• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Did you seriously have overblown expectations for Smash 3DS?

Folt

Smash Ace
Well the Wii U hadn't sold any units because, duh, it wasn't released. The 3DS wasn't selling terribly well in the summer of 2011 when the game was announced, it only began being very successful with 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 later that year, and only became a huge success with Pokémon X & Y.
Point is, at that point in time, there were many more 3DS owners than Wii U owners and it currently still is. It would be pretty stupid not make a handheld Smash when all factors were in line for making one without many problems.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The 3DS sales skyrocketed almost immediately after June 2011, so they may have saw that, and started working on Smash 3DS. It also had double the preorders of Wii, but that doesn't matter. It got successful very fast.
That's a bit strange since I remember a ton of gloom and doom being spoken about it early on, but that might just be my memory failing. Smash was announced at E3 2011, which always takes place early June, and it was likely planned quite a bit earlier than that, so once again sales didn't affect that.

The reasoning behind it being prioritized is probably because Sakurai had gained experience with developing for the 3DS from Kid Icarus: Uprising, thus it was easier to make. Either that or he simply wanted a handheld Smash. To me neither is enough reason to justify it initially being the only version of the game, Smash is a console game through and through.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
That's a bit strange since I remember a ton of gloom and doom being spoken about it early on, but that might just be my memory failing. Smash was announced at E3 2011, which always takes place early June, and it was likely planned quite a bit earlier than that, so once again sales didn't affect that.

The reasoning behind it being prioritized is probably because Sakurai had gained experience with developing for the 3DS from Kid Icarus: Uprising, thus it was easier to make. Either that or he simply wanted a handheld Smash. To me neither is enough reason to justify it initially being the only version of the game, Smash is a console game through and through.
Uh actually, no game is really a console game. Even if it is console-only, it is usually possible to get it to a handheld(Call of Duty).

But then again, we all have something we don't like about ssb4. Me, lack of Ridley Bandana Dee an SSE-like mode. You, the planning of 3DS version only.

Folt

Smash Ace

There was doom and gloom spoken for the Wii U too, which is oh-so-conveniently left out.

And Smash is still a console game: The 3DS is a console, just a portable one, so I don't get your reasoning. (Actually I do. It's still stupid though because nothing about Smash says to me that it's a home console game through-and-through and 3DS Smash has proven that it can stand on it's own.)

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
All I wanted was a smash mode with a bunch of characters. I am happy as giggling baby Giygas right now

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
I didn't even have much expectations at all--I was pretty disappointed with brawl, maybe because of the slow competitive play and maybe because of what they did to my girl on the left there, but smash 4 blew my mind and I was really impressed with how well they convey the essential competitive experience even on the DS. Of -course- the Wii U has more accoutrements and nicer stages. Of -course-. I just think of smash 3DS as "smash lite". It lacks some of the frills, but the essentials are all there, and it might be my favorite smash to date.

If only because I love what they did with Sheik. But I'm really happy to see more high speed technology in this game compared to brawl, even if it's still shy of melee. It might even be a good balance; the affect of advanced technology on the game to me seems very present and healthy, but subtler. There's more room for people who are genius with the basics. I don't know about you guys, but that interests me. (Bearing in mind that I am a technical player myself, and love to be.)

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It was Smash Bros. and it had some exclusive features on it that the Wii U version didn't. Being a big Smash Bros. fan myself, there's no way I was missing out on any of those features...and I'm glad I didn't.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (that game sucks though).
I disagree. I really like that game just as much as I like Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
My expectations were that it would be a good game. It was.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Nope. Kept my expectation to realistic goals and they delivery well on the game.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I overblown a little bit because the stages (now I mostly play in Omega Form), but in the end I was convinced that doesn't mess my enjoyment of the game. Also I told myself that it was the 3DS version and had different features like Smash Run and that mode actually beat my expectations because I enjoy it a lot.

KneeJustice

Smash Rookie
Keeping expectations realistic is extremely healthy IMO. I learned my lesson after getting extremely hype for SC2 but something about that game didn't sit right with me. It has gotten better, but understanding that games, movies, whatever can let you down is a good lesson to learn and prepare yourself for. I would have actually enjoyed SC2 more if I hadn't been so excited at first.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I had pretty high expectations for a handheld game... I was not disappointed.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I expected the version to have at least as much content as melee and if things weren't on melee then they would have to make it up on something else.

So no adventure mode, we don't have it on both versions anyway but still. I'd say smash run is something they can make up for it since both of them are not long anyway and you get a different experience each match by enemies, stats, door placements, cannons at different spots, ect... on smash run. Not only that but beating a lot of enemies is fun especially with more stats you have.

Target test? Oh boy, replaced that with target blast? Blast is ok but it's not right to have target test not on stadium anymore. However, it makes a return on smash run. Not the best and incredibly short obviously, but I'm glad it made it in some way. So blast + smash run target test is a make up for me.

Trophies. This version already has more than melee and even brawl. Can't be disappointed by that and the trophy rush is probably the best trophy game in the smash franchise so far.

Special mode. Completely absent on this version but I believe the customs itself are good enough for me.

Classic. It still bothers me that they call it classic in this version. However, it is still fun and you do choose paths to whatever of the 3 you like and master core is just the best boss I faced in awhile on smash. I just don't like it being called classic. Wii U version though is much further from classic.

All star. The true all star is still unlockable from getting all characters and this time no items! Thank you! I can't express how many time items screwed me over. It may be easier but you only get 1 chance on this which is fair.

Event mode. Nothing can replace that one honestly. And no coin matches (don't even know if many people play it anyway).

Multi man. 15 minute smash is gone. It makes sense since this is on a portable. I don't see many people going for it on a handheld. Instead we have rival smash which in my opinion, is a great trade.

Characters. It's obviously this game has more than melee and even brawl. Not to mention mii fighters is a + too and is optional to have so those of you who don't like miis don't have to worry about it except them being the multi man team.

Stages. It has more stages than melee. Even if you cut out melee past stages I believe there are still more original/brawl stages than there is all the stages in melee.

Those are the things I can think of that I compared to it from melee. Reason I compared it to melee is because I know it's a lot of people's favorite. There are also things 3ds has that not even melee has to make up for it. Such as online, group modes, make your own (mii) fighters, challenges, replays, controller for smash wii u, street smash (I don't think anyone cares about street smash), and tips.

If I compare it to brawl, it will be a much harder subject to do and I will not try to discuss it. It may just depend more on your priority such as subspace on brawl for example.

But I can say it did better than I expected. I'll even go as far to say I like this version better than any smash game except the Wii U version.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
I thought my expectations were pretty high, and they were actually met, so I am very satisfied with the 3DS version of the game. There are a few modes I wish the 3DS version had, such as co-op classic, Crazy/Master Orders, and Target Test instead of Blast, but hey, those were just extras for me and I got the main things I wanted.

I believe PSASBR was better on the Vita than on the PS3 :p

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, I can tell you I wasn't expecting much since it is a portable Smash Bros. game so when I got it, it did not disappoint.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
I thought my expectations were pretty high, and they were actually met, so I am very satisfied with the 3DS version of the game. There are a few modes I wish the 3DS version had, such as co-op classic, Crazy/Master Orders, and Target Test instead of Blast, but hey, those were just extras for me and I got the main things I wanted.

I believe PSASBR was better on the Vita than on the PS3 :p
It has co-op classic

Folt

Smash Ace
To be honest, while co-op classic is kinda fun at times, regular wii u classic is annoying.

Top Bottom