• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Brawl Kill Melee?

Adroit_17

Smash Rookie
(why i only have 1 post is because I have been working on getting good for years and knew to myself i didnt deserve to post...)

I came to realize quickly that brawl is bad. simple...

I stopped playing right away.

This shouldnt be a problem but it seems the melee community has died, a lot...

I see so few get togethers anymore right when i finally decided i was good enough to start going to tournaments.

This shoudnt be a problem in theory, melee is still fun. I think what happened is that the anticipation for brawl made us look at melee as old and caused us to lose a big part.

I cant predict what is going to happen but me and my melee group have lost all the drive to get good because well... we are afraid that the melee community is dead. I see many star players not play brawl because... its bad. But then stop playing melee as well.

Is it dying?

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
You and I are in the same situation. Depending on where you live, there might be some people who have stuck to Melee, just check your regional board.

That's our only hope now.

Roman.

Smash Champion
I wouldn't exactly say that brawl is bad (trust me i'm a huge melee fan and don't like brawl XDD) but that it's a completely different game. It's a game for casual players compared to competitive players. The Brawl community try to make Brawl competitive like melee was but it just isn't....it's a party game!

I think all Brawl did is seperate the competitive players from the casual players so now even though the melee community is much smaller it's much more comprimised of dedicated players. The only problem atm is that we lost a lot of great melee players to Brawl but hopefully with time they will come back.

Adroit_17

Smash Rookie
hehehe (embarassed) thanks

and roman you have changed the way i look at it.

Brawl has removed the cancer of melee

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EGgGChE0CDM
ahhhh remembering the most epic matches of all time

brawl could never create that kind of match

copying and pasting that link was more technical than brawl

Adroit_17

Smash Rookie
I think im going to my first tournament in chicago in 20 days...

**** i thought melee was gone forever. I'm ****ing siked. I gotta get my falco back, not to mention my melee friends back.

the melee community better not die evar

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I wouldn't exactly say that brawl is bad (trust me i'm a huge melee fan and don't like brawl XDD) but that it's a completely different game. It's a game for casual players compared to competitive players. The Brawl community try to make Brawl competitive like melee was but it just isn't....it's a party game!

I think all Brawl did is seperate the competitive players from the casual players so now even though the melee community is much smaller it's much more comprimised of dedicated players. The only problem atm is that we lost a lot of great melee players to Brawl but hopefully with time they will come back.
Or new ones will rise from the ground and up. :evil:

Zodiac

Smash Master
Yes brawl sucks, and people are slowly realizing that, very slowly and if you notice, the brawl epedemic is actually starting to wind down, but it will take a little while, places like evo and mlg wont accept brawl because it sucks. When things like that start happening, aka, within the this year and the next, brawl will die. it doesnt melee will live, but brawl will die.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
It's obviously not dead as shown by how many people are complaining about brawl. The fact you all put up such a fight ensures that the melee community will stay alive (It won't be like 64 is now)

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Most of my friends either quit Smash altogether or still play Melee. Come to the GA tourney people. It's going to be huge.

In my regional zone, Atlantic South, according to the poll 65% of us prefer Melee. You'll find similar results in all the regional zones. So why the **** are the vast majority of the tournaments right now Brawl when most of us would rather be playing a different game? I think it's just a matter of time before tournaments start shifting towards Melee again.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
It's obviously not dead as shown by how many people are complaining about brawl. The fact you all put up such a fight ensures that the melee community will stay alive (It won't be like 64 is now)
Even the 64 community is still alive and I'm proud to be a part of it :D

It's not that I'm worried about melee dying. It's that I'm worried about those who realize brawl suck, will come back to melee. A lot of those only move on to melee because it's new. Can they go back to something old?

Let melee live on! :)

vagrantlibertine

Smash Cadet
I am quite literally homeless and travelling Canad
1: Zodiac has a solid point about SF2 because it's been in arcades along with MK for roughly 20 years. Melee will always be a work of art (save for a few characters that needed a little more effort put into their construction)

2: I agree with BHLMRO. Just because something is old doesn't necessarily mean it deserves to be pushed to the back of the attic and buried. There's too much emphasis on "NEW" things these days. I still play my old FF4 and FF Legend 2 because they're good games (IMHO) and I enjoy them

3: I don't think Brawl sucks but I don't think it's better than Melee either. It would seem to me that Brawl has merely ironed out a few kinks in the system, though infinite combos (I admit to enjoying Falco's quirk with throwing my enemy into the ground across the entire bloody level), would seem to be a new kink the chain that needs to be worked out. Now, I've heard some flack about the edge grabbing in Brawl, but personally I think they've done a good job at finally perfecting that aspect. I'm sure most of you remeber from 64, where you'd be outright touching the edge for 1.5-3 seconds and still not grab the bloody thing.
Brawl has a much better balance between the characters, (as in Fox, Falco, Sheik and Marth aren't the most ridiculously stacked characters ever), but what I simply LOATHE is how heinously slow it all moves compared to Melee. I thought Brawl would be faster, because I love how quickly Melee makes you think, but they friggin' slowed it all down on me...

I'd say they are roughly even as far as games go. But I'm more partial to the speed and intensity of Melee over Brawl's lack of ability to get my heart racing when I'm up against a decent opponent.

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
I think im going to my first tournament in chicago in 20 days...

**** i thought melee was gone forever. I'm ****ing siked. I gotta get my falco back, not to mention my melee friends back.

the melee community better not die evar
I agree, and I hope if I get back to chicago, I hope to find still some melee tournaments so I can go to one, because I never had the oportunity to play many competitive players in melee, so yeah, hope it doesn´t die.

I too didn´t like brawl, it´s somewhat fun, but not talking about it in competitive terms, but like they have said before, its a casual game.

some people dont even like brawl and say that maybe within time, they´ll start to like it, what I think is that one shouldn´t move to brawl´even if don´t like it, it doesn´t make any sense, just because there many people moving to brawl, doesn´t meen someone that does´t like it, should move to brawl later.

tutata

Smash Ace
My opinion is this. Many have left melee because they sucked at it or did not want to learn the advs techs. I would go to tournaments and notice that many ppl would show up to play friendlies and not go to the tourneys. I have encountered many people that would say things like "Hey why dont you play me in a non tournament map, what is it cuz u can only win in those" or "Hey Wave dashing is cheap, Wave dashing is cheating, what u cant beat me with out it". Many of these people were scared of the ATs. Now that brawl is there they are happy because there ATs aren't that noticeable and there aren't any game braking ones yet. There will be more ATs and slowly more newbs will start to leave brawl. Many newbs choose not to play meele because of the ATs, with brawl being a slower easier game "i can use my DI to recover everything" the newbs love it. Meele will never die out its the most complex fighting game. The fan base might get smaller but it will never die out.

Grunge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-wiggity
3DS FC
2938-8119-7719
Melee takes more Skill then brawl
Your reaction has to be dam good
unlike brawl where you can just air dodge all the way down
melee will never die

TipZ

Smash Apprentice
Although right now Melee isn't doing so well, I believe brawl is actually helping Melee. Most Smashers that were average or below average went to Brawl. That just means the only people left playing Melee are pros and the people that are passionate about Melee. Melee will just get ever better while Brawl... who cares. It'll do whatever it wants.

Skylord

Smash Apprentice
I'm happy with the way Melee is and I'm still gonna play it for at least a couple more years. However, what would REALLY be incredible, something that would make Melee live on forever... is a balance patch. An upgraded version. Something like, Melee v2.0.

You know, improving characters like Bowser, Luigi, etc., adding more levels, maybe some more and difficult ATs for the hardcore crowd... Hell, the possibilities are endless...

Well, it is a man's right to dream, isn't it?

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
^^^
That's not what it's like.

It's not like anything.

It's melee.
The analogy is correct, but the games are of a different caliber. In terms of CounterStrike, you can play either 1.6 or source, depending on your preferences, but in terms of Smash, Melee outperforms Brawl in terms of gameplay and load speed. x)

Music, graphics, and taking pictures when you pause shouldn't be factors in what game to play competitively.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
Eh?

I actually thought Melee killed Brawl xDDD I love Germany xDD My friend has got Brawl, when Im at his place I once tested them 3 Smashers (Pro-Am) and said :

''Hey how about a Brawl Match?? Losers out!''
and they were like :
''Shut up, brawl sucks'' xD That was a very good experience, I was just testing them

Ill tell ya whats with Sakurai :
• He wants Pros and Noobs to be at the same level without Advanced Techniques
• He made sure it would be all ''FUN'' and ''FUNNY'' by putting some annoying random trips so that the Smashers laugh.
• He hates Advanced Techniques, they dont belong to his Game basically^^
• So his aim is to make Brawl most less competetive which is impossible.
He wanted the Game to be Fun, an easy Combo game, always havin fun

And the results?
The game isnt half as good als Melee^^

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
super mario is me, but like germanic, and yeah tutata, click on ma name, see all the pics i did using my friends iphoto, or whatever it was, it's like weird but cool program on mac, mac still sucks teh boot, so no jahns

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
melee will be in the top while brawl slowly will be going down until a precise point that there would not be a lot of brawl tourneys..

mzink*

Smash Ace
I think the melee crowd will start to grow again once the Brawl hype dies down alil, granted it won't rival the brawl group in size but I don't think it will ever die, people will always be fighting for it.

Top Bottom