• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ditto added in SSBB

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
I know theres been enough topics relating to pokemon characters already. But some people kind of throw out some really unrealistic ideas for characters like Zapados being playable. Some have good ideas like Blaziken.

Ditto really should be a playable character. We're familiar with how he can transform into other characters, and that could add a lot to the gameplay. But he doesn't have to turn into other characters on the screen, he could turn into any character in the game randomly. The player won't have control of this of course. But for each stock Ditto could be a completely different character. Think of it, in a three stock match you could be Mario, then Pikachu, then Fox.

Of course Ditto will keep his pink skin and goofy face when he transforms.

Now I say this because one time I was playing in a Soul Calibur 2 tournament, and I got to the quarter-finals. I versed a kid who used Charade, if you didn't guess hes a character that becomes anyone randomly. And that kid beat me and won the tournament.

So if Ditto really became a character, players who want a real challenge could pick him. They would have to master/know each character. And to use Ditto seriously would be an honor because that would prove you are ridiculously good at the game.

I'm adding my votes for Ditto any way I can. I hope someone else does too because he really should become a character for this game.

Navajo7

Smash Rookie
ditto is more of a meh. he should be the random select like he comes on the map and like you can walk around and you like push A and he randomly transform and B to copy the same person as one of the opponents

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Meh, doesn't do anything for me. Realistically, the only new Pokémon they add will be ones that are popular in the anime / popular in Japan. Plus that type of random character just sorta rubs me the wrong way. Just use random select and voilà.

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
Wow, an actual well thought out idea about a new character. I'd say we're more likely to see a playable Fighting Wire Frame/Polygon as a playable character that randomly changes. Either way, awesome points to you.

Soanevalck

Smash Ace
ditto would be a waste, i'd rather have an original char than one that copies others

think of it, if ditto is a playable char, he might take the place of other potential chars you might want to see in the game

a random char select is a much better option

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
I think you guys misunderstand his idea. Ditto would randomly change after each stock lost, or possibly at total random in the middle of a match. Not only would this fit it great with the chaotic party games aspect, but it'll also be a challenge for the serious players.

Soanevalck

Smash Ace
...as i have said, if he doesnt have his own moveset that he can use when he's not transformed, then he's a pointless char, and if he is like that, he would most likely make kirby unplayable

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Garath331 said:
I think you guys misunderstand his idea. Ditto would randomly change after each stock lost, or possibly at total random in the middle of a match. Not only would this fit it great with the chaotic party games aspect, but it'll also be a challenge for the serious players.

I'm glad some people can understand my views. And I don't think Ditto would take away from the game at all. Random select lets you know who you're using before the match even starts and you're stuck with them. Ditto is random all the time, keeping opponents on their toes as well as the player themself.

Phlippie

Smash Cadet
No, I'd rather press the 'random character' button on the character selection screen

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Garath331 said:
No, no, I understand it full well. The comparison to Charade was something that I caught on to. But I just don't like the idea. There are much better characters to include, and better Pokémon at that. Nothing against him or his ideas, I just say no.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Garath331 said:
Yes! Yes! Yes!
Ditto FTW!
Even just making him as a random char would be good enough, since the current random system lets everyone know who I'm using. But having him change EVERY stock? Now that's an Idea!
Although I might have to jump off the cliff if I get a bottom tier... lol jk I use bottom tiers too

Soanevalck

Smash Ace
oh sure, so then ditto could possibly change right when your in the middle of a combo or right when you're about to perform a finishing move, leaving you vulnerable and making your opponent start a combo on you/finish you off, yes, what a great char that would be, i'd love to have a ditto like that instead of Eliwood, Sonic, Diddy Kong, etc., because i'd rather have a char that copies other chars, instead of a char with his own original gameplay

if they can put ditto in, they can put a better char in

phish-it

Smash Champion
Hmm, what if you could control the transformation, but not the character transformed? Say you press something like L+R+A simaltaneously and he/she/it would go transform into the character. Of course there would be a pause like Zelda/sheik.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
I actually like it. Sure there's random select but that gives you a random character to use for the entire match. The idea of having to use a new character after a Fall appeals to me.

Keta

Smash Journeyman
I think Ditto would be much better as a pokemon in a pokeball. Ditto comes out and sits there for about 5-10s? and if he gets hit, the attacker lags while ditto changes forms and does the same attack back to that person.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Instead of Ditto being in it it could be a polygon character as Garath331 said earlier. But I personally like Ditto because he has such a weird expression on his face and his color would clearly show that he is Ditto.

As for a pokeball I don't know if that would work too well. Because either it'll be like Nana from Iceclimber or Wobbafette from the pokeball.

KyUuKyUu

Smash Ace
Hopefully far away from anybody who wants to know
It'd be the cause of some pretty funny stuff if Ditto could change uncontrollably at random intervals, causing you to Bowser Bomb instead of Shinespike :p It sounds cool, but honestly I'd rather have more new characters than one that could turn into others. Maybe it could be a game mode where everybody's a ditto, that'd be cool.

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
I'd personally rather see a character like Doopliss then ditto. Doopliss (Paper Mario) already has a move set for use, and for fairnees, would only be able to copy other characters playing.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
It seems like some of you don't like the idea that Ditto would take up a spot in the character list, leaving out a possible better character. But think of this, when melee first came out weren't some of you disappointed that there were 6 clone characters? I always though they could give Ganon a sword or Young Link Deku Nuts. But time has passed and everyone is okay with these clone characters.

So with Ditto literally being clones of any characters, I think people would end up being fine with him in time. And eventually (if he is in the game) pro players could really be admired for using a character who is any character.

ForestSage

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, I think Ditto would be a great character.

Though with some different ideas.

Instead of tranforming randomly, he's his own character. And say for his neutral b he'll only copy his enemy's complete set of b moves, or a moves (like all of the enemy's b > <, B-down, b-up or all their tilts and smashes.) while having his own unique set of the other one. Then while he's not copying anyone he just has as recovery move but nothing else, If even that.

Oh well, just a thought.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Garath331 said:
Wow, an actual well thought out idea about a new character. I'd say we're more likely to see a playable Fighting Wire Frame/Polygon as a playable character that randomly changes. Either way, awesome points to you.
Using an Action Replay, you can play as the Wire Frames on Melee. You wouldnt want to play as them. They really, really, really, really suck.
I'd personally rather see a character like Doopliss then ditto. Doopliss (Paper Mario) already has a move set for use, and for fairnees, would only be able to copy other characters playing.
Dooplis would be awesome!!!

primusfan

Smash Ace
_the_sandman_ said:
The Wireframe characters were pretty bad in melee. But in the first game they were all of the characters with all of their moves. Well maybe they weren't that bad in cruel melee.... -_-
The thing is that they're not very strong and they have no B Button move.

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
These clone characters are put into fighting games because they take comparitively little time to create. Therefore the argument that if Ditto is put in he would come at the cost of another playable character is mute,it's not 1:1 (like say Snake over a Nintendo character).

Personally, it seems like a natural fit to the nature of SSB. Actually, it was brought up as a possibility for SSBM and it made sense then too. I think it would be a nice feature. I would rather have Ditto than another twist mode like coin mode, which is a more accurate estimate of time investment than a completely new character creation.

cheeseguy

Smash Ace
I actually thought of this idea myself a while ago, getting the idea from Charade. I try to get good with all or most of the characters in every game I play. Charade is my main in SCII, and I'd probably play as Ditto a lot in SSBB if he was put in like this.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Ditto would be good. And all of those complaining about him taking up a "better" characters slot, if all Ditto does is change into others, he's not going to be taking up much space at all, is he?

gil

Smash Rookie
Tell you the truth, when read the topic, i thought... dee dee dee!!! but after reading the stock idea i do actually think it sounds interesting, but, i doubt nintendo would ever do anything like this, good thought though

lvl9

Smash Journeyman
That is the best idea Ive seen about the game yet. I was hoping for "OMFG" moves and I got them. Maybe this will happen too. (crosses fingers)

grayfox

Smash Champion
Kirby=the copy character of smash. It's his purpose in the character selection as a unique character as is ice climbers as theres two of them. Having ditto in the game would make Kirby's role void and as he's one of the originals and is in the trailer as one of the originals i can't see this happening. Also, theres enough pokemon as it is and they will most likely wanna fill more pokemon spaces with cooler characters than ditto.

Nigzel

Smash Ace
Ditta already was (and is, using debug) in Melee. He wasn't even good enough to be a item out of a pokeball!

No Ditto, please!

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Ditto would be beneficial to either the serious players or the casuals.It would be fun to have a random character, but having it change every stock wouldn't work well with the Advance Slob system of counterpicking.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
_the_sandman_ said:
It seems like some of you don't like the idea that Ditto would take up a spot in the character list, leaving out a possible better character.
Technically if he would just turn into any character (but pink and maybe with a wierd face or something) then it wouldn't take that much time to program or even much space on the disc. Since they can make it so it's just that char but pink. And I like the one guys idea of you can change whenever you want by pressing L+R+A+B or something, but you don't have a choice who you become. This would be interesting if it were to happen rather quickly (faster than Zelda/Sheik but still some lag) which means you could see someone pull off some sick cross character combos. It would also be tough to counter him. I think the only thing is that if you can change whenever you want people will change until the get a better character. Like in Melee if we had Ditto then people would change as fast as possible until they got Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik/Peach etc instead of Pichu. Only way to solve that is to limit the number of changes you can do in a certain timeframe. Like no more than 2 in 30 seconds or something. IDK

I like it, simple to program and would be a neat addition, but if he wasn't in it I wouldn't complain.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
grayfox said:
Kirby=the copy character of smash.
Sort of. Kirby's Ability is he can copy ONE move. It's not random at all, which is what Ditto would be, transforming after every death into a diferent character after evert stick. Kirby still has his power of stealing a move.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
I dont like that idea. Kirby is all we need for any form of imitation. We dont need a potential slow filled up with a useless "random" type of character. I'd rather have + 1unique one.

Top Bottom