• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 27, 2014] Garelaf - The Return (Gjøvik, Norway)

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394

The most fun and cozy tournament is back [Citation needed]

Facebook-event
NintendoDojo-page
In cooperation with Smash Norway, I'm happy to announce that Gjøvik's pride and honor is back!
Garelaf - The Return is upon us December 27th to December 29th. Prepare the winter clothes and the gamecube controllers, because it's about to go down.

This time we're having Melee, Brawl, Project M and Smash Wii U

VENUE- AND EVENT FEES
Venue fee: FREE (All thanks to Smash Norge for sponsoring the event!)
EVENTS:
Melee/Brawl/Wii U Singles: 50 NOK
Project M Singles: 30 NOK
Melee/Brawl/Wii U Doubles: 30 NOK
Duelist Pro: FREE
Wii U Quads: FREE

TOTAL: 270 NOK, THAT'S NOTHING FOR NINE(++) EVENTS AND A VENUE

~Schedule~ (Subject to change)
- Saturday December 27th -
12:00 - Doors open, setting up
15:30 - DUELIST PRO
17:00 - Project M Singles
20:00 - Smash Wii U Doubles

- Sunday December 28th -
10:00 - Melee Pools
11:30 - Smash Wii U Pools
13:00 - Brawl Pools
15:00 - Smash Wii U Bracket (top 4 from pools)
17:30 - Melee Bracket (top 4 from pools)
19:30 - Brawl Bracket (top 4 from pools)

- Monday December 29th -
10:30 - Melee Doubles
13:00 - Smash Wii U Quadruples (4v4)
14:30 - Brawl Doubles
Pools will most likely (not 100% sure yet) be bracket-format where top 4 advance. The final bracket will seed you according to your placement in pools, and you will not start in loser's bracket if you lost once in pools.

~Rulesets~

We will be using the official Smashboards rulesets for their respective games WITH A COUPLE OF MODIFICATIONS LISTED BELOW:

Melee:
- You're allowed to ban a stage in a best of 5 set.
- You may counterpick a stage you've won on earlier in the set as long as it isn't your most recent one

Brawl:
- Timer is 9 minutes
- Delfino Plaza and Frigate Orpheon are counter-picks.
- Your ban only lasts one cycle of counter-picking. If you win again, you may pick a new ban, or simply ban the same as before.
- Double Meta Knight is legal

Project M:
We're using stagelist 2 + Distant Planet, Norfair and Metal Caverns as CPs
Smash Wii U ruleset:
- 3 stocks
- 8 minutes
- Finals and semis are best of 5, the rest are best of 3
- No character bans
- Customs are LEGAL
  • If a setup if lacking your wanted customs, it's up to you to bring the custom build from your 3DS as I cannot be responsible for every Wii U-owner unlocking everything.
- Equipment is BANNED
- You cannot pick the last stage you've won on during the set
- Stagestriking follows the same 1-2-1 pattern as before, except for in quads, where it's 1-1.
- You get to ban two stages after winning a game
- Your bans only lasts one cycle of counter-picking. If you win again, you may pick new bans, or simply ban the same as before.

Starter stages:
Singles and Doubles:
- Smashville, aka The Masterstage
- Battlefield
- Final Destination/Omega Stages
- Lylat Cruise
- Town & City

Quadruples:
- Big Battlefield
- Windy Hill
- Kongo Jungle 64

Counterpicks:
Singles and Doubles:
- Duck Hunt
- Skyloft
- Castle Siege
- Halberd
- Delfino Plaza
- Pilot Wings
- Wuhu Island

Quadruples:
- HYRULE TEMPLE
- Omega Stages
- Duck Hunt

~The Venue, traveling and location~

Traveling:
Garelaf - The Return will take place in Gjøvik, a city about 1.5-2 hours away from Oslo.
If you're taking a plane to Gardermoen (Oslo Airport), I heavily suggest taking the bus "TimEkspressen" that goes directly to Gjøvik. There's a bus every 2nd hour, and Gjøvik Centralstation is the final stop, so it should be hard to get lost.

From the centralstation you got four options:
  • Take the bus. Either by localbus 31, 35 or 36, or by regionalbus 302(among others).
    These busses will all drive past the busstop "Brusvehagen", which is where you want to get off. Alternatively, you may also get off at "Kiwi Hunndalen", but you should probably ask the busdriver if it stops there, as not all of them do.
  • Walk. You probably shouldn't do this unless desperate. It'll take around 30-45 minutes more or less
  • Taxi. If you're traveling together with other people, taxi becomes a valid option, as the price split between you and your comrades should become about the same as bus or even cheaper! It's also nice to be driven directly to the venue and not having to walk at all. (Tell the taxidriver you want to get to Vardal/Vardalhytta/Vardal Football club or along those lines)
  • Getting picked up. Somebody at the venue may come and pick you up if they feel nice. Just ask and you might get yourself a cheaper ride(might even be free!)
Garelaf will take place at Vardalhytta, a cozy sports hut.
It is surrounded by big footballfields, so scout after that if you get lost. There are also like 3 different bridges nearby, so if you see one, you should be fairly close.

AMAZING PICTURE ILLUSTRATING WHERE YOU SHOULD WALK FROM THE TWO DIFFERENT BUSSTOPS:
Foodstores:
There are multiple foodstores nearby, each taking about 5-15 minutes of walking depending on which one you're going to.
Be prepared: Norwegian food is expensive

The venue:
  • Smashing will take place in the main room.
  • There are multiple toilettes spread around the venue.
  • There's a kitchen with microwave, oven, fridge and freezer.
  • Because this is a sports hut, there are multiple areas with showers and sleeping spots.
  • The area of the venue is fairly big, so finding a decent area to sleep shouldn't be too hard.
    However, this is Norway during the winter, so it is heavily suggested to bring something to sleep on and a sleeping bag.
Please don't make a mess in the kitchen.

Last edited:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
@ King Robin King Robin I will try to make the venue fee as small as possible, if not free. It's going to be 50kr max.

Some events, like Duelist Pro and Smash Wii U Quads, will be free, while other events like Melee Singles will cost 50kr or lower to attend. I'm trying to juggle accessibility and motivation, which is tricky with this many events, but we'll find a way.

Last edited:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I've updated the OP with the Wii U ruleset. I might to some slight changes to the stagelist, but it's mostly going to look like it does right now

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
If I can get some of my local bros to join me then I'll be surely attending. If I end up alone I'll most likely still come, but not completely sure.

Also dat legal Hyrule Temple tho. I get the feeling that it might just remind some people why we have 3 and not 4 stocks as well as the time limit... :3

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
It's also very fun, and quads is all about fun.
We tested Temple at a Quads-tournament, and it worked really well. It becomes more of a territorial battle compared to the other events. The stage also gets split into "segments" where multiple battles take place. Honestly, it's great.

I doubt the timer will be a problem. If you manage to run the clock by teching to 800%, then the victory is yours, I'd say.

Last edited:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Alright, the prices are now up in the OP. I'm happy to announce that there will be NO venue fee, at all.

This is only possible because of Smash Norge paying for the entire venue.

Endeby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Endeby
Really sad that I can't go, but looking forward for VODs and results!

Vurky

k
NNID
Vurkyzo
GL mah bois Jebu and LzR :3 I will try to come next time. I miss my Norgebros <3

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
Yep. Like I told Smash Norge, I can't attend this year due to family issues as well as time issues.

I'll definitely be there next year if we get Garelaf 2015 tho :)

Looking forward to results :)

Top Bottom