• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Digipen Tournament (Redmond, WA) April 7th

Drx Capio

Smash Rookie
The DigiPen Dudes are hosting a tourney!

Planned Date: 4/07/07, 1:00 PM
Planned Location: Plato Auditorium, DigiPen Institute Of Technology

Rules:

Singles tournament, 4 stock, 7 minutes, best of 3, single elimination (if there's a high demand for double elim, it will be considered).

4-stock rule: If a player is beaten in the first of three matches without taking a stock from his opponent, the winner of that match can choose whether to continue or eliminate the loser immediately.

Character selection will not involve counterpicking, but if one or both players wants a double-blind selection, it will be mandated for that match.

There will be no counterpicking stages. The allowed stages are: Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, Dream Land 64, and Yoshi’s Story, which will be chosen randomly by the game.

Entry Fee: $5.00

Prize Pool: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will receive a percentage of entrants’ entry fees, rounded down. This means that winnings will be a multiple of $5.00.

1st Place: 70% of entrants’ fees
2nd Place: 20% of entrants’ fees
3rd Place: Remainder of entry fees (approximately 10%)

Tio Tournament program will be used to set up brackets, and seeding will be done based on location/crew.

Banned tactics:

- Stalling tactics used explicitly for stalling and not just for recovery, such as wallbombing or rising pound

- Ice Climbers Freeze Glitch

Last Year, the Skypal guys cleaned up the prizes... Does anyone feel like taking them on?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I want to go to Digipen. :(

I'm there. Would it displease the Digipen smashers if the entry fee was raised to 10$ per person? Most other WA people would prefer it to be 10$. (Me and Nate) (and Shane i think).

IMO double elim is the only way to go. and is there 2v2s? there should be.
10$ per team.

BladeWise

Smash Lord
Double elimination and $10 entry fee would be a lot better.

4-stock rule....hmm. I havent seen that implemented before. I'd have to disagree though.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Whoa, short-notice much?

Then again, I don't have a computer, and therefore have no means to check the boards other than like once a year T_T.

But yeah, maybe I go.

DJ Combo

Smash Lord
Me coming, though the rules all should be tweaked even though its not my tourney lolz... dbl elim and I think counterpicking should be involved, because thats part of the strategy of the tourneys.... but I'll come regardless, even though I'll prolly have to leave by 6.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
My attendance is likely. I need the practice. Lots of friendlies before and after. :mad:

Whoa, Dan's secretly going to try and win his own tourney. Preposterous! Don't let him do any friendlies...or participate in the tournament. >_>

And uhh...single elimination...shouldn't...yeah. Why are you guys changin' it to single elim? Your last tourney was double elimination, if I remember correctly. Are you guys on a super time crunch or somethin'?

Drx Capio

Smash Rookie
And uhh...single elimination...shouldn't...yeah. Why are you guys changin' it to single elim? Your last tourney was double elimination, if I remember correctly. Are you guys on a super time crunch or somethin'?
We are a little concerned for time, particularly since we're seriously considering a doubles tourney after the singles, but it won't be the main attraction and I can't guarantee if/when it will happen. What seems most likely is that we do switch it to double elimination. We're keeping the mercy rule, $5 entry, and lack of counterpicking though.

w/e the rules are Drx guy, im sure the non-digipen smasher turn out wont relalt be affected. so dont worry about it.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
We are a little concerned for time, particularly since we're seriously considering a doubles tourney after the singles, but it won't be the main attraction and I can't guarantee if/when it will happen. What seems most likely is that we do switch it to double elimination. We're keeping the mercy rule, $5 entry, and lack of counterpicking though.
wait a sec...

why would we have a lack of coutnerpicking? i certainly hope that doesn't mean best of 1 match, if it isn't, taking out counterpicking doesn't make much sense, that saves about 15 seconds over the course of the entire tournament haha

Drx Capio

Smash Rookie
wait a sec...

why would we have a lack of coutnerpicking? i certainly hope that doesn't mean best of 1 match, if it isn't, taking out counterpicking doesn't make much sense, that saves about 15 seconds over the course of the entire tournament haha
It's not to save time; it's because we don't have the manpower to enforce any of it. If people want to agree on their own to counterpick, they're obviously welcome to because we can't be watching every match. I'm just mentioning that it's not mandatory, and not to expect us to referee any potential shenanigans.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
oh, so counterpicks exist, but they aren't that big of a deal, so the randoms dont have to counter pick but say ka met up with like silent or osmething at the tourney normal counterpicks would be happenig jsut because we all already know those rules?

let the randoms have their random matches ftw then i guess

Drx Capio

Smash Rookie
Can we pay 10$ if we want to increase the pot size?
The main issue is that we college students have very limited funds, and it's hard enough to part with the $5 that we're likely to lose to Otto, Sas, Blair, etc if they decide to come.

I'll take it under consideration though.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, Jace, Paul, and other top digipen kids, 5$ MM.

EDIT: Will the guy who I thought was MookieRah be there? LOL

Top Bottom