• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disadvantages of Wiichuck

Cocochap

Smash Rookie
Hey, I know variants of this topic have been discussed on different accounts, but I wanted to ask some specific questions and get some (mature) feedback from people with experience.
I really don't want this thread to boil into heated responses regarding opinions, but rather I want to try to keep things somewhat factual so I can understand the actual controller differences and limitations.

So I've been using the Wiichuck control method for a very long time now, and as far as casual play is concerned, I had gotten quite efficient with it. It wasn't until I had looked up more advance tactics that I had never known before that I began wondering if the Wiichuck control method will eventually lead me to a dead end as far as overall potential.

After running some tests I found out that using the C button to short hop was exceptionally difficult when compared to the GCN controller, which caused me to rebind that button to another. I also wasn't sure if I was able to L cancel at all when using the Z button - does L-canceling not work with just the shield button? Or do you think I'm messing up the timing / circumstance? Another concern is the lack of a C stick, since I know that can be used as a way to "buffer" commands (If I understand the concept correctly).

Now I know that 99% of people here probably use the GCN controller (since it was the only control method in the original Melee), and of course have a preference for it. But I am simply curious if there is more to it than just an opinion, and there are actual reasons that Wiichuck may be an inferior control method in the long run.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I use the GCN control and have very little experience with the Wiimote/Nun-chuck combo, but I'm pretty sure you can L-cancel with the Z button on the nunchuck since that's a shield button iirc. You can also set the D-pad buttons on the Wiimote to perform smash attacks which works just like a c-stick in a sense.

Overall though, I feel like the Wiimote/Nun-chuck combo is inferior in the long run as the GCN control outclasses it. With the GCN it's easier to shield and L/R/Z-cancel, there's no input lag since it's wired and I just feel like it's more comfortable, although you might feel different on this. Those are just my two cents anyways.

Minor Pandemic

Smash Apprentice
I've seen a number of control system debates, and I think this one equates pretty closely to raw input vs. mouse acceleration in FPS games. While raw input is superior and is what anyone would recommend to a player learning the game, some people learned on mouse acceleration and, while a majority switch to raw input, some continue to use mouse acceleration and do so at a high level.

Point being: GCC is probably better, but if you're good with the Wiichuck and don't mind not having a Cstick (or remapping the dpad to be the cstick) then there is absolutely nothing wrong with continuing to use the Wiichuck

Cocochap

Smash Rookie
I've seen a number of control system debates, and I think this one equates pretty closely to raw input vs. mouse acceleration in FPS games. While raw input is superior and is what anyone would recommend to a player learning the game, some people learned on mouse acceleration and, while a majority switch to raw input, some continue to use mouse acceleration and do so at a high level.

Point being: GCC is probably better, but if you're good with the Wiichuck and don't mind not having a Cstick (or remapping the dpad to be the cstick) then there is absolutely nothing wrong with continuing to use the Wiichuck

That's really good to know!

And there is likely truth to wireless controllers having some input lag, but it also seems like something that can be adapted. I've never noticed input lag myself, however I've been using the control scheme for so long it's possible it's simply become what I'm used to.

Though with Smash 4 coming out, it seems all control methods for that will have to be wireless anyway; I wonder how people will adapt to that.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
Taken from another thread, take it for what it is worth.

"The wiimote works on Bluetooth 2.0, which has a latency of 10-30ms, or 1-2 frames."

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Of course the wiichuck is better. If you were trapped in an alliway about to get jumped wtf is a normal gcc gonna do? The wiichuck provides a slight range advantage plus the strength it builds up upon swinging. You can really **** up anyone who gets in your way.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Of course the wiichuck is better. If you were trapped in an alliway about to get jumped wtf is a normal gcc gonna do? The wiichuck provides a slight range advantage plus the strength it builds up upon swinging. You can really **** up anyone who gets in your way.
You can also get stealth kills if you use it like a garrote.

SMOE

Smash Rookie
Coming from a former wiichuk user, the GC controller is by far the superior option. Not only is DACUS on a wiichuk next to impossible, the GC controller just feels a lot smoother and easier to play with to me personally. Also if you do end up getting a GC controller, avoid the third party ones at all costs (the official ones will have a Nintendo logo on the front of the controller) and if at all possible buy new instead of used. Third party controllers won't be as durable and if you buy it used it's guaranteed to wear out sooner.

SMOE

Smash Rookie
The other thing you need to remember about wiichuks is that at tournaments they'll only allow you to use wired controllers since wireless controllers can interfere with each other. If you don't plan on playing in tournaments, a wiichuk will only be a mild impediment to your game (though you won't be able to lightshield with a wiichuk when they get that working properly).

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Disadvantages of wii controllers:

1) is not gamecube controller
2) is wii controller
3) it's The Division Bell of video game controllers
4) wastes batteries
5) lag and no c-stick
6) is not gamecube controller seriously do you need another reason

Disadvantages of GCC:

1) sometimes hard to find/expensive
2) ........
3) why are you still reading this you should be looking for a new controller right now

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
The other thing you need to remember about wiichuks is that at tournaments they'll only allow you to use wired controllers since wireless controllers can interfere with each other. If you don't plan on playing in tournaments, a wiichuk will only be a mild impediment to your game (though you won't be able to lightshield with a wiichuk when they get that working properly).
What tournaments are you going to that ban wireless controllers? I've never been to a tournament where wireless controllers are banned.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Seeing how almost no one bothered to learn anything since the GC controller was still available in the game, there's quite a bit of bias/ignorance. Granted they do indeed suck, the latency/lag, and bluetooth issues is negligible save for really crowded/interference-heavy areas.

I use them primarily because my GCN controllers are pieces of crap, and I eventually got used to using them proficiently.
-Take out batteries in between matches to conserve life, much less the stupid "accidentally interfering with others' games" thing.
-Map your config to suit your needs. As stated, D-Pad makes a fine C-stick.

-I like the portability, and not having to keep my hands together/clasping on a single controller.
-Swing that **** as a victory taunt.

I kinda figure for Project M especially it's killing the point/redundant to not use a GCN, though.

210stuna

Smash Lord
His Gamecube controller may be wireless, but if I were to buy a WiiU and had to play Smash 4 or Project: Melee, I would use my classic OG Gamecube controller that came with the system.

Case in point, not all methods of playing Smash 4 will solely be wireless.

MaxThunder

PM Support
His Gamecube controller may be wireless, but if I were to buy a WiiU and had to play Smash 4 or Project: Melee, I would use my classic OG Gamecube controller that came with the system.

Case in point, not all methods of playing Smash 4 will solely be wireless.
wat?.. what is this magical gamecube controller you speak of that plugs into the wii-u?..

210stuna

Smash Lord
Sorry, I was under the impression that that adapter connected to the WiiU via the adapter into the "Classic Controller" output on the WiiU.

Okay everyone you plug your GC controller into an adapter that connects to a Wii controller!

Ugh.

The Gamecube controller is still not wireless though, and you can still play with it

MaxThunder

PM Support
the wiiu doesn't even have a classic Controller output=P...
doesn't matter that the Controller is wired if you gotta plug it into a Wireless thing to use it=P...

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
I tend to use my gamecube controller for smash but I've recently learned that with Wii+Nunchuk strangely I wavedash more consistently. My set-up is C for grabs, Z shield, Down D-Pad jump which gives it a similar place to the X in the GC, so far ive found it rather comfortable.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The downside of using a wiichuck: YOU'RE USING THE GOD DAMN WIICHUCK

Top Bottom