• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

District 9

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Why is this at all unrealistic?
It's not like all the humans had to go on was books written in alien language, or wall paintings with writing on them. It was two intelligent species, both with the ability for complex verbal communication. Imagine putting together two groups of people; one that speaks English, and another that speaks Russian. You honestly believe that, after 20 years, they still wouldn't have more or less learned the majority of each others languages? Or say, put group of Spanish speakers with some indigenous African tribe that speaks in clicks; 20 years would be more than enough time to learn most of the other language. Besides, it's not like everybody was fluent. I'm sure that the the majority of humans didn't understand the alien language; just the ones who dealt with them or lived near them. Similarly, it's not like every alien could speak/understand English fluently. As the movie showed, many of them didn't know it at all; many of them didn't understand it very well ("what is eviction?"). Besides, the understandings and misunderstandings of language are part of what make the satire/humor in the movie so great.
Even a comparison to a human language that involves clicks seems fallacious to me. While I suppose I could believe that 20 years is enough time to learn an indigenous African language from the ground up, I find it harder to believe an alien language with no familiar sounds or structure that basically requires a completely different anatomy to speak could be picked up that quickly since neither species is actually even physically capable of speaking the other's language. Even if I spend years around the aliens and think I have figured out a certain few phrases or concepts, I would be incapable of getting any kind of confirmation from the aliens. They can't say the word "yes" or "correct" even if they were capable of learning what I mean when I say those words. They would have to click in a way that I would then further interpret to be "yes." I think this would HAVE to result in a lot more misinterpretation at the very least. With that said, I'm no linguistics major. I just know that I found the clarity of communication that Wikus and Christopher enjoyed to be very difficult to swallow, even with their minor mistakes.

Remember it fell in the beginning? And nobody from Earth even went near the thing for a while, and once they did, it probably would have been mass chaos trying to round up and house the aliens. This would have given Christopher, who is extremely intelligent and also physically capable, and his friend(s), more than enough time to bury the craft.
I don't doubt their ability to hide the craft. I doubt their ability to keep it hidden for that long. Considering how closely MNU was watching District 9, it seems impossible to me that they wouldn't have found that at some point. It was just under a trap door.

Yeah, this is very sci-fi, but how can you say "Come on"? I'm sure you wouldn't expect complete realism from a sci fi movie. It's supposed to be sci-fi. That's the whole point. And the movie's entire premise is based around this point.
I'm completely aware of this. You act as if I didn't know I was going to see a movie about aliens. You'll notice that I have no problem with the actual presence of aliens being in the movie, nor the concept of their weaponry being infused with their DNA as a sort of fingerprint technology, nor the unfathomable odds that our planet is actually similar enough to the planet the aliens come from to support them. These are things that come with the territory.

Independent of all of that, the side effect of the fluid is completely arbitrary and is an obvious and relatively shoddily put together plot mover. They needed something to turn the main character into an alien, so they had him squirt himself with alien juice. There's no reason outside of the purposes of the story that it should have had that kind of effect. It's essentially just fuel. Even if it's fuel that has alien DNA in it, it's a bit of a stretch since the Nigerians were apparently eating alien body parts all the time and they weren't changing at all. At best, this is a contrived plot device, and at worst, it's a plot hole.

As you said, it is a sci-fi movie, and for the purposes of the movie, I was forced to accept it and allow it to be what it is. But like I said, it required some serious suspension of disbelief.

That's a lotta black bars.

Jane

Smash Hero
did anyone else think it was basically prawns + mutant vs white people vs black people? xD i was laughing about that the whole second half of the movie hahaha.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Even a comparison to a human language that involves clicks seems fallacious to me. While I suppose I could believe that 20 years is enough time to learn an indigenous African language from the ground up, I find it harder to believe an alien language with no familiar sounds or structure that basically requires a completely different anatomy to speak could be picked up that quickly since neither species is actually even physically capable of speaking the other's language. Even if I spend years around the aliens and think I have figured out a certain few phrases or concepts, I would be incapable of getting any kind of confirmation from the aliens. They can't say the word "yes" or "correct" even if they were capable of learning what I mean when I say those words. They would have to click in a way that I would then further interpret to be "yes." I think this would HAVE to result in a lot more misinterpretation at the very least. With that said, I'm no linguistics major. I just know that I found the clarity of communication that Wikus and Christopher enjoyed to be very difficult to swallow, even with their minor mistakes.
Didn't they have a translator or some type? If that's the case, it'd be very easy for them to adapt. Again, it was 20 years, and the humans have been working with them daily since then. It's not like we just adapted to them instantly; it took time. There was a prequel called "Alive in Joberg." It's worth watching, and it may answer your questions.

I still consider this action movie of the year.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
@the debate about the transformation
It is possible for the transformation to work but, olny if the fluid contains enough viruses containing the DNA of the aliens. That is how genetic engineering works as of today.

haha, uh, yeah... BLACK gang members. lol
There were black MNU soldiers to. The fact that the gang members were black had nothing to do with it.

Jane

Smash Hero
had nothing to do with what? i was just saying that that's what it SEEMED like. you know, as a joke? haha..

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
@the debate about the transformation
It is possible for the transformation to work but, olny if the fluid contains enough viruses containing the DNA of the aliens. That is how genetic engineering works as of today.

There were black MNU soldiers to. The fact that the gang members were black had nothing to do with it.
SPOILER TAGS
Like this

Don't give away things for people who haven't seen it yet.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Best ****ing movie of my life. It was astounding. I nearly teared up at the end. Sucks my parents didnt like it though..... I swear I just came out of the theater right now... I wished I knew
if christopher whatever came back to help that guy(I didnt understand his name what was it?)
so so sad... btw wouldnt that go against every right weve established by housing aliens forcibly?

Amakir

Smash Rookie
Well a very good movie. Good plot, good characters, good action. I came out of the theatre with a tear in my eye.

When i read about the movie at wikipedia the director said that if the movie were sicsesful enough they would probaly make a sequel. I don´t like the idea of a sequel to the movie becouse the ending levas everything to the watcher.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I dunno Id like a sequel. Im one of those people who just hate being left on a cliffhanger. I wish I knew what happened after all that. But if they make a sequel will it be connected to the first movie or will it be one all on its own? Because maybe if it isnt I might not watch it. MIGHT

Jane

Smash Hero
i think i'd enjoy a prequel more than a sequel. i agree with Amakir about the sequel, but a prequel explaining more about the prawns would be awesome.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I enjoyed it, I'm definately going to get it when it comes out on dvd in time for christmas.

A lot of people are nitpicking on tiny little things I've noticed, like Wikus and the canister bit at the start, and the swearing. The canister bit can just be put down to "it's alien" and the swearing wasn't even a problem. Btw do they beep out swear words on tv in America? Cause after 9 o'clock watershed they don't over here.

Also I've noticed that there's no in between opinion for this film. Me and my friend Ciaran loved it but my other friend Jordan wasn't that impressed.

Jane

Smash Hero
Also I've noticed that there's no in between opinion for this film.
i was in between lol.

the action was awesome, the story was alright too. but there were a lot of "lol wut..." moments for me.

especially since i watched this movie like two days after inglorious basterds, i was still being blown away by that masterpiece.

so yeah, i'm pretty in between with this movie, but i would definitely go watch it again.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
inglourious basterds was sooooooooooooooo goooood. I want to see this

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Its weird. I loved it but my father went to sleep in the middle of it(seriously how can someone go to sleep with all the loyd explosives) and my fathers girlfriend nearly went ti sleep.... Im at a loss here they said the storyline was too cheesy...

Jane

Smash Hero
haha roach i know how you feel, almost every time i go to the movies with my dad he goes to sleep. but he's a hard working man so i understand.

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
how is the film?
im working at a cinema, but i still found no time to watch. The few sequences i saw while selling ice or smth looked good, the pictures did also. Is it worth watching? I like sci -fi in general.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
it's a good watch.
great concept, cool effects, not a terrible plot.
4/5 from me...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Just got back from seeing it.

It truly captured every bit of attention from me. I absolutely loved this film.

Verdict? Do everything you can to go see this movie. You cannot be disappointed.
This must be like, the one thing, where we have completely contrasting opinions. :/

I can use spoiler tags too!

Peeze

Smash Master
Its weird. I loved it but my father went to sleep in the middle of it(seriously how can someone go to sleep with all the loyd explosives) and my fathers girlfriend nearly went ti sleep.... Im at a loss here they said the storyline was too cheesy...
That's understandable, the beginning was slow, but it picked up.

Top Bottom