• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Did you seriously have overblown expectations for Smash 3DS?

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I had high expectations for Smash 3DS and they were met.
Also, a game where the portable version is better than the console version? Sonic Boom 3DS.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I didn't have high expectations for Smash 3DS at all. I was actually fairly disappointed when they stated they were linking it to the Wii U version. Though, they were pretty exceeded to be honest. The 3DS version is much better than I could have anticipated Nintendo to do. Not sure why I had my doubts, but Nintendo cleared them up fairly quick.

Morbi

Scavenger
I had extremely low expectations and I was one of the very few haters of the concept, I was constantly reminded that the 3DS version was going to be the only version at first; however, I was STILL disappointed. I was aware that it was going to be a piece of ****, and I was correct, it is a piece of ****. Plain and simple. My expectations are irrelevant, I am merely offended that Sakurai thought that it was a good idea, first of all. Secondly, I am offended that he decided to release it about a month prior to the Wii U version, thereby attenuating the potential install-base. Lastly, I am offended that he saw fit to release it to the poor uninformed grandmothers and grandfathers who thought their children would be interested and hardcore Smash fans that were dying to get rid of their blue-balls.

Fortunately, that is ancient history. Only masochists and people "who like playing on the go" have to deal with that colossal fail of a product. The 3DS version was marketed as the casual version and it does not even have my precious coin match, pathetic.

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Someone here was dumb and just didn't wait for Smash U.
Someone here is rude...

Without the 3ds version of Smash we wouldn't have lost an entire character, and on top of that the 3ds version has very, VERY little content. It just feels like a gigantic waste of time.

D

Deleted member

I had bigger expectations with the Wii U version (and they were exceeded), but my moderate expectations for Smash 3DS were met.
It is what I thought it was going to be; a portable Smash Bros. game, one that plays better than Brawl.
While I was primarily waiting for the Wii U version I got it because it's Smash, I can play this game on the go if I wanted to, and to hold me over until the Wii U version comes out. Now that the Wii U version is out, I don't have a massive desire to return to the 3DS version since the Wii U is better in many aspects and I am not a fan of the circle pad.

That being said, there were some things that Smash 3DS did better than Smash Wii U, those being Smash Run (which is better than Smash Tour) and Classic Mode is better in the 3DS version than the Wii U version (bigger isn't always better). It also had some stages that I wish weren't version exclusive, like Arena Ferox and Magicant for example.

I merely treated Smash 3DS as the appetizer and Smash Wii U as the main course.

Last edited by a moderator:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I had extremely low expectations and I was one of the very few haters of the concept, I was constantly reminded that the 3DS version was going to be the only version at first; however, I was STILL disappointed. I was aware that it was going to be a piece of ****, and I was correct, it is a piece of ****. Plain and simple. My expectations are irrelevant, I am merely offended that Sakurai thought that it was a good idea, first of all. Secondly, I am offended that he decided to release it about a month prior to the Wii U version, thereby attenuating the potential install-base. Lastly, I am offended that he saw fit to release it to the poor uninformed grandmothers and grandfathers who thought their children would be interested and hardcore Smash fans that were dying to get rid of their blue-balls.

Fortunately, that is ancient history. Only masochists and people "who like playing on the go" have to deal with that colossal fail of a product. The 3DS version was marketed as the casual version and it does not even have my precious coin match, pathetic.
Now's the time to say someone's needs to cut back on the Na. 3DS version supposed to be only one alone gives you no real reason to be mad. 3DS has like 10* the amount of owners as WIi U. They made another game, for people who have less of those consoles, just so that the minority feels not left. They also made it better for 2 reasons: 1. Wii U's processing power isn't total crap. 2. It's to reward the minority who actually have Wii Us. A month earlier release for 3DS version is actually going to garner more sales. They spend money on these games, they need some type of reward. You are offended that Sakurai think's it's a good idea to reward the minority, complement the minority, while making more money? I'm sorry if this comes as offensive, but you clearly don't care about what the developers gain. They are human, they spend time on this, they need some reward, and if making a better version of the game is what it takes, then so be it.

Please tell me how 28 million people are masochists or playing on the go people, for simply buying a game. The game is not ****, it is fine. From me, as a 3DS game it gets 11/10. As a Fighting game, 8/10. as a Smash game, 10/10. Because it doesn't ruin the concepts of Smash. It didn't lose characters compared to the Wii U version, Smash Run is infinitely better than Smash Tour, and Classic is less bull, and just as rewarding. If the 3DS version had the graphics of the Wii U version, it would be way better. 3DS is only a "worse" game because some people would rather hate on it than spend 10 minutes getting used to a small screen, then like the big one even more.

Now, back to masochism:

masochist
[mas-uh-kist] Spell Syllables
noun
Psychiatry. a person who has masochism, the condition in whichsexual or other gratification depends on one's suffering physical painor humiliation.
a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others.
a person who finds pleasure in self-denial, submissiveness, etc.

Yeah. NOBODY who buys this game is a masochist , and if they are, they won't be pleased. Your comment made of salt doesn't warrant a response remotely anything near this detailed, but here you go. In my opinion, i had high expectations for 3DS version and they were met. We got great new characters, a new mode, custom movesets, revamped classic, list goes on... Look at what 3DS brought to Smash. A lot of good stuff. ANd even if it's a preview, which it's not because it's it's own game, It was a good one. And if to you, it pales in comparison to the Wii U version, then give yourself a reason to like the latter more.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I didn't have high expectations of the 3DS version, and it sure didn't surprise me a lot. I guess the only thing that caught me off-guard is how bad the controls were, I expected it to work a bit better than that. I feel like it also ruined a lot of the sensation of a new Smash game by being released first, it felt like we had to take a lot of steps to get to the real deal which is the console version, and once the console version was out it felt more like "Ah, finally I can play the game the real way" rather than "Oh wow! A new Smash game! I'm so excited to explore it!" In total it did kind of ruin the experience, so I for one hope we won't see another portable Smash game again, the mere idea of splitting content up between two versions was stupid to begin with imo, just go all out with one version, nobody wants a handicapped version to exist.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Smash 3DS was released first because they knew everyone would buy it while waiting for the real version (Wii U) to be released, it was just to make some extra money, Nintendo's smart.

As I've said before, it was just a $40 demo, a fun one though!

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Smash 3DS was released first because they knew everyone would buy it while waiting for the real version (Wii U) to be released, it was just to make some extra money, Nintendo's smart.

As I've said before, it was just a $40 demo, a fun one though!
IF the 3DS version was on the Wii U it'd be infinetely better. Classic mode with good graphics or Classic mode with better rewards and gameplay? Smash Run or Smash Tour? It's only subjectively worse because controls and graphics.

I didn't have high expectations of the 3DS version, and it sure didn't surprise me a lot. I guess the only thing that caught me off-guard is how bad the controls were, I expected it to work a bit better than that. I feel like it also ruined a lot of the sensation of a new Smash game by being released first, it felt like we had to take a lot of steps to get to the real deal which is the console version, and once the console version was out it felt more like "Ah, finally I can play the game the real way" rather than "Oh wow! A new Smash game! I'm so excited to explore it!" In total it did kind of ruin the experience, so I for one hope we won't see another portable Smash game again, the mere idea of splitting content up between two versions was stupid to begin with imo, just go all out with one version, nobody wants a handicapped version to exist.
If Sakurai went through with what he initially thought, which was that, we'd be getting only the 3DS version. The Wii U version exists against Sakurai's initial plan.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
IF the 3DS version was on the Wii U it'd be infinetely better. Classic mode with good graphics or Classic mode with better rewards and gameplay? Smash Run or Smash Tour? It's only subjectively worse because controls and graphics.
Eh Smash Run was boring imo, I love Smash Tour, but I love Mario Party so.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Eh Smash Run was boring imo, I love Smash Tour, but I love Mario Party so.
In the way that i loved Kirby Air Ride but hate Mario Party. We're both biased :D

But really, if they put Smash Run on the Wii U, they probably would have gone trough the work of making the ability to change time. I mean, look at how polished Smash Tour is, and it has different boards and the ability to change rounds. If you were to translate that into Smash Run terms, that would be extra stages and changing times.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Sakurai went through with what he initially thought, which was that, we'd be getting only the 3DS version. The Wii U version exists against Sakurai's initial plan.
I know, and the fact that he intially only planned a 3DS version is, to put it bluntly, mind-bogglingly stupid.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I know, and the fact that he intially only planned a 3DS version is, to put it bluntly, mind-bogglingly stupid.
No it isn't. Let's see. Sales for Wii U: ~7.29 mil. 3DS: ~44.14 mil, not counting 2DS or XL. If you were Sakurai, what would you make the game for? remember, this isn't just about making a great game. They need to gain money from the money and time they spent on the game. If i had to choose, I'd make Smash 4 3DS first. More people benefit, and more money is made.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No it isn't. Let's see. Sales for Wii U: ~7.29 mil. 3DS: ~44.14 mil, not counting 2DS or XL. If you were Sakurai, what would you make the game for? remember, this isn't just about making a great game. They need to gain money from the money and time they spent on the game. If i had to choose, I'd make Smash 4 3DS first. More people benefit, and more money is made.
The Wii U wasn't even released when they decided to make the games, the announcement came at the same press conference as the Wii U announcement, so the decision had absolutely nothing to do with console sales.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
If anything, Sakurai should've decided to make the two versions different games made at different times instead of making a big deal about them having some of the same content and making them release near-simultaneously.=. No one would really mind if Smash 3DS lacked some characters and lacked some stages from Smash U.

I think everyone would be much more forgiving of Smash 3DS if that happened.

Morbi

Scavenger
Now's the time to say someone's needs to cut back on the Na. 3DS version supposed to be only one alone gives you no real reason to be mad. 3DS has like 10* the amount of owners as WIi U. They made another game, for people who have less of those consoles, just so that the minority feels not left. They also made it better for 2 reasons: 1. Wii U's processing power isn't total crap. 2. It's to reward the minority who actually have Wii Us. A month earlier release for 3DS version is actually going to garner more sales. They spend money on these games, they need some type of reward. You are offended that Sakurai think's it's a good idea to reward the minority, complement the minority, while making more money? I'm sorry if this comes as offensive, but you clearly don't care about what the developers gain. They are human, they spend time on this, they need some reward, and if making a better version of the game is what it takes, then so be it.

Please tell me how 28 million people are masochists or playing on the go people, for simply buying a game. The game is not ****, it is fine. From me, as a 3DS game it gets 11/10. As a Fighting game, 8/10. as a Smash game, 10/10. Because it doesn't ruin the concepts of Smash. It didn't lose characters compared to the Wii U version, Smash Run is infinitely better than Smash Tour, and Classic is less bull, and just as rewarding. If the 3DS version had the graphics of the Wii U version, it would be way better. 3DS is only a "worse" game because some people would rather hate on it than spend 10 minutes getting used to a small screen, then like the big one even more.

Now, back to masochism:

masochist
[mas-uh-kist] Spell Syllables
noun
Psychiatry. a person who has masochism, the condition in whichsexual or other gratification depends on one's suffering physical painor humiliation.
a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others.
a person who finds pleasure in self-denial, submissiveness, etc.

Yeah. NOBODY who buys this game is a masochist , and if they are, they won't be pleased. Your comment made of salt doesn't warrant a response remotely anything near this detailed, but here you go. In my opinion, i had high expectations for 3DS version and they were met. We got great new characters, a new mode, custom movesets, revamped classic, list goes on... Look at what 3DS brought to Smash. A lot of good stuff. ANd even if it's a preview, which it's not because it's it's own game, It was a good one. And if to you, it pales in comparison to the Wii U version, then give yourself a reason to like the latter more.
Of course, I had completely forgotten to add the obligatory "this is my subjective opinion" disclaimer that was implied by the merit of it being my own comment on an opinion based question. However, you are indeed correct, I do believe that the 3DS version pales in comparison and is therefore the inferior game. A cash-grab, if you will. Your assumption that I do not care about the developers is somewhat unfounded; albeit, it was also correct.

As for the masochism aspect of my post, it was satirical. I was insinuating that the only way to derive gratification from the 3DS version would be through immense suffering. If it helps, perhaps you should search satirical on dictionary.com and post the definition to better help yourself comprehend my post.

Last edited:

Losho

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheLosho
3DS FC
3883-7759-0830
Smash 3DS is really just there to be a portable version of Smash 4, clearly the Wii U Edition is was going to be more fleshed out and better looking.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Of course, I had completely forgotten to add the obligatory "this is my subjective opinion" disclaimer that was implied by the merit of it being my own comment on an opinion based question. However, you are indeed correct, I do believe that the 3DS version pales in comparison and is therefore the inferior game. A cash-grab, if you will. Your assumption that I do not care about the developers is somewhat unfounded; albeit, it was also correct.

As for the masochism aspect of my post, it was satirical. I was insinuating that the only way to derive gratification from the 3DS version would be through immense suffering. If it helps, perhaps you should search satirical on dictionary.com and post the definition to better help yourself comprehend my post.
Yes, but that doesn't matter. You were being satirical, yes. But it doesn't matter because it is offensive. Here is a question I ask a lot here: what do you want? What do you hope to gain from posting that? How to you expect us to respond?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes, but that doesn't matter. You were being satirical, yes. But it doesn't matter because it is offensive. Here is a question I ask a lot here: what do you want? What do you hope to gain from posting that? How to you expect us to respond?
I will afford your question an honest answer in that event, good sir. I do not want to do anything other than express my (unpopular) opinion in a constructive environment, I do not hope to gain anything at all from posting such aside from personal satisfaction, perhaps. I did not expect a response either, I just "penned" my thoughts and awoke to a response that was seemingly directed more at my personal convictions than my opinion on the expectations regarding the game. However, I do apologize for offending you, that was not my intent. I suppose I presented my argument in an antagonistic fashion.

To rephrase; I did not have overblown expectations for Smash 3DS. My expectations were quite low, but they were still not met. The omission of central features and modes in addition to the removal of fan-favorite characters based on hardware limitations were not favorable changes in my opinion. I thought that the release date was counter-intuitive to Nintendo's general plan of selling more Wii U consoles in favor of capitalizing on a much larger audience that was not given a quality game. That being said, I also agree with your points. As a Smash game, it is great, probably one of my favorites. As a fighting game, I found it to be innovative to the series itself and the genre. And more importantly, as a 3DS game, it was superb.

Ignore my bitter attitude if you must, but I am still disappointed by the existence of the 3DS version. It is great for those who wish to play it on a console that they actually own.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Nah. I expected it to be good enough but not spectacular. You can't expect all the stuff of Brawl or Smash Wii U to fit on a 3DS all at once.

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
I was excited for the 3DS version because I don't have a Wii U. (Might get one for Christmas though) It's now a perfect game for on the go or with friends who don't have a Wii U either.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How on earth was it stupid? Smash for portable had been asked for for a long time. If anything it was wise.
The outcry has never been massive though, it's been notable but nothing incredible, so to even have the slightest thought of not putting it on a home console is certainly not wise. The handheld simply puts up too many limitations and restrictions for it to ever be able to justify its existence without a home console counterpart, as we can see it has already become the handicapped version now that the home console version is out, so the fact that they initially only planned the handicapped version is another question mark added on to a ton more regarding Sakurai's vision of Smash Bros.

Folt

Smash Ace
I can set whatever palette I want to be the main one on the 3DS.

That alone justifies its existence.

Well, that and 3DS Classic Mode. Also, 3D Land, Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Gerudo Valley, Spirit Train, Dream Land (GB), Unova Pokémon League, Mute City (SNES), Magicant, Arena Ferox, Balloon Fight, Streetpss Quest/Find Mii, Pictochat 2, and PAC-MAZE are all exclusive stages for the 3DS version that I like. Also, less bull**** Challenges and they come with a sense of progress as well, and more characters who are unlockable: I will never get tired of unlocking characters for Smash.

EDIT: Also, Smash Run!

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I got it because it's Smash and I appreciate Smash.

That's pretty much it. It does exactly what it says on the tin. I'm good with that.

Also Morbid's point is pretty intense, but I definitely see where she's coming from and I sympathise with it. No likey, no lighty and so on and so forth.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'm pretty satisfied with the 3ds version no matter how "inferior" it is compared to the Wii U version.

I don't have a Wii U, but the fact that in both games, the characters have exactly the same moves and stats, I can use the 3ds to train myself to be able to participante in both smash 3ds and Wii U tournaments, while people that only have the WIi U version will only be able to attend Wii U tournaments.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smash 3DS is only good for playing Smash Run (way better and more fun than Smash Tour), playing on the new stages (wish the 3DS new stages were in the Wii U version instead of those 64/Melee/Brawl stages), and playing Classic Mode without 8-player matches (I hate 8-player matches on Classic Mode Wii U).

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I expected it to be able to handle Ice Climbers. Couldn't even have that now, could we? And for that cost all I have here is a game that flaunts around a feature I stopped wanting years ago and have no use of.

And to those who bring up Sonic Boom 3DS better than Wii U, yes, but those were made by different studios and they're two completely different games (and Sonic Boom Wii U had a pretty ****ed up development cycle). Smash on the other hand tries to be two of the same game for two different systems with completely different structures and the games don't even have Cross Play.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Cross Play would never have been possible anyways.

Actually, of the two, I pretty much prefer the 3DS version. It's portable, I can personalize it to my own tastes, and 3DS Classic Mode & Smash Run actually out-edge Crazy Orders and Events on Wii U (All-Star Mode is about equal on both and Wii U Classic Mode is worse) in my opinion. Also, less bull**** challenges.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
The outcry has never been massive though, it's been notable but nothing incredible, so to even have the slightest thought of not putting it on a home console is certainly not wise. The handheld simply puts up too many limitations and restrictions for it to ever be able to justify its existence without a home console counterpart, as we can see it has already become the handicapped version now that the home console version is out, so the fact that they initially only planned the handicapped version is another question mark added on to a ton more regarding Sakurai's vision of Smash Bros.
Yeah, it had a few limitations but I'm pretty sure the Gamecube and N64 had some, yet Melee and the N64 one was made. With the game the size of Smash, of course weaker systems will have some limits to it but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been made.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I love my Smash 3ds

The graphics on that thing don't cease to amaze me, and it handles very smooth.
It is actually quite a stunning game. Considering the games I've been looking at for the past decade have been World of Warcraft (with GFX turned down for maximum FPS performance!) or CS 1.6 I am probably easily impressed lol. Especially given my non competitive games of choices largely fall onto the SNES!

Folt

Smash Ace
Also, 3DS Smash being basically a personalized Smash experience for the one who buys it is good in regards to the minigames like Home-Run Contest and Multi-Man Smash. Records are likely to be overwritten by someone other than you for the home console versions so any records set on the 3DS version becomes more personalized as well.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Wii U:
As of September 30, 2014, Nintendo reports 7.29 million console units and 41.67 million software units(AKA GAMES) have been shipped worldwide.[5]

3DS:
As of September 30, 2014, Nintendo reports 45.42 million units have been shipped worldwide, of which 16.61 million were shipped to Japan, 15.27 million were shipped to North America, and 13.54 million were shipped to other territories including Europe.[5]

Which one would you make Smash 4? Pick one.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wii U:
As of September 30, 2014, Nintendo reports 7.29 million console units and 41.67 million software units(AKA GAMES) have been shipped worldwide.[5]

3DS:
As of September 30, 2014, Nintendo reports 45.42 million units have been shipped worldwide, of which 16.61 million were shipped to Japan, 15.27 million were shipped to North America, and 13.54 million were shipped to other territories including Europe.[5]

Which one would you make Smash 4? Pick one.
Did you miss my previous post? The game was announced for Wii U half a year before the console was released, and at the time it was announced the 3DS was a total bust in terms of units sold, so sales numbers had absolutely no effect in it.

Yeah, it had a few limitations but I'm pretty sure the Gamecube and N64 had some, yet Melee and the N64 one was made. With the game the size of Smash, of course weaker systems will have some limits to it but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been made.
Those were the consoles of their times though, it's not really comparable because they didn't make a handicapped version for the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance alongside those.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Did you miss my previous post? The game was announced for Wii U half a year before the console was released, and at the time it was announced the 3DS was a total bust in terms of units sold, so sales numbers had absolutely no effect in it.
The 3DS had sold a lot of units by that time though, and the Wii U hadn't, so letting the 3DS version get a Smash game was (and still is) still a good idea.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The 3DS had sold a lot of units by that time though, and the Wii U hadn't, so letting the 3DS version get a Smash game was (and still is) still a good idea.
Well the Wii U hadn't sold any units because, duh, it wasn't released. The 3DS wasn't selling terribly well in the summer of 2011 when the game was announced, it only began being very successful with 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 later that year, and only became a huge success with Pokémon X & Y.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Hmm. Maybe they decided that people who buy handhelds should get a chance at a Smash game? Also, we don't know the difference in time between them planning 3DS only and Iwata suggesting Wii U version. It may have been something one guy suggested, so they began early work on the 3DS version, making it seem like it was the only one. Maybe Iwata immediately finds out, but the mere thought of it gets on the internet. Or they started work on the handheld version 1st before starting with the Wii U version, again making it seem intended. You know what, i don't know what Sakurai thinks, but he might have a good reason for it.

Well the Wii U hadn't sold any units because, duh, it wasn't released. The 3DS wasn't selling terribly well in the summer of 2011 when the game was announced, it only began being very successful with 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 later that year, and only became a huge success with Pokémon X & Y.
The 3DS sales skyrocketed almost immediately after June 2011, so they may have saw that, and started working on Smash 3DS. It also had double the preorders of Wii, but that doesn't matter. It got successful very fast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom