• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Different Colors = Different Game Styles??

Igoos

Smash Cadet
I don't have any person to train with. Just my brother but we just play for fun; he doesn't want to learn any AT at all. So I have to rely on the CPU to train and something I noticed is that when different color are selected for the CPU, it plays of different manners. I didn't test at all but when I played against the green Ike, the CPU was more evasive and tended to wait to me to made a mistake and then punish, rather than going after me. The "desert" Ike (shades of yellow-brown on the body and a red cape) was more aggressive and was always coming after me.

My question here is: What you, the Smash community think? Is that just a illusion or is something real?

P.S.: I play on difficulty 6

Igoos

Smash Cadet
The only character that can desynch it's the Ice Climber right?? How so hack a replay file??

@Off Topic Jesus!! Inferiority Complex!?! Is that really you?? Man, I don't see you in AGES XD. Most due to my complete inactivity since my SSBB disc it's all messed up :p. How are you man??

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
A color change would not make it desync because the replay records the button imputs, and not the actual calculations that the AI made to choose what to do.

Something that may make more sense is using a control computer and stage and no items and making sure that they all start in the same place and using characters that don't have random attacks (Dedede, Ivysaur, G&W, etc) and only changing the color of the computer.

I HIGHLY doubt that there is such feature implemented, however.

Igoos

Smash Cadet
Hey Ukemi, what IC meant when he said "hack a replay file"??

EDIT

Here, I tested 4 scenarios saved the replays on a SD, zip them all and uploaded (link). I played with Ganon (the one from "Ganon" tier) because he don't have any complex attacks nor projectiles. I played with him against MK in 4 different colors: Standard, Red, Black and White. I dont know if you can see any differences viewing the replay but I sensed a very noticeable change in the play style of the CPU.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
¡I know what you mean!

I play a lot with CPUs opponents (to practice different things) and I do notice that different colors "affect" the CPU playstyle. For example, for me, the dark blue Meta Knight is more aggresive and the red one is really passive. The "neutral" one is really passive and shield grabs me a lot more than the dark blue/red Meta Knight. This is something that happened to me with Melee/64 too.

:ness:

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Truely for some reason when the color is changed the characters act much different. Also when some people change colors at tourney's they seem to do better. Imo the color changes the power and the priorty of different moves increAsE OR STAY THE SAME. Does anyone know why this happens?

Jasou

Smash Ace
well in melee changing bowser's color effects stats, said by gimpyfish so the different colors could also effect computer playstyles (in brawl or melee), but i havent tryed fighting computers much im sort of waiting for summer to be over so i can play vs my friends again.

Off topic: i know what you mean, my only training partner for brawl and melee is my friend and i beat him a lot so he doesnt like to pratice with me much, but thats because i know how to shffl with fox and he's not that adv yet :urg: and my friend who's good at brawl (in comparison to me) had his wii break, so i cant practice with him over wifi, and the best practice you can get is from fighting good people imo

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Hey Ukemi, what IC meant when he said "hack a replay file"??

EDIT

Here, I tested 4 scenarios saved the replays on a SD, zip them all and uploaded (link). I played with Ganon (the one from "Ganon" tier) because he don't have any complex attacks nor projectiles. I played with him against MK in 4 different colors: Standard, Red, Black and White. I dont know if you can see any differences viewing the replay but I sensed a very noticeable change in the play style of the CPU.
Play a CPU 4 times in a row in the same color and you'll notice the same thing.

A color change would not make it desync because the replay records the button imputs, and not the actual calculations that the AI made to choose what to do..
Which translates to:
The AI works the same, no matter the color. It's a placebo.

SamusXZelda

Smash Rookie
i don't really get it that much, i always change the colors of the cpu and it somewhat the same as the regular ones, maybe it's because of the CPU level i think

Top Bottom