• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dehydrated Ichthyoid's Melee Extravaganza 1 - May 25th, 2013 - Plano, TX

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
Dehydrated Ichthyoid's Melee Extravaganza 1
Melee Singles & Doubles
When: Saturday May 25th, 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
Where: FX Game Exchange
3000 Custer Rd, Plano TX 75075
Schedule: 11:00 am Arrive/ registration
12:00 pm Doubles begins
3:00 pm Singles begins
Schedule is tentative so feel free to contact me if you're worried about making singles or w/e; my phone number is at the bottom.
BRING SETUPS!!! THEY'RE IMPORTANT.
Entry Fee: Singles: $5
Teams: $5 per player, $10 per team
Venue: $5
$3 if you bring a set up that is used.
I'm sorry I can't to the same deal Sethlon is currently doing with Bowser's Revenge. The venue wants da $$. Everyone pays the venue fee. Additional money will go to the venue as well.
Pay Outs: 1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
Events with 10 or less entrants will have a 70/30 payout instead.​
Melee Rules

Starters/Neutrals:
Yoshi’s Story​
Fountain of Dreams​
Battlefield​
Final Destination​
Dream Land​
Counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium​
Doubles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:
Yoshi’s Story​
Pokemon Stadium​
Battlefield​
Final Destination​
Dream Land​
Counterpick:
DK 64​
General Rules
Items are set to off​
Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively​
Set will be best 2 out of 3, with all Finals matches being 3 out of 5​
Wobbling is legal​
Double Blind: If elected​
Contest Port Priority: If elected​
Neutral Start: If elected​
Dave's Stupid Rule will be in effect​
Gentleman’s Clause​
Forced Character Selection: Off​
Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.​
Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.​
Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.​
Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:​
If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss​
If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss​
These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.​
Additional Rules for Teams Play​
Team Attack: ON​
Life Stealing is allowed​
If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.​
How to Play a Set​
Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind​
Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage​
The players play the first match of the set​
Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.​
Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages.​
For Best of 3/5 sets, there are no stage bans.​
The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.​
The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.​
The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.​
The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a​
Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.​
The next match is played.​
Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.​
Other Rules
1. The Tournament Organizer is the arbiter of all disputes.​
2. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.​
3. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.​
4. MikeHaze rule: No intentionally disrupting players, whether physically or vocally. This applies to EVERYONE, players and spectators. Simply talking to the players (and Hype moments) are exempt.​
5. Gentleman's Clause: Any change to the rules is permitted if agreed upon by both players, except for the 8 minute time limit.​
6. Dave's Stupid Rule: players cannot counterpick back to a stage that they have already won on in a set.​
7. Textures are Cool Clause: We're usually pretty lenient with textures/custom music. You're welcome to bring your set up to the tournament with them, but please do not have any disruptive music, hard to see textures, or dramatically altered character models. If you have a problem with the set up you're playing on, notify the TO and we'll get it resolved ASAP.​
Additional Notes: A lot of kids come through the venue on a Saturday. Try to curse as quietly as possible.​
Show up on time. If you need to contact me cause you'll be late, my number is: 972-693-4339​
Again, bring some set ups. Uhh i guess I'll edit this if I think of anything else.​
hopefully this **** formatted well, I've never made a thread before lol, bet it didn't though.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Good **** putting this together!

I'm sorry I can't to the same deal Sethlon is currently doing with Bowser's Revenge. The venue wants da $$. Everyone pays the venue fee.
We've actually lost this for the Bowser's Revenge events as well. Doesn't seem that bad to me though, since the venue fee is nice and low.

D

Deleted member

Wait, you lost this venue for the Bowsers Revenge tournaments? Or you lost doing it monthly.
I'm pretty dumb lol, I don't read things. I am kind of hype for this, now I actually have to play melee for once.

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how many people care about this rule, but as far as DSR goes and banning stages whether it's 2/3 or 3/5, I've gone with standard DSR because it's simpler and there will always be a stage ban so that the plethora of Falcon mains don't have to complain about FoD <3.

If anyone thinks it should be different say something and I may change it if I like your reasoning.

D

Deleted member

Since it just says fee 5 dollars, is there only singles? Or is there doubles and its also 5 dollars. Just read the schedule, I'm dumb x2
I'm bringing a setup with recording (and its not that one that had textures this time)

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll edit the OP. Singles is $5 and doubles is $10 per team. I thought I was forgetting something lol.

and how do i put that 'southwest' tag in the thread title?

D

Deleted member

Soooooooo, who wants to team? Marth/Falco (and maybe luigi because I like being gay)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
and how do i put that 'southwest' tag in the thread title?
To the right of the map, there's a little (edit)' button in the top right of the window with the date info/etc. Click that, then click on the prefix before the tournament name to set the Southwest tag.

D

Deleted member

Great, can't wait until the 25th. I can finally play against non-scrubs.

(damn, probably just jinxed myself to get wrecked by everyone at the tourney lol)

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
What's injustice? If there's time for a side event after singles, I was gonna let people choose what they wanted to do. All I can think of is draft crews, stamina pancake, and teams with a random partner

oh or pokebombs

D

Deleted member

tumblr_md1r89BWgx1qa7jbi.png
What's injustice? If there's time for a side event after singles, I was gonna let people choose what they wanted to do. All I can think of is draft crews, stamina pancake, and teams with a random partner
How about a "Mouthful of Clams Day" event

everyone that comes in with a mouthful of clams

gets a free drink

heh?

heeh?

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure I can go. (This event is open to minors, right? Please don't hurt me if it's not.)
Anyhow, this sounds good for a first time tournament. I might bring in another person or two.

By sets, I think at most I can bring an Extra controller, my copy of Melee, a table or two, and a GameCube.
Can you explain to me exactly what I should bring to this to help out other than just a controller? (Sorry, I'm new here!)

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
Yes, this event is also open to minors, bring all of the people that you can!
You should obviously bring your own controller, but in terms of a set up I"m looking for a crt tv and a gamecube with a copy of melee.
If you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer them,

D

Deleted member

Yes, this event is also open to minors, bring all of the people that you can!
You should obviously bring your own controller, but in terms of a set up I"m looking for a crt tv and a gamecube with a copy of melee.
If you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer them,
I can bring my copy of melee and an extra GameCube! Hopefully I'll be able to invite 2 or 3 others to the event.
Question: Do they have to RSVP though here?

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
No, they don't have to. They can sign up at the venue.Are you part of the DFW Melee facebook page? Most of the scene's activities and updates goes on there.

Just thought I'd add: You're more than welcome to bring your cube and copy of melee, but if there isn't an open tv to use with it, I won't give you the venue discount. Don't want there to be any confusion lol.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure I can go. (This event is open to minors, right? Please don't hurt me if it's not.)
Anyhow, this sounds good for a first time tournament. I might bring in another person or two.

By sets, I think at most I can bring an Extra controller, my copy of Melee, a table or two, and a GameCube.
Can you explain to me exactly what I should bring to this to help out other than just a controller? (Sorry, I'm new here!)
How old are you? I'm fourteen and this will be my first tournament.

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how many people care about this rule, but as far as DSR goes and banning stages whether it's 2/3 or 3/5, I've gone with standard DSR because it's simpler and there will always be a stage ban so that the plethora of Falcon mains don't have to complain about FoD <3.

If anyone thinks it should be different say something and I may change it if I like your reasoning.
Update: I'm going to change this to no bans in a 3/5 set, because after a few games there won't be any stages left to use.

D

Deleted member

Can I stream? I'll bring a full setup and a headset for commentary.

D

Deleted member

Update: I'm going to change this to no bans in a 3/5 set, because after a few games there won't be any stages left to use.
Why not add a few iffy stages?
How about Onett, Green Greens, and Yoshi's Island?

How old are you? I'm fourteen and this will be my first tournament.
I'm 16!

No, they don't have to. They can sign up at the venue.Are you part of the DFW Melee facebook page? Most of the scene's activities and updates goes on there.

Just thought I'd add: You're more than welcome to bring your cube and copy of melee, but if there isn't an open tv to use with it, I won't give you the venue discount. Don't want there to be any confusion lol.
That's fine. I'll just help out where I can. I don't mind paying full venue price anyway, FX is pretty awesome. They reunited me with the first game I ever played: Frogger: He's Back for the PSX.

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
Why not add a few iffy stages?
How about Onett, Green Greens, and Yoshi's Island
Those stages are banned for a number of reasons, mainly that some characters are just broken on some stages. The stage list I'm using is the standard for just about anywhere you go. And even if there were a wider stage variety, I've found that around here no one will pick those stages anyway.
Can I stream? I'll bring a full setup and a headset for commentary.
You're welcome to bring equipment to stream and ****, just as long as you know you're responsible for it.

D

Deleted member

Sweet. Who wants to commentate? I am sure as hell not, I'm annoying.

D

Deleted member

Uhh, thats the same headset I have. I already said I got that covered though.

D

Deleted member

Uhh, you'd need to have another green and pink port. My computer only has 1 set (because what computer would have 2?)

D

Deleted member

Good news, I found out my projector can except component input, so I'll I'll bring it. The downside is that the sound will come out of the projector (It's not the best quality, but It's manageable.) unless someone can bring a female to female headphones adapter and speakers.

So I'll bring a full set :D

D

Deleted member

What? A Projector with component? Won't that lag compared to a crt with composite?
I guess we will just have to test it when we get there >_>

D

Deleted member

What? A Projector with component? Won't that lag compared to a crt with composite?
I guess we will just have to test it when we get there >_>
I think I meant to say composite. I tested it out and it isn't laggy for me.
Sorry for the confusion.

I feel so stupid right now, I should know these things. Hell, I modded a GameCube so I could play it in the car two years back. Man, I guess I got stupider this year. :/

Top Bottom