• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 14, 2014] iSmashTWO - 3DS (The World, Online)

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
A recommendation for people who can't find their people: Try adding the people you are up against and see if they have added you. The person on top of the bracket is host so they may just be hosting waiting for you

Faenon3DS

Smash Cadet
NNID
LITT1247
3DS FC
5086-2751-8400
@ Faenon3DS Faenon3DS there are clearly a bunch of no-shows and it's been more than 15 minutes, so can you randomly select some people to advance in the first round so the tourney isn't held up?
Hi mate. If you read the rules, it says I will do that at 8.35 :)

Faenon3DS

Smash Cadet
NNID
LITT1247
3DS FC
5086-2751-8400
All rules and info are on the Challonge page!

Last edited:

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
Lots of AFK's aren't moving, especially in the losers. I think 35 is too long for random, why not like 25 at least? Some of us are stranded in losers now for god knows how long

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Big thanks @ Faenon3DS Faenon3DS for running this tournament! Even with Challonge PM for communication it went more smoothly than I thought it would solely because the lack of stage banning. With or without chat I think this is the fastest strategy for getting games
moving fast. Unfortunately the no shows and afkers really slowed the tournament down.

Faenon3DS

Smash Cadet
NNID
LITT1247
3DS FC
5086-2751-8400
We had 123 people registered for this in the end, though with a number of afks. Feedback noted. The tournament was won by DoMi from Germany who also won the last one with an insane Diddy Kong. Second place was Gyo from the US, also with Diddy, and third place was Severe Calamari from the UK (I think Sheik?.) Thanks everyone who participated, especially those who didn't complain, hope you had fun and well done, however you placed!

Faenon3DS

Smash Cadet
NNID
LITT1247
3DS FC
5086-2751-8400
Big thanks @ Faenon3DS Faenon3DS for running this tournament! Even with Challonge PM for communication it went more smoothly than I thought it would solely because the lack of stage banning. With or without chat I think this is the fastest strategy for getting games
moving fast. Unfortunately the no shows and afkers really slowed the tournament down.
Thanks Nstinct, my pleasure.

Scr7

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scr7ven
I think the biggest issue that skewered the way the tournament went for a lot of players was that check-in started so early, which can easily cause a lot of people to check-in when it starts, but still not show up two days later when the tournament happens. If check-in started just an hour or two before the tournament, then the amount of no-shows on the bracket would be greatly reduced. The tournament ended up having a ton of no-shows that created extensively long waits for people who got at least two or three rounds into winners before being knocked into losers bracket, and caused quite a few people to drop out, either because they were running out of time and/or they just didn't want to wait for losers bracket to progress.

I know that running a tournament like this can be stressful, but the TOs should keep that in mind when running the next tournament. Thanks.

Faenon3DS

Smash Cadet
NNID
LITT1247
3DS FC
5086-2751-8400
I think the biggest issue that skewered the way the tournament went for a lot of players was that check-in started so early, which can easily cause a lot of people to check-in when it starts, but still not show up two days later when the tournament happens. If check-in started just an hour or two before the tournament, then the amount of no-shows on the bracket would be greatly reduced. The tournament ended up having a ton of no-shows that created extensively long waits for people who got at least two or three rounds into winners before being knocked into losers bracket, and caused quite a few people to drop out, either because they were running out of time and/or they just didn't want to wait for losers bracket to progress.

I know that running a tournament like this can be stressful, but the TOs should keep that in mind when running the next tournament. Thanks.
Hey @ Scr7 Scr7 Thanks for the feedback. The reason check-in was 2 days before was because for the last one lots of people forgot to check-in at all and then got culled, and then got very angry and abusive as a result. Also the tourney was across lots of different time-zones so it was meant to serve more as a reminder that the tournament was happening. But yeah I guess it could have been shorter .

Also, the wait had to be 35 minutes for round one, because players might only get to each other after 15 minutes from the very start of the tourney (the max time allowed in the rules -though I see this could be decreased), and then they would have had 15 minutes max to play their match if it went 2-1, and then five minutes grace to report their scores. I know from experience in iSmashONE of DQing people who were in the middle of playing their matches that looked like obvious afks, because they didn't put their FCs in their name and took ages, that this is necessary. But I appreciate that after round one if someone has already been identified as afk they should get DQ'd for the second time faster without this process needing to happen again. This is probably the end of my online tourney organising career, but if I am ever dumb enough to do a third one, I will process afks faster as detailed above

Faenon3DS

Smash Cadet
NNID
LITT1247
3DS FC
5086-2751-8400
I said it was totally optional for players and seeing already 20 people have joined the chat room, i think it was totally reasonable. The rules are set up in a way which you are quite right, not needing a chat room. However if you joined the chat room, many people are asking questions about the tournament. Would be helpful as tournament organiser to join the chat if you can
Hi @AnDEh92 , thanks trying to make the tournament run better and be more fun by setting up an unofficial chatroom for it. From my perspective, there's what happened, though: I tried to have a single central page with all the information necessary for the tournament. However, because people saw there was a chatroom which you had posted on Smashboards and on the Challonge Discussion page, lots of people went there, assumed the tournament was being run through the chatroom, and so didn't read any of the rules on the Challonge page. This made things very confusing and stressful!

I didn't make a chatroom for the tournament for a few reasons: I wanted to run the tournament efficiently through a single page (Challonge) and believed this was the best way to run it, from experience, with the particular set-up I was using (lots and lots of people, online, for a 3DS tournament, across different time-zones, all coming to it from advertisements in different places). I also made a chatroom for my first tourney, iSmashONE, and got (a) a massive stream of questions that were all already answered in the rules and (b) a lot of verbal abuse and swearing at me through it. What with that, a tonne of comments on a facebook event page, and a deluge of private messages on FB, Challonge, AND the chatroom, it became almost impossible to keep up with everything and the whole thing became a very unpleasant experience. Hence me wanting to do everything through Challonge this time.

If I ever do another one of these (though I probably won't), please don't make an unofficial chatroom for it. I will make it even clearer that there is no chatroom, ask people to read the rules on the Challonge page, and incoproate the afk-related feedback mentioned above. (Or at the most, if there is a chatroom made, it will be just for social purposes and made much clearer that people still need to read and follow all the rules on Challonge.) With respect, if you really want a chatroom, you can always organise your own online tournament and make a chatroom for that instead!

Last edited:

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I feel that that is not fair to say, the chat was very nice to have, promoted social interactivity, and even helped the people bored in between rounds for friendlies and the like.

Faenon3DS

Smash Cadet
NNID
LITT1247
3DS FC
5086-2751-8400
I feel that that is not fair to say, the chat was very nice to have, promoted social interactivity, and even helped the people bored in between rounds for friendlies and the like.
Yeah, I acknowledge that there can be some positive aspects to chat. I suppose that if it were ever to be done again there could be a another chat room as long as it were made very clear that the chat is for social purposes and that people still need to read and follow all the rules on the central Challonge page about FCs, hosting, stage selection, reporting and no-shows.

Last edited:

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I'd say it's really only the people who bothered to follow the rules who even showed up in the chat last time.

Top Bottom