• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Decisive Games Introduction Thread (make sure to check the new forum rules as well!)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Months ago, before the Flexible Mafia Game Queue was made, Evil Eye told me that he wanted to host a Spiderman-themed Mafia game. Though this was during when he was running Nowhere Man Mafia, that game ended a few months before the Queue was even made. When I put the Queue up, I stickied it and suggested to everyone that if I had forgotten someone, they should post and remind me. Many people did, but Evil Eye never saw the thread and only two days ago reminded me that he still wanted to host the game. He told me then that he had just seen the list, and was curious to where he would be.

Obviously, if Evil Eye had posted reminding me about his desire to host another game when I put up the thread, he would have been at the top of the list. He made it known that he wanted to host a mafia game before anyone else did, but the request was forgotten and EE never saw this thread until now.

My worst fear is that people are upset that Evil Eye hosts his game next, before them. Specifically, I don't know how Handorin will take the news, because I know for a fact that he has been working on his mafia game for a very long time, balancing it and telling me he is tweaking it with new ideas for what must now be months. He was slated to go next, because tmw_redcell commented that he needs more time to make his game properly epic and would allow Handorin to jump him, and Scav gets jumped because he is inactive in Batman as the title character.

I've spoken with Eor about it and he thinks that while Evil Eye did state that he wanted to host another game a long time ago, before everyone else on this list, he did never post in the thread and therefore Handorin should go next, and then tmw_redcell or Evil Eye, and situation solved. Evil Eye also stated that he would understand if Handorin went before EE, and just doesn't want to get boned by the situation and have to go to the end of the line.

Honestly, I am now only waiting to hear from buddy Hando.

I do want the situation to be resolved completely and I strive to please everyone... please comment with your true opinions and be heard.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I didn't say I didn't mind if Hando goes next, I said "tell Hando to go next".

And to clarify, I didn't see the thread because of the demands of the Batman game. There are some days where I literally do not touch my internet browser once because I am swamped with things to do from the moment I sign on AIM until I sleep. I have to put up away messages just to eat or go to the bathroom. I think it's reasonable enough that I didn't see the thread.

I don't want anybody to think I'm "cutting in line" and that's why I've said to tell Hando to go first, and other people (Omis, McFox, Rockin) have gone before him.

I don't know what else to say, so I'm just ending the post here.

Handorin

Smash Hero
So I guess I am going? Ive been gone all day, so Im a bit behind.

If I see another "Yes, go" I will put up my thread. I will wait until otherwise.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Again I'm not saying I don't mind, I'm telling you to go. And mashad isn't ready. So yeah, you're clear for takeoff.

But you better have backseatsmen in your game.

Ronike

Smash Ace
No offense EE, but if you are that busy with the Batman game, perhaps its a good idea to wait until that game is over to host your mafia game.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey everybody, I have some interesting news for ya!

Basically, I've been studying Bad Idea Mafia for awhile now. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this highly unorthodox setup, it is essentially a game of mafia that involves no voting, ONLY daykilling. And ANYONE can do it. Well, not everyone, but just about. That's the short version. If you're interested in learning more, look for the original game on mafiascum.

In any event, I've been trying to perfect the setup to not only scale the game down to a more reasonable size (from the orginal 25 players to 15), but also introcude a new role in order to deepen the metagame. I'm fairly confident that the current setup I've come to would make for the best iteration of Bad Idea Mafia to date.

I just figured I'd throw this out there because Bad Idea Mafia can move at a much quicker pace than normal mafia. Then again it also has the potential to move slower, but that's fairly unlikely. I just figured that considering how different this form of mafia is from other traditional mafia games, you guys might want to have me host it soon to mix things up a bit.

Obviously I'd be jumping a ****load of people in line if I were to do that. I'm perfectly fine with going to the back of the line, but I figured that in the event that people near the front of the line were too busy/don't have their game setups finalized yet/etc. and people were interested in this form of play that would be entirely new to SWF, that it might legitimize me hosting this game out of order.

Obviously this is your call guys. Thoughts, opinions, comments or questions are welcome. Like I said, this is just something that I'm ready and willing to do whenever you guys feel is best.

Niiro

Smash Ace
lol, i never knew how much fun it is to make a game. how long do you think it will take till i can start my game?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Well, if we continue to get the regular influx of new members that we have been experiencing, we might could run three games at a time. It really all just depends on timing, because we dont want to rob two games from being excellent just to run a third alongside them.

But the red-named brains are keeping their thoughts on that idea.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
oh yea, i think FF's game could be run alongside other games.
/my opinion

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I agree that any game that is quick in nature would be best to run alongside other games, but if we end up doing that, you should remember that your quick game will still be your spot on the list. A game where anyone can daykill, or similar games, that would run quickly could run at the same time as two mafia games. Also, a game with 7ish players could run at the same time, like Kingmaker, Assassins in the Palace, or simply a 7-9 man mafia game with regular deadlines.

But nothing is finalized :S

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
We aren't going to run more than 2 games at a time, because there is barely enough player activity to keep 2 games alive.

We have enough players to potentially run 3 games at a time if everyone who joined a game would actively post in it. But currently the trend is for people to join a game and then go inactive and either coast along inactively (an arguably legitimate strategy for the scum if the town is also coasting without posting, but easily recognizable if the town were actually active) or have to be replaced. In my opinion, that's unacceptable.

The game rules clearly state to treat the game like a commitment. If you are town and you are coasting or inactive, you're playing to lose. It's really not fair to the game's moderator if you sign up and then don't play.

An example of this is the currently running The Lonely Island mafia run by Handorin. He has had to replace four (FOUR) players and the town decided to lynch another player who was inactive/needed replacement but there weren't enough replacements, so that the game could stay alive and wouldn't have to be called off.

I'm going to brainstorm with some other Dgamers and come up with a system that actually punishes you for regularly disobeying activity rules. They are GAME RULES, in almost every game they're in the rules, and therefore consistently breaking them is actually punishable by SWF infraction.

On a different note,

M3D's Harry Potter mafia has come to a close. It was a very, very well designed game and a lot of fun to play. The next game to go up will be Evil Eye's game.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I had 15 players sign up.

4 replaced
1 Cant be replaced, lynched.
1 was mod killed for not paying attention as well as not entirely active.

That's 6 players and roughly half my game. I designed my game to be very interesting, but it loses some of it's luster when I need to change half of it mid game.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Even M3D's game saw a slowdown of activity though. I know people have finals or whatever but people fail to see the games as a commitment. I know it's just a game, but if you don't take the commitment seriously it ruins the game for everyone else.

We gotta step it up yo!

I have an idea for the game I'm goign to do when it comes to be my turn in about a year, so I'm going to start working on it slowly :D

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
So this is basically a Role-playing game done over chats with rules and etc. If I am wrong just correct me and etc.

Also I would like to partake in this.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Uhhh.....sure but I don't think it's that simple

Sign up as a replacement in Spider-manfia. Watch the game and how it progresses it get a feel. The OP has newbie guides and stuff you shoudl definitely read before playing.

Handorin

Smash Hero
So this is basically a Role-playing game done over chats with rules and etc. If I am wrong just correct me and etc.

It isn't really a RP game.

Its more like... a detective game.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I've RPed before, I just want to know if that's the just of it, but I'll go see how a game is played then I'll join in.
Mafia games are what Hando said: They're detective games of the sort. Basically, you're with a group of people, trying to seperate from the good guys to the bad. We're not role playing these (however, majority of games have flavors what seems like 'role playing').

Adventure games DO have a role play sort of feel, but again, it's not really role playing.

Sharpevil

Smash Rookie
It's a simulation of a fight between a large uninformed group and a small informed group. Any rp spice is just for taste.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer

Mafia isn't a roleplaying game at all, really. You are given a role but it seriously isn't what you are thinking it is. Mafia is a game of strategy and elimination, not roleplaying or creativity or writing.

If anything is closer to a roleplaying game done over chats with rules and a mod, it would be Adventure games.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Hey, I was wondering... how many players can a mafia game support? I was thinking doing one based on brawl, which would mean roughly 35 players or so... Would this be possible, or should I choose a different theme?

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
35 is definitely WAY too many. On top of that putting an absurd amount of pressure on you in terms of balancing the game, dG is just too small to properly support such a game. It's a small miracle that Spider-Manfia has remained as active as it has.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I did one with 30 a while back in the hopes of getting a lot of Broomers interested, and it was a total disaster. If you're doing a Brawl one (we had a Melee one a long time ago), just pick characters.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Some of the best games are 9 player games. 12 is also a magical number for mafia games. The trend has been to make big games lately, and I think tmw_redcell is running a 12 man game which should prove to any nonbelievers that lower numbers can make the game just as exciting but more involving (nowhere to inactively hide).

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I had a hunch and went with it; I made a game only for Newbies that was 7 players, 5 slots for newbies and 2 for vets to help them play. In 12 hours, it filled with 2 extras and I made it a 9 player game. 7 brand new players signed up in half a day!

This game was out of queue, but hopefully will prove to be a great success. If they like mafia, we can have another newbie game for new players, and then quite possibly have a big enough player base to healthily support 3 queued games at a time.

Feel free to follow along with the game, it might give you some fun perspective. And see if you can guess the mafia ;)

---

tmw_redcell and Scav have both requested extra time, and so I am giving Ronike the option to go next in the queue when The Lonely Island mafia ends.

Ronike

Smash Ace
As I am sure everyone agrees, I am too busy at the current time to run a mafia game, so I'll pass for now.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
That's fine, and I think it will work out nicely. Mr. Lombardi has informed me that he will definitely be ready by the time the game is up to host, and it's looking like his game going to be awesome as hell. Mr. L will jump redcell, scav, and ronike, giving them all more time.

Top Bottom