• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Dec 27, 2014] Overswarm's private Smash 4 House Tournament 2! (Taylor Mill, KY)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ty ty didn't know I had to rsvp for this ;-;.
It's typically okay to not do so, I just try to keep the limit somewhere around 16; I don't have as much room for setups as a typical venue (at least not comfortably) and it's my house, so if we had 50 people show up it'd be one hell of a ride.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
@Kel
In retrospect, I know what happened between our 1st & 2nd sets, Kel. I learned to respect Mega Man's options but also realized I have options to beat those options safely. The 1st match, I was in my flowchart MK mindset where I recklessly dash grab and dash attack trying to make damage out of nothing and running into waves of projectiles because of it. I did the same thing against Joey and got bopped for it too.

I played so many aspects of the the MK-Mega Man MU incorrectly the 1st match that I corrected by the 2nd match:
  • Mega Man can't make MK approach. 6 jumps and cape trumps any projectile he can throw, but when I'm flowchart MK, I dash in like I'm Cheese trying to get an ICs grab. If I can get MM to mid-range, I can get punishes, but I have no excuse to get zoned-out aside from some well-placed pellets.
  • I should have been comboing Mega Man at low percents with either D-Throw > Nado, D-Throw > Dash Attack > Nado, or Dash Attack > Nado until about 30~40% because he's heavy enough to do that. But, for the 1st match, I instead jumped before I tried to Nado or even went for N-Airs and Up-Smashes like I was fighting a mid-weight character and just ended up whiffing because I constantly forgot Mega Man has like all the gravity of Mega Man 1 after a throw so I just missed out on a free 26% every time I whiffed that.
  • At the ledge, I'd bait Up-Tilt and shield or space for an obvious dash grab (which I get nothing off of at the ledge anyway) when I should have spaced completely safe F-Smashes or simple D-Tilts because MM being in the air is good for me regardless so the only option I wouldn't have covered is the roll on-stage and even then I might have had enough time after F-Smash to mash Nado for it.
  • Off-stage I didn't respect Danger Wrap and got hit by it a couple dozen times fishing for N-Airs when I should have been forcing air dodges or high recoveries to punish by actually being off-stage and not just hovering near the ledge holding a big sign that says "DANGER WRAP GOES HERE."
  • I can pick up Metal Blade and it's not something I should avoid like I originally thought. It mostly clicked when I played OS but MK with Metal Blade just hovering around MM's space is decently threatening. Also this is more of just something you did but when I stole Metal Blade or delayed its despawn you would sometimes blank fire it and I got punishes off it every time.

My match against Joey was a lot of the same stuff. His Duck Hunt could only approach with Mega Gunman backing-up a grab attempt. Everything else is unsafe and MK is not threatened by any of his projectiles because of 6 jumps. But yet that flowchart MK ran into every Frisbee he threw at me because jumping doesn't equal damage for Meta Knight and that doesn't fit into the flowchart. But man, if you don't respect Duck Hunt's aerials when you're not neutral, that character will run through you.

This tourney was stacked but it was so good for gittin' gud. Congrats to Joey tho. That was a stacked final pool to not lose a game in.

@ Overswarm Overswarm There's a replay on your Wii U of Wario & Rosalina that I'd like Composer to record if he's still there. It's basically showing off the new Rosalina counter and destroyer of Lumas.

Last edited:

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify, I am completely on board with banning Gamer, and understand why it is banned despite it being my favorite stage, lmao. I knew the first time I played it, haha.

I just used it as an example to show my distaste for circuit as a competitive stage. And it has nothing to do with the shy guys, lol. It has to do with the ceilings/walls. About to win the set with a backthrow from ness? Nope, wall appears. The problem is the ceilings/walls appear a lot more often than they should imo :\

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Just to clarify, I am completely on board with banning Gamer, and understand why it is banned despite it being my favorite stage, lmao. I knew the first time I played it, haha.

I just used it as an example to show my distaste for circuit as a competitive stage. And it has nothing to do with the shy guys, lol. It has to do with the ceilings/walls. About to win the set with a backthrow from ness? Nope, wall appears. The problem is the ceilings/walls appear a lot more often than they should imo :\
Ness perspective: "Crap! I was about to win with a backthrow, then the wall appeared!"

Opponent perspective: "Awesome! Good thing I picked this stage and made sure to stay on the right side of the stage so the wall would appear to my back."

The ceiling and walls aren't random; they are on a set track.

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
Ness perspective: "Crap! I was about to win with a backthrow, then the wall appeared!"

Opponent perspective: "Awesome! Good thing I picked this stage and made sure to stay on the right side of the stage so the wall would appear to my back."

The ceiling and walls aren't random; they are on a set track.
I stated earlier I was wrong about circuit being random. I just feel the interference of the stage is far too much for competitive play.

capsurd

Smash Rookie
Is there plans for more tournaments in the future? If so I am interested in joining the next one if possible. I also have a friend that is interested and we could be a team for the doubles event. Let me know if there is availability for the next one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom