• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's possible customizable Special Moves.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, with the addition of customizable moves what do you guys think will happen for Diddy? What sort of moves would he have as options other than what he has now? Any ideas?

An obvious one to me is one for Neutral B. Making it the double Peanut Popguns (as they really should've been in the first place) and maybe even the Popgun Pound from DKCR. Speaking of that game, he could have the Rocket Barrel from DKCR to as means of recovery, working differently than his current Up B. Side B, I was thinking could be DK64's Chimpy Charge.

To organise it better:

Neutral B options:

Standard Move: Peanut Popgun

Optional move 1:

Dual Peanut Popguns.

Pros:
+Double projectile
+Very good for spamming and racking up damage
+Peanuts travel fast enough to ensure both hits

Cons:
-Can't charge up the gun so won't be able to do the 'blast gun' thing either
-Longer animation than Peanut Popgun

Optional move 2:

Peanut Popgun Pound.

Pros:
+Shoots dual peanuts but with different trajection than normal (the peanuts 'bounce' over the stage)
+Has an hitbox up close that does decent hitstun
+Causes a tripping effect similar to the Bananas

Cons:
-Not as usable in the air
-Slightly slower than the normal Popgun
-Less great at ranking up damage

Side Special options:

Standard Move: Monkey Flip

Optional move 1:

Chimpy Charge

Pros:
+A very strong one hitting move
+Decent coverage and not so much lag
+Diddy's hurtbox is smaller during the move
+Slight super armor

Cons:
-Cannot assist in recovery
-Plenty of lag if the attack misses
-Slightly predictable if repeated often

Optional move 2:

Monkey Kung Fu

Description: Diddy lowers his stance, leaps to attack up high and basically does an ape version of Marth's Dancing Blade.

Pros:
+Very unpredictable and very good for mix-ups
+Does good enough damage
+Lots of combo potential on the ground

Cons:
-Also cannot assist in recovery
-Has some certain hits that are quite difficult to connect, and also have bad hitboxes
-Learning curve

Up Special options:

Standard Move: Rocket Barrel Boost

Optional move 1:

Hovering Barrel Jet

Pros:
+Very good horizontal recovery
+Can interrupt the move by pressing B and fly the distance of your remaining 'fuel'
+Can attack out of the move
+No landing lag
+Cannot be destroyed by attacking, Diddy will be interuppted but still be able to recovery back

Cons:
-Bad vertical recovery
-It travels less overall distance than the standard move cause of no charging
-Cannot be destroyed, so no explosive Barrel Jet projectile

Optional move 2:

Rocket Barrel

Pros:
+Very great recovery distance
+Strong on impact
+Extremely powerful explosion if struck down
+You can basically control where you go everywhere

Cons:
-Very, very hard to control
-Blows up if it makes contact with the stage's edges, ledge or very strong moves
-Highly dangerous! If Diddy's recovery is intercepted and he's hit by the explosion, it's basically bye-bye for him.

Down Special options:

Standard Move: Banana Peels

Optional Move 1:

Orange Grenades

Pros:
+Fast moving projectile
+Explodes on impact
+Does nice shield damage

Cons:
-A shield can detect the move easily
-It's not easily spamable

Optional Move 2:

Big Banana

Pros:
+Spawns in Diddy's hand right away
+Causes quite some damage when thrown, about 10-12% easily
+Longer duration of tripping
+When thrown on the ground it cannot be picked up

Cons:
-Requires far more strategy than regular Bananas
-Less mind game possibilities cause of no dual Bananas, and of course once it's thrown it cannot be removed
-Loss of A moves when Diddy holds the Banana, limiting his options slightly

More ideas to be added soon, as well as better move descriptions, and possibily even more moves / moves of others!

Please discuss! :4diddy:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I shudder to think of what Diddy's customizable down specials will be like.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why? I actually really look forward using my Diddy Amiibu to fight my opponents. Think I'll focus mine most on Speed and Attack, with dual Peanut Popguns as I've been dying to see those entering Diddy's moveset ever since Melee.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
I like your move list. What I'd like to see with the big banana is a long startup that would even out how long it would last and it's strength. Kinda like the Falcon Punch.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Your alternate specials are amazing. There are some special moves like Melee Charge Shot for Samus and Giant Blow for Donkey Kong that give me hope that more characters can have interesting special move alterations.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks bro. I'm doing the best I can, whilst trying to stay true to Diddy the character, and what sort of moves he will have.

Has it been revealed though that all characters outside of Mii and Palutena get alternations to their current moves, or not? Cause in some cases, custom moves seem quite diverse. Bowser's flame breath for example. I've seen Bowser also shoot out fire balls. Look at the update on customisation on the main site to! Mario's Neutral B: Faster Fire Ball, Fire Ball (standard) and Fire Orb (looking like it came from Mario & Luigi, or his regular F Smash).

So am at least quite sure we'll be seeing dual Peanut Popguns on Diddy. And that alone excites me!

Am also hoping that if Dixie doesn't make it in, and doesn't use Barrels, and DK doesn't use them in any sort of way that it could be an option for Diddy's Down B. Diddy defeated a lot of enemies mostly using barrels. All bosses in DKC2 for example, outside of King Zing (which you defeat by transforming into Squawks) all are defeated by weapons being thrown at them. Even Kaptain K.Rool is defeated in this manner.

Plus, Barrels are very strong items in Smash, so it would give Diddy some much needed KO power. ;)

Another variation of Up B I could think of was this:

The Barrel Jetpacks from DK Barrel Blast.

And this:

The famous Barrel Cannon!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks again! Anyone feel free to think of new moves themselves!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Those optional moves seem like good ideas. What if one of his projectile options is throwing a DK Barrel? It could have slower start-up and be easier to dodge. But it's also stronger and has a greater gravity effect. Of course it'd have a larger hitbox. Maybe he uses the Coconut Gun instead, even though that's Donkey Kong's weapon.

The giant banana is a idea I kind of had too. Though I thought more about having a triple banana move instead.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A DK Barrel could be nice for the effect, but any regular wooden barrel would be nice. The Bananas where easily the trickiest move to try and think variatons for, as they are also regular items. So I wouldn't be surprised if they'd actually got the Orange Grenades as an optional Down B. Especially since Chunky Kong was also reported as an Assist Trophy character, noting Sakurai's apperant love for DK64.

I'd also like some new move for Diddy using his tail. Might think of some new ones along the ride.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Honestly, I think some of the suggestions are a bit too ambitious. From what we've seen so far, the variations don't change the animation that much, so a second peanut popgun seems unlikely. The effects and speed seem like changes that are more likely. Like a quick popgun shot, or a shot that automatically explodes with a bigger blast radius. That's the sort of thing that seems closer to what we've been getting so far, rather than adding in a second gun, or having the move have an entirely different animation and aim downwards.

But then again, we don't have that much information on it all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Which is the best reason to discuss it as much as possible! Honestly, I see no problem with the dual Peanut Popguns. It wouldn't drastically change the animation that much. It's very likely Diddy will still have the same Final Smash, so both Peanut Popguns will have to be used anyway.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I think there his UpB will change length, knockback and angles depending on the version of it
Neutral B will change angel, speed and damage.
SideB is weird to me, no idea. Maybe his travel distance and damage change.
I have no idea for downB

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If we'll get just simple changes, I could see that happening to. Side B is indeed hard to think alternations of without changing the animation, which is why I did what I did with it.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
If we'll get just simple changes, I could see that happening to. Side B is indeed hard to think alternations of without changing the animation, which is why I did what I did with it.
I could see that. It at least would be much cooler

I really hope that orange idea becomes true !

Last edited:

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
One think I'm thinking is likely is that one of the Popgun alts will be something like: "Does not charge ; Always drops a peanut"

and the other is likely a doubleshot (hopefully with both guns!)

As far as his rocket, I'm thinking one of the ones will be that his rocket always detatches after the apex of his flight, or that it'll have a shorter distance but more powerful initial blast, possibly with KO potential.

Alternate Monkey Flip may not grab peoples faces and may just turn Diddy into a little super-armored projectile. Another alternative is that instead of a follow up hit, he can move the enemy when he grabs them (sorta riding on their head), similar to DK's Forward grab.

Bananas I'm not so certain. I reaalllyyy hope for the big banana. Maybe one where he tosses out both bananas at once? Maybe some odd red/blue/green banana with a different effect besides tripping.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Has it been revealed though that all characters outside of Mii and Palutena get alternations to their current moves, or not?
I think what Sakurai told us about Mii and Palutena being the only ones with dramatically different special moves may have been a general statement. Like I said, I can't imagine how Giant's Blow and Melee Charge Shot would be implemented as new up b's for Donkey Kong and Samus without being different animations.

So am at least quite sure we'll be seeing dual Peanut Popguns on Diddy. And that alone excites me!
Okay, so when Brawl wasn't released yet and I saw Diddy's moves I was pissed. I was thinking it was unbelievable that Diddy Kong's pop guns and barrel jet packs weren't like in DK64. After I was already annoyed that DK's moveset was nothing like his games I basically decided Sakurai was horrible at making move sets for characters that were reminiscent of their games.

Also, Diddy Kong can't have the barrel cannon as an alternate up b because I want it for Donkey Kong. >_> A spinning barrel cannon would be hella fun.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well if DK's Storm Punch implies anything, we can actually expect big changes in custom moves! Even if the main animation of the move won't change, there'll still be significant differences. So I don't think Diddy at least having the double Peanut Popguns will be far fetched at all!

I myself was also bothered by how Diddy's DK64 weapons translated to Smash. Well, mostly the Neutral B. Up B was fine with me. Just using one Peanut Popgun felt strange to me. They worked quite a bit different in DK64 and that's all I really want to see as Diddy's custom neutral B. I doubt it would change the animation that much anyway.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well double peanut popguns would change the animation. Its the effects that could totally change and have no real baring on the source material. Unless you mean that he would just fire it twice real quick.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well double peanut popguns would change the animation. Its the effects that could totally change and have no real baring on the source material. Unless you mean that he would just fire it twice real quick.
Yes, am hoping for that. Say, expand the animation to where Diddy pulls out the second Popgun after firing the first.

I feel so damn teased by Sakurai though man! Just look at the awesome scene of DK and Diddy in the Subspace Emissary in Brawl (the best parts of the SSE where EASILY the Kong cutscenes btw!) :

I also secretly hope the Peanut Popguns can be customised as to be a slightly stronger, but slower moving Falco Laser. ^^

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
I think a really cool up B would be Rattly the Rattle snake!

He would work the same way as rush or Sonic's spring!
+ higher recovery distance
+ does not enter a free fall state
- does not inflict damage
- no "explosion" due to no barrels

This prob won't happen because it's completely different but I thought it was a pretty neat idea!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Unfortunately from what I've seen all the specials will be based on the same type of move. So no Rattly, it will have to be a variation of the Rocket Barrel Boost.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Rocket Barrel Boost could also work a bit like R.O.B.'s recovery in Brawl I realised.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
My only question for Diddy: how would Diddy's DPP be different from Fox's standard B move? Would it be spamable that opponents can continue to move or would it be closer to Falco's standard B with slight flinching each time the move is hit?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It will have knockback, and the peanuts wouldn't travel as fast as Fox's lasers obviously. Even if it wasn't too different, it still shouldn't matter. Just look at how many Counter-based moves there are in this game. Or how many Energy Ball neutral Bs. If there's some slight, shallow similarities going on between two moves based on a gun I doubt it'll be the end of the world. Think the move would resemble Falco's most, or a comination of Wolf and Falco's.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here are my ideas for customizable moves for Diddy:

Neutral A: Peanut Pop Gun
Side B: Monkey Flip
Up B: Rocketbarrel Boost
Down B: Banana Peel

Custom 1

Neutral A: Explosive Pop Gun (Fires a slower peanut that deals a small explosion upon contact).
Side B: Charging Flip (hold B to charge the attack. The longer the charge the further he goes)
Up B: Rocketbarrel Spin (puts Diddy Kong in a spin upon being launched for higher knock back lesser damage)
Down B: Long Lasting Banana: Allows for only one banana on the field but lasts twice as long)

Custom 2

Neutral A: Rapid Pop Gun (fires quicker less damaging peanuts)
Side B: Blast Flip (causes an explosion of it connects)
Up B: Precise Rocketbarrel (allows for more easier control in terms of trajectory than before)
Down B: Quick Lasting Banana (can throw three bananas at once but last a quarter of the original banana.)

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, seems like the custom specials don't change what the special is, just its properties. I was hoping we would get some DKR representation with the custom specials (oil slick or mines for down-b would be sweet) but that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Venus's moveset probably looks more realistic yes. But am not thinking it's all out of the question anyway that moves will get some serious overhaul. I mean, look at Donkey Kong's Storm Punch, from an update from last week. I think we might be up for some real great stuff. And really, Diddy using two Peanut Popguns really shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Oh man, now I want to go play DK64...

That's a pretty good list in the OP, I'm loving the inspiration from other games. But unfortunately, I really don't think the custom specials will be based off of anything at all. Just a bunch of made up junk, like 50% of the Final Smashes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Man I really hope it's not the case. I mean, look what Palutena and the Miis are getting! I think that most characters will at least get a few completely different moves for customisation. Even if it's only one move. I don't care if stuff is made up either, as long as it fit with the character. There might also be the possibility that some characters get clone moves from other characters. Palutena got Counter for example, and the Miis look like mashed up clones of everyone. :rolleyes: If so, I'd at least like rapid fire Peanut Popguns and it being similar to either Fox or Falco's Blaster. I doubt that would be too hard to program.

Oatmeal.

Well, dual, rapid-fire popguns have been in Smash before, in that one Subspace clip. That is an obvious (and seriously cool) choice that I think will go in. Others like the Chimpy Charge or the Barrel Cannon are a bit too far off to be considered. Sad that they only decided to do different specials just for Palutena and Miis.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, it's not like Chimpy Charge couldn't work like excisting moves. Like a grounded version of Luigi and Pikachu's Side B attacks for example.

Oatmeal.

I get how it would work, but it's a stretch to call it a variation of the Monkey Flip. That's all I mean.

Now I really want it in...

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Here's one for his Neutral Special, Peanut Popgun.

Akimbo Peanut Popgun: After you fire your first peanut, Diddy will take out a second popgun for his other hand and fires it in the normal function like before. Clicking the B button after each blast will have Diddy fire a peanut with the opposite popgun and it repeats from there. Cancels by not pressing B after any peanut on from the 2nd.

The cons are that the charge is taken away. As a result, every shot takes the same amount of frames to execute as you would fire an uncharged peanut.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I'm excited about what they are going to do to his bananas hehehe.... Diddy's gonna be reel good.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I'm excited about what they are going to do to his bananas hehehe.... Diddy's gonna be reel good.
I would kill for the giant banana from Mario Kart: Double Dash

I loved this thing so much, it's why I always used diddy in this game no matter what.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I would kill for the giant banana from Mario Kart: Double Dash

I loved this thing so much, it's why I always used diddy in this game no matter what.
Well. Looks like I was totally wrong about Diddy Kong. hahaha. He looks really bad now lol. One banana at once kills him. Hopefully giant banana custom specials can save him. And hopefully his dash attack combos are still real.

Double Dash is my favorite Mario Kart

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I don't think one banana will kill him, because I think that the game will be far more balanced so diddy will not need to rely on bananas to compete with high tiers

Top Bottom