• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Different options when pillaring

Johno

Smash Rookie
So usually when I pillar, I split my options based on character weight and the stage.
-Fast fallers:
Final Destination (or any flat area)
Shine-> wavedash oos -> short hop -> late down air -> L-Cancel -> rinse and repeat until they reach kill percent (if they miss a tech I can down/foward smash or send them offstage with a backair out of a shine)
Platform stages like battlefield or yoshi's:
same process as flat stages but I mix in aerial shine -> double jump cancel -> waveland on platform -> whatever followup works from there
-Floaties (Marth, Samus, Luigi, Jiggs):
This is where I run into some problems. I feel like whenever I try to pillar one of these characters, the shine usually sends them too high to even pillar out of a single grounded jump. But I'm afraid to use my double jump to reach them (as I am playing falco) because I feel like these characters can just hit me out of this pseudo combo and then I don't have a double jump, and that doesn't go well for falco. Is there enough hit stun for 2 jumps out of the shine to safely lead into a down and or is pillaring just not as viable an option against these characters? Also, I usually just straight up jump out of shine when pillaring floaties, I rarely waveshine. Jumping just seems to lead to more options.
-Even if its not pillaring, what are some good options for falco against floaty characters with less hit stun. Do I try to get them offstage and edge guard (edge guarding tips are more than welcome), or do I just focus on stage control with lasers and spacing? Also feel free to give feedback on how I can better combo fast fallers; you don't have to just constrain your criticism to my combo options on floaties. Thanks so much guys!

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Marth and Sheik I wouldn't really consider as floaty as characters like Luigi and Jiggs. Anyways, against Marth you can go for the double jump but I personally do the DJ about half the distance between immediately and the FH height. That puts Falco above Marth and then you can come down with a dair. Tri-platform stages are really good against non-fast fallers because it's a much easier time to pillar them.

In regards to playing the neutral game against non-fast fallers, lasers are amazing. Against chars like jiggs and peach, laser camping really gives them a hard time to approach and dair has really good priority. The combination of those two really shut down the floatier characters. You still have to be smart about approaching though, you can't just mindlessly laser > dair, and such.

LilBro

Smash Rookie
There are so many moves that combo into almost everything: soft Nair, soft Bair, Fair, Dair, up-smash, up-tilt, and dash attack. Comboing with shine is not always necessary unless you're playing against fast-fallers.

Last edited:

Johno

Smash Rookie
thanks for the input guys! I will definitely start to incorporate more soft aerials/dash attacks into my pillaring rather than always defaulting to shine

Top Bottom