• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Delayed) Super Duper Serious Time I - Charity Tournament

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
The University of Toledo School of Smash proudly presents:

Introduction

This is a tournament in Northwest Ohio that is being hosted to raise money for (an undetermined) charity and to help grow the Smash scene in the area. This tournament is going to be hosted by Lous (DarkLouis), Quaa, and Courtney. We hope that this tournament will emerge into a series this school year. We'll see how the first one goes. :p
*I still need to talk with UT administration to make sure I can run this tournament. I will cancel this tournament if they do not approve, but it is unlikely that I will have to since others have ran successful tournaments in the past.

Location and Parking

University of Toledo Student Union
2801 West Bancroft
Toledo, OH 43606

Parking in white-lined spaces is FREE for visitors on Saturdays, but if you're really worried, you can park in the side streets across from campus as long as you obey the parking signs. The closest place to park is right by the football stadium, which is right behind the Student Union.

Date and Times

Late October/Early November

12:00 p.m. - Venue Opens + Free Play + Registration
2:00 p.m. - Brawl and Melee Doubles begins
5:00 - 6:00 p.m. - Break/Food
6:00 p.m. - Brawl and Melee Singles begins (We may or may not do pools depending on time restraints.)
10:00 p.m. - Event ends. We can extend the end time to 11:30 if extra time is needed to finish the tournaments.
Afterward - Free play/clean-up

Prices and Payouts

Venue/Charity Fee - $2*
Entry Fee (All tournaments) - $5

*Unfortunately, the venue fee cannot be refunded for anyone who brings a setup. Everyone who is entering the tournaments will have to pay the venue fee.

Prizes will be paid out in Best Buy gift cards.
*I'm sorry if anyone has a problem with this, but it is a University rule I cannot get around.

For Singles, payouts will be:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

For Doubles, payouts will be:
1st: 70%
2nd: 30%

Ruleset

Brawl Gameplay

1. 3 Stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
4. All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
5. Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch are banned.
6. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight and 50 for all other characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
7. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
8. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
  • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
  • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 13 is used for Meta Knight, and 18 for all other characters.

Modified Rules for Doubles

1. Team Attack set to "On"
2. Life stealing is allowed.
3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
5. If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Set Procedure

1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
2. Each player selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each player selects their character. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 2-3-1 (Player 1 strikes two stages, followed by Player 2 striking three stages, with Player 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The player that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
7. The player that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
8. The player that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either player may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a player that has already won on that Stage in this set.
9. The player that won the previous match chooses their character.
10. The player that lost the previous match chooses their character.
11. The next match is played.
12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Player Priority Disputes

If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Stage List

Starter
Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege

Counterpick
Battleship Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Frigate Orpheon

*Striking order is 2-3-1
*Yes, I have banned Brinstar for the Brawl tournament.

Melee Gameplay

1. 4 stocks, 8:00 minutes
2. Items OFF
3. Sets are best-of-3, except all Finals, which are best-of-5.
4. Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
5. Wobbling is banned.
6. Master Hand is banned.
7. Glitches such as IC's Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are banned.
8. Stalling with Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
9. Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick the stage you last won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
10. Player’s Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it. In the event of any disagreements, house rules stand.
11. Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes. Call a TO over if you are new to this process.
12. Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide their controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes. Call a TO over if you are new to this process.
13. Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
14. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
15. Life-stealing is allowed.
16. Team Attack is set to "on."

Singles Stage List

Neutral
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Dream Land

Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Kongo Jungle

Doubles Stage List

Neutral
Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Kongo Jungle

*Stage striking will be done in a 1221 fashion.

Code of Conduct

1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set. We will have a few controllers available to borrow for free. (Mainly to UT students who will participate.)
2. Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
3. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
  • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
  • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
11. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organizer sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

*Melee/Brawl setups are GREATLY appreciated! We will need them.

Tournament Hosts (Possibly may not be able to participate in brackets.)

Quaa
Courtney

Again, this tournament isn't 100% official yet since I haven't talked to administration. (Our school/organization has had many successful tournaments in the past and is in good standing with the University, so it is likely we will have it.), but School of Smash and I are determined to make it happen. :)

*If I forgot anything as far as rules or details go, please let me know!

Last edited:

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Reserved for TO.

I will know a lot more once the first two weeks of school come around, which starts on August 22nd.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I hope this idea works out. It would be awsome. As far as I know I have nothing planned for October 1st; therefore I'm more than likely in for this. This would also be my first doubles tournament in Melee and Brawl.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
@Shark- Yep, we've had a lack of Melee and Doubles tournaments at UT, so I think we should change that. :) I'm pretty confident that we'll be able to get every tournament done too. Wanna team for Brawl if I'm allowed to, Shark?

@Tech- It'd be great to see you come down again. :D

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I would team with you Louis, but I'm already teaming with Raider 88 for Brawl. Thanks for the offer though.

Posting flyers will definately help spread the word for School of Smash. You never know how many income freshman will be interested, or just newcomers to UT in general.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Wow this sounds excellent. I'll most likely be here and I'll try to bring a full car along with me to help support this. :)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Wow this sounds excellent. I'll most likely be here and I'll try to bring a full car along with me to help support this. :)
Thanks King Beef. :) I know the price and prizes aren't what we're used to, but it'd be great to see some out-of-city attendance. :D

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Sorry guys, but this isn't going to happen on October 1st. It'll probably happen more around early November :(

I apologize for any inconveniences.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Not a problem. I give you credit for attempting to make it happen. It was tenative in the first place anyways.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Please read the last few posts, unfortunately I have to delay it until further notice. :(

So this is not happening on October 1st.

Top Bottom