• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Whining/Defense Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I hate that it's come to this, but it should save a lot of trouble.

This thread exists for people to post their unhappiness with the character instead of having five threads a week being made to say it. Is Forward-B too fast and flexible? Does Diddy get to neutral way too easily? Do his safe setups invalidate your character? Are you a Diddy apologist and want to tell people why they're wrong? This is the place to talk about it.

I'll try to merge any other salty thread with this one when I catch it. Let's avoid the clutter.

Last edited:

Primer TMT

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carlosva
3DS FC
4940-5763-3694
Im a Ganondorf main and what i can say is...Fight in the air against a diddy, im not givin tips, only that :)

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
No, Diddy's not impossible; you just don't know how to deal with him.

All attacks were blocked by shields followed by grabs
News flash: every character can do that. You shouldn't just approach with attacks; if he's in his shield, go for a grab.

since it is impossible to escape from
Most character's can vector away or get an air dodge off in time.

and if you try to block it, he will use his speed to go, grab you, either do his combo or throw you off stage, and then he goes on
Have you heard of spot dodging or rolling? Either of those work out of shield.

His recovery has also transformed into a killing version of Lucario's Up Special
Literally his Up-B is the most predictable thing in his arsenal. If you're getting hit by it, you're doing something wrong.

Same goes for Rosalina as I've mentioned in another thread
Good to know you're just going around to threads and complaining about things that you can't handle.

Primer TMT

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carlosva
3DS FC
4940-5763-3694

News flash: every character can do that. You shouldn't just approach with attacks; if he's in his shield, go for a grab.

Literally his Up-B is the most predictable thing in his arsenal. If you're getting hit by it, you're doing something wrong.

Good to know you're just going around to threads and complaining about things that you can't handle.
You're right! just in the Heart haha lol, the only thing of diddy he has a little advantage above every character, and his Uair is considered really strong but its all, nothing that can't be handled

WwwWario

Smash Ace

You have good points. I'm just pointing out what I have very trouble with, not trying to start any form of fights or arguments. But for your first answer, I can't grab when I'm coming from the air. If I grab the edge and roll up/attack up, he is ready with a Banana. If I come from the air, he shields :\

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
You have good points. I'm just pointing out what I have very trouble with, not trying to start any form of fights or arguments. But for your first answer, I can't grab when I'm coming from the air. If I grab the edge and roll up/attack up, he is ready with a Banana. If I come from the air, he shields :\
That's why you stay on the ground, who cares if he has a banana, you can catch it with A, not alot of diddy's expect that, or shield and immediately spot dodge or attack out of shield (you can jab A out of shield with ganon), if you're going to an aerial game with ganon, learn to space, he cant do nothing but get his shield poked everytime and he cant grab you out of it, your fair, nair, bairs, will beat out diddy's aerials trade wise everytime. Its about timing, speed, spacing, and reading your opponent, it can be done.

And like TMT said above, you can also footstool if he's in shield, and FF a dair.

Last edited:

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
I will warn one thing-- Many players try and shield Diddy's banana. That sucker flies just a small height up.

Inevitably, this ALWAYS causes an inexperienced player to lose focus. They hesitate, deciding whether to continue shielding for when it falls back down or to do something else.

Always do something else and don't hesitate. I've even seen players unshield and continue hesitating while they focus on the banana, and during that time I am always rushing in for the grab.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Impossible he isn't. Zero Suit Samus, Link and Samus can use Zairs against him which work great. Charged beams can be made with Samus if he's shielding. Using missiles or timing bombs with Link can direct you to a free grab. If he won't leave his shield. Of course Diddy Kong is still very strong with some stunning Smash attacks as well as specials. But like everybody he has his weak points. So far there aren't any broken characters and I wouldn't vote for Diddy Kong to be the first.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Diddy's a really good character and Ganondorf is a little bit lacking, but the way you describe it you're just facing better players. The best advice we can give you is to not give up and call anything impossible. You can't improve if you don't keep an open mind about the game.

More specific advice, and this is still very vague. Try and stay safe in your game play and recognize that Diddy in particular can punish mistakes harder and from a longer range than most characters. Stay grounded when you can, Diddy's aerials outclass most of the roster's. Learn the threatening ranges of his side-b. If he's too close to you while in the air, he won't be able to grab you with side-b, so shielding becomes safe. If he's a little further though, being predictable with your shield is a surefire way to get grabbed by side-b.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Any agreed unfavorable matchups for Diddy yet?
Not that I have seen. Some even ones, but it's very hard to tell until mains of other characters learn item control again. This is the same situation as Brawl where nobody understood how to fight Diddy because they weren't using his banana to their advantage, then it became clear and his matchups got worse. I have an idea of an unfavorable matchup down the road, but I don't want to give the struggling Mega Man mains any tips juuust yet :p

Last edited:

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I've been looking at the match-up against Duck Hunt rather extensively. Diddy and Duck Hunt are rapidly moving up my personal Tier List and they're both really fun to play. It'd be interesting on a personal note if Duck Hunt became a good option against Diddy.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I have an idea of an unfavorable matchup down the road, but I don't want to give the struggling Mega Man mains any tips juuust yet :p
It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that his lemons destroy the banana while it's in midair, does it?

I'd think a smart Mega Man could keep himself from ever getting hit by it by simply spamming them while Diddy's holding a banana.

Last edited:

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
You're not just pointing out what YOU are having trouble with, but are making it sound like it's a fact Diddy Kong is impossible to handle (hell, that's the title of the thread), which obviously he's not. Hell, you even found it necessary to put the word 'actually' in the thread title.

Last edited:

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
I've been strolling around a few different forums these days (instead of studying for finals :[ ) and I have seen quite a bit of hatred (or love) for Diddy. A lot of people are saying he's too good and what not. I personally don't think Nintendo should focus on nerfing anyone at the moment to be honest. I feel like the way Diddy is right now is perfect for this game. He has great tools and is overall a great character that is not braindead, but not extremely hard. I feel like Nintendo should focus on buffing the weaker characters, so that overall the game is faster-paced. I think if 'good' characters keep getting nerfed before the meta game is even discovered, this game might just turn into a wet-noodle fight.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Doing both in balance patches (which is what they seem to be going for yet missed the mark incredibly on assisting the low-tier characters) would be perfect, really. Saves quite a bit of time.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
His uair feels too powerful knockback wise for how spammable it is, but aside from that, he seems okay.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If Diddy is OP, then nerf Diddy. I do not trust Sakurai's team to properly buff 30+ characters to be able to compete with him without making another similar problem.

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
If Diddy is OP, then nerf Diddy. I do not trust Sakurai's team to properly buff 30+ characters to be able to compete with him without making another similar problem.
Yeah I get this point but this is also where the game troubles me. Imo Diddy is not 'op', however he is quite clearly a strong character. I don't think a character should get nerfed for being strong though, there will always be characters who are going to be strong. However, I see so much talk about how Diddy should get nerfed, and I feel like at this point in the game, the focus should be more on buffing character who seem just flat out weak. But yea, idk if it trust the balance team either with buffs because a new character might just get op. However, if they were minor buffs for character who are clearly weak, then I doubt they could mess that up too much. Like just making Donkey Kongs up B travel a bit higher for example. Would not bring him to OP, but it would help a character who clearly needs it.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Learn to pick up and use the banana and stop being predictable, a lot of characters can deal with Diddy just fine but the majority of their players won't bother to learn what's important. Ness, Sheik and ZSS for example, definitely have the tools to fight Diddy and win. All it takes is a little practice in the matchup and learning item control to shift the momentum drastically. JTails has dropped games to Sheiks and more. He's not OP, this will show once more characters that space properly figure out their kill setups. Also, I've personally played against DI that you can't reach with a DThrow -> UAir over 100%. If you're dying from UAir earlier than that, you either are in a really bad position or your DI isn't good.

Last edited:

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
Any agreed unfavorable matchups for Diddy yet?
In my experience, so far Rosalina and Villager give me the most problems. Rosa down b renders peanuts/bananas useless, and she can't really be grabbed most of the time cuz Luma, so kill setups are extremely difficult. Villager pockets your banana until he dies so unless your EXTREMELY careful with it, you'll have no banana until you take a stock. If Villager manages to pocket your banana (which isn't very difficult) he can just camp you out with all his traps and projectiles.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I agree with several of the others here in saying that the matchup is far from impossible. However, I will say that Diddy is a nightmare for Ganon. I'm not saying I'm a great Ganon but I've played him a lot and understand how he works and Diddy is usually an instant loss if I'm playing as him depending on the skill of the other player. One thing I'll say about Diddy's side-B is that you can hit him out of it. If you find yourself constantly getting grabbed while in shield (which I find happening to me a lot as a self-proclaimed shield addict) you can time a jab in time for his approach. If he initiates a kick in the middle, it'll probably end in a trade especially since it's against a Ganon and you'll end up doing more damage to him anyway.

Also, remember that you have a command grab just like he does. In fact, I wonder which command grab would win, Diddy's or Ganon's if they were both used at the same time? I agree with the OP that Diddy's grab combos are the most annoying thing in this game because getting out of them is nearly impossible. Just remember that Diddy will almost always follow up on his down throw which means he is in the air below you when you have a down-B that could potentially hit him while he's really high in the air and potentially end in his death when he's trying to bait you into an air dodge, potentially.

I think my biggest problem with this matchup is Ganon's lack of a recovery. Diddy can go really deep offstage after you and Ganon doesn't like that. I don't really have any advice under those circumstances I'm afraid.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
In my experience, so far Rosalina and Villager give me the most problems.
I 100% agree. Rosalina & Luma and Villager are by far Diddy's two hardest matchups.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
His down throw into uair combo needs to be nerfed or removed

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
People will still complain if they lose to diddys after this nerf anyway, lol. They'll find something else about the character to ***** about.

Comorant

Smash Cadet
Honestly I feel what they should do is let people fiddle with the game, then a month before the Mewtwo DLC is set to be released, collect as much feedback, place it against their stats, and work on making a balance patch to go alongside said update. It'll give us some actual time to decide whether we're overhyping a character at the moment or if something is legit broken.

I mean if balance patching is gonna happen, we could at least try to make sure nobody gets slapped with a nerf or big buffs get tossed around before we can explore as many possibilities as we can.

Sterling Ford

Smash Cadet
NNID
coolboykain12
3DS FC
5112-3516-8831
There's a nerf that Diddy Kong needs. He not balanced. He's unfair. You can easily combo with him that will kill i.e. he's down throw to up air or forward air. I can see that he can get only get one up air at a time airborne.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Guys this is pretty obvious Troll/Flame Bait. If OP really wanted to discuss Diddy's competitive power, there's a whole thread stickied at the top.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I think 1-2 very tiny nerfs would be justified (like a little more endinglag / less knockback on uair), but some other characters need to be buffed anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom