• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defensive Ike is Defensive

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
What do you guys think of a defensive Ike?

What I mean is that I usually fake my opponents out into coming for me and punishing them for it.

Now, is this looked down upon? And what should I do when it comes to Lucario, ROB, and Samus? I can't seem to approach them while they're charging for some reason, if I run/jump at them, they can unleash it or dodge roll behind me and grab me.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
wait what do you think about my strat

i knock people off the stage

when they attack me, i block and attack back so i do damage

revolutionary?

Duker

Smash Journeyman
If you consistenly keep running away, I sure do look down upon it. Otherwise... not really. Don't be cheap and fight honorably and it's k =) .

(Someone is gonna flame me for this.)

RPK

Smash Lord
Yep you guessed it, there is no such thing as fighting honorably...If you fight, fight the way you normally do....
Dude, there isnt any shame in having a defensive Ike...Keep your shield up, work around it, play with the edge, and fend them off with those high priority jabs. Thats the only thing I can think of when they come in that close...that and a grab. Other then that, you have to learn how to keep your distance and work with his long range on his attacks. For example, you can do a retreating short hopped fair to put space between you and your opponent. Stuff like that...

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Playing one way will only allow you to beat those people who suck vs that particular way of playing. In other words, playing "defensive" will only work on certain characters and certain players in general. You're not gonna get very far playing defensive with Ike constantly playing that way, but hey that's just me.

And the whole "faking" out thing is part of Ike. You do a Fair and whiff it so the opponent thinks you're vulnerable and you cover it with a jab combo. That's nothing new..infact, every Ike does it. If you think you can do that vs. a smart opponent you've got something coming.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I used to play a defensive ike almost exclusively, and the weakness was that I actually sucked at approaching (to some degree I still do at times). Now I just usually save it until the end because, winning or losing, someone will have gotten used to the aggressive ike by their or my last stock. It's so blatant though, the difference between beating someone down and your biding your time that I find it really hard to "slip in" unnoticed against people who are already relying too heavily on rolling/camping and retaliating. It's just that people who crutch those tactics usually really really REALLY suck at approaching and I used to do the retaliation game so much that I'm still really good at it by comparison.

Gray

Smash Journeyman
If you think doing whatever you can to win with a fairly mediocre character is dishonorable you have obviously not seen what the other characters are capable of.

Top Bottom