• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diamonds in the Rough: The South Team at FC

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Galt, hush please. Your walls of text aren't really doing anything to further the topic at hand, so take it to AIM if you want to show everyone how much you can type.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
DoH, for someone who likes to think of himself as a master debater, you sure just made an amateurish mistake. I'd like to see how you intend to explain a complicated point in anything less than detailed explanations. And I certainly don't see how I could show everyone how much I can type if I take it to AIM, which is private.

The fact is, this topic affects the whole Texas community. It may not be particularly relevant to the thread, but it is to some degree, and it's important anyway. If you've got a problem with what I said, great, but if you don't, don't bother trying to repeat what Drew's already said, because you're not even a moderator, and certainly don't try to make me look ridiculous, which is clearly what you were just doing.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
i agree, lets get back to south team, and how DoH is going to put me on it as you always need a friendly jew on there, and if he puts himself on there, well one doesnt suffice.

and on a side note:

The main issue here doesn't even lie with power rankings. It's simple and easy. Wobbles feels more welcome from the AZ crowd than the TX crowd, which I can easily tell from the crap TX did give, and some still do, to Wobbles compared to all the support I see AZ ppl give Wobbles all the time.

This isn't about a freakin number on a power rankings list.
i love chang and so should all of you

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Except your points aren't really complicated and all you do is reiterate the same point over and over without covering arguments made against it or other arguments. You ignored the entirety of fmatt's and anupam's posts and just proceeded to type your heart out, not only refusing to making a new point, but just rephrasing your original one. The point of my comment was obviously sarcastic, as you're doing nothing but beating a dead horse. You say that this topic affects Texas, but does it really? One, we've established that power rankings are arbitrary and don't really matter. Two, this argument probably isn't going to change whether Rob likes Texas any better or not. Three, this matter of Wobbles' level of respect has already been decided, as his numerous wins over the top players should have validated his level of respect.

The only people who gave Wobbles a cold reception were the people who didn't know him or who he was; people who weren't aware enough to remember him or his placements. Even though he's gone through plenty of name changes - from Prevenge to HonorBound to RobFlaco to Blind to Wobbles - it's not like his experience reset with each change. Only those who blindly clung to their heroes when the hierarchy of Texas smash was upset had a problem with wobbles. Wes played Wobbles a week after evo, recognized his skill, and promptly placed him top 4 on his list for the power rankings.

Wait, do I smell a test case? Wes, a relatively new player comes out of the blue and starts beating up on Crystal City. Do people alienate him? No, they recognize that he's a **** good player. If your theory is 'new players who beat the legends are alienated' then that certainly isn't always true, which means your 'thesis' isn't all encompassing. Part of this also extends from the fact that people HATE the Ice Climbers. It's like how people despise Peach; people always complain about your wins because you camped for a stitchface when you probably could have been killed with an ftilt, or how you only won because you have tons of really "gay" counterpicks. People hate ICs because not only are they weird (there's ****ing 2 of them!), but they're a change from the status quo of spacies and Marth (and a welcome one I feel). In fact, I'd go far as to say that Texas is quite conservative smashwise, since we're resistant to change from what we're used to.

There's absolutely no warrant as to why this is even relevant to anything going on in Texas, or why it's important. My problem is with you wasting people's time and detracting from the topic at hand; if you want to make a thread about your theory of 'new players being alienated' go ahead - we'll just see how long it stays open. My topic about the South team - at a tournament you're not going to - is not a soap box for you to wax poetic about something incredibly trivial.
---

Anyway, here's an update; I talked to forward (West Coast captain) and he said he would be up for joining forces this year, since West Coast has like 4 people coming and we're missing some of our strongest players since Jordan's a little girl. However, Kish Prime hasn't agreed to it; we'll have to wait for further discussion or until the actual event.

If anyone has any ideas about crews, feel free to send me an IM or PM.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
...Go back and reread every one of my posts, then try again. I directly answer every criticism, especially Anupam's, where I point out that he misused two quotes from me.

Now maybe I should do the same for you. You tried to dismantle my thesis by using Wes as an example, but left out the part where I directly addressed the relevance of the METHOD USED BY WOBBLES contributing to his alienation. Furthermore, Wes didn't immediately start beating the CC guys. He worked his way up through the scene first, and only fairly recently started beating Cave, and then losing to him again, and now he has one win against him.

I like how you point out this: "In fact, I'd go far as to say that Texas is quite conservative smashwise, since we're resistant to change from what we're used to." Which is something I've said in at least two of my posts, I believe.

So now I've dismantled both of your points which were caused by your inattention to my arguments, probably because they were "walls of text." I'll proceed by breaking down for you why this discussion is relevant to Texas.

You say that Wobbles won't change his opinion of Texas, but that's EXACTLY what I hope he does, and I've spent the last few posts attempting to show *him*, not you guys, exactly why I think he should do that. It wasn't quite obvious at first, but it has certainly become that way. And according to others, the issue of Wobbles's respect as a player has *not* been already established, which is something I have addressed directly (by saying that the detractors have been marginalized) and attacked (by saying that they should be ignored because they're irrelevant). Those things actually contribute to the idea that he should change his views about Texas.

That's what I want: I want Wobbles to give Texas players a second chance to treat him properly. I want him to not automatically side with AZ and the WC team when he lives and plays in TX. THAT is the relevance to the issue at hand. I want him to be willing to join the South team, even though he might still lean more toward the WC because he still associates himself more with AZ. I don't expect miracles, just a recognition from both sides that things have changed.

I don't want the issue of how Texas players treat Wobbles to ever be an issue again.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Last I talked to him, Wobbles was thinking of going back to AZ. ='(.

Oh, and back on topic: haha, just kidding

artarian

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, here's an update; I talked to forward (West Coast captain) and he said he would be up for joining forces this year, since West Coast has like 4 people coming and we're missing some of our strongest players since Jordan's a little girl. However, Kish Prime hasn't agreed to it; we'll have to wait for further discussion or until the actual event..
i really hope this happens

Kyle Broflovski

Smash Journeyman
Wobbles was a good player before he even left for AZ. Despite the size of TX smash being at a pretty high number. Wobbles is still one of the earlier smashers. Just that for awhile, he would finish below Drew and I in Dallas tournaments, but now he's back from AZ and proven that he's gotten a lot better than most of TX will ever be.

Wobbles, I'm sorry you feel that TX is no longer your home of Smash, butknow that you still have friends here and I'll support you despite my opposing opinion to wobbling.
I blame all the name changes. I still refer to Wobbles as HonorBound or the guy with the penguin that looks like Rob$.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Skill wasn't the issue; I was called names and treated unkindly as a person until people decided I wasn't a bad player. Now people who badmouthed me are friendly all of a sudden. I dislike being treated--personally--based on perceptions of my Smash abilities.

People in AZ liked me when I wasn't that good. Their opinion of me as a person was not in any way related to my skill.

I apologize for not having anything to add to the relevant discussion.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
Skill wasn't the issue; I was called names and treated unkindly as a person until people decided I wasn't a bad player. Now people who badmouthed me are friendly all of a sudden. I dislike being treated--personally--based on perceptions of my Smash abilities.

People in AZ liked me when I wasn't that good. Their opinion of me as a person was not in any way related to my skill.

I apologize for not having anything to add to the relevant discussion.
wobbles, I think you're an awesome person, but i only started thinking that at like the third tournament...and it had nothing to do with your smash skill, or what i thought about it. I remember the second tournament i saw you at, jordan said "good game" after beating you, to which you sarcastically replied, "not really". i remember a few things like this. but then at that dallas tournament, you were really outgoing and nice to everyone and really fun.

I'm not trying to insult you or anything because i think you're a cool person and have fun seeing you at tournaments, I'm just saying how you acted changed my opinion of you (and i know other people's opinions too)

<3

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, yeah, let's get back on topic everyone. I let it slide for a bit, but drew is right, discuss this further over IM or PM and get back to discussing the FC team.

Jake13

Smash Lord
DoH and Galt couldn't surpass a third grader's debating skill.

On a relative note, I already asked off of work for FCD, nukka.

G@BE

Smash Lord
Yea
I'm not sure when i can register though but i am going...
I can buy the plan ticket...

My credit card wont be at my house till Monday... hopefully
So there is a problem with that...
Who long do you think registration will be open for?

artarian

Smash Journeyman
registration will probably be open until the cap is reached. i registered today, i am number 83, so yeah.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The roster is up now.

www.meleefc.com/roster.php

So far it only looks like 4 texans are signed up..and 92 people have bought tickets so far and the cap is 180. So go register!!!

SOS registered at the melee-fc site but hasnt gotten an mlg ticket yet >_>.

The 4 people are:
artarian
G@be
Hylian
Sethlon

G@BE

Smash Lord
So far we have 4... maybe 5 if SOS registers soon....

So far it looks good but it also does not look like anyone big is showing so far on the roster... maybe i over looked something heh

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So far we have 4... maybe 5 if SOS registers soon....

So far it looks good but it also does not look like anyone big is showing so far on the roster... maybe i over looked something heh
Maybe only crap players will go and some average player will win a ****load of money XD.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
do we HAVE to pay now? cant we pay at the door like the other fcS?

You have to pay online because it they are doing it through MLG. No other option unless you get someone to buy it for you and pay them in cash.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
maybe lol

I hope like KDJ or M2k show up this year... or rather Isai that would be awesome
id rather have this happen

and i assume pc chris, milktea and all of those people are coming, see how they were posting a good amount on the FC thread. i would imagine pros would be coming as well, one of the biggest tournaments so far this year. OC doesnt happen til afterwards, and MLG has been doing well with the tournaments, whatever the first one was called and Pound 2.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Passes are all sold out..they are going to be upping the cap to 220 something probably so look out to buy them immediatly when they do if you plan on going guys..

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
So, this is the list of all people from texas who have officially registered;

Xelic
Smiles
Wobbles (if he wants to/the kishes make him be on south team)
DoH (Can you be on the team if you're the captain??)
Artarian
Hylian
Forkgirl
Gabe
Jesusfreak
Sethlon

SOS has said hes going, but he isnt on the roster =/ No FLT, caveman or rob$ either :(

DaShizWiz and KeepSpeedN are both registered. Theres a bunch of other florida people registered, too.

So could we get a "These are the guys im lookin at" list? Or will there just be a big try-out or something at FC-D?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
To be honest, it should be pretty blatant the people that I'm considering for the team, but I'm not posting anything at the moment. You guys will have to squabble amongst yourselves if you want to prove you have what it takes.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Is there by any chance thatKrazyKirbyKid will be goin.I never went to Evo South, so to see him in vids or bring mental orgy's to me.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I don't think so, but if you go to vid discussion there's vids of him in the 'new dallas vids' topic.

Top Bottom