1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. Guest we need your help! The Smashboards rankings project has already archived hundreds of tournaments and thousands of players, but the project requires many people to review submissions and help improve results. If you are interested in helping keep Smash history send a message to Hylian!

3. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

4. Looking for the perfect gift for that Smasher in your life? Maybe even yourself? Use the Smashboards Store to get any awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo White Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

Disambiguating the term "JC shine"

Discussion in 'Falco' started by JiggsIsMyHero, Oct 31, 2006.

1. JiggsIsMyHero

JiggsIsMyHero Smash Cadet

Alright... I've seen quite a bit of talk lately on a technique wherein you shine multiple times on the ground by quickly jump-canceling your shine and then immediately shinecanceling your jump. What I mean is, you shine, jump out of it, but before your jump animation begins and you leave the ground you shine again, effectively leaving you on the ground still, and repeating this over and over. People have been calling this the JC shine, but in reality the JC shine is something totally different. JC shining is exactly what it says, it's jump-canceling out of a shine, and not doing what I described above. So, I say we start calling this new tech the "multi-shine" (which I've posted on a number of threads already) so that we don't get confused about which JC shine we're talking about when we use the term. So, if I want to say that one needs to use 10 shines via the multi-shine in order to break a shield, I would say "you need to multishine 10 times to break a shield" (which, btw, would be really f'in hard to do). Simple and precise, no?

LOL! What a silly thread... Sorry, but I'm a freak about precision, and one of the best aspects of SSBM chat is that every move has a unique name, so why make this case any different!?
  2. Zander805

Zander805 Smash Ace

Let's all do what you wanna do.
  3. A-Laon

A-Laon Smash Master

Yes, let's... seeing as it would cut down on the misuse of one of the most widely misunderstood terms.
  4. Truedge930

Truedge930 Smash Apprentice

Can we call it IGS "Infinite Ground Shine"?

I can see it now:

"OMG He IGS'd PWND HIM!!??!!!111!!"
  5. Zander805

Zander805 Smash Ace

Well I don't wanna call it that so I'm going to start a new thread and call Shine > JC > Shine a Zander Shine because I feel like it and it would, "cut down on the misuse of one of the most widely misunderstood terms."

If you guys want you can call it a ZS short for Zander Shine. Thanks.
  6. JiggsIsMyHero

Well, I don't really care what people start calling it... it could just as well be called the Fuzzy Pickle (God do I love Earthbound!), so long as it's given a unique name. I think multi-shine both captures the nature of the move and spares it having a name that is either inconsistent with or too similar to the existing body of smash terms, but whatev. Personally I think "Infinite Ground Shine" is a little too much like "Infinite Shine Combo" (chained waveshines ad infinitum with fox).
  7. JiggsIsMyHero

LOL! Either you're kidding or you're a total jerk.
  8. purekorea

purekorea Smash Journeyman

Nice being precise and all but theres already a name for multiple shines on the ground and it's stated as such on fox threads it is terms as a "Double Shine" since you are doing two shines and just repeating the process. If you want proof that this is the term used for that technique go to youtube.com and search double shine and its the first vid.
  9. Nike

Nike Smash Apprentice

double shine doesn't really make sense when the number of shine on the ground is odd. what are u gonna say when u shine>jc>shine>jc>shine? "I just 1.5 double shined!" No. Multishine would fit better, but i really don't care what is used as long as it is consistent and makes sense.
  10. Tipo mastr

Tipo mastr Smash Lord

telling people that my name is pronouced "Typ
    I agree, multi-shine is a much better term.
  11. fugito348

fugito348 Smash Journeyman

dats true but why would sumoen say he used JC shine to break his sheild or i JC shined 32 times!!! i think u can infer which way they are usin the term. if they really are using it wrong just correct them :)
  12. FalseFalco

FalseFalco Smash Master

I wrote a whole spiel about jump cancelling and how the term doesn't signify what is being cancelled and other stuff like that back in august:

13. Abulize

Abulize Smash Journeyman

I'm totally confused so could someone please clarify what a jc shine is and a 'multi-shine' is and give an example? I think there is a term for the 'multi-shine' with Fox up against a rock and you get them in an infinite just like purekorea said but I've heard of it as a shine infinite.
  14. xelad1

xelad1 Smash Ace

Ummmmm.... I think I actually am going to call it a fuzzy pickle thanks
  15. Nike

Nike Smash Apprentice

jump canceled shine (JC shine)
    shine>jump: cancels lag after shine
    Ex. falco shines fox on the ground, then jump cancels the shine and performs a bair.

"multishine" (Mshine)
    shine>jump>shine>jump>shine...: key difference between JC shine and Mshine is that in Mshine the player shines before falco begins his jump animation, thus allowing the player to repeatedly shine on the ground.
    Ex. falco shining repeatedly next to a shielding fox in an effort to break his shield.
  16. Gonzales

Gonzales Smash Journeyman

Here is an example of multi-shining/JC shining/whatever you want to call it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ovxWM9ou-VU
  17. Zander805

Zander805 Smash Ace

I think you mean "ZanderShine" (ZShine)
  18. JiggsIsMyHero

Muahahaha! My selfless naming and the fact that I thought of renaming the Mshine first will defeat your desire to have something named after you!
  19. Miharu

Miharu Smash Hero

I honestly don't think this matters compared to other things.

There are bigger fish to fry.
  20. Mogwai

Mogwai Smash Gizmo

I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
    well, sure, but there are other threads for other issues. I really don't think it hurts to kill the ambiguity in the stand alone term JC shine, so sure, mutlishine is fine with me, but as has already been said, the name doesn't really matter as long as it's unique.
  21. xelad1

xelad1 Smash Ace

i thought we agreed on fuzzy pickle
  22. DDRKirby(ISQ)

DDRKirby(ISQ) Smash Ace

its just really bad because when doing multiple shines on the ground w/out wavedashing you are cancelling shines with jumps -and- cancelling jumps with shines...

technically you might say that you're jump-cancelling jump-cancelled shines. :psycho:
  23. JiggsIsMyHero

Well, actually you'd be doing a jump canceled shine canceled jump (JCSCJ ;))
  24. bornfidelity.com

bornfidelity.com Smash Master

multishine would be the worst sounding term ever.
  25. Zander805

Zander805 Smash Ace

See? Bornfidelity likes ZanderShine, he knows what's up.
  26. Abulize

Abulize Smash Journeyman

What's faster, waveshining in place to break someone's shield or infinite shining or multi-shining or abu-shining :p ?

Edit: Technically isn't infinite shine/multi-shine/abu-shine just a rapid jc shine?
  27. JiggsIsMyHero

Awww man... THE Falco guide maker hates my term :(.
  28. Zander805

Zander805 Smash Ace

What do you expect? MultiShine vs. ZanderShine... Clearly an obvious pick.
  29. bornfidelity.com

bornfidelity.com Smash Master

i dont like zandershine either.

but since i already have the BF level of Suiciding, I can't name something else as well now can I?
    but maybe you should try MultiZanderShine. ^^
  30. Zander805

Zander805 Smash Ace

Hey BF, I bet I SD more than you. Ask CAOTIC, haha.
  31. purekorea

It doesnt matter if its odd. a double shine is the process of jc the first shine and then followed by another shine. so the first ones is double shined into the second which is now double shined into the third shine. Double shine doesn't mean its even or odd as long as it's more than one shine using the jc method.
  32. JiggsIsMyHero

Yeah, but the important point to make here is that you got this info off of the fox pages... and as we all know Falco players > Fox Players. We're smarter, wittier and more handsome, too. So it only makes sense that a Falco player get to pick out the name for this tech (and by that I mean a Falco player who is not Zander ^^).
  33. DDRKirby(ISQ)

DDRKirby(ISQ) Smash Ace

:laugh:

Then two in a row is what, a shine cancelled jump cancelled shine cancelled jump?
  34. Abulize

Abulize Smash Journeyman

How about sonic-shining or turbo-shining? Just throwing some ideas out there.
  35. Zander805

Zander805 Smash Ace

That's so messed up man. I thought we were friends...
  36. kidprecision

kidprecision Smash Apprentice

They are consecutive cancelled shines or repetitively cancelled shines.
  37. Nike

Nike Smash Apprentice

i kinda understand how ur using double shine, but one thing we have to remember is that this term must be universal. A noob hearing the term "double shine" is gunna think "hmmm that must be 2 shines." imo "multishine" is much easier for some1 hearing the term 4 the first time to understand it. Multishine (Mshine) it just makes sense.
  38. purekorea

When I heard it as a noob is made perfect sense, but if you guys really want multishine or what not who am I to try and change it.

p.s jiggsismyhero fox > falco =P
  39. Mogwai

Mogwai Smash Gizmo

I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
    that may be, but falco players > fox players. He's right, we are much wittier and handsomer.
  40. FalseFalco

FalseFalco Smash Master

He's right.

[​IMG]