• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did they modify the graphics at all in the Melee stages?

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Of course they didn't modify it. It's as of modifying Dream Land 64/DK 64 stages in Melee. Barely any modifications except for probably ceiling height or distance from stage and "walls of death."

Serph

Smash Journeyman
Didn't the Temple stage update say that some old stages may differ slightly from their Melee originals?

Anyway, it doesn't look to me like they've upgraded them graphically.

Captain Anthony

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... guys, I've been looking, they've definitely been updated. The textures are much more intricate, they're the same design and lay out of course, but they've most certainly gotten a coat of Brawl paint.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Did not this rap... fellow say that some past stages would return with some extra gfx pimpin'? I guess this update reflects well on his cred then...

Croco

Smash Lord
Well what I am seeing is that the textures are more clear and vibrant.
Everything is more crisp and visible..
Nothing was really added.. or upgraded.
It's probably just the new hardware/updated engine the maps are being displayed on.

Did not this rap... fellow say that some past stages would return with some extra gfx pimpin'? I guess this update reflects well on his cred then...
I don't want to defend something I am not sure of.. but..
Pokemon Stadium was updated.
Battlefield was updated.

We might get an updated..
Poke Floats
Princess Peach's Castle
Mute City
Kongo Jungle
Dream Land or Green Greens
Final Destination
etc. etc. etc.

coolfufuman

Smash Apprentice
erm
the rainbow ride boat looks a little different, and i dont remember the acid being green in the previous brinstar- or that car in onett

Mexican Brawler

Smash Cadet
the only graphic update that I see is on the caharacter that are fighting on the stages, and why Rainbow Cruise... is like Pokefloats or the IC stage, i hope that this Mario stage dont take the place of a Bowser Casttle

blayde_axel

Smash Master
That's true. The only thing they reused was colors textures and elements. They "remade"everything. This is also stated in Melee Stages: Part 1
Right. So things will be different by a tiny bit. Whatever would be modified would have to be necessary (like somewhere for Pokemon Trainer to stand, for example.).

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
no they arent different, atleast anything beyond a lil messup from trying to recreate it. thats why theyr past stages. corneria from melee got a graphical upgrade from its 64 counterpart which is why its a new stage, not a past stage. these melee stages in brawl are past stages.

Prinkachu

Smash Cadet
they changed them

look at the lasers
The Lasers are the exact same thing, the effect of the explosions and hits have changed, and they are defeneatly not part of a stage, so it's natural that the effects when you are hit by a laser are different.

Maybe you were just being sarcastic, if it's that way then it doesn't care, sarcasm on internet fails, much people don't realize that, including me...

Lunaretic

Smash Apprentice
old stages with updtaed graphics are still old stages.. I would've though they would've used the increased texture size/memory to update the piss bad acid texture on the metroid level at least though... : /

Edit: Oh, and from a technical perspective, no, they don't have to re-make the stages from scratch actually. As long as the base systems are the same, most likely they can just import old maps in as long as they still have the relevant files, which I'm sure they do.

An example is importing Half-Life 1 maps into the Half-Life 2 engine, the engine renders them slightly differently and interacts with some of the entities differently due to the added physics system, but the map itself is the same map/data.

Shiny Pidgey

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure they used the same textures, so while they did technically have to rebuild the stages (because, Lunaretic, it's not the same engine being used AFAIK), they probably won't look any different. The same thing applies to the "past stages" in Melee. The ones that were in the first game, but were graphically improved, such as Corneria, were not considered "past stages".

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
Edit: Oh, and from a technical perspective, no, they don't have to re-make the stages from scratch actually. As long as the base systems are the same, most likely they can just import old maps in as long as they still have the relevant files, which I'm sure they do.

An example is importing Half-Life 1 maps into the Half-Life 2 engine, the engine renders them slightly differently and interacts with some of the entities differently due to the added physics system, but the map itself is the same map/data.
They can. But they didn't.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
erm
the rainbow ride boat looks a little different, and i dont remember the acid being green in the previous brinstar- or that car in onett
Thats the ONLY car I remember from that horrible level.

i wish they would give ssb stages
Do you know how weird that would be?
Donkey Kong 64 and Kirby Dream Land 64 coming back? Although I admit Kirby Dream Land 64 was by FAR one of the best stages in Melee, along with Donkey Kong as you can see by my Location, (It was a joke by another competitve Smasher, don't be like "LULZ NUBNUBNUB" :/) But, I personally wish he'd Buff the graphics for the N64 stages so I can get my DL64 back. :/

AnimalCrosser

Smash Cadet
erm
Rainbow Ride: The boat looks shinier.
Brinstar: No change.
Onett: That van was always there. It just doesn't say Runaway 5 on the side like it did in the Melee version.

The ones that were in the first game, but were graphically improved, such as Corneria, were not considered "past stages".
'Graphically improved' as in 'change of location'?

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind 64's sector Z was a larger stage than Melee's Corneria.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
And how exactly did you come across this information?
Because... they're making the game?

My bad. Didn't read what post you got that from.

Anyway, if they did import, then there wouldn't be any changes at all. But he's mentioned that they've been changed. In fact, I think he even says they had to remake it, in a sense.

But hey, if they could have, they would have.

XACE-K

Smash Master
The stages look the same but some have tiny little differences from their Melee counterparts.

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
There were some subtle changes, a few textures are different, and the color warmth has been changed slightly. It requires one hell of a trained eye to notice though

ff7freddy

Smash Cadet
I don't understand why people ask these kinds of questions. Why do you ask us if we haven't played the **** game besides the demo.....

Top Bottom