• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Did e3 sell you on the WiiU?

Did E3 convince you to get a WiiU?

• Yes

Votes: 77 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Already got one

Votes: 174 64.7%

• Total voters

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Out of curiosity on whether the good showing will translate into sales, were any of you convinced to buy a WiiU? And if you already have one do you feel better about it now?

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Captain Toad
Bayonetta 1/2
Smash Bros.
Shovel Knight
Hyrule Warriors

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
Let's not forget Splatoon and Codename STEAM now.

For me, Splatoon was the real show stealer.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I actually got one just before E3 so I could cash in on the MK8 bundle. I'm liking the looks of mario maker, and toad, and I'm looking forward to future starfox, zelda, and hopefully, hopefully metroid.

But the combination of smash and mario kart sold me.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Between e3, the Mario kart registration bonus, nes remix 1 and 2 and mario maker, I'm convinced. The worst part is I had a wii u and sold it back in a wave of stupidity...lost all my vc and Wiiware games :'(

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Absolutely. After getting a 3DS at launch I was mega apprehensive about buying the WiiU, and I wasn't wrong in doing so because I was a penniless student and basically I'd have saved up and spent for about 3 years of NOTHING.

All I needed was a reason, finally they gave us a reason, expect the sales to soar.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
I don't know that I am going to buy a wii U, but I will definitely be playing smash at my buddy's house. I might buy one when the next zelda comes out if I have an excess of cash flow.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Xenoblade Chronicles X gameplay would have sold me on one alone if I didn't already have one.

Hyrule Warrios, Zelda U, Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Bayonetta are just icing.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Already own a Wii U, but I'm excited for a lot of the games coming out (mostly in 2015). The Wii U needed a better library of games.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
i jsut waited to see if they announced a price cut or a new bundle, but i ordered the mario u bundle from amazon should be here next week. Got mario kart 8 waiting to be played!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I already got one. I was sold on it when Super Smash Bros. 4 was announced haha, just took awhile to get it.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
If I didn't already have a Wii U, I would have bought it after this year.

Keirndmo

Smash Rookie
It didn't sell me on a Wii U but it definitely sold me on getting a 2DS.
I'll still probably get a Wii U in the future when it gets a bit cheaper and all the great games on it get cheaper.

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Already own one, but if I didn't: Dat Smash, dat Bayo 1+2, dat XBX, dat Mario Maker, dat Hyrule Warriors, dat Zelda U, dat SPLATOON!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad looked promising but Splatoon put me off again. It's not that the game looks bad, it looks real fun but the apparent lack of singleplayer or even offline play seriously worries me regarding Nintendo's future.

Last edited:

LunethF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luneth
3DS FC
5327-1175-2830
Already own a Wii U.
If I didn't; the Mario Kart 8 deal, games that the system already has (Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Wind Waker HD, etc), games that are coming this year and next year (SMASH, Splatoon, Bayo 2 (with Bayo 1 port) Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby and The Rainbow Curse, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda U, Star Fox, etc.), plus the ability to play every iteration of Smash Bros (64, Melee, Brawl and now 4 (plus mods like PM)) on one machine would definitely persuade me to pick one up.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm sold over:
-SSB4
-Bayo2 ... as much as I hate to admit it, I can't pass up this deal where I get one game, and I get the prequel for free.
-Splatoon
-DKC:TF
-Star Fox U
-Project Guard

I'm waiting for Q1 2015 to get it, though. I'm getting a 3DS first throughout the remains of this year.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Yes, But I have one already. But Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, new Zelda, Smash (obviously), Mario Maker, and Bayonetta 2 (bundled with a Bayonetta remaster) are all big selling points.

Treehouse got me ultra hyped for Hyrule Warriors would run out and buy a Wii U before September so I could play if I didn't have one already.

LunethF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luneth
3DS FC
5327-1175-2830
Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad looked promising but Splatoon put me off again. It's not that the game looks bad, it looks real fun but the apparent lack of singleplayer or even offline play seriously worries me regarding Nintendo's future.
It's been confirmed that Splatoon will have a single player and local play. It's still early in development so they're working on a lot of things for it that they couldn't show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cHwzSm6q3A
I don't think Nintendo would ever release a retail game that was online play only.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Not yet.
There are some nice games coming but I usually only buy a new Nintendo console when it features my favourite Nintendo series... which is Metroid. Years ago, I bought Metroid Prime 3 Corruption before buying a Wii because I cherished it so hard, lol.
If they announce a new Metroid someday, I'm definitely on the Wii U-buyer boat.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It's been confirmed that Splatoon will have a single player and local play. It's still early in development so they're working on a lot of things for it that they couldn't show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cHwzSm6q3A
I don't think Nintendo would ever release a retail game that was online play only.
Thankyou, I missed that bit of E3. It doesn't necessarily sell me on the game since I'd haver to get an idea of what the single play would entail and how long it would last but this does restore my faith in Nintendo.

LunethF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luneth
3DS FC
5327-1175-2830
Thankyou, I missed that bit of E3. It doesn't necessarily sell me on the game since I'd haver to get an idea of what the single play would entail and how long it would last but this does restore my faith in Nintendo.
Honestly, the game isn't going to have a great single player since the focus is obviously placed on the multiplayer. If you're a single player kind of guy, you probably aren't going to be left satisfied with this game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I was already sold, and it just showed off even more to enjoy. Plus I have Wii games without a Wii. I'm going to buy a refurbished Wii U in a couple months once I can get more work in.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I got one at launch, but this E3 was what convinced me that it was a good decision. I would inevitably have gotten it just for Zelda and Smash, but now I can actually say that I have it for more than just 2-3 games.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Most definitely but it wasn't smash that did it. If splatoon had a demo available now I'd go out and buy one, and wait for new star fox and Zelda though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Already got a Wii U but I plan on picking up Captain Toad (duh), Hyrule Warriors, Mario Maker (always wanted to make my own levels), The Legend of Zelda 2015, Yarn Yoshi, and of course SSB4.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I was already sold on Wii U, the Nintendo E3 event made me want it even more.

After College is over, I will set aside some money to buy a Wii U.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Yeah man, I think almost every game looked good to me except for maybe a few like STEAM and that's on the 3ds. It looks good just not really appealing to me. I'm sure to people who like that kind of game it looked amazing.

Yoshi's Wooly World, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Guard and Giant Robot, Star Fox, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda Wii U, Mario Maker, and of course Smash all looked very fun to me. I wasn't watching too much on day 2 so I might have missed out on some. Plus there's already some great Wii U games out there. Definitely going to pick this console up when I can.

And yes, I liked Splatoon. I just don't want to talk about it right now after seeing it so much.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Honestly, the game isn't going to have a great single player since the focus is obviously placed on the multiplayer. If you're a single player kind of guy, you probably aren't going to be left satisfied with this game.
True and that is a little disappointing but it's something I can live with. If it were entirely devoid of offline, however, it would show that Nintendo was headed down a path that leaves little room for guys like me, just like their competitors seem to be. The fact that this game has something means that there is still hope.

gamer8

Smash Lord

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I got mine already, but man are these games so promising. Granted, some of these games are only awesome because I already had a wii u, (Captain Toad's treasure Tracker), but still, it was an awesome selection that this would be the time I would get it. Though, I would probably still wait for either my birthday or winter.

Top Bottom