• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Marketing and exposure are the biggest obstacles to everything. I have a game prototype done that I could finish, but dunno how to profit off of it... and made a working megaman engine too... but making money off of games is time consuming and requires an evil I do not contain.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS, I think you should write a book. I would certainly read it. General question, how do I get better at life?
Find goals, work towards goals, achieve goals, start over.

No more zero days. Every day you do something to move you forward, something to take a step forward. That's all it takes.

How do I overcome this ADHD that I never even try getting help for?
Get help for it would be my first step.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Marketing and exposure are the biggest obstacles to everything. I have a game prototype done that I could finish, but dunno how to profit off of it... and made a working megaman engine too... but making money off of games is time consuming and requires an evil I do not contain.
I have a quick question about Unity; how easy to use and efficient is Unity after you get aquainted with the engine? I've made a couple games and took a class in XNA, and find the transition from having to code everything and having complete control over my game to not being able to see all of the code executing a bit difficult. I feel restricted by the UI rather than helped by it, its systems seem to be fairly convoluted thus far, and they discourage using the backend so much that they don't even have examples of a lot of their API on their website. It feels like an engine made for an artist rather than a programmer, and it irks me to no end that they want to only give me partial control of my program.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
How do you cut out an inflated ego?
Read the section on Ignorance in the big post above, it about covers it.

If you are the "know it all" ego, ask yourself "Would I be willing to start a business in this field? Actually stop working and just pin my survival on my knowledge of this subject?" or something similar.

I know a decent bit about programming compared to what I knew a year or two ago. When I sit down and, in the course of a day, make something that a year ago I wouldn't consider possible it is easy to feel that I'm super talented in the field. I'm not, and I know this because the reason I could make that thing in the course of day is the knowledge gained over a year. If someone said "Hey, can you make a 3D platformer that reacts to vocal commands" I would have like 10% of the know-how in my head. My know-how now compared to a year ago is dwarfed by my know-how that I'll have a year from now.

What about things you actually somewhat talented at?

I started painting and after about 7 paintings on practice canvases, I thought "okay, I think I have this figured out" and I painted my eighth painting:

That's pretty ****ing good for painting #8.

This was my first:

That's a pretty big difference. I was pumped when I did that, because that eighth painting is actually on a large canvas while the first is on one of those smaller practice ones. I had more freedom, less restrictions, and managed to do painting #8 using Prussian Blue and Titanium White. Two colors!

That helped me know "how good" I was, it was a first step. I challenged myself by "upping the scale", so to speak, and I passed the test I set for myself with flying colors. It was the first painting I was actually proud of making, despite it not being perfect.

The next question is... can you do it again? Can you replicate those results?

Yes

I

Can

Wow, I'm the best!

Okay, okay, let's calm down. Maybe I can replicate these results, but can I, you know, teach someone else? Do I actually understand what I'm doing? If so, I should be able to show someone else.

I gave a painting lesson. That was that guy's first painting ever -- he had never held a paintbrush. We made it up as we went along.

Okay, still the best.

But these are all landscapes. While they're mostly what I'm interested in, I'd also like to paint cool **** from video games. That'd be tight.

I messed up on the first go around, took a picture, brought it into photoshop to edit the painting down to what I wanted it to roughly look like, then I went back and painted over the original to make it closer to what I wanted. Wasn't as easy as I thought, but I did it. Cloud Strife's sword has been painted by me, Overswarm, and it was my first time doing detail work AND my first time not using the wet-on-wet style. I'm the GREATEST. Look at how awesome I did on my first attempt at this entirely new style of painting!

Okay, okay, you were able to paint a new style of painting. But can you replicate that? Can you create a landscape painting that isn't reliant on wet-on-wet techniques, or are you just deliberately painting things you KNOW you can paint and then assuming it is success?

First non-wet-on-wet landscape painting is pretty good. Some rough spots, but still better than most would do on their first attempt at a new style.

So it's been decided. My inflated ego isn't "inflated", it's just real talent! I'm the greatest, super talented, everyone should love me and buy my paintings for a zillion dollars and bow to my superior skill. I'm suuuuuuuuuuuper awesome and the best.

My paintings:

Can clearly hang with professionals:

Wait a minute.

Oh.

Turns out looking inward is a really, REALLY ****ty method to actually assessing yourself.

Look at results and look at others.

You guys might have seen my paintings as I'm posting this and thought "wow, he actually is pretty good" but I'm not that great. I'm better than people who have never painted before, but it's not that hard to get to where I'm at. The only reason people might think otherwise is they haven't tried.

How many paintings have I sold? Zero. I haven't tried to sell any, but if my paintings looked like any of the professional's last three paintings someone would have spoken up and said "I WOULD LIKE TO EXCHANGE CURRENCY FOR YOUR ARTWORK".

Are my paintings going to stand out like a sore thumb when I put them next to actual professionals? Yes. Easily. It's not even close to a contest and is just a really, really easy way to say "lol you are a noob".

There is always room to grow. Always. Your current self is overshadowed by your future self if effort is applied.

I mean look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuPHubDUOOg

That's mew2king and King, both considered top players at the time. M2K is still a top player, but in that clip? I could beat both of those players now, easily. They suck because it's 2006 and no one knew wtf they were doing. The bar has been raised.

At the time? Ego might have been big because they had no idea how much higher the mountaintop went.

Ego is ignorance.

That's all it is.

Remember that and it's easy to stay humble.

I have a quick question about Unity; how easy to use and efficient is Unity after you get aquainted with the engine? I've made a couple games and took a class in XNA, and find the transition from having to code everything and having complete control over my game to not being able to see all of the code executing a bit difficult. I feel restricted by the UI rather than helped by it, its systems seem to be fairly convoluted thus far, and they discourage using the backend so much that they don't even have examples of a lot of their API on their website. It feels like an engine made for an artist rather than a programmer, and it irks me to no end that they want to only give me partial control of my program.
Unity is amazing.

You don't want control, you want results. If you can get results, you're golden. It might be frustrating to fit into the confines of a system, but Unity makes it to where you can get the results you want fairly easily without too much effort. It's not what is necessarily under the hood that counts, it isn't even the process that counts. It's results.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Exposing myself to all kinds of learning experiences helped me deflating my ego a lot. Like, I recently started to take singing lessons for no particular reason and it just helped me seeing things in a totally different way because I've basically forced myself out of my comfort zone. As in Overswarm's case with painting I can already see [or rather hear] the results after only a few lessons and it's a great feeling. You really get to understand the difference between a big ego and healthy confidence too.

:059:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Exposing myself to all kinds of learning experiences helped me deflating my ego a lot. Like, I recently started to take singing lessons for no particular reason and it just helped me seeing things in a totally different way because I've basically forced myself out of my comfort zone. As in Overswarm's case with painting I can already see [or rather hear] the results after only a few lessons and it's a great feeling. You really get to understand the difference between a big ego and healthy confidence too.

:059:

^this

When I was in high school I was good at everything I did. Why? Because I only did things I was good at.

What a ****ty way to go through life. So limiting.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Funnily enough I'm never good at anything. I'm a try-hard at everything.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Funnily enough I'm never good at anything. I'm a try-hard at everything.
Good is relative.

You can beat like infinite toddlers in a kickboxing tournament.

You could possibly be limited physically by genetic and environmental factors, exits that you've already passed. If this is the case, all is not lost -- you might not ever be the best at doing thing A or thing B, but you can be above average in terms of processes and behavior.

'That's Ranmaru. He is never late to work."

"Ranmaru is really good at couponing because he diligently spends one hour every day finding coupons."

"Ranmaru volunteers every week at a soup kitchen for the homeless."

etc., etc.

If you can't be good at a thing, have enviable behaviors or processes.

At minimum, you can exercise religiously.

"I run two to four miles every day. I also do anaerobic workouts to build muscle on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday."

All that takes is dedication and knowledge.

"But OS, I am overweight/lazy/have no time"

Make better priorities and deal

"But OS, I don't know how"

Learn how. Watch scooby, that guy is the ****. https://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961

If being good at something is important to you, start with behaviors and processes. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is a habit, not a virtue.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
wait wait wait wait wait.

Is Overswarm secretly Bob Ross? Is that why he's so wise?
That certainly explains the paintings...

As a child, OS was chosen by the Spirit of Bob Ross to obtain a lifetime's experience of art, knowledge, and a the most calming voice in the universe. OS's above average IQ was required to contain all of the Bob Rossiness, as the Spirit of Bob Ross wanted nothing to go to waste.

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
I have a question that usn't really related to dgames, but if I wanted to make flash games, how would I start? I I already know the basics of programming, but I wanted to see if anyone could point me in the right direction for programs and such. Thanks in advance!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I have a question that usn't really related to dgames, but if I wanted to make flash games, how would I start? I I already know the basics of programming, but I wanted to see if anyone could point me in the right direction for programs and such. Thanks in advance!
You would first need a time machine.

Flash is basically disappearing from... everywhere.

If you know the basics of programming, I would suggest using Unity or Unreal -- Unity's library isn't too hard and Unreal's blueprint system is neat if you aren't much of a programmer.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS is still here? That's coo
Update:

• I'm married, have house, dachshund puppy, and my wife is pregnant with mo/di twins due in September
  • I started learning to paint
  • I learned to code in C# so I could make video games, made a Megaman engine and a little two player platform puzzler and am looking for artists for asset creation
  • Pursuing a Master's in Organizational Development / Performance Improvement

Now you're all caught up with the main things going on in my life

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I was going to say vegas too far but its more far for you... nah.

Last edited:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Brawl dying is the best thing that could happen to you OS. You no longer have to spend all your time writing pro-ban walls of text. Really though, A+ post. Your bit about your paintings explained it perfectly for me, and this is something that's been on my mind a lot recently.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Brawl dying is the best thing that could happen to you OS. You no longer have to spend all your time writing pro-ban walls of text. Really though, A+ post. Your bit about your paintings explained it perfectly for me, and this is something that's been on my mind a lot recently.
There's still plenty of stuff in Smash 4 that is mind boggling to me. No customs, stage list is super small, etc.

I just don't have as much time to play any more and the money for winning a tournament is nonsense in terms of time spent. Even for national level tournaments, I'm just like "You cannot live off that".

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
Does anybody here have experience with mafiascum, and if so, would you recommend it? I'm just curious to see if I should check it out or not.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I do Epicmafia for turbomafia provided you play ranked and then hit 1,500 points.

I don't like mafia scum due to the 21 day DAY phases.

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
I don't like mafia scum due to the 21 day DAY phases.
21 days?!? That's absurd dude. What the heck? I'm guessing that either A) there's a lot less frequent activity there, or B) They have people with a LOT of time on their hands.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Does anybody here have experience with mafiascum, and if so, would you recommend it? I'm just curious to see if I should check it out or not.
Well here it used to be ten day deadlines, and I remember getting used to the 2 week deadlines. They post actively and have many different types of players, including lurkers and spammers.

I would say that playing there (especially in a newbie) will teach you alot. Don't be afraid of the deadlines. They play a bit more by the book, but its still fun.

I recommend it. If you don't like it you can use what you learn here and will make you feel accomplished somewhat. They even have guides.

Since there is a 2 week deadline for most, people don't all post within the same time so they pop up whenever they can.

If you don't want to try, I can link you some of my earlier mafiascum games so you can see how they run.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Our Civics teacher showed us Mr. Smith Goes to Washington today. It was MUCH better than expected, and shows the American Government's corruption (both 80 years ago, and now).

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
Our Civics teacher showed us Mr. Smith Goes to Washington today. It was MUCH better than expected, and shows the American Government's corruption (both 80 years ago, and now).
Is that a youtube video? If so, can you link it?

Top Bottom