• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 13, 2014] Popn Games & Game5 Present: Super Smash Bros. WiiU Tournament (POPnGAMES)

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
POPnGAMES and Game5 Smash present our first tournament for the brand new Super Smash Bros. for Wii U! Bring a controller and some friends and come out to compete in this masterpiece of a game at an awesome venue in Whitestone, Queens.

POPnGAMES is located at 149-43 14th Ave Whitestone, NY 11357
Registration starts at 12:00pm and the tournament begins at 1:00pm on Saturday December 13th
Entry Fee - $5
Venue Fee - $5
Street Parking

Rules

The tournament will be double-elimination. Players will face-off in sets of best of 3 games for standard matches, and Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals will be best of 5.

Games will be 2 Stocks 6 minutes

All items set to OFF and NONE

Custom moves, Equipment, and Mii Fighters are BANNED

Stages

For Game 1, players will take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one stage remains. This stage will be played for Game 1. The striking order will be 1-2-1
After Game 1, the winner of a game may ban one stage from either list, and the loser chooses the next stage to be played from either the Starter or Counterpick list. Players get one ban each per set

Starter Stages

Battlefield
Final Destination
Town and City
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks

Any stage in Ω form (counts as FD for bans)
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Pilotwings
Kongo Jungle 64
Duck Hunt

Bring your own controller (Smash for Wii U supports Gamecube Controllers, Wii U Pro Controllers, Wii Remotes, and even the Nintendo 3DS)
Come on out and have a great time!

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/760963323975453/

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hey man! As a fellow TO i wanted to come in and comment on your stagelist.

First, I do like your starter list. Thanks for not limiting it to three like some do.

However, you need to seriously ban Pilotwings. We've talked a lot about it in the stage discussion thread here on Smashboards, but you can camp and abuse the wall on the red plane portion of the stage, as well as camp the yellow motors under the yellow plane (which is much too powerful a position). The stage will cause issues if you keep it legal.

Second, your list seems to be missing many fair and common stages. For instance, you have Delfino, but where is Skyloft and Wuhu Island, two similar transformation stages that also support competition well? There is a stage guide for Skyloft as well as Wuhu Island if you want to learn more about the stages. I can say from hosting tournaments myself both work just fine in a competitive setting, especially Skyloft.

I also notice you have Castle Siege banned which is very confusing. The stage has been legal for the entire lifetime of Brawl and still works just as well.

Could you explain your reasoning on those three stages for me so I can understand?

(P.S. I also would say Pokemon Stadium 2 is an odd choice to be missing, it's legal on Anther's Ladder, the biggest online ladder for Smash 4 and has worked well in every tournament I have ran. I do understand that one is more iffy for folks however.)

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Hey man! As a fellow TO i wanted to come in and comment on your stagelist.

First, I do like your starter list. Thanks for not limiting it to three like some do.

However, you need to seriously ban Pilotwings. We've talked a lot about it in the stage discussion thread here on Smashboards, but you can camp and abuse the wall on the red plane portion of the stage, as well as camp the yellow motors under the yellow plane (which is much too powerful a position). The stage will cause issues if you keep it legal.

Second, your list seems to be missing many fair and common stages. For instance, you have Delfino, but where is Skyloft and Wuhu Island, two similar transformation stages that also support competition well? There is a stage guide for Skyloft as well as Wuhu Island if you want to learn more about the stages. I can say from hosting tournaments myself both work just fine in a competitive setting, especially Skyloft.

I also notice you have Castle Siege banned which is very confusing. The stage has been legal for the entire lifetime of Brawl and still works just as well.

Could you explain your reasoning on those three stages for me so I can understand?

(P.S. I also would say Pokemon Stadium 2 is an odd choice to be missing, it's legal on Anther's Ladder, the biggest online ladder for Smash 4 and has worked well in every tournament I have ran. I do understand that one is more iffy for folks however.)
This Stage List was a test of many ideas, some worked out well and others not, but we are confident in a new list for the future based off of what we've learned and experienced here

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
This Stage List was a test of many ideas, some worked out well and others not, but we are confident in a new list for the future based off of what we've learned and experienced here
It's cool to see that you are willing to adapt, also out of curiosity what have you come up with for future events?

Top Bottom