• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disc works on friend's Wii, but not mine

phokdapolees

Smash Rookie
I get constant disc read errors and the occasional "error, restart console" notification when playing my Melee disc on my Wii. However, the game runs perfectly on my friend's Wii, no disc read errors or anything. Does anyone know what the issue with my Wii is and how I could fix it? I got mine at launch and he got his a few years later, so that may be it.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
See if you get this issue with other gamecube games. If so, it's an issue with the Wii. You can try using compressed air or something to try to clean it out, but otherwise you'd have to take apart the Wii or something to clean the lens with a microfiber cloth. If other games work fine on your Wii, than it's the melee disc you have. If that's the case, try making sure the disc is as clean as possible otherwise consider picking up a new disc. I've had it at times where a gamecube game works in a gamecube but not a Wii, so if you still own a Gamecube, I would give that a try as well.

In the future, please ask technical related questions in the Technical Issue Q&A Thread

Twitchy

Smash Cadet
My Wii's disk drive or something is warped. I hear a loud revving sort of noise when playing disk games on it unless its propped up in sort of a slanted angel. I play exclusively on gamecube now because of this, as I'll often get disk-read errors if its not propped up just so.

Top Bottom