• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.G.

Smash Apprentice
How many of you are going to be in town on the 19th? I'm sure that's spring break for everyone. I might hold a brawl tourny doubles and singles and a sfiv side event for that tourny not sure if its ps3 or 360 yet. But the location will be the marriot in that buisiness cluster on campbell, and greenvile. Litterally down the street from our utd spot. Can I get a head count on who can come and bring set ups so I can see if its really worth it if I go get that venue.
sombody say street fighter 4? ill show if i can jus send me the date and info about it in pm

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
How many of you are going to be in town on the 19th? I'm sure that's spring break for everyone. I might hold a brawl tourny doubles and singles and a sfiv side event for that tourny not sure if its ps3 or 360 yet. But the location will be the marriot in that buisiness cluster on campbell, and greenvile. Litterally down the street from our utd spot. Can I get a head count on who can come and bring set ups so I can see if its really worth it if I go get that venue.
you might wanna choose a new date, this event is on that day:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=265460
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEjYQJfLaTQ

MxT

Smash Rookie
Nice man!

But you Diddy was so good. I was looking forward to playing with you again. :(
^^ I don't think we've ever played to my knowledge, thx anyway.

I was being nice. I was just asking him who he was again but since he's leaving I guess it doesn't matter.
lol I'm not Korean so couldn't leave smash for SC2 even if i wanted to, I'm just a huge fan. I've been to a few of your smash fests, I usually team with Popcornio.

Jo0

Smash Cadet
I'll look into on changing the date. Plus this was originally intended for my old high school, but I am hosting it so I want them to get a taste of what real tournies feel like. I hope I can get enough set ups. I want to make SFIV a main event also, but I don't know how many people in the dallas area use sticks in SFIV,how many dual mod,which console, which pad, do they are about using ps3/360 controllers...etc etc..

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I want to make SFIV a main event also, but I don't know how many people in the dallas area use sticks in SFIV,how many dual mod,which console, which pad, do they are about using ps3/360 controllers...etc etc..
Go 360. That's what Dallas uses at their Street Fighter tournaments. They're easier to come across than PS3s. Trust me on this.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
joo, go 360. You can provide ps2->360 converters like i do for 27$ each(plus shipping) for people who want to use a playstation pad. 360 is all around a less cumbersome system for tournaments.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Except... they are fail? Like, I can't think of any reason one would be better than the other except preference/fanboyism.

Plenty of PS3 system tournaments have been held, just like 360 ones have.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Don't 360s have a tendency to be more likely to screw up on you than a PS3 via RRoD, or some other technical issue?

I think that's what Tyson was getting at.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Haha, at Target it's the opposite atm.

I won't lie though, PS3s were pretty ****ty at the outset. I have an ex-60 gig PS3 though (has 500 now) and have been upgrading it and tinkering with it a ton and no issues.

Jo0

Smash Cadet
I don't have any ps2/3 > 360 adapters. Nor do I plan on buying them for my own. My TE stick is dual modded so I don't have to worry about myself. Now if I do hold this tourny and you guys plan on coming do you think you can bring those along? Plus I don't think I'll beable to get enough 360/ps3 setups for the SFIV which is why I'm thinking of holding it as a side tourny since its going to go by really slow.

Side note: I play SFIV on the PC...yes i know :( I'm trying to get a ps3 so I can play tekken 6, SFIV, and soul calibur.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
I'm really happy Brawl made it into the MLG 2010 Lineup. I may not play the game anymore, but Brawl is undeniably hype and will bring a lot to the upcoming events.

As for SFIV, they're probably still not sure about which version of the game to use lol. They know most of the community is going to want Super, but with the game coming out in April, it's going to miss the first part of the MLG competitions.

Jo0

Smash Cadet
I think it'll all change to super since it will have a bigger cast and more dynamic (I think, with the new ultras). My main hope is that they take out short cut motions. Mistaking my QFC motion for a Shoryuken is getting really tarded. And I'm sure of that because I'm staring at my input display.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
1. 360 is cheaper. Therefore, more people have it. Therefore, more people would be more willing to bring a setup.
2. The menu is more basic. The game is in the first screen that pops up with a big pretty picture. Even before i owned one of the next gen systems. this was evident.
3. Loading times are shorter on 360, even if the ps3 installs the game.
4. The system itself is lighter and less cumbersome to carry.
5. Hard drives can be easily put on any system. This means that if a TO wanted to buy a couple small 20 gig drives and just put them on some 360s for the characters, etc., then he could. With ps3, either you have all the data, or you don't.
6. It only cost me apx. 35$ to make a playstation style pad work on 360 with no lag, no bugs, nothing. You would have to mod an existing 360 controller to make it work on ps3. Asking people to mod something just to play is ridiculous.
7. 360 makes WIRED controllers. This means that players can simply plug and play their pads without having to sync anything. Therefore, saving time and confusion from the people who never have sync'ed controllers before.

And yes, of course, there are minuses like the free spinning disc tray and some other things, but the pros outweigh the cons as far as convenience goes.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Why are are you siding with take's reply, Gnes? Lol, most of the stuff he said was plain ******** outside of number 1 and number 6.

First of all... LOL at number 2 as an argument. The games being played should all be selected and running before the tournament starts anyway, and, assuming people played something on their PS3 before turning it off, it will also be selected.

Number 4 is absolutely ******** as well. Both consoles are similarly bulky in their own right (slim versions not included), but the XBOX has the added bulk of a huge external power adapter and giant brick sized controllers.

Number 5 is also a very weak argument. It's assumed that people need to have all the necessary things unlocked in a game for it to be used in tournament. Regardless, save files can be easily transferred from system to system in any game for unlocks and such. Why would you spend 43 dollars on an external hard drive? BTW, your two 20 gig HDs would run you like 80 dollars new, the same that it costs you to buy a 500 gig HDD for the PS3).

Loading times are entirely dependent on the game and how they were developed. Whichever console they were developed for originally has the lower loading times, the ports usually get the **** in that regard (in this case, Bayonetta was a PS3 port and it's terrible with loading times). Hell, Uncharted 2 doesn't even HAVE loading times. Loading times on fighting games are tiny for both systems.

7 is also stupid. Just tell people to bring a USB cable with them for synching or have one available. People aren't so ******** that they'll literally be confused by synching stuff. Also, most people play with sticks anyway, which are wired.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
why Are Are You Siding With Take's Reply, Gnes? Lol, Most Of The Stuff He Said Was Plain ******** Outside Of Number 1 And Number 6.

First Of All... Lol At Number 2 As An Argument. The Games Being Played Should All Be Selected And Running Before The Tournament Starts Anyway, And, Assuming People Played Something On Their Ps3 Before Turning It Off, It Will Also Be Selected.

Number 4 Is Absolutely ******** As Well. Both Consoles Are Similarly Bulky In Their Own Right (slim Versions Not Included), But The Xbox Has The Added Bulk Of A Huge External Power Adapter And Giant Brick Sized Controllers.

Number 5 Is Also A Very Weak Argument. It's Assumed That People Need To Have All The Necessary Things Unlocked In A Game For It To Be Used In Tournament. Regardless, Save Files Can Be Easily Transferred From System To System In Any Game For Unlocks And Such. Why Would You Spend 43 Dollars On An External Hard Drive? Btw, Your Two 20 Gig Hds Would Run You Like 80 Dollars New, The Same That It Costs You To Buy A 500 Gig Hdd For The Ps3).

Loading Times Are Entirely Dependent On The Game And How They Were Developed. Whichever Console They Were Developed For Originally Has The Lower Loading Times, The Ports Usually Get The **** In That Regard (in This Case, Bayonetta Was A Ps3 Port And It's Terrible With Loading Times). Hell, Uncharted 2 Doesn't Even Have Loading Times. Loading Times On Fighting Games Are Tiny For Both Systems.

7 Is Also Stupid. Just Tell People To Bring A Usb Cable With Them For Synching Or Have One Available. People Aren't So ******** That They'll Literally Be Confused By Synching Stuff. Also, Most People Play With Sticks Anyway, Which Are Wired.
<3 Px .

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Yeah, picking 360 over PS3 would be ******** as ****.

It'd be like, I dunno, maining Ness or something. What a dumb choice.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: It's not april fools yet silly. That would have been a good one though. ( Can't wait till we play in tourney again;))

Oh, and PX just ***** that argument.:)

Gnes

Smash Master
Why are are you siding with take's reply, Gnes? Lol, most of the stuff he said was plain ******** outside of number 1 and number 6.

First of all... LOL at number 2 as an argument. The games being played should all be selected and running before the tournament starts anyway, and, assuming people played something on their PS3 before turning it off, it will also be selected.

Number 4 is absolutely ******** as well. Both consoles are similarly bulky in their own right (slim versions not included), but the XBOX has the added bulk of a huge external power adapter and giant brick sized controllers.

Number 5 is also a very weak argument. It's assumed that people need to have all the necessary things unlocked in a game for it to be used in tournament. Regardless, save files can be easily transferred from system to system in any game for unlocks and such. Why would you spend 43 dollars on an external hard drive? BTW, your two 20 gig HDs would run you like 80 dollars new, the same that it costs you to buy a 500 gig HDD for the PS3).

Loading times are entirely dependent on the game and how they were developed. Whichever console they were developed for originally has the lower loading times, the ports usually get the **** in that regard (in this case, Bayonetta was a PS3 port and it's terrible with loading times). Hell, Uncharted 2 doesn't even HAVE loading times. Loading times on fighting games are tiny for both systems.

7 is also stupid. Just tell people to bring a USB cable with them for synching or have one available. People aren't so ******** that they'll literally be confused by synching stuff. Also, most people play with sticks anyway, which are wired.
Firstly i dont think take was arguing, just stating certain things that he has perceived. No need for bias son. The only problem that comes with 360 controllers come with playing fighting games, which u shouldnt be, thats what pads are for.

For number 5 take was just saying that it is easier in the event that data is not there for it to be swapped between 360 users.

Number 7 once again was a issue of convenience.

It seems like u were trying to make this a "which system is better" thing from that "brick statement", and to that I shake my head.
Pc is better than both systems.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
PX, stop trying to argue. I actually gave reasons why i believe its more convenient to run tourneys on 360. Maybe you should, i dunno, actually RUN an event before you judge? Or hell, even play real fighting games at a high level for that matter...

Also, real cool making fun of 360 pad. I gaurantee that I can find players that would beat the living hell out of you in countless fighting games... with the "brick." It's a controller style and a preference by many. I provide ps2 controllers so i can accommodate the ps3 players, its not like i just say "derpa derp you suck ahahah gtfo ps3 users!!!!!!" or force them to mod their controller for 50+ dollars

Once again, stop trying to argue, Juan. If you love the system so much, host your own events.

Also, just cause i like to point out your lack of knowledge in this department, 20 gig hard drives are 49.99 at gamestop.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Notice I said TWO hard drives, since that's what you said "a couple" in the argument in favor. This isn't about which system is better, this is about debunking your weak arguments in favor, because I said that neither system is hard to host with. We all know the real reason you're getting all pissy and insulting towards me (omg, I should care that people that play fighting games while I don't can beat me? I'll make sure to remember that pro gamers are better than me at games in the future during debates, because that is a NEWS FLASH) is because you have no argument and really just want to use the 360 because it's what YOU'RE used to and because you had a bad experience with Pozerwolf.

Also, notice I said that I didn't have a counterargument to your providing controllers and the difficulty of modding XBOX controllers for PS3 use, so way to get inflamed about nothing.

Just a lot of exposure going on here.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
50$ + 50$ makes 100$. not "about 80".

jesus juan, stop trying to argue. This isnt even a discussion. Joo wanted to know what system to use, i gave him my input from the stance of one who actually runs tournaments

STOP ARGUING

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Wait... what kind of hard drives are you talking about? Because I bought a 500gig Western Digital SATA 2.5" HDD replacement for my PS3 for literally 80 dollars. You can go with any brand there, not just the brand of the console.

If you're talking about small portable drives, my argument was that they aren't necessary because you can just transfer fsave files on any thumb drive and taht all the consoles for use should have everything unlocked at the time of tournament anyway.

And you can keep saying "one who actually runs tournaments" but that doesn't change the fact taht tournaments are run all the time on both consoles and there is NO REASON he should choose one over the other except ease of obtaining the consoles.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
i thought the standard for fighters like sf 4 was ps3?
ps3/ playstation was the standard for most of console arcade fighter history(from like the 90's and up) because the controller style was preferred by pad users. Also, the main fighters (mvc2, 3rd strike, etc) only had 1 decent port, and that was on playstation.

Nowadays, since both ps3 and 360 have the same fighting games that are played by the competitive community, there is no "standard." Ps2 pads can be used on 360 for a low price, so there is no need to stay exclusive in order to use the "good" controller.

Allot of people(myself included back in the day) think that the ps3 is still a "standard" due to tradition and just general assuming, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom