• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussing Zelda's weaknesses - Topic: Character Approaching: #5 Wario

What do you think is Zelda's biggest weakness?

• Total voters

MrEh

Smash Hero
- Things MKs commonly do that we might be able to punish on approach
Nothing. Unless we count not spacing as a common mistake, but it is a very uncommon sight against better players.

most MKs know they can do pretty much whatever they want, so they have a tendency to get a bit over-aggro at times....
Maybe those scrub MKs.

Even when MK is aggro against Zelda, Zelda fares poorly at defending herself, and MK would have to make a BIG mistake in order to be heavily punished. Even slightly misspaced aerials or tilts are still difficult to punish. Like, the only way Zelda can punish MK is if MK is not spacing entirely, and spacing should be second nature to anything with a sword.

- Best moves to approach with
A shield. Seriously.

- Moves you should never try to approach with
spurtz said:
Teleport attack - Might work once or twice and misses easily if your not used to it and easily punishable if the opponent uses a fast character or didn't freak out hehe. But I would wait for him to go on the offensive first, so that my teleport hits from his back, then grab + up.
Self explanitory.

- Options vs. Planker Knights
Shoot Dins. As sad as it sounds, Zelda can't do anything else.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@"A shield": And then what? What's the best thing to do OOS?

I should ask Bobby to come in here and explain how he approaches MKs. Since he's obviously winning against some.

Or Riot. Or AzN. Or Mars. Come on, people, don't be shy.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Depends on what he hits you with. If MK decides he's going to put up a wall of retreating aerials, then attempting to challenge that is won't get anywhere; he obviously has too much range. MK will have to make a mistake in order for Zelda to even touch him. This is the big problem with MK; you're reliant on him not spacing or reading his swings entirely in order to get hits in.

My usual options in punishing involve a lot of Dtilts, but OoS aerials also work if you know they will hit. OoS Usmash is an option as well provided the positioning is correct. The important thing is to understand is if the punish is worth going for. Because again, getting hit due to overextending is really bad.

JuJux

Smash Apprentice
As MrEh says, Shield is the best way to approach him lol, mix up with some dash grabs.
I mix up QDA OOS, Dash grab OOS (or shield grab :/ ..), Dsmash OOS, Dtilt OOS (I know it's just a buffer after shielding and not an OOS), Usmash OOS or SH Bair OOS if he's behind me, depending on how close he is to me.
Perfect shield is your best friend here ...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I....

I lost interest in running this thread, tbh, lol! ;; If somebody wants to take it over, be my guest.

In the meantime, it might be nice if we discussed approaching Olimar a bit.... I know mountain wanted some advice on that.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Okay cool grey you are now the official thread owner...

treat it well!

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Gotta love that new second post...

On-topic: So, what'll happen now GreyFox? Is the discussion going to carry on where it was left off? (a.k.a. how to approach Olimar)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I....

I lost interest in running this thread, tbh, lol! ;; If somebody wants to take it over, be my guest.

In the meantime, it might be nice if we discussed approaching Olimar a bit.... I know mountain wanted some advice on that.
**** kaylo thought you would of done it longer than for a week what a shame.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
My laziness is practically world-renowned by now...... and I'm a Gemini. You do the math.

I vote we at least discuss Olimar a little, mostly because I feel guilty for dropping this before we got to him for mountain. ;-;

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
My laziness is practically world-renowned by now...... and I'm a Gemini. You do the math.

I vote we at least discuss Olimar a little, mostly because I feel guilty for dropping this before we got to him for mountain. ;-;
Don't worry about it. Snake and Mk are both difficult for me to approach too.

Whenever I try and approach Olimar, I always get pivot grabbed before I get close to within range. :embarrass The only Olimar I've ever won against was a noob who didn't know what DI was (40-death combo with DTilt x 13 > DSmash). Any Olimars that are semi-good are difficult for me to even touch... :mad:

And if anything, your most well-renowned trait is constantly facepalming your brains out. :bee:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

I don't know what you being a gemini has to do with laziness I'm not into the astrology stuff. But it's whatever I guess at least you put in on the right track and got the ball rolling.

I'm not sure the approach for different character is going to change too much. Walk to shield or Dash to Shield. Empty shorty Hops. SH AD just gotta mix it up use platforms and such etc.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'm not sure the approach for different character is going to change too much. Walk to shield or Dash to Shield. Empty shorty Hops. SH AD just gotta mix it up use platforms and such etc.
If you walk/dash > shield vs. characters with good pivot grabs (like..... say..... OLIMAR, who we're discussing right now), you'll get *****. Yoshi is another character your strategy doesn't work on. Peach as well since she pressures shields like a mother****er. (There are more, I'm just giving you a few examples to prove my point.)

Sorry, but you're wrong. Approaching isn't the same vs. every character. Get over it and contribute, or don't post until the next topic rolls around.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Since we are talking about Olimar, I would like to put in my two cents about this.

Olimar will camp you hard. He has nothing to lose in this matchup. From my experience in this, approaching on the ground or air is close to impossible. Honestly you have to play opposite against him. If he is on the ground your in the air and vice versa. At any time you don't get pivot grabbed by him is good for you. I'm not sure how else your supposed to get in on him and his campy ways. :urg::urg::urg:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I have never fought a good Olimar as Zelda before... Just a thought, what if you use Ftilt? It turns an already huge hitbox into an even bigger one should it hit.

Yea I'm pretty useless since I have no knowledge about that small ba*****.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Zelda is the best **** character if your oppenent doesn't know what they are doing. I just picked her up again after dropping her and i realized why i liked her so much in the first place, she is soooooooooooooo fun to play with.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Why thank you for telling us that in a thread about Zelda's weaknesses.

Elder Sister

Smash Lord
haha lol@^

tbqh, i dont have much experience with oli, but the ones i fought so far ***** me hard :ohwell:
but i have to agree with grey. also mindgames are your best friends.
hope someone with more experience can contribute to this.

JuJux

Smash Apprentice
I always hesitate hugely before posting here :/ ... because of the difference between european and american metagames about some characters :dizzy: especially for characters like Olimar.

Against campy olimar I camp so hard at middle/far distance ... I just watch out for pikmins he's throwing and reflect white and purple pikmins (and I dodge or Nair the other pikmins).
Reflecting white and purple pikmins forces olimar to use his shield/DownB, and you can try some approaches with dash attack or dash grab (this is why it's important not to be TOO far from olimar.). And if he doesn't shield or DownB :
If the purple pikmin touches him : this is your best opportunity to approach him, don't pass it up, srly lol.
If he runs towards you with a white pikmin on him to dash grab : Throw a din to the ground, with good timing, even if you're grabbed, your Din passes on and explodes before he has the time to throw you (really hard to do i know.).

You can mindgame other unsafe approaches like SHAD'ing Dtilt (lock ?) to dsmash when he's trying to pivot grab you, but the timing is REALLY STRICT. Use it just as a mindgame, if it works you can take a stock off to olimar.

If you HIT HIM ONCE !, do your best to never let him camp again before he loses his stock lol.

Oh ! YOU CAN APPROCH OLIMAR EASILY !
If he's tripping LOLOLOL ... >.o ..

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Zelda is the best **** character if your oppenent doesn't know what they are doing. I just picked her up again after dropping her and i realized why i liked her so much in the first place, she is soooooooooooooo fun to play with.
Please keep it topic related. Otherwise I'm gonna have to report you. I don't really wanna have to do that to you sir. :)

@JuJux: You know I've tried reflecting the White/Purple ones back at him. They always seem to get caught by the blades of Nayru's thus either killing the poor thing or giving it a crappy return. Though I dont think I've returned one in full back at him. Hmmmm

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
If you walk/dash > shield vs. characters with good pivot grabs (like..... say..... OLIMAR, who we're discussing right now), you'll get *****. Yoshi is another character your strategy doesn't work on. Peach as well since she pressures shields like a mother****er. (There are more, I'm just giving you a few examples to prove my point.)

Sorry, but you're wrong. Approaching isn't the same vs. every character. Get over it and contribute, or don't post until the next topic rolls around.
Did you read my whole post or just jump down my throat after the first sentence?

@Jujux don't be afraid to post even if the metagames are different it's still helpful for you to post. I mean shaya is from Australia and he's still a prominent poster in the Marth boards. So post to your hearts content.

JuJux

Smash Apprentice

@JuJux: You know I've tried reflecting the White/Purple ones back at him. They always seem to get caught by the blades of Nayru's thus either killing the poor thing or giving it a crappy return. Though I dont think I've returned one in full back at him. Hmmmm
WTF ? You kill pikmins with Naryu's Oo ? ... wow.. xD. They always are reflected when i use it xD !

A crappy return ?
the white pikmin has a really good trajectory to be reflected ON olimar.
the purple one is hard to reflect on olimar because of its short trajectory, that why I've said that you shouldn't be TOO far from olimar.
NEVER TRY TO REFLECT A YELLOW PIKMIN D: !!! xD

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Sucks that both of my characters are heavily electricity based..... yellow pikmin are the WORST.

I never use Zelda vs. Olimar, so I can't contribute much, but I will say that his pikmin attacks (smashes, ftilt, etc.) have very low priority all-around from what I remember. They get clanked or beaten by pretty much everything.

Not really helpful since it's mainly his grab that's the problem, but. *shrug*

Also, if you're lucky, you can intentionally use his pikmin to extend your hitboxes (a la the pillars on Brinstar). Occasionally useful for mindgame bait + approaches but that's about it.

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
Wait, why shouldn't you try and reflect yellows? Aren't the blue ones the ones that sail through Nayru's?

JuJux

Smash Apprentice
Wait, why shouldn't you try and reflect yellows?
Because yellow Pikmins have a really weird trajectory and are really slow.
Even if you reflect a yellow one, it has little chance to reach Olimar. And Olimar grabs you after the naryu's without damage lol.

Aren't the blue ones the ones that sail through Nayru's?
Dunno. I reflect only purple, white and red ones most of the time lol.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Reflecting Pikmin? With Zelda?

Surely someone here has not played a good Olimar, otherwise they would understand how silly that sounds.

jk

But seriously, it's a joke. Olimar's gonna grab you when you reflect it anyway.

JuJux

Smash Apprentice
This is why I said : just reflect white ones most of the time and purples ones sometimes lol.
If olimar wants to grab you with a white pikmin on him, let him do it lololol...

Srly, i'm not saying that reflecting pikmins is THE solution LoL ! I'm just saying that it's a good deal against really campy lolimars to rack up some damage, to force him to approach or to approach him if he's hit by a purple pikmin. To me, countering an Olimar who's approaching is easier than approaching to hit him.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
YES! I've been looking forward to this discussion for a long time now. We could also apply this to the Zelda vs Olimar discussion when it shows up. All I know in this match is that Zelda's Nair eats Pikmin but I would love to know more. Usually when I try to approach him, he just tries to pivot grab me =/

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If olimar wants to grab you with a white pikmin on him, let him do it lololol...
Seriously? @.@ That's a horrible tradeoff.

White pikmin do the most latch damage, but you'll still end up taking more damage, and you'll be thrown into a bad position.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Getting grabbed with white Pikmin? That's no laughing matter. Seen the pummels on those things? And you're in the air. Instant positioning advantage to Olimar.

To me, countering an Olimar who's approaching is easier than approaching to hit him.
Um....yeah?

But guess what? Olimar won't be approaching you. If Olimar is approaching you, then you are not playing good Olimars.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
That's so true. I have a really hard time knowing what he wants to do. Especially when he's charging smashes. I'll go to jump over an Fsmash only to get tagged by an Usmash.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Getting grabbed with white Pikmin? That's no laughing matter. Seen the pummels on those things? And you're in the air. Instant positioning advantage to Olimar.
He meant reflecting a white pikmin onto Olimar so that Oli'll be getting latch damage while he comes in to grab you (forcing him to choose between grabbing you -- and taking white pikmin damage -- or getting the pikmin off ASAP).

Thing too is that I can never tell what he's doing half of the time or what color pikmin he's using at quick glance. <<;
This is what the Olimars told us when we did the Pika vs. Olimar discussion.....

He points with different hands. :urg: Not extremely useful, I know, but if you play with one enough, you'll start to know what to expect.

When he's charging smashes, he has different stances for each. Just gotta pay attention. =\

JuJux

Smash Apprentice
:/... I'm definitely not able to put into words my opinion about this match up... Above all when it's in English... So I'll just withdraw from this discussion lol.

KayLo! said:
Seriously? @.@ That's a horrible tradeoff.

White pikmin do the most latch damage, but you'll still end up taking more damage, and you'll be thrown into a bad position.
This is not "really" what I meant.

MrEh said:
Um....yeah?

But guess what? Olimar won't be approaching you. If Olimar is approaching you, then you are not playing good Olimars.
Same thing here.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Noooo, language barrier ftl. :( Now I really wanna know what you meant, lol.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I think I'm going to go with the easy option and pick Peach against him instead from now on...

Top Bottom