• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Uncle Ruckus

Gorf|marshy
micheal didn't really hit me hard. Bernie Mac did though
it's funny cuz he's black

the only reason im comparing is cuz when he died ****** thought jackson was like a ****in saint. it kinda pissed me off actually cuz of the fact that... well he wasn't all that great at what he did. bernie and robin, personally are and will be missed for their contribution to culture. jackson lost that relevancy a while ago unless you count the child molesting

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I didn't care much for Michael Jackson before his death. I grew up in a time where, as you said, he was known for child molesting and all other sorts of problems. Kids would constantly joke about him. I remember once in class peeps were discussing their favorite artists. One kid said Michael Jackson and everyone looked at him like he was cray.

After his death, I came to understand who he was a lot more than I did growin up and came to appreciate his music that I had never really heard before that summer. It sucks that my gen didn't recognize his talent while he was alive and that he was shamed so greatly, because he really was a true artist imo.

Uncle Ruckus

Gorf|marshy
it's funny cuz he's black

the only reason im comparing is cuz when he died *****s thought jackson was like a ****in saint. it kinda pissed me off actually cuz of the fact that... well he wasn't all that great at what he did. bernie and robin, personally are and will be missed for their contribution to culture. jackson lost that relevancy a while ago unless you count the child molesting
***** dafuq? mjs molestation claims are one thing but to deny his talent n impact on performing n showmanship is malarkey

plus lets not forget he joined the right race in his lifetime which alone is worth respect

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
30% coding (yes, I do independent programming projects and since it's voluntary and out of interest I count it as entertainment)
30% chatting with people, networking, etc
10% online gaming
10% researching random topics that interest me
10% reddit, smashboards, various message boards, etc
5% watching TV shows and the like
5% reading out of print books

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Watching that Net Neutrality video was painful.
when he goes to north carolina, **** gets mad sad
30% coding (yes, I do independent programming projects and since it's voluntary and out of interest I count it as entertainment)
30% chatting with people, networking, etc
10% online gaming
10% researching random topics that interest me
10% reddit, smashboards, various message boards, etc
5% watching TV shows and the like
5% reading out of print books
forgot to include programming in my list

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I'm skeptical about reaching out to 'uneducated' people who remain unaware of problems because their initial absence of interest indicates that they have no inclination to be aware of the present issues. I believe that a large portion of kids in our age demographic get their news solely from The Daily Show or Colbert Report and treat the news they receive from these outlets as being largely true without bothering to fact check. And why would any sane person waste time being 'aware' of the 'current' issues when 1. awareness these days does not correspond to being able to have the resources to committing to an action and 2. current trends pass extremely quickly when someone is balancing at the very least a full time job even with virtually no social life.

In terms of general population the biggest problem is that this form of media only 1. raises awareness to 2. a certain demographic most likely 3. within our generation. The problem is that the population that has the most impact on the political process at the moment are the people who are 1. in control of politics and media to influence 2. who use clever crowd control mechanisms to keep our generation sedated on entertainment coping mechanisms while we need to collectively act on influence 3. the baby boomer generation in their mid 60s to understand the way we see things and have them aid us in making a difference in current politics since they are currently passive about big business since they are on their way out.

I don't blame anyone for remaining uninterested and uneducated in current events because our generation is incredibly passive about how we protest, enact changes, and try to influence the current issue between the corporate-political institution that has become engrained in all three branches of our government. We are a generation that is happy with "being heard" and not necessarily watching to see if anything is "being done." Precisely because of this companies can get away with killing at least thirty people by refusing to fix faulty cars (after the issue was known for years) after receiving a bailout from the government and the government simply fining the corporation to the equivalent of one week's worth if gross generated income (this case is about General Motors, but HSBC received a similar punishment for money laundering back in 2012) with them stating, "We don't find ourselves liable, but we do agree to pay the stipulated fine."

No one is bearing up arms because no one is forcing us to bear arms. Much like no one is forcing us to follow current events, hence why a large portion of the population chooses to try to assimilate the information passively. However, in the 1950's-1970's you saw some of the most proactive movements during this time period against the government precisely because of mandatory draft requirements by the U.S. government forcing citizens to participate in a war they did not want to be in. The Iraq War was a situation that a large majority of Americans felt was unnecessary, however no one rioted or took up arms because people personally weren't made to be victims to participate in it and the ramifications remained largely invisible to our daily activity.

It isn't surprising to see American corporations remain completely apathetic to the situation of the typical American and the strong lobby influence and people in politics becoming largely affected by a lobby oriented system. It's not the lobby system that's the root of the problem, but the fact that it exacerbates our fundamental failing as human beings to take on action against the status quo when it could potentially jeopardize our reputation, our life style, and our regular rituals no matter how much we complain about how broken the system is or how horrible our daily process has become.

Educating the uneducated is like telling a person that they need to eat the food on the plate in front of them. The most proactive these days retweet, share on tumblr, maybe put it in their facebook status, or give $5 to an indiegogo campaign parody of the system because that somehow will make a "viable" change rather than being some sarcastic metaphor taking up a seat in the legislative. People won't raid an empty Bank of America after-hours or vandalize any of the great Wall Street institutions because the government protects these institutions and the citizens have a fundamental fear of being put in jail as that would affect their economic situation and life entirely despite proactive radical groups using such methods to express dissatisfaction with the system.

When the citizens are created to fear institutions and institutions are chummy with the government then it's not surprising that institutions would lose touch with the demands and needs of the every day citizen. That is precisely why I'm skeptical that any institution expresses a desire for change, because they do not fear screwing over the customers or even the government since they know that at most they will have to pay a one or two week fine for doing something atrocious. However, if your every day Joe decides to vandalize an HSBC building with the words "*** you" they could be put in jail and lose all future job employment for the rest of his life. I'm not surprised that we're gradually becoming sedated. It's more convenient to rather laugh at the news, watch Orange is the New Black, buy Fifty Shades of Grey, and ease the daily pain away via the internet. That's life.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
yo, is the hella old Korean MMO called Conquer Online?

That **** used to be my jam
Nah, it's this old Nexon MMO that was adopted by Kru Interactive called Dark Ages (www.darkages.com). I REALLY liked the game as a wee-lad and it has kinda stuck with me despite its graphics not being comparable to modern day MMOs (albeit I find the graphics to be charming in a way). The game is really fluid and has cool mechanics, but it has a REALLY low population (like only 100~ish people online at all times) mostly because the game is pretty unforgiving and very difficult unless you have a strong player helping you out and leading you around.

If I ever start making some seriously phat bank, I'm going to give that game the love it deserves with some seriously huge updates and some graphic re-skins, and then make the game easier to get into for new players.

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Gorf|marshy
I didn't care much for Michael Jackson before his death. I grew up in a time where, as you said, he was known for child molesting and all other sorts of problems. Kids would constantly joke about him. I remember once in class peeps were discussing their favorite artists. One kid said Michael Jackson and everyone looked at him like he was cray.

After his death, I came to understand who he was a lot more than I did growin up and came to appreciate his music that I had never really heard before that summer. It sucks that my gen didn't recognize his talent while he was alive and that he was shamed so greatly, because he really was a true artist imo.
***** dafuq? mjs molestation claims are one thing but to deny his talent n impact on performing n showmanship is malarkey

plus lets not forget he joined the right race in his lifetime which alone is worth respect
...yeeeea im never gonna be able to say that michael was anything more than what bieber was when he first started: a kid with hella talent who happened to manage the resources around him properly. for michael it was his family (whether or not that's what he wanted isn't the point). for beebz it was youtube. both very good singers. but, to me, nothing more. postmortem changes my opinion not a bit. jackson was a talented performer. but he wasn't nearly as good as people made em out to be. he was simple, and popular. which people flood.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Is it online?
Yep! You can play it at fantasystrike.com

There are 20 characters. They have 1 free on a rotating basis, and the others can be played by spending purple tokens (you get some to start the day off, as well as for your first win, and on random 'critical hits'), or spending gold. Gold is bought with real money and works out to around 10 cents per play in the smallest denomination.

Alternatively, you can unlock the entire base set (10 chars) or the entire expansion set (10 chars) for a 1-time payment of $15 per set.

If you decide you want to start playing, use this link so I get referral bonuses.

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?register&ref=Raziek

Last edited:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
No wonder you and I are kindred spirits.
Nah, it's this old Nexon MMO that was adopted by Kru Interactive called Dark Ages (www.darkages.com). I REALLY liked the game as a wee-lad and it has kinda stuck with me despite its graphics not being comparable to modern day MMOs (albeit I find the graphics to be charming in a way). The game is really fluid and has cool mechanics, but it has a REALLY low population (like only 100~ish people online at all times) mostly because the game is pretty unforgiving and very difficult unless you have a strong player helping you out and leading you around.

If I ever start making some seriously phat bank, I'm going to give that game the love it deserves with some seriously huge updates and some graphic re-skins, and then make the game easier to get into for new players.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
**** is getting mad real out there in ferguson

heh acro, and even when Americans surprisingly do get riled up enough about something to go out and protest about it, they get met with a SWAT team, armored vehicles, rifles pointed in their face, and eventually bombed with tear gas

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Uhh, I'm not an expert or anything, and I'm sure sometimes the SWAT team scenario does happen, but I have to imagine it's pretty rare. People protest stuff all the time.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
it's not rare

case in point: Occupy Protests

what's rare is ppl actually protesting on a barely substantial scale

The militarization of the police is definitely very real and is due the armed forces giving (or selling very cheaply) extra old military equipment to local police departments.

and if your reaction to primarily innocent protesters getting rifle sights trained on them, tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets and coming face to face with a tank is "oh well at least it doesn't happen often" then i think you're kinda missin the issue

ha... i just edited my post right b4 yu posted, i would restore it but it looks like smashboards don't let users see their own edit histories anymore

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
it's not rare

case in point: Occupy Protests

what's rare is ppl actually protesting on a barely substantial scale

The militarization of the police is definitely very real and is due the armed forces giving (or selling very cheaply) extra old military equipment to local police departments.

and if your reaction to primarily innocent protesters getting rifle sights trained on them, tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets and coming face to face with a tank is "oh well at least it doesn't happen often" then i think you're kinda missin the issue

ha... i just edited my post right b4 yu posted, i would restore it but it looks like smashboards don't let users see their own edit histories anymore
@#HBC | Red Ryu Make it happen please @ bolded.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
So yeah, I'm still a pre-30 looking for advice.

My dominant game play so far has been to play Lux mid and push around 4-5 and to start seriously engaging around 6 when my ult kicks in with ridiculous range to finish them off from within their own tower defense. My rune page contains full sets of tier 2: magic penetration, armor, and static AP with my quintessence also being an AP booster.

I initially run a dorian ring/free ward setup with 1 health potion and 1 mana potion. I never ever use the potions though because when I die I'm too preoccupied with escaping from a stun at pre-6 and I'm usually done for because I had overextended. Usually I'm fairly dominant in lane with having a ridiculous range on my "e" resulting in the enemy getting harassed and constantly backing off. When I sense that I'm lane dominant I buy a second dorian and utilize my "q" and "e" for harassing and at level 6 I pursue for the kill.

I'm relatively aggressive (compared to the people I play against) around the end of laning phase and try to get my opponent's tower down by early mid-game so I can assist other lanes (if they are falling behind) by going through the jungle and snaring enemies from the bush (mostly moving to bot since the support is a squishy).

As a mid, what minimal conditions do you feel must be fulfilled in your lane before you assist other lanes i.e. top and bot assuming mostly neutral early game conditions? As a general thumb of thumb, should you at least destroy your enemy's primary tower before assisting other champions in helping to finish off their opponent's primary tower? How are health and mana pots best utilized and do you feel that I should still purchase them on a champ that has built-in stun/slow in their tool-kit to kill/run away from opposing champs?

As a Lux-mid am I right in pushing during mid-game to push objectives? I'm aware that many champs have scaling AP resistance and I've read/noticed that the effect of my gold dominance on the other team maximizes around level 14-15 and tapers off drastically afterwards so I want to end the game relatively early while I'm at my peak as a champion. However, who do you feel should control the pacing of the game? Is it purely situational i.e. the person with the greatest skill/ability in influencing champ crowd-fights or should champions pursue the optimal level of play they can accomplish according to their own champ's build?

Also just putting it out there, but I don't really see Lux as a 'support.' Her tool-kit is again incredibly versatile as she has SNARE and SLOW with the slow being an open-option initiation attack on bubble burst followed with ray of light. And also she provides a shield. However, her tools still feel incomplete as a support player with other supports performing the same functions but doing it much more effectively i.e. Morgana/Thresh is able to snare + pull in champions with Leona having a much more effective stun and tankier build.

In late game I feel like I have to play second support. If I try to push objectively independently I'm more often than not punished if I don't go in with a full tool-kit. I always journey with someone and start engaging teamfights by shielding my party from back lane and then moving forward to assist in killing with my "e" and then move to the front when retreating by snaring/slowing the advance of the enemy while trying to stay alive at the same time. At this point I'm mostly built primarily on stacks of AP and magic penetration with Zhonya's as a last ditch decoy/defense/time waster but mostly insufficient as a valid defense and get ripped to shreds within two attacks.

I want to understand though if this is 'appropriate' for my champion and that I'm utilizing her optimally.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
My KDR is usually incredibly lackluster. I'm usually around 8/8/??? in most situations.

Last edited:

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
So yeah, I'm still a pre-30 looking for advice.

My dominant game play so far has been to play Lux mid and push around 4-5 and to start seriously engaging around 6 when my ult kicks in with ridiculous range to finish them off from within their own tower defense. My rune page contains full sets of tier 2: magic penetration, armor, and static AP with my quintessence also being an AP booster.

I initially run a dorian ring/free ward setup with 1 health potion and 1 mana potion. I never ever use the potions though because when I die I'm too preoccupied with escaping from a stun at pre-6 and I'm usually done for because I had overextended. Usually I'm fairly dominant in lane with having a ridiculous range on my "e" resulting in the enemy getting harassed and constantly backing off. When I sense that I'm lane dominant I buy a second dorian and utilize my "q" and "e" for harassing and at level 6 I pursue for the kill.

I'm relatively aggressive (compared to the people I play against) around the end of laning phase and try to get my opponent's tower down by early mid-game so I can assist other lanes (if they are falling behind) by going through the jungle and snaring enemies from the bush (mostly moving to bot since the support is a squishy).

As a mid, what minimal conditions do you feel must be fulfilled in your lane before you assist other lanes i.e. top and bot assuming mostly neutral early game conditions? As a general thumb of thumb, should you at least destroy your enemy's primary tower before assisting other champions in helping to finish off their opponent's primary tower? How are health and mana pots best utilized and do you feel that I should still purchase them on a champ that has built-in stun/slow in their tool-kit to kill/run away from opposing champs?

As a Lux-mid am I right in pushing during mid-game to push objectives? I'm aware that many champs have scaling AP resistance and I've read/noticed that the effect of my gold dominance on the other team maximizes around level 14-15 and tapers off drastically afterwards so I want to end the game relatively early while I'm at my peak as a champion. However, who do you feel should control the pacing of the game? Is it purely situational i.e. the person with the greatest skill/ability in influencing champ crowd-fights or should champions pursue the optimal level of play they can accomplish according to their own champ's build?

Also just putting it out there, but I don't really see Lux as a 'support.' Her tool-kit is again incredibly versatile as she has SNARE and SLOW with the slow being an open-option initiation attack on bubble burst followed with ray of light. And also she provides a shield. However, her tools still feel incomplete as a support player with other supports performing the same functions but doing it much more effectively i.e. Morgana/Thresh is able to snare + pull in champions with Leona having a much more effective stun and tankier build.

In late game I feel like I have to play second support. If I try to push objectively independently I'm more often than not punished if I don't go in with a full tool-kit. I always journey with someone and start engaging teamfights by shielding my party from back lane and then moving forward to assist in killing with my "e" and then move to the front when retreating by snaring/slowing the advance of the enemy while trying to stay alive at the same time. At this point I'm mostly built primarily on stacks of AP and magic penetration with Zhonya's as a last ditch decoy/defense/time waster but mostly insufficient as a valid defense and get ripped to shreds within two attacks.

I want to understand though if this is 'appropriate' for my champion and that I'm utilizing her optimally.
@ #HBC | Acrostic #HBC | Acrostic

Firstly if you get stunned, if you aren't already, use your binding to disengage fights and to scare the jungle / your laner. You'll find if you keep your opponent lower like around half, junglers will think twice on ganking because thier mid laner doesn't wanna die helping.

Secondly most roaming is best left till past level 6 cause this in when you get your first big power spike. Generally with champs with great waveclear (Lux, Syndra, Orianna, Ziggs) you can try to create opportunities every time you clear a wave, kill your lane opponent or even send them back. Generally avoid leaving constantly though as you'll fall behind in cs pretty fast and possibly lose tower.

In an ideal world you only ganking when.you know you can make a play, but dont underestimate what pushing a enemy out of lane can mean especially if your lanes are having a rough go. Sometimes they just need that opponent chased off.

Another big thing is dont be in too much a rush to get tower. From your indication it seems you have great timing. Just understand though that if your really ahead and can secure global gold visa vie a tower, dont be scared to take it earlier. It not only advances your teams map control, but allows you to roam wherever you like to assist other lanes.

Thirdly, sustain is almost always 100% necessary in lane, due to not having any will see you get bullied out of lane because sustain allows you to trade more effectively, not to mention you won't always have your snare or slow up to stop a gank / possible kill. If you can kill a jungler or your lane opponent during a gank or just normally, you should definitely try to. Just remember aggression can cost you. Flashing for the last spell and auto may get you first blood but now you need to be passive due to your lack of escape.

Fourth, the pace of the game from my experience can vary. Some players are just better at realizing what needs pushing / doing than others and some don't. Usually the more fed players like to take those reigns due to "listen / follow me cause im fed so I'll carry. " You as a player need to objectively analyze if what your doing will pay off long term. For example if your taking a dragon while they push down your inner mid turret, then its probably not worth thr gold for what your losing. This extends to teamfights too, going in guns blazing 4v5 is likely to cost you unless you're ludicrously ahead. Especially once towers are down grouping is the best because players alone are gonna get ganked / collapsed on. A good general rule is of you dont see 3+ heroes on the map, assume they are coming for you.

Each champ should pursue the optimal play for both themselves AND their team.

Lux by definition isnt really one, people just like her due to providing a very strong kill lane potential. Her burst, cc and damage make her a aggressive support. What you have to remember is a lot of AP champs can move around and perform if built a certain way. Morganna herself was a strong AP mid laner because tormented soil was great for farming, she has a strong snare and pretty big cc with her ultimate. She fell off due to nerfs and just better laners. Plus her passive makes trading very efficient and you can easily push them under tower fo force them to cs there and such.

In the same way, Lulu started as a support until people realized her q harass made her a mid lane bully, her speed up and shield and ult all provide great utility and survival ability and with a liandries/void staff and ryleighs you just die so easily to her. Niw she's transitioned to tp, the idea behind her in these lanes is essentially: good enough AP scaling and great utility, then just add damage somewhere else.

Your teamfight seems pretty solid make sure you get in range to set off your passive as sadly luxs is not like Leonas where other champs can set it off. Also remember to use all your abilities, then your ult as it does trigger her passive consuming her illuminate marks.

Also remember illuminate can trigger other on hit effects, a pretty mean build i used to like was athenes, sorc boots, ryleighs because forever slowed more (although stun and slow makes this item kinda meh), liandries because proc on slow, snare and auto attacks that consume illuminate stacks.( you set off a mark it'll trigger liandries), Lich bane because on hit effects are triggered so you cast, get a illuminate mark and auto and you hit like a truck due to Lich bane passive, rabadons because best ap item and void staff because magic pen is overpowered especially early game and luxs passive stacks with AP. Zhonyas can take ryleighs place cause you just activate it right after throwing all your spells out to basically get two casts of everything but you ult all in a relatively short burst. Morellonomicon is also quite good for cdr/mana and the grievous wounds which will help you kill tanks and iirc can trigger on your auto-attacks that cosume illuminate stacks.

Your runes can and should once playing at a higher level, change with who your facing. Armor does yu little good vs a Vladimir that's only gonna cast on you. Beyond that i liked magic pen because you can never have too much of a good thing, and cdr necause lux benefits so heavily from it. Just being able to ult like every 40 seconds iirc plus lower time between snares and slows can be a massive boon if your kiting (fighting while running away), not to mention that more spells means more chances to slam people with your passive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom