• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Demo is out now

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
It's time!

Now that there will be a much larger playerbase that speaks english playing the demo I figured it needed a discussion thread.

Edit: If you can't find it you can head to the demos section in the Eshop. That's how I found it, it was the first option.

Last edited:

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, this plays a lot ore smoothly than I was expecting. I'm still getting used to tilts and smashes, and I can already see that I'm gonna be changing X to A, but this is a lot of fun.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I was half expecting the eShop to crash on me, hopefully Nintendo learned how to contain all of the traffic from the release of Pokemon X & Y and Pokemon Bank. Or the eShop will start crashing when the game actually comes out.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
ok now that I finally got it, I'm officially not turning my 3ds off for a while. But those controls though. Ugh!!!!! -_- How I wish they could at least let you change your control scheme in the 3ds version.

Quote420

Smash Cadet
NNID
Quote420
ok now that I finally got it, I'm officially not turning my 3ds off for a while. But those controls though. Ugh!!!!! -_- How I wish they could at least let you change your control scheme in the 3ds version.
Yeah, L being grab and R being shield is really throwing me off.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
So is it 30 matches you can play, or you can boot up the demo 30 times?

MoHarp

Smashin' Bass Guitars
NNID
MoHarp
Switch FC
SW 3796 8060 8415

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I can see what people were saying about the controls. This will definitely take some getting used to. What people said about it looking amazing in person is true also.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Out of curiosity, is the demo showing a number of uses left on the home screen for anyone? (Other demos, such as Sonic All Stars racing, Resident Evil did). I haven't had this on my copy obtained from a code and wonder if this is due to no restrictions on the version given out early or just an annoying omission on the part of the demo creators.

Insolitus

Smash Rookie
Surprisingly I got used to the controls pretty fast, and I'm playing on the old 3DS, although using a grip really helps.

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
I miiiiiiiiiight not be on Smashboards too often... actions DO speak louder than words, after all....

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Even if you play two time a day until the demo releases you won't have gone through all 30 uses. It's nothing to worry about unless you're getting the game much past release.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
got it! the control confused me at first but i got use to them quickly. cpu 9 are true devastatingly difficult but beatable with punishes and well time blocking.

out of the characters i got most wins with villager surprisingly. megaman is strong but i dislike his lack of combo ability. pikachu is good but i kept SD'ing trying to recover -_-.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Only played a few matches so far (had to go back to work) but I'm loving how it plays. At first the controls made me feel like I didn't know how to play Smash Bros lol. I'm still not fully used to it yet. I'll probably make B the jump button because it feels most natural with that button formation. From limited play time I'm loving all of the demo characters except Mega Man. Having his Ftilt make you move while shooting really bothers me.

Insolitus

Smash Rookie
Megaman is really weird, his move set very accurate to the original games but it makes it feel like your playing a shooter instead of Smash Bros.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I actually got the demo one day before the release via code, hehe.

Anyways, I've played plenty of matches on the 3DS already, and it personally feels like Brawl 2.0, as much as it pains me to say that. The only significant changes I've noticed are ledge mechanics, air dodging into the ground has more landing lag which makes it more easily punishable, general character moveset changes, and other mechanics like vectoring and rage effect. Other than that, it feels almost exactly like Brawl, but I'm still hype for the full game! Also, Pivot Tilts/Fsmashes are a nice touch, actually.

As for characters, I only even played some Mario, a little bit of Link, one game of Mega Man and Villager, and the majority being Pikachu because I've enjoyed him so far.

Pikachu feels very much the same, except he was nerfed. -_- No Quick Attack Cancel, Nair isn't a kill move, and I think that's about it. I still think he's good, mid-tier like he was in Brawl at least.

Anyone else tried messing with Pivot Fsmashes?

Last edited:

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
Enjoying this, but it is quickly getting boring not being able to change anything.
I feel sorry for the people who paid money for this...

But, villager is totally my new main. I love him.

Frank Weast

Smash Cadet
NNID
devilhunterx2
The game feels fantastic, its incredibly smooth and the speed is faster than brawl. It kinda felt like I was playing melee, also damage racks up very fast, but killing takes a little longer. Overall This game has its own identity and I can't wait for full american release

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I love how the game feels but ugh the tap jump and button placement...
I tried all the advance technics as of yet found and surprisingly they're pretty easy to pull out.

This game easily stands as a Smash title on his own with or without the WiiU. Dem combos, btw :surprised:

Can't wait to play the full game now.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Well it took 2 hours but I think I'm finally getting used to these controls. Megaman is my favorite character in the demo. I would go pikachu but I hate that I cant turn off tap jump so I can use my u-tilt a little more consistently. It's the same for megaman but it's not nearly as noticable. I just lose an awesome kill move full of awesome -_-

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Wow, I was half expecting the eShop to crash on me, hopefully Nintendo learned how to contain all of the traffic from the release of Pokemon X & Y and Pokemon Bank. Or the eShop will start crashing when the game actually comes out.
Remember, the e-shop crashed with Pokemon Bank because it accessed the login server 3 times per transfer attempt. so you hit the server 3 times to transfer a box from B&W/2 to bank, then 3 more times to transfer that box to X&Y. repeat for every box you wanted to transfer.

It was simply bad coding.

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
Just downloaded the demo and played a few matches. First impressions are positive so far, though it did take me a little while to get used to. I believe it only took me like 10 minutes to get used to the controls.

Say, for the Global mode, when it says I can play with Anyone I noticed that on the bottom right it says Local Wireless. Does that mean I can only play with people from my State or something, because I can't seem to get to anyone playing the demo. Unless everyone around the world is just playing single player currently.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Yeah these controls are gonna take a bit to get used to. i wish i could switch the a button with the y button, i think that would be better for me. but ill get through it

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I'm really not seeing the "faster than brawl" aspect of this game, I wish I could. I'm not trying to be a doom and gloom or anything, I just don't see it. Even then, I'm still excited to play the full game, even if it feels the same as Brawl to me. I'm hype for the new characters, and for the meta game to unfold.

I don't think a C-stick is necessary, I am still able to stay mobile with Mario using multiple Bair and moving forward at the same time.

Should I be worried about my Circle Pad breaking? I play relatively smooth with the circle pad for my skill level at least, which is good, but I'm still afraid I might eventually break it somehow... scary thought. Apparently others have broken theirs. :c

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
The demo is nearly prefect the only thing I wish they added was costum controls.

I hate the fact u can't turn off tap jump.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I sware the demo itself is just so much fun! Villagers a great character (I do tend to spam his Fair a little bit), Pikachu's nearly the same but, better I guess. I don't know whats different about him but he sure is good! Then there's Mario, who appears pretty broken (although they removed his Dair in place of his tornado that's something I've noticed). Just wait until Dr. Mario who won't have fluud unlike his original counterpart. Link is much better and Megaman, while maybe good, I just plain suck as using him.

This game is going to be amazing. It surprisingly feels more like it's own game than another SSBB. And what's more, the real game is coming in 2 weeks. HYYYYYYYPPPPPEEE!!

Top Bottom