it'd actually take away from any new characters is if they placed a cap on how many characters they want in the game.
I mean, in the show.. most dittos transform perfectly anyway =P.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Oh wait... isn't the definition of Ditto to copy the thing before it, and not be random? Isn't there a reason why Fox vs Fox is called a Ditto match? For ditto to suddenly change into a different character each stock would be against the definition of the term 'ditto?' Also Ditto in the game 'copies' what its against, when Charizard beats the crap out of your previous pokemon, and you send out a ditto, it doesn't turn into a Water pokemon or whatever, it changes to a Charizard; the same pokemon.

Also another trouble with ditto is when he changes... would he have the same colour as the person he is copies (with the blank face or something) I think that would cause a lot of confusion in matches.

phatJacob07

Smash Cadet
Well, if the Ditto were to be anything like the Charade model, Ditto would more than likely A: stay the same shape, or B: become a silhouette of the character, but retain his Ditto coloring/expression.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
_the_sandman_ said:
I know theres been enough topics relating to pokemon characters already. But some people kind of throw out some really unrealistic ideas for characters like Zapados being playable. Some have good ideas like Blaziken.

Ditto really should be a playable character. We're familiar with how he can transform into other characters, and that could add a lot to the gameplay. But he doesn't have to turn into other characters on the screen, he could turn into any character in the game randomly. The player won't have control of this of course. But for each stock Ditto could be a completely different character. Think of it, in a three stock match you could be Mario, then Pikachu, then Fox.

Of course Ditto will keep his pink skin and goofy face when he transforms.

Now I say this because one time I was playing in a Soul Calibur 2 tournament, and I got to the quarter-finals. I versed a kid who used Charade, if you didn't guess hes a character that becomes anyone randomly. And that kid beat me and won the tournament.

So if Ditto really became a character, players who want a real challenge could pick him. They would have to master/know each character. And to use Ditto seriously would be an honor because that would prove you are ridiculously good at the game.

I'm adding my votes for Ditto any way I can. I hope someone else does too because he really should become a character for this game.
I think that's a good idea. Ditto would be like Charade from Soul Calibur, or Mokujin from Tekken.

echo419

Smash Rookie
Soanevalck said:
oh sure, so then ditto could possibly change right when your in the middle of a combo or right when you're about to perform a finishing move, leaving you vulnerable and making your opponent start a combo on you/finish you off, yes, what a great char that would be, i'd love to have a ditto like that instead of Eliwood, Sonic, Diddy Kong, etc., because i'd rather have a char that copies other chars, instead of a char with his own original gameplay

if they can put ditto in, they can put a better char in

no no no your not listening he doesnt change on a time interval he changes everytime you spawn after a death for instance you start out and your a fox copy, after a while you get killed and respawn as a mario copy so you have to be good at every char to be good with him much like charade in sc2 i think its a super idea i think it would be challanging to master but once mastered you would pwn so hard it would be amazing

behind the ditto 110% d---^_^---b

mood4food77

Smash Hero
OMG, I THOUGHT OF THIS IDEA FIRST!!!! YOU STOLE MY GREAT IDEA!!!!, how ever you thought of the same exact concept as i did for ditto being a character is really weird but really, he would be a cool character to use, changing after each stock, but has a slightly higher chance of turning into the opponent's character, it's not much higher but slightly higher

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
It would be better of Ditto transformed into what the opponent is.

In a 1v1 match, I think Ditto would be a great idea, it would bring many new dimensions to counter picking, and could even make low tier characters feasible because if your opponent picks ditto, and it's your counter pick, then you could pick Ness and totally own because you have Ness skill and they don't because they're a high tier *****.

In more than 2 matches, it would be a random pick of the characters on screen.

Or even better, if you memorise what places a character spawns or assigning a direction for each number player, or something you could hold b and left/right/up/down to choose at the start like Sheik.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
mood4food77 said:
OMG, I THOUGHT OF THIS IDEA FIRST!!!! YOU STOLE MY GREAT IDEA!!!!, how ever you thought of the same exact concept as i did for ditto being a character is really weird but really, he would be a cool character to use, changing after each stock, but has a slightly higher chance of turning into the opponent's character, it's not much higher but slightly higher

Great minds think alike I guess. Everyone, keep voting for Ditto on that one japanese site! Give Ditto a surviving chance against Sonic and Megaman!

emcp7

Smash Apprentice
it would be cool if you could choose like 4 characters to turn into beforehand, and use the d-pad to choose each one. you'd have to hold it down for like 5-10 seconds before you actually change but its an immediate transformation. i like it at least.

Conker1

Smash Ace
Ditto would be great, he wouldn't take much space either. He would have a what, a select screen pic, a DITTO announcer sound, and a victory dance. He would take up very little space, so you wouldn't have to worry about him taking another character's place.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Xemnas said:
I dont like that idea. Kirby is all we need for any form of imitation.
And Samus is all we need for projectile using characters. We don't want a roster full of projectile using characters.

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
Darn Mic 128 beat me to the snarky reply. *Shakes fist

I guess it would be a less true to form to not have Ditto immitate his immediate opponent, but SSB is always taking some liberties with the characters and I would like random immitation to be one of them. Personally, I find a lot of mirror matches are painfully boring (JP, Peach, etc). It could have interesting effects in FFA with Ditto transforming after being hit, but I think in 1:1 it would be a bit boring.

jpwalker123

Smash Apprentice
I dont think ditto should be in becasue he would be almost the same as kirby. Ditto also cant be kirby's opposite becasuse Blackknight is now going to be i think.

Anther

Smash Champion
jpwalker123 said:
I dont think ditto should be in becasue he would be almost the same as kirby. Ditto also cant be kirby's opposite becasuse Blackknight is now going to be i think.
That's a very well thought out reply >_<.

If you read any posts in the topic, you'd realize that he's nothing like Kirby XD.

How come whenever I imagine Megaman in the game my stomach starts to feel sick =P?

RJSR

Smash Rookie
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ditto suxors. how dare you soil this page with those thoughts

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Yeah, Kirby only copies one move. And that move doesn't even change any of his stats. In fact when Kirby sucks them up he could just shoot them out making the copy move into a shooting move.

Ditto on other hand changes completely before you decide who to copy whether they are on the screen or not. He gets all of their moves and their stats. Kirby just gets one move.

I mean yeah Ditto is pink like Kirby. But you can always change their colors. You could make Ditto BLUE if you wanted to!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ditto should come out of a pokeball, turn into one of the selectable characters and do a supermove toward the nearest oppenent (aka Link's omnislash or Mario's fire barrage)

~omega~

Smash Apprentice
umm.... If they put ditto in ssbb and he had the ability to become any character he would obv be god tier... and everybody would play him... and he would prolly be banned from tournaments

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
This could clearly be fixed by letting him ONLY become characters that he's fighting against

I'll say it again, I'd rather see doopliss then ditto.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Smash G 0 D said:
Here is my response to your Ditto idea. No. It would ruin the flow of Smash. No further comments.
How about explaining why it "would ruin the flow of Smash"?

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
~omega~ said:
umm.... If they put ditto in ssbb and he had the ability to become any character he would obv be god tier... and everybody would play him... and he would prolly be banned from tournaments

Mewtwo, Pichu, Mr. Game and Watch, and Bowser for example, are pretty low on the tier list. If you were playing a serious match against a pro Sheik player, I'd think you'd have a hard time versing them. You could master every character in the game, but since there will probably be about 50 characters, the chances of being the best ones every time are small.

I doubt everyone would play as him seriously. I don't think too many people are willing to master every single character in the game.

Anther

Smash Champion
The only reason It hink that a character like this wouldn't be in the game is because of how overly popular it'd be. I know it'd probably be my primary pick in both none-competitive and competitive play, as I like the aspect of playing as a different character each stock.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
So it won't be in...because everyone would like it? Worst logic ever.

Anther

Smash Champion
Well, I already did my spill on why it'd be a perfect addition, I guess I did some soul searching for any reason I'd think they wouldn't add him in :X.. I could just see some designers not wanting a character like ditto cuz of the simple fact of .... shut up >=o!

ur mom has the worst logic evr ;;.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
It would be a relatively easy addition (considering how much work the others are, at least). And it's not going to take the place of other characters. And if you don't like him, you don't have to pick him. I don't know many people who play Charade in SC2 (the few in this thread that have said it are obviously not a representative sample). It would be a character for those who want to take risks, or who want to have fun in casual play. Plus, picking him would be the ultimate show of your knowledge of the game, and yet would not really break tournaments. The risk of ending up with a low-tier character would be too great.

And to the person above, I highly doubt there will be 50 characters in this game. I'd say they bring back the 25 from Melee and have 10 new characters at the absolute most. That's my estimate, at least. More characters would be super fun, though, but I just don't see it happening, especially if they want this game to be balanced and get it out in 2007.

Pete278

Smash Lord
I don't really like this idea. It just seems to random for me. But if he does keep his Ditto face, I'm all for it, since I love Ditto :D.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Pete278 said:
I don't really like this idea. It just seems to random for me. But if he does keep his Ditto face, I'm all for it, since I love Ditto :D.
He would have that sweet Ditto face. No one really cared about that surprisingly. But yeah, could you just imagine some of the characters with Ditto's face? That would be pretty funny. And instead of grunting or talking like some characters, he'd say "Ditto!"

mood4food77

Smash Hero
also, he could have a defect or an improvement when he changes too, like for example, he would never perfectly clone a character, he could accidently forget to copy the correct jump height of marth and jump higher than marth would, or his fsmash would be a bit weaker, that would add a little more twist to it

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
mood4food77 said:
also, he could have a defect or an improvement when he changes too, like for example, he would never perfectly clone a character, he could accidently forget to copy the correct jump height of marth and jump higher than marth would, or his fsmash would be a bit weaker, that would add a little more twist to it
If that did happen, maybe he could be a lot more floaty, like the anti gravity in Adventure mode against the wire frame. Or heavier too. It could work both ways, it could either make him too powerful or weaker than the "original".

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
Ditto actually exists in a poke ball in SSBM, you just need action replay and all he does is make a sound like "moma!" and disappears. :p

Top Bottom