• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Difference between spam, and pressure

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
I've been thinking about this a lot as of late, being a toon link main. My play style is all based around using my projectiles to create a vortex, pressure you, and get you to screw up to get the kill. After matches people would usually just say I'm a spammer (most likely out of salt). I didn't take this to heart, but it had me thinking, "What is the difference between pressure and spamming?"

To me pressure is when you force the opponent to change up their game plan into something their not comfortable with and you hit them with so many options that you eventually case them to make a dumb move and then you punish it for all you can get. This is what I do with my toon link, mainly using the boomerang and bombs to block off arial movement and the boomerang to pop them up or save me when they try and get close. Using your tools to mind game your opponent, this is what I call pressure.

So where does that leave spamming. I feel spamming is more using something just because its good. say if I only used toon's boomerang horizontally and had no real game plan around it. I feel the big way to tell the difference is how you are able to punish the one who is using the attack. Think about it, if they use the same attack over and over, you know what's coming and you can punish them for using the move, that is when a move was spammed. on the flip side, if you can't punish the move because of how they manipulated you into thinking you were safe, that's pressure.

That's my 2 cents on this. What about you guys? How do you tell the difference?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
People, namely scrubs, use "spam" to refer to the repeated use of a singular move or moves. It doesn't matter how they're utilized, whether it be efficiently or strategic, they'll see it as spam. Pressure and spam do fall hand in hand though, as pressure is a much broader concept that encompasses spam.

Of course, if it's working then there's no need to do anything different. Let them be mad; it's their fault they can't deal with projectile playstyles. This is especially hilarious when people call out mega man players for spamming when his entire moveset is projectiles.

Last edited:

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
I don't like to consider anything in this game 'spam'. To me, though, spam is when you're overusing an attack mindlessly.

If they complain they lost because you spammed, it's their fault for falling for the same thing over and over again even if they expected it.
If an option works that consistently, why change it?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
There's no difference. They both have the same result; boring the opponent too much to concentrate on the match. So, mission accomplished, I guess.

I won't play against Mega Man or Link because, even if I can beat them, it's not worth how downright tedious it is to do so.

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I see moves, projectiles or otherwise, considered 'spam' if they're just throwing out hitboxes.

Applying 'pressure' on the other hand is co-ordinating those thrown out hitboxes with the rest of your moveset for a more fluid playstyle, whether it be keep-away or melee-focused.

When one particular move is used the same way over and over again with success I tend to think up a few possibilities. The most obvious is that the opponent is unable to adapt to it and instead rejects the move, sometimes even the entire character because of it. Another possibility is that the move is simply too great a tool that borders overpowered-ness. Finally the move user uses it because perhaps they've seen this as the easiest/best way to win and keep doing it (think up any FG stereotypes of a character like Mac, Link, or Diddy) against people who haven't learned how to deal with the move yet.

LinkisPink

Smash Rookie
well spamming isnt a big deal because i play rosie but i just faught a tought pikachu that was kicking my ass most of the time by spmming down b when im in the air and spamming neutral b on the ground so annoying and i never loss never he aslo keep taunting during the match and after every stock acting like if hes the god at the game but i guess its not his fault its mine so i guess it can go both ways i guess :/

Icemanx5746

Smash Apprentice
When I refer to spam, I'm generally just referring to someone using the same move a lot. But I don't really view spam as a bad thing, it's more of an observational term to me.

Pressure is an extremely deep part of this game that involves psychological warfare. It's about putting the fear in your enemy. Needless to say, I don't really see the two as related at all.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
I don't like to consider anything in this game 'spam'. To me, though, spam is when you're overusing an attack mindlessly.

If they complain they lost because you spammed, it's their fault for falling for the same thing over and over again even if they expected it.
If an option works that consistently, why change it?
The difference between a spammer and a person putting pressure however is fairly different. Spammers are predictable - you can perfect shield and spot dodge 90% of their projeciles with just a bit of practice. Boring. People who know their projectiles and pressure accordingly though? Now you have to deal with the projectiles being used in creative ways to lock up options, sometimes even not as a matter to keep you away but to restrain your movements so they can come and woop your butt the good old fashioned way. When I play a good Link, TL or Duck Hunt player, I giggle with glee because they are so rare and so much fun.

ARBITER WARPIG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARBITERWARPIG
To me, spam is when you are just mindlessly using a move without any thought whatsoever and pressuring is when you are using a move thoughtfully to earn your kill.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
To me spam isn't limited to projectiles, and doesn't have to be used to pressure an opponent, it's the repeated use of a move, that's it. Keep in mind that despite the stigma, spam isn't inherently a bad thing, top level Diddy plays spam grab and uair, top level Shiek players spam fair, top level Pikachu players spam quick attack. They're using the same thing repeatedly, even if it's strategically using the same thing repeatedly. When someone accuses you of spamming, it doesn't mean you should respond with "I'm not spamming I'm pressuring", just take it as a compliment to your spam game, it's an important factor in this game that everyone uses. If you don't spam at all, it shows a lack of knowledge about your character's strongest options.

Pressure is a different game, it's forcing the opposing player in to a disadvantaged situation, a method of pressure is spam. But, it isn't limited to spam, you can pressure an opponent by doing practically anything that doesn't allow them to reset to neutral. Walking forward? It could be considered pressure if it's being used to limit a zoning character's options.

Speaking of zoning here's another one, what's the difference between zoning and camping? To me camping is staying in one spot, zoning is playing keep-away with disjointed attacks and projectiles, with camping being a method of zoning. The difference between camping and zoning is one I hear often.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
To me, spam is when you are just mindlessly using a move without any thought whatsoever and pressuring is when you are using a move thoughtfully to earn your kill.
I think that's a clear way of putting it.
Spamming is basically the mindless repetition of the same moves. Pressure can be the use of repetitious moves, but with more thought and timing put into it, with the ability to adapt if unsuccessful.

Last edited:

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
I consider spamming to just be randomly throwing out hitboxes and projectiles for no apparent reason. I feel like applying pressure with projectiles is what would happen if spammers knew how not to get punished when spamming. I play 5 characters with projectiles that I use a lot.
:4rob:-Laser is something to throw out for free damage when you think they won't be expecting it. It has too much lag to really be spammed or to apply any pressure. Gyro falls in a similar category, but is a little more useful for covering options and retreating.
:4palutena:-I will fully admit to spamming Auto-Reticle like it's going out of style, but I feel like I'm taking advantage of my opponent's inhibition to approach as I only use it from a safe distance whether they're shielding or not.
:4lucario:-Has no spammable projectiles and it irks me when people try to spam Aura Sphere.
:4ness:- PK Fire and Thunder are most definitely pressure and positioning tools for Ness, PK Fire covering horizontal space and punishing just dashing in on the ground with the knowledge that if you're caught in shield when hit you will pay for it. PK Thunder can really condition the opponent and apply aerial pressure. Just when they think another PK Thunder is coming: hit'm with a PK Thunder 2 to punish the air dodge!
:4megaman:- Oh boy...
Crash Bomber is an OK pressure tool, forcing a delayed defensive option giving you more than enough time to plan an approach when it does explode. Metal Blades are also iffy for me (I'm not good at doing the ridiculous glide toss chain) as they're slow and don't do much damage unless thrown down then picked up. Lemons are so spammable it feels good at times. Having an incredibly safe landing option like that is good for all match-ups. Nair to jab has either no lag or very, very, little.

Also could you do Kirby for Ditto Sundays in the near future?

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Why on earth would you stop moves your opponent can't punish? If you're building damage safely, it would seem to me you are merely making the best choice repeatedly, and the fact that it happens to be the same move or same few moves is only a reason your opponent needs to adapt, not a reason for you to stop.

If they can't beat you when you're using one or two moves over and over again, they shouldn't win. Plain and simple. It's a failure on their end, not yours.

Also something something powershielding.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
You can put this in the "unpopular opinion" catagory, but spam is spam, if you're throwing out a bunch of projectiles, it's called spam. Now you can put pressure on opponents with spam, but it's still called spam.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think of it as 'spam' usually if it is low risk-moderate reward, and takes little to no skill to use, but is hard to avoid/punish. (at least for some characters)

Kind of off topic but still within the realm of spam, I have discovered a new level of irritating: Sonics who hide at the ledge in FG mode and charge side B, get close and they release-> jump-> homing attack, then repeat until sudden death occurs.

Any ideas on how to stop this if I'm not playing someone with a decent projectile?

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Spam is a legitimate, if not predictable, type of pressure. That doesn't necessarily make it bad.
We can't really complain about it because it is a viable strategy in a tourney. Of course, you won't win by spamming, but the fact that it's acceptable in a tournament setting makes it acceptable in competitive play in general.

That being said, you may have the right to spam, but you also have the right to be judged by others for spamming. Whether this criticism is based off of sound logic or not is irrelevant. You'll just have to deal with the flak.
I'd get mad at a spammer in casual play. They're not making it fun for the others, especially those who have less skill and don't want to take the game seriously. When the game stops being fun because of something, that's where I would draw the line in casual play.

Meanwhile....
Samus, Link, ROB, and Megaman frustrate me to no end online, ESPECIALLY with lag.
I've become more adept at dealing with Link and Megaman, but Samus still pisses me off...
I admit I need to practice her matchup with my mains more. But it's still frustrating online knowing that my opponent is taking advantage of lag and my inability to adapt to it...

Kind of off topic but still within the realm of spam, I have discovered a new level of irritating: Sonics who hide at the ledge in FG mode and charge side B, get close and they release-> jump-> homing attack, then repeat until sudden death occurs.
Any ideas on how to stop this if I'm not playing someone with a decent projectile?
Stay close. Choose a character who outranges sonic, preferably with disjoint. Sword users and heavies like Marth, Shulk, and Bowser are great for this.
Homing attack can be shielded man. Use a quick attack that you can still go into shield after if it whiffs.

Last edited:

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
Spam is if they don't incorprate regular attacks into there combos

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Spamming is any thoughtless use of any move/projectile over and over hoping that it will connect. It is annoying, but any smart player should be able to make their way around it.

Pressure/zoning is thoughtful use of any move/projectile that has a purpose to put the opponent into an uncomfortable or disadvantaged position. The player utilizes this to limit the movement of their opponent and create openings for themselves to approach or punish. Their opponent must adapt and work their way in.

Whatever the case, if you can't adapt to the spam or pressure then there's no room to complain.

D

Deleted member

Getting upset at that is the same as getting upset at someone using a rush down character on you and playing total offense. "Why isn't this person using defensive or long range moves? Grr!!"

I personally do not see how it is annoying, it would be like getting upset at someone for trying to win just cause you don't like their strategy. It's essentially admitting you don't like a part of the game itself and want to affect how others play just to suit your own specific needs to get upset about it.

Do whatever works to win, if they cannot get past it mentally or in-game, that's their fault.

Solo Popo

Smash Cadet
The difference between spam and pressure, is that spam doesn't work on good players.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Thoughtful or not, dealing with "pressure" is still unbelievably dull, and the game would be far better without it.

And we wonder why Melee fans deride us for being overly defensive...

Last edited:

JimeVR46

Smash Rookie
well spamming isnt a big deal because i play rosie but i just faught a tought pikachu that was kicking my *** most of the time by spmming down b when im in the air and spamming neutral b on the ground so annoying and i never loss never he aslo keep taunting during the match and after every stock acting like if hes the god at the game but i guess its not his fault its mine so i guess it can go both ways i guess :/
You can adapt to that play style. Sounds predictable and easy to beat, imo.

A more difficult thing to decipher, would be finding the difference between a spamming or pressuring Link player.

I can beat a Link who spams, but it takes me 20 minutes for a damn 3 stock match. All of my smash friends play as Link. Its very, very frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom