• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Depreciated 1.04] DACUS thread - A list of all of the notable DACUS's in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Simply put, I went through the entire roster (that took a while, let me tell you) and tested them all for DACUS potential. I also checked multiple timings of the DACUS, as it seems there is roughly a 4 frame window and you can have different results depending on which frame you cancel the dash attack.

I did this simply by going to training mode and setting the speed to 1/4. This allowed to me test the DACUS for each character with A > Up+A, which is the only way to do DACUS at this point in time.

I'm only mentioning characters with notable DACUS's, anyone not listed doesn't have anything special with theirs. Feel free to experiment and see if anyone else has anything of note, I'm fairly sure I have everything here but if anyone else finds something, I will add that too.

Terminology:
DACUS - Dash Attack Cancelled Up-Smash
Hyphen Usmash - The act of doing a running Up-smash
JC Usmash - Jump Cancelled Up-Smash. In this post, all referenced to JC
FD - Final Destination. All DACUS's are measured by how far they travel along this stage.

Notable DACUS:
Donkey Kong :4dk:
1/4 FD, The timing on this has to be very late in order to get the slide. [Source, Credit to @ R RascalTheCharizard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6VDGDxXLbY]

Fox:4fox:
1/4 FD, which is only a slight increase over his hyphen Usmash.

Game & Watch:4gaw:
Total halt.

Ganondorf:4ganondorf:
1/3 FD, The timing is very strict. [Source, Credit to @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG hhttps://vine.co/v/OAQtn1qE1L1]

Greninja:4greninja:
7/8 FD, The timing for this is very strict too. [Source, Credit to @ Kofu Kofu https://vine.co/v/OAQxKbIuwJb]

Jigglypuff:4jigglypuff:
3/16 FD.

Mii Gunner:4miigun:
3/16 FD.

Robin:4robinm::4robinf:
1/4 FD.

Rosalina:rosalina:
Her DACUS is nothing different from hyphen Usmash, but by doing this, Rosalina does a Usmash while Luma does a dash attack.

Sheik:4sheik:
1/3 FD.

Shulk:4shulk:
1/4 FD, DACUS distance is not effected by Monado arts.

Sonic:4sonic:
1/3 FD, This travels the same distance as his JC Usmash, but doing a DACUS will gives you the starting SFX of his dash attack.

T.Link:4tlink:
3/16 FD, which is only a slight increase over his hyphen Usmash.

Villager:4villager::4villagerf:
1/4 FD, The timing on this is tight, and you need to cancel the Dash attack early on for the full slide, cancelling later will give you next to no slide.

Wario:4wario::4wario2:
1/4 FD, and he only travels while charging, as soon as you let go of charge, he completely halts.

Yoshi:4yoshi:
Total halt.

Last edited:

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Rosalina's seems interesting. Being able to attack horizontally and vertically at the same time could be useful against a ZSS or Sheik who could either be using their Down B or dash attack. I wonder if you can cancel her dash attack any other way, and have Luma still attack?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Rosalina's seems interesting. Being able to attack horizontally and vertically at the same time could be useful against a ZSS or Sheik who could either be using their Down B or dash attack. I wonder if you can cancel her dash attack any other way, and have Luma still attack?
You can, actually! you can cancel a dash attack with a dash grab, this does really do much other than add 3% to the opponent when you grab them. but I'm almost certain there are other applications possible with it considering the weird antiair-esque arc luma follows for a dash attack.

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the data!
Rosalina's dash grab allows her to grab downed opponents, and it might also be able to beat quick pokes that would otherwise beat her grab.

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Doesn't it make her grab super safe in general, as the dash attack from Luma combined with her grab will connect on any opponent that's shielding, spot dodging or laying on the ground? If you get a guarenteed follow up out of her grab with her Fair, it's a true combo that does it least 25% which isn't bad.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Doesn't it make her grab super safe in general, as the dash attack from Luma combined with her grab will connect on any opponent that's shielding, spot dodging or laying on the ground? If you get a guarenteed follow up out of her grab with her Fair, it's a true combo that does it least 25% which isn't bad.
The luma dash attack and rosalinas grab happen at almost identical times, so it will still get beaten out by a spot dodge.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Wouldn't a hyphen (running) usmash and JC usmash be the same thing? You can't immediately transition into an usmash from a run without jump cancelling first as far as I'm aware. Unsure why you have these terms separately listed since we are only talking about moving usmashes here.

Last edited:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Thanks for doing this! Just a note, "hyphen smash" is pretty much a dead term. Its just a JC Usmash.

*EDIT: Didn't see the post above mine! But yes, they're one and the same. The reason that term "Hyphen Smash" was even coined, was because in Brawl you could do an usmash while running by simply tapping up on the c-stick, that didn't work in Melee (you had to hit up + A), so it became less obvious to the inexperienced eye that they were indeed the same thing.

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
If you turn tap-jump off then yes, you can do a running up-smash without jump-cancelling, at least with Sonic.

Edit: Nevermind, maybe that's just his sliding screech-stop transitioning into the up-smash (i.e. the run is technically ended when you stop holding sideways??) idk...

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Wouldn't a hyphen (running) usmash and JC usmash be the same thing? You can't immediately transition into an usmash from a run without jump cancelling first as far as I'm aware. Unsure why you have these terms separately listed since we are only talking about moving usmashes here.
Thanks for doing this! Just a note, "hyphen smash" is pretty much a dead term. Its just a JC Usmash.

*EDIT: Didn't see the post above mine! But yes, they're one and the same. The reason that term "Hyphen Smash" was even coined, was because in Brawl you could do an usmash while running by simply tapping up on the c-stick, that didn't work in Melee (you had to hit up + A), so it became less obvious to the inexperienced eye that they were indeed the same thing.
I'm afraid to correct you both, but they are actually different things! See, if you're like me, and you like to do U-airs without burning your second jump, you need to turn tap jump off. despite having tap jump off I'm still able to do a running Usmash, while they look the same they are fundamentally different and the physics behind them is slightly different too. A JC usmash will slide slightly farther than a hyphen Usmash, this carries over from brawl for the most part, its also only really noticable with faster characters, as expected.

...That being said, it doesn't make all that much difference, but for testing slide distances I figured it was worth noting both down

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I'm afraid to correct you both, but they are actually different things! See, if you're like me, and you like to do U-airs without burning your second jump, you need to turn tap jump off. despite having tap jump off I'm still able to do a running Usmash, while they look the same they are fundamentally different and the physics behind them is slightly different too. A JC usmash will slide slightly farther than a hyphen Usmash, this carries over from brawl for the most part.

...That being said, it doesn't make all that much difference, but for testing slide distances I figured it was worth noting both down
Oh, how weird. I had to test it in the controls menu with tap jump on and tap jump off to see it for myself. I guess this was a Brawl thing? I learned a lot about Brawl tech from obsessing over Project M, but this is the first I've heard of this, haha. I would never guess you would be able to cancel your run into an upsmash without jump cancelling or dash attacking.

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh, how weird. I had to test it in the controls menu with tap jump on and tap jump off to see it for myself. I guess this was a Brawl thing? I learned a lot about Brawl tech from obsessing over Project M, but this is the first I've heard of this, haha. I couldn't fathom how you would be able to cancel your run into an upsmash without jump cancelling or dash attacking.
Yeah, thats just part of the mechanics, you can do that in PM too, actually!

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Poor Falco, his goes only the tiniest bit further than his hyphen Usmash.

I couldn't seem to pull off a Gatling Combo with him, however I could with Wario. Did Falco lose his in the transition to Smash 4, or is my timing just off?

EDIT: Donkey Kong can get a DACUS that goes almost half the length of FD. Takes a bit of practice as if you don't get it juuuuuuuuuuuust right, he won't slide very far at all. I'll post vid 4 proof soon lolz. Also big thanks for all of your work.

EDIT 2: Tested it more and I think the best way to describe the timing is that if you want to slide as far as I did in the video, you should be inputting the Up Smash right before DK pushes him self forwards (so at this moment both of his hands should still be flat on the ground). This is assuming you're using 1/4 speed, of course.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
You can, actually! you can cancel a dash attack with a dash grab, this does really do much other than add 3% to the opponent when you grab them. but I'm almost certain there are other applications possible with it considering the weird antiair-esque arc luma follows for a dash attack.
It lets Rosalina grab people out of a grounded state since Luma's attack will pop them up into her grab hitbox.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
According to one of the videos linked to the one A2Z posted, Greninja has a gnarly DACUS too.
I've been testing a bunch of Dacus' a lot the past few days and Greninja was one I tested a lot (sorta trying to learn him as a potential main). However, I couldn't even get his Dacus to go too much further, if even at all, than his JC USmash.

I'm on mobile so I can't really go exploring for videos. Mind posting a link? I couldn't find the one you were talking about.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I've been testing a bunch of Dacus' a lot the past few days and Greninja was one I tested a lot (sorta trying to learn him as a potential main). However, I couldn't even get his Dacus to go too much further, if even at all, than his JC USmash.

I'm on mobile so I can't really go exploring for videos. Mind posting a link? I couldn't find the one you were talking about.
I was on mobile when I posted the information, but here's the video: https://vine.co/v/OAQxKbIuwJb

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Nah, no worries. Yeah that one's basically Snake-level. The Japanese really know know to do technical stuff, even on the 3DS. Unless, of course, they're somehow playing to with a GC controller.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'm afraid to correct you both, but they are actually different things! See, if you're like me, and you like to do U-airs without burning your second jump, you need to turn tap jump off. despite having tap jump off I'm still able to do a running Usmash, while they look the same they are fundamentally different and the physics behind them is slightly different too. A JC usmash will slide slightly farther than a hyphen Usmash, this carries over from brawl for the most part, its also only really noticable with faster characters, as expected.

I stand corrected, you are absolutely right. Thanks!

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Nah, no worries. Yeah that one's basically Snake-level. The Japanese really know know to do technical stuff, even on the 3DS. Unless, of course, they're somehow playing to with a GC controller.
New 3ds just launched in Japan if I'm not mistaken?

It at least looked like one to me. I also couldn't do the Ganon Dacus in training mode to the same level as whoever took those vines. the timing on some of these seems really finnicky.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If the first post was cleared up a bit in terms of presentation I'll happily move it to the Academy.

Order things by distance covered? Show character icons? Stuff like this would be best if we had videos/replays of it all.

There may be issues with playing in 1/4 mode with the L button holding to move forward. When we had hacks in brawl that gave us frame by frame inputs, stuff like Dacus weren't possible to do, the game takes buffering separately to the rest of the engine/time line, and for the most part it seemed that a degree of buffering inputs was required to achieve results.

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
Is the timing Vastly different for Ganondorf's one? I'm unable to go anywhere with it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Upsetting to know Yoshi's DACUS isn't in the area of Sheik Falco wario etc. from Brawl since his USmash and dash attack are both different.

Eekcast

Smash Rookie
I made a guide on how to DACUS with 3DS controls (and how to perform them real time) and it might help someone testing DACUS with other characters.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ysz7NGD2zlE

I can't post links but there you go.

No mods were used and I was only using 3DS inputs.

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Donkey Kong can get a DACUS that goes almost half the length of FD. Takes a bit of practice as if you don't get it juuuuuuuuuuuust right, he won't slide very far at all. I'll post vid 4 proof soon lolz. Also big thanks for all of your work.
Oh, thats very interesting. Thank you! I'll add it to the OP
It seems as though the timing is actually a bit more lax than I imagined. I'll have to go through and test some more characters.

Why didn't this get posted here? https://vine.co/v/OAQtn1qE1L1
I cannot recreate this for the life of me, let alone in regular speed! This would certainly be easier if I could have more than 1 attack button ._.
But thanks, I'll add this to the OP

I was on mobile when I posted the information, but here's the video: https://vine.co/v/OAQxKbIuwJb
Aaand theres the video for Greninja. I'm drawing a lot of parallels between His DACUS and Sheiks in that It's REALLY going to need two attack buttons to do it.
I'll add it to the OP :D

If the first post was cleared up a bit in terms of presentation I'll happily move it to the Academy.

Order things by distance covered? Show character icons? Stuff like this would be best if we had videos/replays of it all.
Awesome, I'll clean up the post tonight and make it generally appealing and stuff. Trying to organise things by distance covered will be a task, but I'll get it sorted.
I'm not sure how Im going to record the Dacus either, as you cant save replays of training mode, Guess I'll learn to use my nose or something

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Oh, I don't expect you to necessarily record them all yourself, but if there are some already recorded, you should have them there :p
Alternatively ask people for help providing them, the public knowing what characters are capable of dacusing is helpful to those who can! :)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh, I don't expect you to necessarily record them all yourself, but if there are some already recorded, you should have them there :p
Alternatively ask people for help providing them, the public knowing what characters are capable of dacusing is helpful to those who can! :)
Ah It's alright, all the ones I can't seem to do have been posted in here already. Plus I have a friend with a 3DS capture card so maybe I can borrow that from him.

Also, I just found that ROB can one too. it's similar to fox and Tlink in that it only goes mildly further than a JC Usmash, but still, more tech!

Last edited:

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
It would be very helpful to go to Omega Flatzone when testing out characters as that stage is built like a ruler and you can state distances based on the "blocks' there for a more precise measurement.

For Example, with Shulk's Dacus I was able to slide about 1 1/2 blocks on that stage.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Is someone else able to make the videos for me for this? My 3DS suddenly decided to stop charging, and now I have no access to the game.

I'll still pretty up the main post though

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Huh. I can not for the life of me do this on the 3DS, all I'm doing is dash-attack-cancelled-grabs. Who has the easiest timing? I know in Brawl, Snake was easiest for many.

Maybe I'll just have to wait for cstick.

Last edited:

Piggyman86

Smash Apprentice
Is there a certain trick for getting this down on the 3ds? I can't get this to work at all. The only thing it ends up doing is a sliding upsmash or a grab. Is it really as simple as dash attack-->up smash? no grab input?

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Is there a certain trick for getting this down on the 3ds? I can't get this to work at all. The only thing it ends up doing is a sliding upsmash or a grab. Is it really as simple as dash attack-->up smash? no grab input?
Yep. It is literally the name. Dash attack then immediately up smash. It's very hard to do real-time without a c stick

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Yep. It is literally the name. Dash attack then immediately up smash. It's very hard to do real-time without a c stick
I've heard that you can use the grab button (L by default) instead of attack (A by default) to do the USmash if you have proper timing, since L registers as R+A. tap Side > A > tap Up + L
Definitely I've managed to accidentally do a stutter-step FSmash instead of a Dash Attack Cancel Grab by hitting L too early. That said, I've never actually tested the above method myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom